• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Tournament Oxford, MS

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
April 10th, 6:30-to midnight, Ole Miss Student Union

2-10$ entry fee for each tournaments. Msg me what you think, it will probably be 2$. It just depends on how many people come from out of town. If a lot of people show up or tell me that they are coming from outside of Oxford, I will raise it accordingly.

I am going to try and get free pizza and some dell prizes as well.

60/30/10% of pot rewards for both of them.

We are also going to start things off with some pooools.

This is on a Saturday night.

Also going to start things off by using some pools, this way everyone can play a range of people and get more out of the tournament.

Rules:
--Starter

Battlefield

Smashville

Final Destination

Yoshi's Island (Wii)

--Counterpick

Lylat Cruise
Castle Siege:
Luigi's Mansion:
Halberd:
Pokémon Stadium 1:
Frigate Orpheon:
Pirate Ship:
Delfino Plaza
Pictochat
Brinstar
Norfair

--General rules:

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

POOOOLS
Round 2-4 Best of 3 matches
Round 5 Best of 5 matches.

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

*If a game ends with Ganondorf doing his suicide slam and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Ganondorf. If other characters can force a sudden death in a stock match, they will also be considered winners if it can be proven to the judge.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):

1. For the first match, both will use a secret ballot for their character choice, and a random starter stage will be provided.

2. After the first match, each player will strike a counter-pick stage.

3. After each match players will re-pick characters (without worker), the loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List with the exception of the striked stages.

4. The winner of the previous match chooses their character

5. The loser of the previous match chooses their character

Winnar

Smash Lord
INCOMING

Ole Miss vs MSU Crew Battle

AKA I might be coming to this with some other people from MSU, maybe. :D

$2 is a reeeeally small entry fee to travel 2+ hours for

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
<.< Crap it's on the same day as the Florida tournament Birmingham and AU is going to.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
INCOMING

Ole Miss vs MSU Crew Battle

AKA I might be coming to this with some other people from MSU, maybe. :D

$2 is a reeeeally small entry fee to travel 2+ hours for
Yea, I might raise it to 5$ or something, maybe even 10. If you can convince me that you are indeed coming, then I ask everyone who is already coming if they care if we raise it. I am also going to try and get Dell to sponsor us, so we might get an extra 20$ for the grand prize or something, and I am going to try for free Pizza from papa johns.

We have some seriously bad *** people up here, so you might want to just go with the 2$. But, I will ask etc. If you had any videos of peeps playing down there, that would help. I am less inclined to raise the price, if it doesn't look like anyone from MSU is going to win. If you guys compete with 3god, and all of the Tuscaloosa people, that'd make me feel a lot better.

I know Mookie Rah went to won of those tournaments and cleaned house.

If you can give me some contact info and we can chat about this.

I am hoping to get at least 30 folks.

Aw, it's Brawl. Oh well.
Yea, this is really depressing. **** drunk drivers, long live NES nOOb.

Winnar

Smash Lord
3GOD moved to Atlanta (or thereabout) during the summer, but we used to play with him a lot.

And yeah I go to a lot of AL tourneys, I'm going to one this saturday.

IHSB if I go then you should come and I'll keep you company with melee :D I've gotten a lot better so I might be able to keep up with dat samus a little better now

Metro - I can't really commit right now because I have no clue how much work I'm going to have to do that weekend, but I am interested.

I mean I can tell you right now if it's just a $2 entry fee then I'm not going to come. In the off chance that I won it probably wouldn't even cover gas money.

But yeah I'm on AIM a lot and I check smashboards fairly often so those are two good ways to reach me.

Also I do have videos uploaded but most of them are so out of date it's embarrassing

http://www.youtube.com/user/Winnarly

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Well, if you did win, you'd get around 40-50$, but yea I guess a 2 hour trip is a long way. I would only go if I was splitting the gas cost between 3-4 people.

I mean a lot of people who like Melee will be here, and we want to get other friendlies/tournaments going while we are doing the Brawl tournament.

I think Mookie broke me of melee, his marth and mewtwo destroyed my poor Link.

But yea, some people have suggested to raise it to 3-5 dollars at least. So, I will keep you up to date on who comes from MSU and the prices.

Winnar

Smash Lord
lol Yeah mookie is too good, but that's no reason to stop playing melee :<

Other tournaments?

Also no guarantees on whether or not I can win haha It's really possible I could go and get wrecked :D I'll do my best

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Ok, so 2 things.
1. I do not want people running off to play Melee instead of Brawl. 1 tournament shouldn't detract from the other.
2. If we are not doing them at the same time, and we get 4 set-ups, it should be quick. But yea, if we aren't doing them at the same time, we will not have TV/set up issues. I have the room booked for 5:30 hrs, so hopefully that is enough time.

I am very open to suggestions. However, I do not want to piss anyone off that has already signed up.

but yea, if anyone is interested in hosting, or wanting to talk about this, message email me at Elanwilson@gmail.com.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
I updated the list some, added Pictochat and removed Jungle Japes, do to everyone not wanting to play it. Pictochat seems fine though, as long as a missle doesn't hit you. And that is very unlikely to even appear.

Winnar

Smash Lord
It's not uncommon for people to like pictochat. It's very common for people to hate japes

good call imo :D

Oh, sorry I was afk the one time you were on aim :( I'm online very often you just got unlucky sorry D:

Or we can just talk here, or I guess if you want I can give you my number and we can text about stuff. Whatever is cool

Winnar

Smash Lord
I'ma be there. Anyone up for money matches? By money matches I mean MMA sparring.
Mooooookieraaaaaah~

okay my likelihood of showing up just shot up by a pretty large margin

sweeeeeet

Mookie when we aren't doing brawl matches you should teach me melee because you are the sage

Also can you teach me that trick where you throw your controller into the GCN controller port? That is mad awesome and I want to be that cool

Wolfeye

Smash Apprentice
I see the word "tournamentS" but only see brawl for sure in this discussion. What exactly is going to be played here? (I play melee but I might join in on Brawl).

I'll be in town as always, but I can't guarantee that I can enter since my family will be here that weekend.
At the very least I'll try to stop by and maybe get some friendlies if there are TVs for that.

Curlz

Smash Lord
Awww.... I was actually interested in coming, but its the same day as Melee 1 here in LA. I love Mississippi and I want to go. :[

Sorry.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
It depends on how long Brawl takes. If we get 4 set-ups going on, and if people stay, then I will do a Melee or a Street Fighter tournament. It seems like we might branch off into a 2 tv set-up for a street fighter and melee, after the brawl tournament. But, yea until I can get another TV, I am not sure if we will have more than 3 set-ups.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Mookie when we aren't doing brawl matches you should teach me melee because you are the sage
LOL, that is so not true. Especially now that I'm out of practice. In any case, I'll be glad to show you some melee stuff.

@Metro Knight
I'm definitely sure that the tupelo group and I will be able to bring two complete set ups on our own. That puts us at 4 tvs and 4 wii's right there.

@Everyone else
Bring setups! 4 is nice, but it will be way smoother if we have 5 or 6 setups.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I can bring a wii and every smash game on it. (including 64 and b+)...but I have no portable non-LCD tv :(

I'm not sure who else is coming with me, but if it's a carful then I'm sure we can find someone with at least one other TV and maybe a whole nother setup

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Why does it have to be an LCD screen tv? When did this become the norm? Hell, the Wii can't even output hi-def stuff for ****, so it's really not even worth it.

Since setups are an issue I'll try to get as many as I can. Hell it's possible that I might come with 3 tvs (2 crts and 1 lcd) with 3 wii's, and a ps3.

[EDIT]

Oh Winnar, I hear you have a good CF in Brawl. We gotta do battle then. There isn't enough room at this tournament for two Falcon players.

BTW, I got dibs on Fab Falcon colors (pink & white Falcon).

SmashProJJFF

Smash Journeyman
I will be in Oxford for a track meet on Saturday. I am very bad at video games, except for Super Smash Brothers: Melee Fighting Edition. Should I come to this tournament?

SmashProJJFF

Smash Journeyman
Additionally, if anyone wants to race me over a distance of 1500 meters, I will take on all comers. You can challenge me before or after your MMA bout with Mookie.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
****it Scrib, if I knew that I would have kept up with my sprinting. Not that I would even come close to winning if I was doing that, but I would have taken you up on it if I did.

I probably still will though, cause I'd like to just see what kind of pace you set. In any case, you should definitely come though, if only just to drop by. I haven't seen you in forever.

SmashProJJFF

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, there's a good chance I would be stopping by, even if just to steal an inordinate amount of free pizza and then leave.

Also, JC Pwn said he couldn't post for some reason, so he asked me to post this for him:

"i also accept any challenges in mma fighting that involve face hitting (only
the arm wrestling kind), foot races in distances approximately but not
necessarily 100 meters, vehicle races in 1/8th of a mile involving
automobiles weighing over 2 tons...

any challenges made subject to my presence, which is subject to whether or
not there is a teams melee tournament that i can win money by winning the
first place cashtastic cash prize."

Au revoir.

jcpwn

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, there's a good chance I would be stopping by, even if just to steal an inordinate amount of free pizza and then leave.

Also, JC Pwn said he couldn't post for some reason, so he asked me to post this for him:

"i also accept any challenges in mma fighting that involve face hitting (only
the arm wrestling kind), foot races in distances approximately but not
necessarily 100 meters, vehicle races in 1/8th of a mile involving
automobiles weighing over 2 tons...

any challenges made subject to my presence, which is subject to whether or
not there is a teams melee tournament that i can win money by winning the
first place cashtastic cash prize."

Au revoir.
what he said.

SmashProJJFF

Smash Journeyman
So what's the deal? Might you guys be willing to do a Melee tournament (or more specifically, a Melee team tournament)? What about a little earlier in the day, preceding the main event? That would suit my needs, as a person.¹

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I may be attending this, it's an hour drive but if I can get some company to ride with I'll definitely come down. not sure about setups since my wii was in... an accident.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Well, we should have enough set-ups, but if you could have one just in case.

IF we have enough time, we will fit in melee. I think the whole thing will go for about 3 hours. So, we should have time for a melee tournament.

We can't do it earlier, because there is another event at the Ole Miss Student Union, so I got it as long as I could. It is a pretty large room, so even with 6 set-ups it will be very spacious.

SmashProJJFF

Smash Journeyman
Fair enough. Is it at all possible that we could do the (or a) Melee teams tournament at the beginning, as a prelude to the main event? I imagine it could be brief, and it could go on while dudes are warming up. Maybe concurrent to crew battles?

Not to take over your event. It would just be better for my group of dudes.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
How long would a crew battles take?

Atm we have peeps wanting to a TvC tournament, a brawl doubles tournament, and a melee tournament, so I dunno if we will be able to fit much else in.

I do not want anything infridging on the main event. So, hopefully with 6 set-ups, we have some time at the end for these other tournaments. But, none of these are coming first. We had 1 tournament stopped before we could finish, and that is not happening again.

SmashProJJFF

Smash Journeyman
hey pwn dudes why have I not played smash with you guys? :( We live in the same city?
Mostly because we are vestiges of the past. Our cash battling days are over, and this is but a feeble attempt to regain our expired youth. By which I mean, we are very, very old, and we retired way back in two-aught-aught-seven.

But I would probably play if you wanted. Melee, that is.

Winnar

Smash Lord
How long would a crew battles take?

Atm we have peeps wanting to a TvC tournament, a brawl doubles tournament, and a melee tournament, so I dunno if we will be able to fit much else in.

I do not want anything infridging on the main event. So, hopefully with 6 set-ups, we have some time at the end for these other tournaments. But, none of these are coming first. We had 1 tournament stopped before we could finish, and that is not happening again.
Yeah crew battles only happen if there's time, so I wasn't really expecting them to happen. It's just fun to talk about, especially with us being rivals and all :O

Mostly because we are vestiges of the past. Our cash battling days are over, and this is but a feeble attempt to regain our expired youth. By which I mean, we are very, very old, and we retired way back in two-aught-aught-seven.

But I would probably play if you wanted. Melee, that is.
do want

let's do it

Top Bottom