• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I didn't say they would be added just for expanding a universe. I'm saying that might be taken into consideration. Toon Zelda & Dixie are not filler. They have numerous merits.
I'm not saying "filler" to mean there are no merits.

I'm saying "filler" to refer to what they serve as.
Case in point, Ganondorf in Melee. He definitely has merits, more so than the other 5 clones that were added with him. However, he was still filler because he was literally added for the sake of filling out the roster like they were. He's not really "filler" nowadays despite still being deviated from Captain Falcon, but it cannot be argued that he was a filler character in his debut.

It's the same with Toon Zelda (Dixie is kind of a strange case due to her situation, so I'll leave her out of this).
Toon Zelda was planned in Brawl as a filler, low-priority character just like Toon Link and Wolf. The only reason she was considered was to serve as padding for the roster as a Zelda clone.

If we got Toon Zelda now, it would be no different. She would be included solely to help increase the roster count as a Zelda clone, regardless of any merits she might have.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm not saying "filler" to mean there are no merits.

I'm saying "filler" to refer to what they serve as.
Case in point, Ganondorf in Melee. He definitely has merits, more so than the other 5 clones that were added with him. However, he was still filler because he was literally added for the sake of filling out the roster like they were. He's not really "filler" nowadays despite still being deviated from Captain Falcon, but it cannot be argued that he was a filler character in his debut.

It's the same with Toon Zelda (Dixie is kind of a strange case due to her situation, so I'll leave her out of this).
Toon Zelda was planned in Brawl as a filler, low-priority character just like Toon Link and Wolf. The only reason she was considered was to serve as padding for the roster as a Zelda clone.

If we got Toon Zelda now, it would be no different. She would be included solely to help increase the roster count as a Zelda clone, regardless of any merits she might have.
How would it be no different? She wouldn't be added to fill out the roster. I don't think you are acknowledging what her merits are.

1. Toon Zelda has more of a following than you might expect. She's not the most requested in Smash, but characters have large followings outside of Smash requests.
  2. Link & Zelda go together like peas and carrots, having the Toon versions together is a special case I believe. In a way, Zelda's following is enough of a justification. And Zelda is a special case unlike other universes in Smash. She's almost as important to The Legend of Zelda as Link is.
Filler is a harsh term to use for paying more attention to less requested characters. It's not really filler if you made a decision saying "I want this person to be a playable character."

Ganondorf is filler because Sakurai never even planned on adding him. I'm suggesting Toon Zelda may be considered from the start, because people want her/would enjoy seeing her (you should also take into consideration that characters can please fans that didn't originally think they would want them). It's easier toadd characters like her when there are less characters to develop, A.K.A.: Every single character in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS.

Maybe she would be filler. Maybe they decide to add her because they want to have a lot of newcomers, but they added everyone they thought they needed, they decided they want to have more. I mean you can accuse any "clone" of being filler really. You can say Wolf was filler, but people really wanted him AND Sakurai had wanted to add him since Melee.

As long as whoever is in charge decides they really want to add a character, I don't know if your interpretation of filler (searching for characters to squeeze in) applies to Toon Zelda. Like, Wolf, she was someone the developer may have really wanted to see in action, as well as Smash fans and Zelda fans. Ganondorf is a different case. Nobody originally wanted him.

D

Deleted member

You can say Wolf was filler, but people really wanted him AND Sakurai had wanted to add him since Melee.
Ganondorf is a different case. Nobody originally wanted him.
These are completely wrong.

There is no legitimate source that says Sakurai wanted Wolf in Melee.

Ganondorf was among the Top 10 requests for Melee on the poll Sakurai made.
In fact, part of why Sakurai thought to include Ganondorf as a clone aside from the fact his model matched Captain Falcon's was because of how requested he was.

Roberto zampari

Smash Journeyman
I'll express my thoughts about the characters in Smash Bros 4:

:4cloud2: Playstation character, never appeared in any nintendo console.
:4lucina: She must be a model swap for Marth :4marth:
:4ryu: He must include a model for Ken (Character from Street Fighter), both share same moves (correct me if i'm wrong.
:4mii::4miif: Pitiful excuse for the developers being too lazy to make new characters for smash.
:4megaman: His final Smash must include a Vent/Aile (from Megaman ZX) and Over-1 (from Megaman Xover).
:4bayonetta::4bayonetta2: Too sexy for a fighting game played for children.
:4darkpit: He must be a model swap for Pit :4pit:
:4greninja: Water Type Pokemon and :4charizard: Fire Type Pokemon, Smash Bros producers should include a Grass Type Pokemon like Decidueye.
:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig: Since when Bowser offered Clown Cars to his minions, this doesn't make sense.
:rosalina: Make princess Daisy more jeaouls.

What do you expect? The Smash Bros 4 port for nintendo switch? Seems legit.
Renember when Nintendo wanted to port Mario Kart 8 for nintendo switch?
Yeah, the port will features new vehicle parts, new Amiibo costumes, additional power-ups such as the Feather and Boo, a reworked Battle Mode similar to that of previous Mario Kart games with four arenas, and five additional playable characters: Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, King Boo and Inklings (from Splatoon).

Do you think that they will make a Super Smash Bros 4 DELUXE ?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'll express my thoughts about the characters in Smash Bros 4:

:4cloud2: Playstation character, never appeared in any nintendo console.
:4lucina: She must be a model swap for Marth :4marth:
:4ryu: He must include a model for Ken (Character from Street Fighter), both share same moves (correct me if i'm wrong.
:4mii::4miif: Pitiful excuse for the developers being too lazy to make new characters for smash.
:4megaman: His final Smash must include a Vent/Aile (from Megaman ZX) and Over-1 (from Megaman Xover).
:4bayonetta::4bayonetta2: Too sexy for a fighting game played for children.
:4darkpit: He must be a model swap for Pit :4pit:
:4greninja: Water Type Pokemon and :4charizard: Fire Type Pokemon, Smash Bros producers should include a Grass Type Pokemon like Decidueye.
:4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig: Since when Bowser offered Clown Cars to his minions, this doesn't make sense.
:rosalina: Make princess Daisy more jeaouls.

What do you expect? The Smash Bros 4 port for nintendo switch? Seems legit.
Renember when Nintendo wanted to port Mario Kart 8 for nintendo switch?
Yeah, the port will features new vehicle parts, new Amiibo costumes, additional power-ups such as the Feather and Boo, a reworked Battle Mode similar to that of previous Mario Kart games with four arenas, and five additional playable characters: Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, King Boo and Inklings (from Splatoon).

Do you think that they will make a Super Smash Bros 4 DELUXE ?
Time to go through this in order.

:4cloud:- Correction: Final Fantasy 7 has never been on a Nintendo console. Cloud himself has, through games like Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy Explorers, and Theaterhythm.
:4ryu: - I could see a Ken alt happening, though lately Ken has deviated a little from Ryu. Not much, but still.
:4mii: - Yes, they were too lazy to make new characters...so they gave us three new characters. Perfectly sound logic. No bias at all. Nope.
:4bayonetta: - ESRB and CERO didn't think so.
(Decidueye) - Decidueye has more than enough merits of its own. Completing the starter types likely isn't Sakurai's goal.
:4bowserjr: - It makes sense thematically. Lots of characters do things that aren't strictly canon. It's not like it's impossible for the Koopalings to use a Clown Car...but that's moot since they actually have.
:rosalina: - When Daisy actually offers something more than being a Peach color swap, then she has a relevant say in Smash.

Plus, your points against Cloud and Bayonetta would be potentially fair points if they were never in Smash before. They were though, so they're moot.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Am I one of the few people who want to see the Fighting Alloy Team come back? For some reason I liked the Fighting Alloy Team concept, but it just needed one more color representative; imagine if a Purple Alloy was based on Donkey Kong.

Of course, the main changes that I would give to the Fighting Alloy Team would be that they can no longer grab fighters, or use any kind of items. Also, their attacks would no longer have elemental effects.

Lastly, for Cruel Smash, you'd face the Omega Alloy Team, which would compose of darker colored Fighting Alloys with an Omega symbol placed somewhere on their body.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
User was warned for this post
Dude.

Like, Ganondorf was super popular around Pre-Melee.
I didn't say he wasn't popular. I meant nobody fan or developer really though about the idea of him being in the game.

These are completely wrong.

There is no legitimate source that says Sakurai wanted Wolf in Melee.
Last I remember, Wolf was going to be in it instead of Falco originally.

Am I one of the few people who want to see the Fighting Alloy Team come back? For some reason I liked the Fighting Alloy Team concept, but it just needed one more color representative; imagine if a Purple Alloy was based on Donkey Kong.

Of course, the main changes that I would give to the Fighting Alloy Team would be that they can no longer grab fighters, or use any kind of items. Also, their attacks would no longer have elemental effects.

Lastly, for Cruel Smash, you'd face the Omega Alloy Team, which would compose of darker colored Fighting Alloys with an Omega symbol placed somewhere on their body.
I want to see fans make Fighting Polygon models of all the Smash characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Last I remember, Wolf was going to be in it instead of Falco originally.
http://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/

Completely wrong.

Wolf as a Fox clone seems to be misinformation, as no source regarding Wolf in Melee can be found, other than this post on Neogaf. PushDustIn, the admin of this site, has since contacted this poster, who has admitted that all of this info was falsified.
I didn't say he wasn't popular. I meant nobody fan or developer really though about the idea of him being in the game.
Actually, he was very high on the Melee poll.
Ganondorf was among the Top 10 requests for Melee on the poll Sakurai made.
As Golden said.

Not to mention that according to our old friend @ChronoBound who was around at that time, he saw a lot of Ganondorf requests.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Not related to Wolf, but I thought the Banjo Kazooie thing in that source was a hoax set up by DidYouKnowGaming.
It's a quote directly from a Smash Dojo.

Banjo and Kazooie:“Incidentally, including a character from Rare in Smash would be difficult for various reasons. I know there are some people who think that Banjo & Kazooie are an obvious inclusion, but that’s unlikely for a variety of legal and financial reasons.”
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/syukeiken/return506.html

It isn't a hoax.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I wish to inquire your source.
It was an old "alleged" source that I just remembered from years ago. I guess it was debunked, but I was just speaking from a memory when people brought that up on Smashboards.

By the way, does that source mean that the rumor of "Chorus Men" being planned is false? Because I always found that to be completely preposterous that they would be chosen as a representative of Rhythm Heaven. Rhythm Heaven actually has a mascot. Adding a character from a specific mini-game would be like adding a Game & Watch character from a specific G&W game, like the wolf from Egg. Or a very specific character from Animal Crossing, who only fought using that very specific character's attributes.

There would need to be a character that represents the game as a whole. Like Rhythm Heaven Troupe

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
By the way, does that source mean that the rumor of "Chorus Men" being planned is false?
No that one has evidence of being true.

Rhythm Heaven had a dummied out icon in the coding. Said icon was with the character icons.

That and Sal imply Chorus Men were indeed planned.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I've been thinking about those Alloys in Brawl, too. Now, I never play multiman smash myself since I hate fighting CPUs, but I'd personally want them back for this theoretical Smash. Introducing a Black Alloy who takes on :4bowser:'s moves; White Alloys assume :4link:'s attacks; Pink Alloys take :4peach:'s moves; Silver Alloys can take on :4littlemac:'s set of attacks.

The Fighting Mii Team in Cruel Smash...I notice their moves do roughly twice the damage of a default-sized :4mii:. If they must return for Theoretical Smash, make it so in Cruel Mode their attacks are three times stronger for a greater challenge.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Where's the evidence for Chorus Men? All I see is the word "Rhythm".
The combination of the Sal Romano leak and this imply Chorus Men were planned.

The more we learned about the process of Smash 4 the more true the Sal leaks seem to be.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

The more we learned about the process of Smash 4 the more true the Sal leaks seem to be.
There is also strong evidence to suggest that Chrom was on the project plan at one point. Chrom + the "rhythm" emblem leftover data strangely fits Sal's leak 100%.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

That's not really proof. Even if he leaked accurate information before, there are many possibilities.
  • He made an assumption of who the RH character must be.
  • He lied, presenting his assumption as concrete information, knowing he has credibility and/or knowing he could never be debunked because the character would never appear in the game.
  • He made a mistake or misinterpreted information, which is a distinct possibility because the character had not even entered development.
This guy has credibility, but that's only because his info has become reality. That hasn't happened with "Chorus Men". So until he finds those two words in Smash's data, I don't take his word for it. Even Pra_Mai was more to go off of than "Rhythm". That is as vague as can be. It's pure speculation.

Edit: It's clear this is a RH character. It's not at all clear that it's Chorus Men or any other character for that matter.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That's not really proof. Even if he leaked accurate information before, there are many possibilities.
  • He made an assumption of who the RH character must be.
  • He lied, presenting his assumption as concrete information, knowing he has credibility and/or knowing he could never be debunked because the character would never appear in the game.
  • He made a mistake or misinterpreted information, which is a distinct possibility because the character had not even entered development.
This guy has credibility, but that's only because his info has become reality. That hasn't happened with "Chorus Men". So until he finds those two words in Smash's data, I don't take his word for it. Even Pra_Mai was more to go off of than "Rhythm". That is as vague as can be. It's pure speculation.

Edit: It's clear this is a RH character. It's not at all clear that it's Chorus Men or any other character for that matter.
There are even more things pointing specifically to the Chorus Kids.

- They were dropped for some reason. We know the Ice Climbers were dropped due to technical limitations, so it's possible a trio character like the Chorus Kids caused problems as well. Technical issues is likely what got the Rhythm Heaven character cut, making the Chorus Kids the most likely culprits.
- The Chorus Kids 3DS trophy rather oddly tries to...fill space, for lack of a better word. It stalls before talking about the Kids themselves. This could be because initially the description instead had a portion of their Smash play style written in. The Marshall, Cam, and Ms. Ribbon trophy on the Wii U also goes out of their way to mention the Chorus Kids.

Those are relatively minor, and could be coincidental, but combined with the Sal Romano leak, it's nigh definite that the Rhythm Heaven character was, in fact, the Chorus Kids. You'd need to make more assumptions to believe otherwise.

Occam's Razor, or something.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
There are even more things pointing specifically to the Chorus Kids.

- They were dropped for some reason. We know the Ice Climbers were dropped due to technical limitations, so it's possible a trio character like the Chorus Kids caused problems as well. Technical issues is likely what got the Rhythm Heaven character cut, making the Chorus Kids the most likely culprits.
That doesn't point to anything. You are making an assumption why a Rhythm Heaven character was cut and saying "Hey, maybe it was this character, because I can come up with a reason why it was cut." How is that evidence?

You have no idea why the Rhythm Heaven character was cut. You just made up an explanation for why one was cut, yet you're presenting that as the confirmed reason why a character was cut. You can not proceed from there to present anything following that as evidence for anything.

It's probably way more likely that a Rhythm Heaven Character was cut because it was the lowest priority character compared to the ones we got. And yet, I'm not presenting that as fact. That was speculation.

The Chorus Kids 3DS trophy rather oddly tries to...fill space, for lack of a better word. It stalls before talking about the Kids themselves. This could be because initially the description instead had a portion of their Smash play style written in. The Marshall, Cam, and Ms. Ribbon trophy on the Wii U also goes out of their way to mention the Chorus Kids.
I never asked you for stuff possibly pointing to a conclusion. I specifically asked for a solid confirmation. I can provide numerous things in Super Smash Bros. Brawl that point to Plusle & Minun being Pra_Mai, but I'd be wrong to act like it's confirmed. You are wrong to pretend that the Chorus Men inclusion is an open and shut case.

Those are relatively minor, and could be coincidental

Which is why I don't consider it a confirmation.

but combined with the Sal Romano leak, it's nigh definite that the Rhythm Heaven character was, in fact, the Chorus Kids. You'd need to make more assumptions to believe otherwise.
That's the most laughable thing I've heard all day.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That doesn't point to anything. You are making an assumption why a Rhythm Heaven character was cut and saying "Hey, maybe it was this character, because I can come up with a reason why it was cut." How is that evidence?

You have no idea why the Rhythm Heaven character was cut. You just made up an explanation for why one was cut, yet you're presenting that as the confirmed reason why a character was cut. You can not proceed from there to present anything following that as evidence for anything.

It's probably way more likely that a Rhythm Heaven Character was cut because it was the lowest priority character compared to the ones we got. And yet, I'm not presenting that as fact. That was speculation.

I never asked you for stuff possibly pointing to a conclusion. I specifically asked for a solid confirmation. I can provide numerous things in Super Smash Bros. Brawl that point to Plusle & Minun being Pra_Mai, but I'd be wrong to act like it's confirmed. You are wrong to pretend that the Chorus Men inclusion is an open and shut case.

Which is why I don't consider it a confirmation.

What's laughable is denying the Gematsu leak when it's so obviously legit, but outdated.

Every character listed got in (including name dropping the Mii Fighters verbatim, not just "Miis," and mentioning Wii Fit Trainer at all), except for one character who was confirmed to be planned to some degree (Sakurai mentions having made a moveset for Chrom) and the Chorus Kids (when we know Rhythm Heaven had a character at some point).

To assume the Chorus Kids were planned to be playable requires putting together obvious puzzle pieces. To assume otherwise requires a healthy amount of arbitrary skepticism and mental gymnastics.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yo. Jinjo.

Chill. Like seriously. This doesn't require copping an attitude.

If you're the alt of the someone I think you are, I was pretty impressed with your growth.

Don't fall into the old slip ups.

If you're not that guy ignore that last bit. :secretkpop:

On an unrelated note.

I can provide numerous things in Super Smash Bros. Brawl that point to Plusle & Minun being Pra_Mai, but I'd be wrong to act like it's confirmed.
Those things are probably wrong.

If Plusle and Minun were planned, they'd need two separate files for them to exist. One for Plusle and one for Minun.

Plus, the localized names for Japanese Plusle and Minun don't actually fit Prai_Maits very well. It's Japanese one barely works. I think it's likely something else.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
What's laughable is denying the Gematsu leak when it's so obviously legit, but outdated.

Every character listed got in (including name dropping the Mii Fighters verbatim, not just "Miis," and mentioning Wii Fit Trainer at all), except for one character who was confirmed to be planned to some degree (Sakurai mentions having made a moveset for Chrom) and the Chorus Kids (when we know Rhythm Heaven had a character at some point).

To assume the Chorus Kids were planned to be playable requires putting together obvious puzzle pieces. To assume otherwise requires a healthy amount of arbitrary skepticism and mental gymnastics.
Well, we don't know if it was exactly the Chorus Kids, seeing how the leak had limited information in a few spots. The leaker may have heard the team was looking at Rhythm Heaven, and assumed it must've been the CKs. Considering the leaker penciled in Chrom without ever mentioning Robin (who was in the earliest project plan we know of and seems to have been considered independently of Chrom), and considering Rhythm Heaven has no real clear favorite, it's worth mentioning.

There's strong reason to believe someone from Rhythm Heaven was considered...but we have incomplete knowledge beyond that. I'd pencil in the CKs as plausible, but I don't feel confident assuming it must have been them when our only reason to believe so made a few missteps.

That said...what if they do go back to the drawing board and give a second chance to a few characters who fell short of the base roster? Who might've been considered, only to be overshadowed and deemed too low priority? Who could be lying in wait that the greater fanbase hasn't thought of?

Friendly reminder: From a developer's standpoint? There's no chance in hell that Greninja was the only Gen 6 mon they considered.

Last edited:

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
There is also strong evidence to suggest that Chrom was on the project plan at one point. Chrom + the "rhythm" emblem leftover data strangely fits Sal's leak 100%.
To support more of Sal's leak, Bowser Jr. was almost cut during development and possibly one of the newcomers that was added later. The clones were added late in the development. Not 100% sure about Duck Hunt, but he was meant to be a surprise character and was also added later on. The only character I'm not sure is Rosalina.

EDIT: There are a few things I forgot to mention. I'm confused when Sal says that Lucas was going to be DLC. Sakurai had no plans for DLC at that time because the games weren't done yet. So, how did Sal know that Lucas would be DLC. Also, the part when the development team was debating whether to keep Ness or Lucas really confuses me. If Ness and Lucas were both planned in Brawl, why would the team have problems deciding who should stay or go? Then again, maybe it was just info. that Sal heard.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Friendly reminder: From a developer's standpoint? There's no chance in hell that Greninja was the only Gen 6 mon they considered.
If Chrom was that early in the list, then XY Pokemon was probably a slot that Greninja eventually took up.

The list Sal supposedly caught wind of, was pre planning and thus pre presentation.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
If Chrom was that early in the list, then XY Pokemon was probably a slot that Greninja eventually took up.

The list Sal supposedly caught wind of, was pre planning and thus pre presentation.
Careful with the "slots" talk; we know they don't think in terms of that. The leak did imply someone from Gen 6 was in the cards, but it doesn't mean more weren't considered prior to the roster being finalized, before the point where the leaker got word of anything and told Sal. It wouldn't make sense to bet everything on one mon who wouldn't even exist in the public eye until halfway through development; they would've had alternate options.

And I wasn't talking about the E3 presentation that first revealed Smash 4. I mean the original project proposal itself, which Sakurai showed parts of in a book a couple years ago. Rosalina, Robin, and Duck Hunt are all front and center in the proposal, meaning the only explanation for why the Gematsu leaker wasn't aware of them is that their information was incomplete.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Careful with the "slots" talk; we know they don't think in terms of that. The leak did imply someone from Gen 6 was in the cards, but it doesn't mean more weren't considered prior to the roster being finalized, before the point where the leaker got word of anything and told Sal. It wouldn't make sense to bet everything on one mon who wouldn't even exist in the public eye until halfway through development; they would've had alternate options.

And I wasn't talking about the E3 presentation that first revealed Smash 4. I mean the original project proposal itself, which Sakurai showed parts of in a book a couple years ago. Rosalina, Robin, and Duck Hunt are all front and center in the proposal, meaning the only explanation for why the Gematsu leaker wasn't aware of them is that their information was incomplete.
Ike was chosen in Brawl to be "Someone from Fire Emblem"

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ike was chosen in Brawl to be "Someone from Fire Emblem"
Which is exactly what I was saying with "Pokemon from XY."

It was open at first, but they settled on Greninja.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Daily reminder that the only characters we know were planned and dropped from the initial Smash 4 roster for certain were a Rhythm Heaven character and the Ice Climbers. Everything else is speculation, including whether or not Chrom was planned or merely considered.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Plusle and Minun were planned, they'd need two separate files for them to exist. One for Plusle and one for Minun.

Plus, the localized names for Japanese Plusle and Minun don't actually fit Prai_Maits very well. It's Japanese one barely works. I think it's likely something else.
I could be wrong but what if the reason there is only one file for Pra_Mai could be because Plusle and Minun were intended to be together at all times like Duck Hunt and not like Ice Climbers and Diddy & Dixie?

Plusle has Plus ability and Minun has Minus ability. They probably were intended to be together all the times and use their abilities to stick together and support each other. They could be a semi-clone of Pikachu.

They share some same moves with Pikachu like Quick Attack (Up+B) and Thunder (Down+B). They have their own moves like Spark Shot (Neutral B; from the Pokemon TCG like Pikachu's Thunder Jolt) and Wild Charge (Side+B; like Pikachu's Skull Bash but the duo suffers recoil damage when they hit other fighters). The normal moves could make Plusle & Minun feel different from Pikachu when they team up to do some of the moves Pikachu do by himself.

Rosalinatehplumber

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mariotrains
Switch FC
2537-5587-9586
I could be wrong but what if the reason there is only one file for Pra_Mai could be because Plusle and Minun were intended to be together at all times like Duck Hunt and not like Ice Climbers and Diddy & Dixie?

Plusle has Plus ability and Minun has Minus ability. They probably were intended to be together all the times and use their abilities to stick together and support each other. They could be a semi-clone of Pikachu.

They share some same moves with Pikachu like Quick Attack (Up+B) and Thunder (Down+B). They have their own moves like Spark Shot (Neutral B; from the Pokemon TCG like Pikachu's Thunder Jolt) and Wild Charge (Side+B; like Pikachu's Skull Bash but the duo suffers recoil damage when they hit other fighters). The normal moves could make Plusle & Minun feel different from Pikachu when they team up to do some of the moves Pikachu do by himself.
In Melee's Debug Menu. Ice Climber's name is POPONANA and one climber is POPO. So there's that.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Playable Inklings or don't even bother releasing a new version of Smash.

D

Deleted member

In Melee's Debug Menu. Ice Climber's name is POPONANA and one climber is POPO. So there's that.
However there are no "DIDDYDIXIE" or "POPONANA" files in the character effects folder, where the PRA_MAI data is.

Last edited by a moderator:

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Haven't posted here in a long time but with "smash bros switch" seeming more and more likely its time again for my favorite part of smash, character speculation!

I’m excited to weigh the likelihood of characters again but first I’d just like to say why I think a Deluxe edition of smash is better than us getting a brand new game, at least at this point.

So it seems to be the general consensus is that it will be "Smash Bros Deluxe" similar to "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe" and not an entirely new smash bros game. I think that's actually a really good thing for a few reasons; namely that Smash WiiU and 3DS always felt a little... unfortunately disjointed? and i suspect this means merging all the content (specifically stages) and that would give us the game, portability and all, in one nice package. The other reason I think a Deluxe edition is a better option than an entirely new smash game is that I seriously doubt whatever the true next version of smash is we would be getting all of the characters back, specifically not all of the third party characters. It took a lot to build up the roster we currently have and I'd hate to see some of the characters (again especially the third party characters who we are lucky to have) get cut. It will be hard to ever build another smash game with the kind of roster clout Smash WiiU/3DS has, basically I doubt any future game could live up to the current roster without getting the third party characters back.

Luckily by having this be a Deluxe edition of Smash WiiU/3DS I think legally they have all the rights to characters and the games content as it is to make a "deluxe re-release" of the same game. Maybe this was thought of ahead of time and why our most recent games are titled simply "Super Smash Bros." and not given a second title of "Melee/Brawl etc..." while this has been slightly annoying for the community to differentiate and talk about the games, it may have been a genius instance of foresight on Nintendo's part to name it that way, at least for legal reasons. I imagine a lot of the contracts read with the simple "Super Smash Bros." title and say something about allowing the character to be used on "all platforms and versions this game appears on". something to that effect, obviously I'm speculating but it seems likely to be a good loophole and something Nintendo would surely cover in case they ever want to release the game again, either for future printings or on a virtual console type situation years down the road etc... I doubt any of the companies would object to it and again it would allow for a Deluxe edition for switch to use all the same legal rights to those characters. I'm not saying Nintendo can use the character in any smash game they ever make but that the current ones title may have been purposely vague enough, and on multiple platforms already, that they probably have the rights to put the game on another platform (specifically the switch) and keep all the rights to characters.

There are other good things about a Deluxe edition such as the community for our current smash iteration still growing and how I want this game to continue to thrive and a new smash game could take the spotlight off of our current build of the game etc... but I won't lay out the nitty gritty of all that. Point is I think a Deluxe edition is > than a brand new smash game at this point.

The only downside I can see is in the controllers but I have faith they will allow gamecube controller adaptors on the switch, theres already rumors of a gamecube virtual console on the switch so it just seems highly likely, not worried about that really.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Speaking of which...if anyone here didn't see in the social yesterday, I finished a little something about character speculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom