• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Stories: 'PurpleGuy' Ed - The Hipster Sheik

Many Smashers have recently picked up Sheik in Smash 4 as she has thus far proven to be the best character in the game. Not many can say they were dedicated Sheik players since the days of Brawl, but PurpleGuy, also known as Ed, is one of those few. Alongside playing the top character in Smash 4, he carries a passion for Zelda, who is currently considered the worst character in the game. In Brawl, he was considered the best with both characters and was ranked #77 in the Clash Tournament Brawl Rankings. Going from famous for his choice of character to just another Sheik in the crowd has led to an interesting transition moving into Smash 4 - so much so that he considers it to be the greatest challenge of his Smash career thus far.

"To go from 'best of your character' to 'just another Sheik with an interesting style' has been really tough," he explained. "It goes hand-in-hand with expectations of yourself to perform better with a better character. I placed an expectation on myself upon finding out she was the best. It's weird to say that you miss being one of the only ones that play the character but at the same time there's such a wealth of meta showing what to do right that it helps to make growing pains that much less frustrating. Sometimes it just doesn't pan out right away."

Shockingly, he hasn't been bugged by newer players for 'just picking a top tier' either. "The newer players might be entertained with how I play the character since I'm unconventional, but they all usually know about my history with the character so I've managed to avoid any flack thus far. I get to be hipster Sheik!"

His 'Hipster Sheik' comes with a curious and suboptimal style from adjusting to the new mechanics of Smash 4. "I was so accustomed to how Sheik worked in Brawl," he confessed. "I still miss DACUS and all the little intricacies from her Brawl iteration, but slowly I've started to at least mesh what works between the different games."

While he loves playing as Sheik, this was not the character that got him started in Smash. It was the hectic arena of free-for-all matches with items on high. "Before I got competitive I was a full casual. Zelda won me over since she seemed to get the Smash Ball the easiest. Deep down, my casual side lives on." His Sheik entered the arena a few months later to help in difficult matchups commonly seen back in 2008, like Mr. Game & Watch, and the rest, as they say, was history.

'PurpleGuy' Ed vs Nick Riddle in Brawl (2014)

While he does still enjoy Sheik, he truly misses using Zelda and would be attempting to use her full time for the current power ranking season in Southern Florida. However, when a program called TierBreakers was announced he grudgingly put her aside. The program takes lower level players and has them drafted by power ranked players to help strengthen the entire scene. "Not too many Zeldas running amok in the nation. We try to improve them as players overall but the placings of the captains also make a difference."

It has hurt Ed to watch his favorite character languish in the lower tiers with few to advance her meta. "It's tough since South Florida as a whole is really strong as a region, so remaining true to Zelda is a struggle. I absolutely will return to playing her more upon TierBreakers' end." It seems that Ed simply cannot hide from being a 'low tier warrior': "I think it's fair to say that. I was gifted an incredible character but still play her like she has so much work to do going into a match."

Being a 'low tier warrior' isn't always easy. Going from "the penthouse of the tier list all the way down to the bottom," as Ed put it, makes it all the more challenging. Through all his years of playing, however, he has rarely found himself chastised for not using a stronger character since he has the skill to succeed while doing so. "Even in the worst of matchups I was able to compete and generally only lost when I was bested in player vs player. In Smash 4, while the player vs player aspect has been diminished a little bit with game mechanics like rage as well as overwhelmingly bad Zelda matchups, I don't often get criticism for it. Plus I always felt that playing a low tier and then moving to a high tier only broadens horizons as a player and helps you see all the available options you can have."

As a low tier player forged from the era of Meta Knight and Ice Climbers in Brawl, it is difficult to find a deterrent for him to play the character he loves, and he finds it hard to see the new generation of Smashers clamoring for buffs or nerfs. "You either learned to deal with them or became a part of them," he said bluntly, referring to the two best characters in Brawl. "It may just be a smaller crowd with a loud voice about this issue in Smash 4, but it would be nice to see players grow rather than sit back and hope patches cure what ails them. Even if it does, it still places them behind the person that worked through the patches. It's all in the mentality."

Ed Taking On Famous Robin Player Dath

Like many players, Ed also has passions outside of Smash. While he is able to attend the Versus Center Weeklies and most regionals and nationals in state so long as he can financially spare it, he juggles this with his love of attending metal music festivals. "System of a Down has always been my favorite band. I was lucky enough to have seen them twice," he told us. "Others include Static-X, In This Moment, Slipknot, Amon Amarth and so many others. That said, I'll listen to just about anything. Except country music. It takes a concentrated effort for country music."

To all those reading who want to bring the lesser-seen character they love to the forefronts of the scene, Ed leaves our interview with this advice: "Just keep going. You'll find ways to win even if you're committed to a lesser character. In losing, it's all about being able to keep going and roll with losses if and when they come."

---​

A special thanks to 'PurpleGuy' Ed for participating in this article. To keep up with his future adventures in Smash, follow him on Twitter @theRealEd59. To continue following the ever-expanding story of Smash 4, be sure to stay tuned to Smashboards: there is so much more to come.

Comments

I'm not very good and due to my poor network I can't play online nearly never but before I purchased Smash for 3DS I had marked to be a Zelda main. I still am and I will be. Of course I have other character I really like to main such as Rosalina, Peach and Corrin(female preferably) but I also have a passion for Zelda. It really really pains me that the character I love in design, gameplay and as a character is the worst in the game. But that never took me down from wanting to main her eve with low placement in Melee and literally worst also in Brawl. To me Zelda is my character and no matter how bad it is. I'll continue to use her and no one absolutely no one will make me change my opinion. Winning first place isn't all in life. Fun and passion are also valid points in a game it's not about winning or popularity. Purpleguy is for me a good example that you can be good but also not forget who you like.

Real good read. It's a rarity seeing Zelda in competitive Smash 4, if not competitive Smash in general.

Senpai~~~

I love Ed as a hype man and as a spirit in the Smash community.

If you ever meet him he'll have you doubled over laughing at whatever.

Miss him a lot. :x

It was an absolute pleasure to be given the opportunity to partake in this interview. This was an absolute blast and its really nice to see my story from an interview standpoint.

A giant thanks to LiteralGrill LiteralGrill for seeking me out for the interview. I was flattered just to be asked for the chance to do this. Thank you so much!

I suspected that the seperation of :4zelda:and:4sheik: would affect some players. This article was yet another interesting one to read.

Last edited:
Very cool read! In truth, I have never heard of this player before. But I always respect character loyalists. I've also always used Zelda as a secondary main, after Marth. I just love how she fights! Go far with Zelda, dude! Show everyone she isn't bottom tier!

I suspected that the seperation of :4zelda:and:4sheik: would affect some players. This article was yet another interesting one to read.
I was a little disappointed. Back in Brawl, I would always start off as Sheik. But if I was on my last stock, or at high percentages of my second, I'd whip out Zelda. It was a good strategy, because the pacing of the game would become much different, and usually in my favor.

I like Zelda's phantom in Smash 4, but she getting nerds from Brawl was a huge disappointment. At least she has good combo starters now. Really wish her throws would kill, though...

"Before I got competitive I was a full casual. Zelda won me over since she seemed to get the Smash Ball the easiest. Deep down, my casual side lives on."

This is probably my favorite quote from the article. I appreciate that a person can enjoy casual free for alls with items on AND competitive 1v1 style battles. The two don't have to be in total opposition to one another.

I enjoyed watching Ed Sheik in Brawl (there's a set of him vs Ally I have watched at least twice). This article makes me want to check out his Smash 4 Sheik as well...

Last edited:
EEEEEDDDDDDDD!!!!!!

Truly an inspiration for Zeldas in the Brawl era. Always with a more optimistic outlook on Zelda as a character and the skill to make people listen.

His SSB4 Zelda is just as good despite her being potentially even worse in this game.

I'm so happy someone else will stick with Zelda to the end. Even though his main is two entirely separate characters now...and one is literally the best...and the other the complete worst... <3 By the time everyone else drops ha at least there'll still be three of us!

@SBphiloz4 won't escape his Zelda playing fate just by trying to cling to other women :secretkpop:

Last edited:
I like his mentality of, more or less, "you have to learn how to lose." If you are convinced winning is the only way of growing (be it using a low tier or a high tier,) chances are the road ahead is gonna be some kinda rough.

Sheesh, it really applies to a whole lot more than Smash if you think about it!

Great read. Ed is one of the most chill smashers I have ever met. Keep up the fantastic work, regardless of what character you use c:

I don't agree with Zelda being the worst, though she is bottom 5. I do feel like I'm in a similar boat as I have Zss, though pretty much all my other characters are low tier except for wft and lucina

I really relate to this story. In every Smash game, Ness has always been my number one main because EarthBound is my favorite game of all time. In fact, back when I played casually, I always thought Ness was so good because his PK Thunder got the Smash Ball so easily. Even when I learned about tier lists and started to play the games competitively, I still stuck with Ness since I love his game too much and using him was the way I always played. I decided that I'd rather play the character that I enjoyed using the most then use a better character that I didn't have as much fun with. So, I stuck with Ness through it all and never regretted it for a moment.

Then, Smash 4 came around and Ness became one of the best characters in the game. I quickly went from "the Ness player" to "a Ness player" and, while it was kinda cool to play a character that no one else did, it doesn't really matter all that much. I don't care that a lot of people use Ness because he's good. All that matters to me is why I use Ness and I use him because I love EarthBound.

Top Bottom