• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Switch Speculation: Third-Parties

thirdparties.jpg

Note: These articles are more for discussion purposes before E3. They'll be short, sweet, and to the point for a brief recap and looking into possible characters/stages for each series in Smash Bros. These also go by a "Don't expect too much" philosophy. Please remember to be civil in the comments discussion.

Third-Parties have been in Smash ever since Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Sonic and Snake made it into Brawl, each with their own stages. In Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U, Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta made it in, and like in Brawl, each third-party character has a stage of their own - Sonic and Pac-Man even have two across both versions.

What about this time?

Returning Characters

Assuming third-party characters return, it's impossible not to see Sonic on the roster. Bayonetta is very likely too, due to Platinum's partnership with Nintendo, who funded the development of both Bayonetta 2 and the upcoming Bayonetta 3. Beyond that? It's a bit muddled. Pac-Man is likely, especially if Bandai Namco has a hand in development. Mega Man and Ryu's changes depend on how Nintendo and Capcom are feeling, and Cloud depends on how Nintendo and Square Enix are doing - though both publishers have some high-profile. Snake's the least likely to return, especially since Hideo Kojima is no longer working for Konami, but it's not impossible.

New Characters

There's a lot so we have to kind of look at it based on the company that owns each character. First, multiple characters per company is definitely possible, but it's hard to predict. Level-5 could definitely pull a character out with Professor Layton. Rayman from Ubisoft is also be a strong contender. Banjo and Kazooie aren't impossible, and neither are some other characters from previous rivals. The only ones I'd be particularly sketchy on are Bomberman, due to the current status of Konami, as well as anything from EA. Anything else is practically fair game.

One important note for new and returning characters is a lot of the time, it's popularity that helps make a big push. Of the six third-party characters in Smash 3DS/Wii U, four had new games out or on the horizon - Sonic had Lost World, Ryu had Street Fighter V, Bayonetta had Bayonetta 2 and Cloud has the upcoming remake of Final Fantasy VII.

Returning Stages

So far Green Hill Zone has been the only third-party stage to ever appear in more than one game, having been in both Brawl and Smash 3DS. The chances of any other third-party stage returning is based purely on timing.

New Stages

All we can say so far is that we'll likely see only one stage per third-party character

Author's Note: What are your thoughts on the third-party franchises? What third-parties would you like to see in Smash for Switch? Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

Simon Belmont from Castlevania would be interesting to see, as well as maybe Zero from Mega Man. Honestly not even sure about their chances.

I'm expecting Sonic to get a new rep. This will be the Sonic series' third time coming back and I can't picture them not adding a secondary newcomer on the series' third iteration in Smash. All represented veteran series in Smash have never gone longer than two games without receiving a new character.

People think that Tails is the most likely candidate, but I disagree. Personally I think that Dr. Eggman is the likeliest newcomer from the Sonic franchise. He is the second most important character in the entire series apart from Sonic himself, and the only one besides Sonic who has made an appearance in every game. Not only that, but his addition would bring a whole bunch of things to the table, such as being a new super heavyweight character, a new villain, and the first secondary character from a third party franchise.

If it isn't Eggman, I would like Knuckles. But I honestly lean towards Eggman.

Barring certain rumors being proven true. It's actually kinda hard to know who our first new 3rd party will be.

I certainly expect most of the Smash 4 cast of 3rd Parties to make their return. Ryu and Cloud are the only ones that may be slightly questionable if there had to be some to doubt, but even then I see their chances of returning are more likely then not IMO.

It's only going to get even crazier though upon DLC. All 3 DLC 3rd parties in Smash 4 broke some previous misconceptions. And there could be more that do the same. A 2nd character from a single 3rd party franchise could definitely be possible, Tails for Sonic should definitely be one of the frontrunners if that's going to happen. Though another possibility is a secondary Final Fantasy character which could either be Terra or a rep from an even earlier Final Fantasy to rep the more classic Nintendo part of the franchise. Albeit I think Square might want to expand to other stuff like Dragon Quest if they're given the ok for another rep. Though the most wanted 3rd parties for DLC will no doubt be Crash Bandicoot and Banjo-Kazooie. Crash may have just missed the boat for when the base roster was picked, but he'll definitely have the support for DLC now. And Banjo will require some really interesting legal red tape to get through, but given Spencer's approval we can't count it out completely. Though I certainly don't expect that to be quite that easy.

Realistic: Tails, Knuckles, Zero, ProtoMan and Bass are Mega Man Alts. or making a new moveset, Klonoa, Professor Layton, Jibanyan, Rayman, Bomberman, Asuka of Senran Kagura, Tetris, Simon Belmont, Quote, Commander Video

Unrealistic: Arle Nadja, Shadow, Ryu Hayabusa, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Axl, Dig Dug (Taizo Hori), Steve (MInecraft), travis Touchdown, featuring Dante from Devil May Cry Series, Shantae, Shovel knight, Master Higgins, Bonk the Caveman, Sparkster

Last edited:
Unless he took Mega Man's place, if Zero got added as playable, then people would want a second Sonic character--and so on. That said, to avoid drama, I think every third party franchise in Smash should be limited to one playable character. [EDIT] Then again, crossing the line doesn't always lead to bad.

There are many non-Nintendo characters whom I think would be very unique in Smash. However, if I were to pick just one, mine most wanted third-party newcomer would have to be Gunvolt. Despite its obscurity, the Gunvolt Chronicles is living proof that a game doesn't have to have HD graphics in order to be top-notch. It is a spiritual successor to the Mega Man series, so I feel that boosts Gunvolt's chances at least a little. Gamespot, mine most trusted source of gaming news since 2004, gave both Azure Striker Gunvolt 1&2 an 8/10. That said, I have high hopes for the third game, Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX.

In the end, though, Gunvolt's reveal would probably cause an uproar, since most people wouldn't even know whom he is. That said, as much as I want him in, I don't have high hopes.

Last edited:
Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Scorpion, Shantae, Layton, and Simon Belmont are the only new 3rd parties for new series I can think of are possible enough

Sonic is the only series I see gaining more than one rep down the road (Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, Amy,...Boom Sonic), and I also see the series bringing back GHZ and WHZ alongside a new stage based on either Forces or Mania

Pac-Man...only Pac-Maze should return imo (new stage also)
Mega-Man/Street Fighter = a new stage and more music (Ryu should gain customs based on his clones)
Bayonetta a new stage alongside her current one and a Jeanne alt
Final Fantasy idk anything about so idk

...Boom Sonic
If we somehow got a literal 2nd Sonic (Which I certainly hope not). It'd probably be Classic Sonic. And would be similar to Toon Link in being a Smaller clone that doesn't hit as hard.

Though I'd rather Classic Sonic just be an alt. Even if they had to make it look somewhat odd by resizing Classic Sonic to Modern Sonic's height. I used a Classic Sonic mod on Project M and it looked and worked fine enough for my purposes. Though may still look odd to others.

I'd take a Classic Sonic clone over the possibility of a clone Shadow though. But please if we must go to some sort of cloning of Sonic. Just get Tails and/or Knuckles as Semi-clones.

If we somehow got a literal 2nd Sonic (Which I certainly hope not). It'd probably be Classic Sonic. And would be similar to Toon Link in being a Smaller clone that doesn't hit as hard.

Though I'd rather Classic Sonic just be an alt. Even if they had to make it look somewhat odd by resizing Classic Sonic to Modern Sonic's height. I used a Classic Sonic mod on Project M and it looked and worked fine enough for my purposes. Though may still look odd to others.

I'd take a Classic Sonic clone over the possibility of a clone Shadow though. But please if we must go to some sort of cloning of Sonic. Just get Tails and/or Knuckles as Semi-clones.
If Shadow was a character, he’d probably focus more on Chaos powers and guns than be a Sonic clone, and Boom Sonic would make more sense as an alt (they already have the exact or atleast similar height to one another), but Classic I’d like to see apart of his Final Smash or victory poses (an appearance on a new stage works also)

Tails and Knuckles, if not playable, could be perfect for his customs (Tails for a recovery and Knuckles for a side b, heck Amy could use her hammer on him for any of his specials)

I thought they could easily go Alt characters for most of the 3rd parties
Sonic/Shadow/
MegaMan/ProtoMan
Ryu/Dan/ken/Sakura
Pac Man/ Mrs Pacman

Of cource they could always go the clone route with these.
Example, Proto Man is often depicted as a bit more fragile (takes extra damage) due to his faulty power core, But he outputs more damage, And has his shield (often works kinda like the Link's shield but in the Air.)

But (barring some small animation differences like Shadow's rocket skates) I feel going to Alt route is the best chance for more existing 3rd party Rep.

Sonic/Shadow/
MegaMan/ProtoMan
Ryu/Dan/ken/Sakura
Pac Man/ Mrs Pacman

Example, Proto Man is often depicted as a bit more fragile (takes extra damage) due to his faulty power core, But he outputs more damage, And has his shield (often works kinda like the Link's shield but in the Air.)

But (barring some small animation differences like Shadow's rocket skates) I feel going to Alt route is the best chance for more existing 3rd party Rep.
I’d probably replace Sakura with Akuma...closer to a Ryu type body than she is

It is no surprise that out of all the speculation updates, this one has the most comments.

I really have no clue what Sakurai has up his sleeve for third-party characters, although Sonic and Bayonetta are definitely safe bets.

Sonic/Shadow/
MegaMan/ProtoMan
Ryu/Dan/ken/Sakura
Pac Man/ Mrs Pacman

Personally, I'm really hoping Nintendo has the idea to capitalize on character skins in this Smash iteration. Street Fighter V has convinced me that character skins are fun ways to personalize characters, and Nintendo more than likely stands to make some hefty coin from the prospect of DLC alt costume packs, for both third party and non third party characters. Goodness knows that between Megaman and Ryu alone, Capcom has enough material for two different skin packs sold separately between the two characters.

Megaman has: Proto/Zero/Bass/Roll

And as mentioned, Ryu has Ken/Dan/Akuma/Evil Ryu/Violent Ken/Sakura. Heck if they really wanted to go obscure, you could even throw Sean into the mix, disciple of Ken who in turn is a master of the same Martial Arts (and subsequent moves and playstyle) of Ryu.

Pac-Man could run Ms. Pac-Man/Pac-Man Jr./Professor Pac-Man. Do you think they could pull off a Toc-Man skin? Seems a bit of a stretch given how Toc is a lot bigger than Pac-Man and Sakurai cares a lot about accurate character portrayals, but if it were my call I'd see no problem shrinking him for merely a skin.

Sonic is a bit harder to call, given how most sonic characters have their own unique attributes that arguably could warrant character positions on their own, but since most characters are confirmed to be able to do everything Sonic can do, in addition to their own special powers, technically characters like Tails, Shadow, Knuckles, Amy, and Silver could be alts for sonic (Though that might annoy fans of said characters who would rather see them playable with their own unique skills). Heck with the upcoming release of Sonic Mania+, you could even throw Mighty and Ray into that ring.

Last edited:
Personally, I'm really hoping Nintendo has the idea to capitalize of character skins in this Smash iteration. Street Fighter V has convinced me that character skins are fun ways to personalize characters, and Nintendo more than likely stands to make some hefty coin from the prospect of DLC alt costume packs, for both third party and non third party characters. Goodness knows that between Megaman and Ryu alone, Capcom has enough material for two different skin packs sold separately between the two characters.

Megaman has: Proto/Zero/Bass/Roll

And as mentioned, Ryu has Ken/Dan/Akuma/Evil Ryu/Violent Ken/Sakura. Heck if they really wanted to go obscure, you could even throw Sean into the mix, disciple of Ken who in turn is a master of the same Martial Arts (and subsequent moves and playstyle) of Ryu.

Pac-Man could run Ms. Pac-Man/Pac-Man Jr./Professor Pac-Man. Do you think they could pull off a Toc-Man skin? Seems a bit of a stretch given how Toc is a lot bigger than Pac-Man and Sakurai cares a lot about accurate character portrayals, but if it were my call I'd see no problem shrinking him for merely a skin.

Sonic is a bit harder to call, given how most sonic characters have their own unique attributes that arguably could warrant character positions on their own, but since most characters are confirmed to be able to do everything Sonic can do, in addition to their own special powers, technically characters like Tails, Shadow, Knuckles, Amy, and Silver could be alts for sonic (Though that might annoy fans of said characters who would rather see them playable with their own unique skills). Heck with the upcoming release of Sonic Mania+, you could even throw Mighty and Ray into that ring.
I agree, the Alt concept can really be pushed pretty hard even in the first parties. (some of these i admit are pretty loose)
Peach/Daisy,
Pikachu/Pichu
Villager, Isabel
Marth/ Pretty much any FE sword character

And of course people are going to be mad/upset if their favorite character becomes an alt, I'll just tell them this is better then nothing, and maybe they could graduate to clone some day.

I agree, the Alt concept can really be pushed pretty hard even in the first parties. (some of these i admit are pretty loose)
Peach/Daisy,
Pikachu/Pichu
Villager, Isabel

And of course people are going to be mad/upset if their favorite character becomes an alt, I'll just tell them this is better then nothing, and maybe they could graduate to clone some day.
Daisy is a tomboy, so her fighting like Peach is weird, Pichu is so small and useless, Isabelle is possibly a pacifist...probably...and the FE one can only work for 50% of them without causing too much controversy

Last edited:
Whoever it will be it will most likely be cool. Still, I would want Crash Bandicoot as the next 3rd Party, with Bomberman being the second.

Peach/Daisy,
Pikachu/Pichu
Villager, Isabel

Imagine the Mario cast alone. Mario and Bowser already have a ton of material. With Odyssey, all they'd need to do for Mario is just pick and choose out of the 80 or so options available. As for Bowser, I could easily see a Dry Bowser, Meowser, Dark Bowser, Dream Bowser, and heck maybe even a Bowletta skin.

Peach/Daisy,
Pikachu/Pichu
Villager, Isabel

Well Daisy IS a Peach alt already! (As a color scheme though)
Pichu won't work because it is much smaller than Pikachu.
Isabelle, like what TMNT says, is a pacifist, and plays more of a supportive role anyways.
The Marth thing would work on certain FE characters, but it would result in people crying that he/she doesn't have their own movesets. Already happening with Lucina.

The whole alt or clone thing is definitely something that divides the community in that area. If they want to make a clone-like character (or any character for that matter) an original moveseet, and feel accurate to their original games, then it takes a lot of time and is sometimes impossible to do.

Last edited:
The whole alt or clone thing is definitely something that divides the community in that area. If they want to make a clone-like character (or any character for that matter) an original moveseet, and feel accurate to their original games, then it takes a lot of time and is sometimes impossible to do.
It's impossible to make this community happy, For this Alt/clone thing I subscribe to the "Its better then nothing" mindset.
Good Example is my boy Proto Man, is my first choice giving him his own unique move-set, OF COURSE! There's plenty to work with to make him a clone of Mega Man. But I also understand there are only so many "slots" (short hand for Development time) so in reality his chances on that front are pretty slim, But an Alt is would be significantly less work.

And ill admit some of my previous examples were bad (I never played AC so i didn't know what Isabel is about) But I also say alts should only happen if they can reasonably make sense.

The Mii skins and movesets for Knuckles and Tails work real well and I feel they are in the game. I see make the Mii Costumes a total conversion and allow you to customized based on Mii movesets.

Last edited:
First of all i want Snake back, second i wish for a Castlevania character, and lastly, i hope theres's a second Square Enix character, i guess Rayman would be pretty cool too.

For Final Fantasy, I can see either Tifa (because FFVII Remake and she's bae) or another FF protagonist from another installment (i.e., Terra, Lightning, Noctis, etc.) alongside Cloud.

For Street Fighter, definitely Chun Li, she's SF's most popular female character and with good reason, plus, she's always with Ryu when it comes to crossovers.

Top Bottom