• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Run: City Trial's (only) Successor

Smash Run new.jpg

For a long time, people have wanted a sequel to Kirby Air Ride, particularly for the City Trial mode. Unfortunately, no sequel or re-release has been slated yet for the beloved puffball's first - and so far only - racing game. To top that off, no other companies have actively tried to emulate the quick and customization frenzy of City Trial.

The Smash Run mode in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is the awesome spiritual successor to City Trial from Air Ride, and was was one of the modes I spent the most time with. While Smash Run's multiplayer is far more limited than City Trial's, it's still just as enjoyable as a single player experience.

Part of why it was so enjoyable is the fact that it made unlockables less of a grind. When popping up Smash Run for a bit on my 3DS, it always leaves me coming back for more.

Author's note: Did you play this mode? Do you hope it returns? Let us know in the comments below!

Lucas "Thirdkoopa" Guimaraes

Comments

This mode is a lot of fun, and made grinding for customs much easier (aside from Classic Mode being easier, shorter, and having that home menu trick). As a 3DS player myself, this is something that made a least some consideration buying the 3DS version of the game (aside for having no Wii U lol).

Hope this comes back in some sort of shape and form. From what I heard, Smash Tour was a disappointment.

Last edited:
They need to bring back the customization from City Trial that was missing in Smash Run, have all the player be able to interact with each other and add more than 1 map. This would be enough to outright make it to be one my favorite smash modes of all time.

They need to bring back the customization from City Trial that was missing in Smash Run, have all the player be able to interact with each other and add more than 1 map. This would be enough to outright make it to be one my favorite smash modes of all time.
More than one map would be amazing. However, the issue with more than one player interacting with eachother is that it would create lots of lag (imagine the amounts of lag if the mode was on 3DS online), even with the hardware of the Switch. I might be wrong with this, so there is a cool possibility that it could be intractable. But first, we have to see if the mode is returning if we are going to talk about new features / improvements.

More than one map would be amazing. However, the issue with more than one player interacting with each other is that it would create lots of lag (imagine the amounts of lag if the mode was on 3DS online), even with the hardware of the Switch. I might be wrong with this, so there is a cool possibility that it could be intractable. But first, we have to see if the mode is returning if we are going to talk about new features / improvements.
They actually planned to implement coop, but its limitations reared its ugly head and they dropped; the Switch is obviously more powerful so they probably would be able to add it. I doubt they would make it be playable online since they haven't done so for these types of modes yet, but I would absolutely love it if they did.

They actually planned to implement coop, but its limitations reared its ugly head and they dropped; the Switch is obviously more powerful so they probably would be able to add it. I doubt they would make it be playable online since they haven't done so for these types of modes yet, but I would absolutely love it if they did.
I am already imagining what will happen if Smash Run went to online in the 3DS. If online in For Fun is already stupid laggy, imagine that plus holding all the enemies on screen. It would be a nightmare.

Last edited:
Smash Run will need some improvements if it does happen to return. Allow us to adjust the difficulty of the CPUs, and even decide which final event will be played.

Smash Run will need some improvements if it does happen to return. Allow us to adjust the difficulty of the CPUs, and even decide which final event will be played.
I think the RNG of what the final event will be played was one thing that made it interesting, because if you could choose what the final event is, then everyone would just try to specifically go for what is needed for that event. I think it's good with it being RNG.

I think the RNG of what the final event will be played was one thing that made it interesting, because if you could choose what the final event is, then everyone would just try to specifically go for what is needed for that event. I think it's good with it being RNG.
City Trial gave you the option to choose the final event though. Of course, you had to unlock some of the final events by going with the random option.

Top Bottom