• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Science: Wall Jump Tiers

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Youtube channel Smash Highlights has released another excellent Smash Science video to help improve your gameplay, this time tackling wall jumps! Who has the best wall jump in the game? Watch the video and find out!

If the video is too fast for the eyes, check out the spreadsheet that was included in the video description with all the data. To see more Smash Science videos check out the Smash Highlights Youtube channel.

SmashCapps found the video fun and informative. Jump, jump, and jump over to Twitter and follow SmashCapps.

Last edited:

Buffoon

Smash Ace
NNID
Buffoon_on_U
3DS FC
1719-3804-4029
Man, what won't they make tier lists for? Also, I dig how Mario and Sonic's wall jumps were practically on point with each other.

SoniCraft

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sonicraft98
3DS FC
5327-0944-3801
I don't think this is an accurate list. Air speed plays a big factor in this. They should've done it by height but they did it really weirdly instead.
With the circumstances given in the video, the tier list is pretty accurate. If you're ever in a situation where you need to wall jump from wall to wall, lucario would be the best character to use. The problem is, you're never in that situation in a competitive match, so in that sense, this video isn't too helpful.

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
I don't think this is an accurate list. Air speed plays a big factor in this. They should've done it by height but they did it really weirdly instead.
Yeah, that's what I thought they'd do... This doesn't really make sense, at least if they wanted to apply it competitively. I know it still sort of explains the height of the wall jump, but I doubt we'll find a way to apply this. Most walls are angled on the legal stages anyway, so that could possibly affect the accuracy of these results.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I still find it amazing that :4luigi: (and to a much lesser extent, :4wario2:) are unable to wall jump despite doing so in Super Mario 64 DS (and Luigi in following Mario titles).

Yet the fighter with the worst recovery options has among the better wall jumps.

Sakurai pls.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Anyone with a recovery that is strictly vertical (:4bowserjr::4marth::4lucina::4megaman:)or that is really bad at recovering at all (:4zss::4drmario::4ganondorf::4falcon::4littlemac::4littlemac::4littlemac::4littlemac::4littlemac::4littlemac:)needs a wall jump to balance everything out. People like :4villager: :4pikachu::4mewtwo::4lucario:do NOT. Need wall jumps.

Why this is so difficult to pull off, I'll never know.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I'm happy that Lucario is #1. He pretty much was the best Wall-jumping + wall-clinging character in Brawl & seeing that reoccur in Smash 4 makes me content.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Anyone with a recovery that is strictly vertical (:4bowserjr::4marth::4lucina::4megaman:)or that is really bad at recovering at all (:4zss::4drmario::4ganondorf::4falcon::4littlemac::4littlemac::4littlemac::4littlemac::4littlemac::4littlemac:)needs a wall jump to balance everything out. People like :4villager: :4pikachu::4mewtwo::4lucario:do NOT. Need wall jumps.

:4lucas::4ness: could use wall jump for not being automatically dead between 2 walls. Wait, do Marcina have wall jumps?!

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Not including special wall jumps like zss flip jump, or sheiks bouncing fish.

Sabaca

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SABACA
3DS FC
5198-2440-0970
This is no real walljump tierlist. It is a walljump+fallingspeed+airmobillity tier list. I will do a reall walljump tierlist.

DK-RULES

Smash Apprentice
I still find it amazing that :4luigi: (and to a much lesser extent, :4wario2:) are unable to wall jump despite doing so in Super Mario 64 DS (and Luigi in following Mario titles).

Yet the fighter with the worst recovery options has among the better wall jumps.

Sakurai pls.
Why donkey kong doesn't wall jump is beyond me. He is a Gorilla.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What baffles me most is that the Smash 4 community is able to come up with tiers for stuff as recovery and wall jumping before even an official ranking tier list was ever released but I might just sip tea on that one...

Sabaca

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SABACA
3DS FC
5198-2440-0970
What baffles me most is that the Smash 4 community is able to come up with tiers for stuff as recovery and wall jumping before even an official ranking tier list was ever released but I might just sip tea on that one...
Why does it baffle you wtf. Crouch tiers or something like this is way simpler and clearly. It is logical that something like this can be made before there is an "official ranking tier list". Especially because such data can be usefull to know while "official ranking tier list" is useless.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why does it baffle you wtf. Crouch tiers or something like this is way simpler and clearly. It is logical that something like this can be made before there is an "official ranking tier list". Especially because such data can be usefull to know while "official ranking tier list" is useless.
Because apperantly it's more interessting than the actual tiers and these sort of things could've been tested day 01 of the game's release. Patches or not, an actual tier list could've easily already excist by now.

Pinuzzo

Smash Rookie

Sakurai pls.
Luigi and Wario could not wall jump in SM64DS. Wall Jumping was an ability specific to Mario in that game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:4dk: having a wall jump would be amazing indeed though but am baffled why :4diddy:'s is so bad.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

Lucario has it because he could walk cling and wall jump in Brawl.

When his recovery was a lot worse.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7

maybe some characters should have bad recovery to balance out their strengths elsewhere, but this is just a thought.

Shin F.

Smash Master
:4lucas::4ness: could use wall jump for not being automatically dead between 2 walls. Wait, do Marcina have wall jumps?!
That's a good point. Being between two close walls is a death sentence for Ness and Lucas. Wall jumps could fix that. Although, it may make their normal recovery too good.

Last edited:

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
why in gods name would they give Mew2 a wall jump?!?!?!?!
Because if orange is the new black, then wall jumping (and counters) is the new orange. I.e, newcomers get them in spades.

Mac should have no Wall Jump at all.
You've never played smash run, then, sir. It is hilariously fun to play climb with Little Mac, or just fool around and traverse the map. Plus, he does sort of need the recovery boost.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Lucario has it because he could walk cling and wall jump in Brawl.

When his recovery was a lot worse.
I understand that, but now his recovery is broken wide open. His wall jump, if any, should be really bad.

Last edited:

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
Because apperantly it's more interessting than the actual tiers and these sort of things could've been tested day 01 of the game's release. Patches or not, an actual tier list could've easily already excist by now.
No tier list would be very accurate right now. You could come up with a tier list today and it'll already be outdated in a couple months time. You are also ignoring the time and effort it takes to come up with a real tier list, especially when we don't even know how a lot of matchups play out.

From what I understand, a tier list is basically: how does each character do against each of the most popular characters. Well, we need accurate data as to who the most popular characters are. That's the easy part. The hard part is debating exactly how each character does against those characters. It's not like we are saying, who has the best matchup against Sheik. We are asking who does best overall against Sheik, and Diddy Kong, and Captain Falcon, and Mario, and Ness, and Luigi, and Fox, and Rosalina, and Yoshi, and Pikachu. That means we need to put 50 characters in order as to how well they do against these characters as a whole. Is a character that does good against Sheik and crap against Diddy better than one that does crap against Sheik and good against Diddy? Or what about if each of them has a terrible matchup with Rosalina, while another does good against Rosalina and crap against Sheik and Diddy? It's not that these are more interesting, it's that we actually have enough data to talk about these tier lists and not tier lists where we rank characters on account of their potential in today's metagame.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
No tier list would be very accurate right now. You could come up with a tier list today and it'll already be outdated in a couple months time. You are also ignoring the time and effort it takes to come up with a real tier list, especially when we don't even know how a lot of matchups play out.

From what I understand, a tier list is basically: how does each character do against each of the most popular characters. Well, we need accurate data as to who the most popular characters are. That's the easy part. The hard part is debating exactly how each character does against those characters. It's not like we are saying, who has the best matchup against Sheik. We are asking who does best overall against Sheik, and Diddy Kong, and Captain Falcon, and Mario, and Ness, and Luigi, and Fox, and Rosalina, and Yoshi, and Pikachu. That means we need to put 50 characters in order as to how well they do against these characters as a whole. Is a character that does good against Sheik and crap against Diddy better than one that does crap against Sheik and good against Diddy? Or what about if each of them has a terrible matchup with Rosalina, while another does good against Rosalina and crap against Sheik and Diddy? It's not that these are more interesting, it's that we actually have enough data to talk about these tier lists and not tier lists where we rank characters on account of their potential in today's metagame.
Yeah! What he said!

Top Bottom