• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Didn't say it earlier, but I'm so glad Sakurai doesn't ignore new stars of Nintendo.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
After all the fuzz about the blog posts prior to the Direct, I do find it kind of odd how they posted a song that was seemingly initially intended to be posted a week ahead, but then both Isabelle's trailer and gameplay video features the same old track that already was in Smash 4. We might still get an AC song on Wednesday, but it's an odd choice to not have it in either video.
We still haven't gotten an AC track yet, so I wouldn't be shocked if next week rolls around and we get a late remix that was intended to be shown off on Pikmin's day.

As for Isabelle using an old song, I'm not sure why they didn't use something new. Granted, they've done stranger. Ridley used an old remix of his theme during his reveal, but the official site used a new remix. Why not just use the new one for both?

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Continuing the trend of my ask you guys a boatload of questions, what are favorite games from some of you're favorite series?
I might not have any favorite series, but these are my favorite games from each character’s respective series.

:ultmario: Super Mario 3D Land
:ultyounglink: Majora’s Mask, I guess. Undertale made my like for this game go down since you kill a lot of creatures in it, though. Used to be my favorite game of all time.
:ultsamus: Metroid: Zero Mission
:ultvillager: Animal Crossing (Gamecube)
:ultsnake: Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
:ultpit: Kid Icarus (Wii Virtual Console)
:ultmarth: Fire Emblem Awakening
:ultsimon: Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
:ultwiifittrainer: Wii Fit Plus
:ultwario: Warioware (the Gamecube one)
:ultpacman: Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures
:ultsonic: Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
:ultryu: Marvel vs. Capcom (does that count, or no?)
:ultolimar: Pikmin
:ultmegaman: Mega Man 8
:ultkirby: Kirby 64
:ultinkling: Splatoon 2
:ultduckhunt: Duck Hunt
:ultfox: Star Fox 64
:ultbayonetta: Bayonetta 2
:ultfalcon: F-Zero (SNES)
:ultdk: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
:ultdoc: Dr. Mario

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Didn't say it earlier, but I'm so glad Sakurai doesn't ignore new stars of Nintendo.
Same here, I'm happy to know that Sakurai is trying to get some unique characters for fans both old and new rather than generally favouring one or the other.

Last edited:

Ronster87

Ronnie
NNID
Ronster87
Switch FC
7787-7027-5981
Sakurai himself should be the last reveal as a playable character.

His final smash would be using all the characters that didn't make it to the roster as projectiles, targeting all the haters and whiners.

Shroob

Sup?
The thing that's nice about Verg's leak is twofold.

While it 'may' spoil Incineroar, Ken and Geno... that's it.

He has no info on other Echo Fighters and he did not know K.Rool, so for all we know, there could be another 1-2 characters that could just 'show up' like K.Rool did all of a sudden.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
I have a question. What is the purpose of reaction videos? Why is etika so dramatic?

I would be interested to see him reacting to normal things

Shroob

Sup?
I have a question. What is the purpose of reaction videos? Why is etika so dramatic?

I would be interested to see him reacting to normal things
Some people like seeing people overtly happy.

When I have a ****ty day, sometimes seeing Etika ham it up, but being genuinely happy is enough for me to crack a smile.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I don't wanna start an argument but I can already see the flamewar if Dixie is an echo while Isabelle is unique, just like when Daisy got in but Waluigi not.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I told you he wouldn’t! He just wanted to throw out a couple of really popular, long-requested characters first, like King K. Rool and Ridley. I fully suspect that Elma, Incineroar, and Bandana Waddle Dee all have a strong chance of making either the base game or DLC, and Spring-Man and Rex & Pyra have a high chance of being specifically DLC. With that in mind, I don’t think we’re done with old characters either. Geno, Isaac, and Skull Kid all still have decent chances of appearing. Speaking for me personally, I’m glad that this title is more of a mix since Smash 4 was largely focused on modern characters outside of its 3rd party choices.

Last edited:

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
I don't wanna start an argument but I can already see the flamewar if Dixie is an echo while Isabelle is unique, just like when Daisy got in but Waluigi not.
Personally I'm fine with that. Animal Crossing is such a huge franchise, and now Isabelle herself is such a big character that she deserved a bigger role than a lot of us gave her credit for. I can accept that we were blind on that. Dixie on the other hand can have the same thing said, but we already got K. Rool for DK representation. Also honestly a lot of thing Diddy does, Dixie can do as well just with a DK style up special. I'd expect a bigger riot if Dixie also ended up being a unique newcomer.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Yeah I was thinking about this too. I feel like dixie is going to be in, i was assuming she'd be something like dr mario or maybe even isabelle/lucas but would be called an echo anyway. but now with isabelle in as a unique newcomer either dixie will be unique too OR more likely an echo thats less unique and i can see people comparing the two and not liking that... personally id just be happy to get both however unique their moveset or whatever they get labeled as.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Yeah I was thinking about this too. I feel like dixie is going to be in, i was assuming she'd be something like dr mario or maybe even isabelle/lucas but would be called an echo anyway. but now with isabelle in as a unique newcomer either dixie will be unique too OR more likely an echo thats less unique and i can see people comparing the two and not liking that... personally id just be happy to get both however unique their moveset or whatever they get labeled as.
I think Dixie will be (if in) a Chrom style echo, where she gets a couple of her own things while maintaining echo status.
What worries me about this whole Isabelle being unique, is that is decreases the chances of the characters we constantly talk about, so it's more than likely that some of them won't get in now. Here's hoping for dlc though.

Shroob

Sup?
I think the final batch of Echoes are what's going to be the most interesting part, unless the 2nd SE rep isn't Geno.

We know Incineroar(Or a Gen 7 mon) is almost a lock at this point.

But besides Ken.... who Verg may not even be right on being an Echo, we don't know any other Echoes, and probably won't due to the only Echo being leaked was Daisy, by Jon in hindsight.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I think Isabelle being announced along with the new AC game was the best case scenario for her, it was a Nintendo Direct after all and yet it got many people freaking out on Twitter and Youtube. We still have October and November left for 1 or maybe 2 more Smash Directs where in those are the shock character announcements

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Pains me to say this, but I'm starting to get worried that Dixie might not be in the game at all.

I wouldn't be too heartbroken, as I already got a whopping four of my favorite characters in, but I can't help but feel like the list of potential Echoes has gotten too long.

Shadow
Ken
Black Shadow
Dixie
Octolings
Impa
Ninten

And that's just some of the obvious ones. There's probably even more that Sakurai looked at that we're completely unaware of. Someone's gonna get their heart shattered come December, and I'm worried that Dixie fans could be one of them.

I think the final batch of Echoes are what's going to be the most interesting part, unless the 2nd SE rep isn't Geno.

We know Incineroar(Or a Gen 7 mon) is almost a lock at this point.

But besides Ken.... who Verg may not even be right on being an Echo, we don't know any other Echoes, and probably won't due to the only Echo being leaked was Daisy, by Jon in hindsight.
Not to preach to the choir or anything, but I don't think anyone should throw around the word "lock" like that anymore. Isabelle being a unique character has gotten a lot of people worried, and rightfully so. It's looking like we'll have no more than two presentations that reveal characters, be it as a Direct or a small little reveal trailer randomly shown off (Robin/Lucina).

There isn't much time left to reveal newcomers. Suddenly, all of these characters who seemed like a safe bet (Geno, Skull Kid, Gen VII rep, Issac, Bandana Dee) are looking like more of a risky gamble. Heck, I'm even starting to consider the possibility that we don't get any Pokemon newcomers, something I initially brushed off as crazy.

Shroob

Sup?
Pains me to say this, but I'm starting to get worried that Dixie might not be in the game at all.

I wouldn't be too heartbroken, as I already got a whopping four of my favorite characters in, but I can't help but feel like the list of potential Echoes has gotten too long.

Shadow
Ken
Black Shadow
Dixie
Octolings
Impa
Ninten

And that's just some of the obvious ones. There's probably even more that Sakurai looked at that we're completely unaware of. Someone's gonna get their heart shattered come December, and I'm worried that Dixie fans could be one of them.

Not to preach to the choir or anything, but I don't think anyone should throw around the word "lock" like that anymore. Isabelle being a unique character has gotten a lot of people worried, and rightfully so. It's looking like we'll have no more than two presentations that reveal characters, be it as a Direct or a small little reveal trailer randomly shown off (Robin/Lucina).

There isn't much time left to reveal newcomers. Suddenly, all of these characters who seemed like a safe bet (Geno, Skull Kid, Gen VII rep, Issac, Bandana Dee) are looking like more of a risky gamble. Heck, I'm even starting to consider the possibility that we don't get any Pokemon newcomers, something I initially brushed off as crazy.
I mean, Vergeben's choices are as safe as ever.

And now that its come out that not only is GameExplain member Jon leaking **** in their 'prediction' videos, but also a ResetEra mod, who is also basically saying Verg picks...

Yeah, I'll put a lot of stock into both these guys until they're proven bunk, which has yet to happen.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I can also see the flamewar if Dixie doesn’t get in while Chrom did

Shroob

Sup?
I think the biggest backlash is going to be if Square gets a 2nd rep but not Geno.

I can imagine the sea of salt already.

MalcolmBelmont

Smash Journeyman
I am pretty certain at most we will get 3-4 more newcomers at launch with Incineroar and another SE Rep fitting 2.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
I think the biggest backlash is going to be if Square gets a 2nd rep but not Geno.

I can imagine the sea of salt already.
Depends on the rep. SE has so many iconic characters, and I imagine a lot of them would be more easily recognized than Geno outside of the smash hardcore community.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I mean animal crossing has a lot more assets to pull from for movesets whereas Donkey Kong has used most if not all the unique elements

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, Vergeben's choices are as safe as ever.

And now that its come out that not only is GameExplain member Jon leaking **** in their 'prediction' videos, but also a ResetEra mod, who is also basically saying Verg picks...

Yeah, I'll put a lot of stock into both these guys until they're proven bunk, which has yet to happen.
To be fair, repeating what another leaker says isn't all that impressive. I don't know the history behind this ResetEra mod, but if he's basically saying the same thing as Verge, then it's hard to say if he really has inside info or if he's just piggybacking.

And as for Jon, there's an easy explanation - he knew the contents of this specific Direct. If he says he thinks Incineroar is getting in, then that doesn't automatically mean he's "leaking" real newcomers. As strange as it might sound, he might genuinely be predicting a character in a prediction video and nothing else.

Bottomline, I think it's risky to believe any leaker is 100% correct. I said this before, but even Gematsu got a few things wrong, and that wasn't until two months before release when everyone thought it was pure gospel at that point.

Honestly, i think pepole would be fine with Sora over Geno
People would move on in a heartbeat. It's not even comparable.

That being said, I feel like Ultimate might be Geno's last chance. Sora could get added at any time in Smash history, but Geno probably won't ever have a better opportunity than he does now.

Last edited:

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, i think pepole would be fine with Sora over Geno
I agree, Sora had a huge fan following during the poll and is probably going to be in the biggest game of 2019 so I think most people would be more than happy to see his cheesy grin show up. With how smash normally works they take characters from more recent entries as to allow more copies to sell by advertising the character, Sora being in smash is almost to good for Square and Disney.

That being said, I feel like Ultimate might be Geno's last chance. Sora could get added at any time in Smash history, but Geno probably won't ever have a better opportunity than he does now.
I think this could be Sora's last chance as well.

Last edited:

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
So, anyone else notice that Isabelle's up special had her sitting in a chair? Chair theory still holds. Well played Sakurai.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
After this I trust Vergeben 99%, so from what he said there is still to come:

-Alolan Pokemon (not Mimikyu, Decidueye or Lycanroc), presumably Incineroar according to one of his sources.
-Ken from Street Fighter (this one will most likely be an echo this time).
-Second character from Square Enix, probably Geno.
-Content from Minecraft, presumably a stage and/or AT (if I had to guess, a Creeper as an AT).

So let's say Geno, Incineroar, and maybe Skull Kid, Isaac or someone from Rhythm Heaven are possibly left. Also hopefully the Minecraft thing came with Banjo as a deal.

Last edited:

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice
In a ideal world both of them would be unique, but at this rate I doubt Dixie is in as a unique fighter tbh. I know she has potential, but DK has already a newcomer (something which honestly matters, especially since we most likely have 2-3 unique newcomers left ) and Isabelle's reveal was along a new AC game, so it isn't the same situation.

I understand why people may get mad if Dixie is an echo/isn't in, but it's not Isabelle's fault of stealing her "spot". At least I hope people don't blame her.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
After this I trust Vergeben 99%, so from what he said there is still to come:

-Alolan Pokemon (not Mimikyu, Decidueye or Lycanroc), presumably Incineroar according to one of his sources.
-Ken from Street Fighter (this one will most likely be an echo this time).
-Second character from Square Enix, probably Geno.
-Content from Minecraft, presumably a stage and/or AT (if I had to guess, a Creeper as an AT).

So let's say Geno, Incineroar, and maybe Skull Kid, Isaac or someone from Rhythm Heaven are possibly left. Also hopefully the Minecraft thing came with Banjo as a deal.
I can't bring myself to believe too much in Banjo. I feel like an arbitrary number of 72 is good though so four more unique newcomers. Incineroar, Geno, Elma, and Skull Kid. Calling it.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I can't bring myself to believe too much in Banjo. I feel like an arbitrary number of 72 is good though so four more unique newcomers. Incineroar, Geno, Elma, and Skull Kid. Calling it.
I just can imagine the scenario, if the Minecraft content is indeed true, of Sakurai going to Microsoft like:

-Gimme Banjo pls understand.
+Hmm.. ok, you got it, BUT you have to put Minecraft content in the game.
-Perfect.

I mean, I can totally see that kind of deal happening.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
My predictions are 4 or 5 unique fighters left.
Banjo Kazooie
Inceneroar
Geno
Issac
Elma or Skull Kid
With Ken, Shadow, Dixie, and Impa as echoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom