• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I actually hadn’t realized just how many people wanted Joker in Smash in all honesty.:p

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Lord save us if we have to wait for the game to be released (RIP moderators). Dealing with people laughing at people at their lowest (speculation) point is going to suck. e get it. Schadenfreude. No need to rub it in other people's faces
:060:
Look I know that mocking people is supposed to be in poor taste and should be discouraged.

But at the same time, I am really, really, REALLY tempted to just flat out state that I was right and people should apologize for being wrong due to making up arbitrary criteria. I especially hope that people doing so will learn something and not repeat the same mistakes again.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Can we all calm down? The conversation is over, and the mods shouldn't have to tell us every 3 days to be less aggressive. :p

Why don't we (calmly) come up with ways Red, the shapeshifting imp, can work for Ashley or something?
Make it like a warlocks imp in world of warcraft.

Either it passively shoots fireballs for a little extra dmg... like a dumb ai that just hits your last target...
Or as a manna battery... drain energy from it to replenish your own... that would require a mechanic tho...
have the abilty to sacrifice it for added dmg to your own attacks but u lose the passive AI dmg.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
The only thing adding Yu would do is make me wonder:
A. what music are we getting from that great soundtrack
B. When are we getting Naoto and Kanji
:061:
Ah, I see you are a man of culture as well.

The soundtrack for whatever Persona stage we got in this hypothetical scenario would be amazing.

Morbi

Scavenger
Typically when people say they want a character in Smash, they want them to be playable.

It's a dichotomy. They're playable or they're not. Being an Assist Trophy isn't nearly comparable.
Not going to lie, I would love for Black Shadow to be in the game as an assist trophy if he were not going to be playable regardless. I personally want a Majora's Mask stage and music more than most characters. The way they handled Chrom was actually really cool as he is more notable than almost any other non-playable character in Smash 4. But that just might be me.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I thought of some questions for this thread:

1. Would you rather see BOTW Link as total newcomer, separate from Link and Toon Link in every way with a completely new moveset, or a champion as a newcomer, with Link maintaining his same moveset but having his BOTW appearance instead?

2. How likely do you think a Dragon Quest newcomer is? Likewise, would you like a Dragon Quest newcomer or would you prefer another third party?

3. How many Fire Emblem characters do you expect to be in the launch roster? Will any of them be newcomers or will it just be veterans?

I actually hadn’t realized just how many people wanted Joker in Smash in all honesty.
Frankly im surprised how small Joker support is.

Persona 5 is one of the bigger games to come out of Japan in recent years. And Atlus has had decent relationship with Nintendo. (although SEGA owns them so shhhhh)Hell, we can be almost certain Joker will be playable in Persona Q2. AND we have an famitsu column (Might not be a column? I think it was?) from sakurai on Persona 5.

That seems like more than enough for smashers to start a bit of a bandwagon. Persona 5 is/was huge. Maybe it's just SB being an echo chamber but I havent seen much support on places like ERA either.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

1. Would you rather see BOTW Link as total newcomer, separate from Link and Toon Link in every way with a completely new moveset, or a champion as a newcomer, with Link maintaining his same moveset but having his BOTW appearance instead?

2. How likely do you think a Dragon Quest newcomer is? Likewise, would you like a Dragon Quest newcomer or would you prefer another third party?

3. How many Fire Emblem characters do you expect to be in the launch roster? Will any of them be newcomers or will it just be veterans?
1. Champion newcomer please. Either Daruk or Mipha would be awesome.

2. Possible, but I'm not sure if there's a clear front runner like Cloud was for Final Fantasy.

3. Five or six, with one being a newcomer. I anticipate at least one cut.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061

1. Link maintaining his moveset but gaining his appearance from BOTW.

2. I don’t think one is very likely and would like Arle Nadja from Puyo Pop.

3. I have no idea who will be cut but if they add anyone it’ll be Celica.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Persona 5 is one of the bigger games to come out of Japan in recent years. And Atlus has had decent relationship with Nintendo. (although SEGA owns them so shhhhh)Hell, we can be almost certain Joker will be playable in Persona Q2. AND we have an famitsu column (Might not be a column? I think it was?) from sakurai on Persona 5.

That seems like more than enough for smashers to start a bit of a bandwagon. Persona 5 is/was huge. Maybe it's just SB being an echo chamber but I havent seen much support on places like ERA either.
People don't typically feel like backin' characters that have a snowball's chance in hell of getting in. Even with the addition of Cloud, the ultimate "snowball's chance" character, people still don't want to back characters like Joker.

At least, that's my theory.

StormC

Smash Hero
Dragon Quest I think is too niche outside of Japan. Whenever Sakurai adds a third party, he seems to focus on their worldwide popularity.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Yeah, the Assist Trophy graveyard video on that direct really hit hard to home.

Even with the very FIRST Assist Trophy shown I was crushed. FYI it was Samurai Goroh, and I know some of you don't give a **** about him, but he is my favourite F-Zero pilot overall, and someone I really wanted for Smash 4. Knowing he was in the Melee trailer, and an Assist Trophy for Brawl, it held my hopes up for a second F-Zero fighter, and Goroh seemed to be the best bet. Suddenly came that massacre of a trailer, and the first bloody Assist Trophy shown had to be Samurai Goroh... I tell you, I was looking forward to that direct...

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Dragon Quest I think is too niche outside of Japan. Whenever Sakurai adds a third party, he seems to focus on their worldwide popularity.
It’s actually decently sizable outside of Japan, honestly I just feel that a character from Dragon Quest doesn’t stick out in the big pool that is the RPG genere in Smash, and that Cloud is sill the best option for one.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
Had you asked me if ATLUS would get a rep in smash 4 I would’ve said Jack Frost, but with cloud setting the precedent for popular characters representing their company regardless of history with Nintendo, I fullly support Joker being the ATLUS rep. Had breath of the wild not come out next year persona 5 would have been my GOTY. But it’s a close second. Plus imagine that music!

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Well as one who would really like Joker, I didn't realize that Sakurai had ever made comments on P5. It's an incredible game, and Persona has been on Nintendo consoles. I think basically anyone who has played P5 would agree that Joker would be an incredible inclusion, I guess he just wasn't a first thought. I think he'd sort of be like Snake where nobody expects him, so nobody says anything about him, but a ton of people want him when they think about the possibility.

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, the Assist Trophy graveyard video on that direct really hit hard to home.

Even with the very FIRST Assist Trophy shown I was crushed. FYI it was Samurai Goroh, and I know some of you don't give a **** about him, but he is my favourite F-Zero pilot overall, and someone I really wanted for Smash 4. Knowing he was in the Melee trailer, and an Assist Trophy for Brawl, it held my hopes up for a second F-Zero fighter, and Goroh seemed to be the best bet. Suddenly came that massacre of a trailer, and the first bloody Assist Trophy shown had to be Samurai Goroh... I tell you, I was looking forward to that direct...
Goroh was also the first AT revealed for Brawl. Given the 0 amount of new F-Zero games since Brawl, I knew he wasn’t coming.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

1. BotW Link as a total newcomer. Champion abilities as Zelda's specials.
• Upgrades from Moblin Club to weapons with better range and attack as Link lands hits. His previous weapon will shatter after accumulating enough whacks.

• Magnesis ability that can move an underground metal chest back and forth along the ground to pop opponents skyward. Chest explodes out of the earth and opens to reveal the best weapon BotW Link can have in battle. He must collect it in order for usage. Any BotW Link can collect it.

• Stamina wheel side B that allows Link to run extra fast, scale walls and glide.

• Lord of the Mountain mount that Link can fire arrows off while running along the field

• Down Smash that makes a campfire. Size of fire depends on charge. Creates updrafts that gliding Link can ride.

2. No interest in Dragon Quest, but I know little about the game. No remark on chances.

3. Marth, Ike and Robin would be my ideal. Corrin would be alright. No other FE characters unless they bring something special.

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Goroh was also the first AT revealed for Brawl. Given the 0 amount of new F-Zero games since Brawl, I knew he wasn’t coming.
I know... I'm the first to get crushed again, aren't I?

Luckily I won't take it that hard this time. Until F-Zero gets a new game, I won't hold my head up high on the F-Zero front, but if a miracle happened and we did get an F-Zero character, then I sure hope it's Goroh.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not going to lie, I would love for Black Shadow to be in the game as an assist trophy if he were not going to be playable regardless. I personally want a Majora's Mask stage and music more than most characters. The way they handled Chrom was actually really cool as he is more notable than almost any other non-playable character in Smash 4. But that just might be me.
For me I think it depends on the character.

Like I'd be ecstatic if we got Henry Fleming as an Assist Trophy because getting anything from Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. at this point would be a blessing. On the other hand, seeing someone you thought had a reasonable, sizable shot being one can sting a bit more.

StormC

Smash Hero

Luckily I won't take it that hard this time. Until F-Zero gets a new game, I won't hold my head up high on the F-Zero front, but if a miracle happened and we did get an F-Zero character, then I sure hope it's Goroh.
Would much rather have Goroh than Black Shadow.

I mention how even places like ERA arent talking about P5 in smash

Go to ERA

They are talking about getting Joker in smash

It's a sign. A SIGN I TELL YOU!

UFEEZ

Smash Rookie

but what about blood falcon? clearly everyone wants another semi-clone moveset

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992

Your first question would fit right into the WYR thread.

To answer, I think I'd actually rather see BotW Link as his own character, yeah.
I know people may hate this idea, but I feel like this would allow for BotW Link to have a very unique moveset, while keeping the Link we have now.

Second question: Not sure, maybe somewhat likely? I'm not familiar with much of DQ.

3. That's a toughie. I'd actually go for 5 or 6. Maybe we'll get a newcomer, but part of me doubts that.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I honestly feel bad for people who are fans of Code Name S. T. E. A. M. cause it feels like Nintendo gave up on the property before it was even released. They could have marketed it so much better.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Ghirahim is someone I was happy to see because I knew he had a non-chance of being playable. Sable too.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

Go to ERA

What's ERA? If they're talkin' about Joker, I wanna see it.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir

Go to ERA

Don't tease my emotions like that. He's one of those characters I'd make my main even if they were bad. I'd try to make him work til the meta became too advanced to push on further.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I honestly feel bad for people who are fans of Code Name S. T. E. A. M. cause it feels like Nintendo gave up on the property before it was even released. They could have marketed it so much better.
On behalf of all eight of us, we appreciate it.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace

I would rather have Link be completely breath of the wild based and have either toon link or a “classic Link” represent that smash link moveset.

I’m not familiar with the series but I would guess if square enix was to get another rep it’d be from that series

I expect the same amount, maybe with a newcomer. No reason to cut Corrin as they have a unique moveset and Roy and Lucina are too popular to cut

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433

1. I think I'd rather see a new Link so that Sakurai can really spend time making him feel like the current Link. Feel free to do that to Mario too.

2. Not very likely, even though it is a popular series, I think there are other third-party series more likely.

3. I think that Marth, Ike, Robin and Corrin are the safe FE character. Roy and Lucina are still so popular so they're probably safe too. We might get one newcomer on top of that... so seven in total which seems fine.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Did they really though? They promoted it pretty heavily if I recall and even tried to get Fire Emblem players to buy into it as a franchise through those characters being in it. And that was when Awakening had made Fire Emblem a big deal.

They tried to make that successful. It just didn't work out for them.

Last edited:
What's ERA? If they're talkin' about Joker, I wanna see it.
resetERA. One of the biggest gaming sites out there. it's pretty neat. They have a smash speculation thread. I dont keep up with it though. Just occasional check ins. It's hard enough staying up to date with this madhouse :p

**** now im staring to want Joker in smash. I loved P4 and only liked what i've played of P4 but I think Joker would probably be a better fit. Im a sucker for glasses but Joker just has style. Not to mention all the moves he could do with Personas.

And dear god the music. THE MUSIC
It's songs like these and this one that make me wish we could customize the music of menus, not just stages.

And two more just for good measure.
And the big one
Welp. Phantom Thieves stole my heart. I want Joker in smash.

Last edited:

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I feel like I codename steam and wonderful 101 fans should stand in solidarity, great IPs by great developers that didn’t sell as much as they should’ve.

Let’s hope at least one of them makes the cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom