• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash technique?

smashing

Smash Rookie
Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get better at super smash? I consider myself OK, but I don't really know any advanced combos and strategies. Can someone point me to the right thread or tutorial?

Thanks

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Learn to shorthop and z cancel with at least 98% accuracy, then move on to combos, watching videos of stuff helps a lot.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
learn to constantly do attacks pointing towards your opponent. If you do this you also avoid a lot being hit.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
... Consistent patterns are bad vs human opponents. Ya gotta throw in some random air moves to be confusing.
How are them bad? as long as the attacks don't take lag or lead to a failed z-cancel. I think its a good strategy to use if you want to play offensive. You pressure your opponent a lot, you avoid a lot being hit, and sooner or later you will hit him and make a combo on him.
But if the opponent is a campy/gay avoiding player, you gotta play smarter...

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
How are them bad? as long as the attacks don't take lag or lead to a failed z-cancel. I think its a good strategy to use if you want to play offensive. You pressure your opponent a lot, you avoid a lot being hit, and sooner or later you will hit him and make a combo on him.
But if the opponent is a campy/gay avoiding player, you gotta play smarter...
But you can't do this until you've played the game long enough to know your spacing and what is and isn't safe to do... so not the best advice for someone learning basics.

But yeah, cover the advanced techs and all the tech skill stuff (z-cancels, shorthops, all that jazz covered in one of the stickied threads), once you can do those pretty consistently in real matches, start playing real players.

Watching videos of good players will jumpstart your game as well. You will NOT notice a great deal of the subtleties and things that are going on in the videos of a very high level until you start to play really good players and get closer to their level, but as a starting point there is nothing better to teach you how to use characters and the kind of motions and combos that are possible.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Because people always randomly attack nothing in the other direction of their opponent...
What im trying to say is noobs usually do an attack, and if they fail, they take too much time in thinking about the next attack. My point is, chase your opponent fast and constantly

Metà

Smash Master
What im trying to say is noobs usually do an attack, and if they fail, they take too much time in thinking about the next attack. My point is, chase your opponent fast and constantly
I think it's more important to have good control and accuracy before you try just throwing out attacks as quickly as possible. Pressure game is ridiculous in 64, but unless you have good control over your character, you're going to leave some huge openings, which any good player can take advantage of and just rip you apart.

in short, get a strong handle on the game before just going all out with speed and combos

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Mainly from this whole discussion about throwing out moves, remember that you are ALWAYS vulnerable when moving, and that protecting yourself is key.

For example (and this will be gross generalization for the sake of explaining things), when running off a platform away from an enemy, do an aerial corresponding to the direction of your enemy. The intent here is not to hit your enemy but to cover your arse while you move from platform to ground. If your enemy predicted your running off the platform and ran to the end to get you, they would then eat an aerial to the face.

Obviously good players know there is no opening there and won't run straight at you like that even if they know you're going to run off the platform, so you may ask, why bother throwing out the aerials? Because if you don't protect yourself, that habit WILL be picked up on and you will get punished.

Of course, even this above example is not absolute. Do the same thing too often in ANY situation in a smash game and it becomes predictable, even the simple act of running off a platform and throwing out an aerial (for example, a good player could run into an upsmash that eats the aerial you've been using and is well-spaced so they don't trade any hits, then proceed to combo the crap out of you, or move to a safer position overtop of you to attack, etc.). But don't worry about it all too much. Just practice your tech stuff, learn setups, styles and matchups from videos, and most importantly PLAY GOOD PLAYERS. Don't just play them, also observe what they do with their character, their responses, their offensive maneuvers, etc. You will learn more from that than any video or person can tell you.

Top Bottom