• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Ultimate’s Roster Select Screen

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I’m kinda surprised that they organized the roster by the order in which the characters appeared in the Smash series instead of their home series. I’m curious as to why they would bother organizing it in this manner.

• It could be to make the roster neater after unlocks, since everyone besides the original 12 will be unlockable.
  • Or it could be to honor the long history of characters in Smash.
  • It also would make DLC characters fit more naturally on the roster, since all the characters would be ordered by appearance.
These are just my thoughts. What do you guys think of this change?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My best thought would be that as the roster gets closer to being fully unlocked, fighters would eventually be organized by series, followed by their number value.

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
I'm hoping you get to fight them like you could in Melee , 64 and brawl before you unlock them, I always liked that it's like " you wanna play me? then you have to face me!" I forgot it was In WiiU smash as well lol

Last edited:

McSpanker

Smash Cadet
I think it might have something to do with the single player mode. Similar to how you unlocked characters in sse, I'm thinking maybe the single player in ultimate has some kinda gimmick where you're meeting/unlocking all the characters in the order they were put in the game. I mean, they're clearly making a big deal about the order, I'm sure it has some reason

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The order for melee is a little odd.

The defaults are in the order they appeared in the intro but the unlockables are in the order they're unlocked by KOs, which is really odd as Pichu and Ganondorf appeared in the intro.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
If you look at the smash website, it has characters arranged by both, with the option to toggle between the two. Now this might just be presumptuous but I believe this might suggest the option to customize the roster as such. This game has shown in what little we've seen to already be much more customizable then in previous games, so I wouldn't consider it impossible.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
If you look at the smash website, it has characters arranged by both, with the option to toggle between the two. Now this might just be presumptuous but I believe this might suggest the option to customize the roster as such. This game has shown in what little we've seen to already but much more customizable then in previous games, so I wouldn't consider it impossible.
That would be a really cool idea. It’s interesting to see this be implemented, especially since they seem to be stressing the characters’ order of appearance. Organizing them by series does make it easier to find a character, but organizing by appearance may be easier to add on unlockable and DLC characters without changing the order/position of the other characters. It’s a small detail, but an interesting one.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Hopefully it's just a demo thing since they lump in the echo fighters next to the original instead of where they should be. That or a toggle for the different sorting methods.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Considering the game is also celebrating the history of Smash; it sort of makes sense to categorize the roster chronologically (reveal or unlock criteria). It doesn’t bother me at all though having a feature to customize the roster by switching between numbers or series would probably be ideal.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'd love to have a "can set up the roster any way you want" option. Though simplistic options like by Series, by Addition Number, and possibly by some other unique thing like how 4 did it(so grouping Clones and Echo Fighters as well as 3rd Parties separately).

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I thought it also had to do with the order they were revealed - wasn't Sheik revealed for Melee before Zelda was? Why else would they be in that order.

It is really fun to consider this order though. I always wanted All-Star mode to go back to randomized like in Melee since the "series order" was boring, but now I wouldn't totally be opposed to having All-Star be in reverse debut order in Smash. That sounds like it could be loads of fun.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I thought it also had to do with the order they were revealed - wasn't Sheik revealed for Melee before Zelda was? Why else would they be in that order.

It is really fun to consider this order though. I always wanted All-Star mode to go back to randomized like in Melee since the "series order" was boring, but now I wouldn't totally be opposed to having All-Star be in reverse debut order in Smash. That sounds like it could be loads of fun.
Correct, Sheik was revealed first, playing off the OoT ties

Arthur97

Smash Master
Another issue with using the number system, is that it's kind of a mess. You got Meta Knight before Snake, Snake before Ike, Sonic before Dedede.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
The fact that the starting roster is the original 64 12 makes me so happy. I'm very excited to slowly but surely unlock everyone. I hope the same goes for stages. You have a select few to start off with including that beautiful Battlefield stage, and slowly unlock new ones and tons of old ones and watch your collection increase to the brim!

FSLink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FSLink
If you look at the smash website, it has characters arranged by both, with the option to toggle between the two. Now this might just be presumptuous but I believe this might suggest the option to customize the roster as such. This game has shown in what little we've seen to already be much more customizable then in previous games, so I wouldn't consider it impossible.
What would be neat is if they did this, and as you're unlocking the characters, the character selection screen mimicked the old games.

Like, it'll start out with the original 8/12, then after you unlock the Melee characters, it would rearrange to the Melee layout. Same for Brawl, 4, then eventually at the end it'll just rearrange them all in series order and have some sort of toggle thing on the website to resort things how you choose.

Top Bottom