• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash revival part 11: First step through the door

allshort17

Smash Ace
Link to original post: [drupal=5209]Smash revival part 11: First step through the door[/drupal]

Last week's interview featuring Mekos: http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=138856

Introduction to "Smash Revival" : http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=135870

You must feel lost. You see that this is already part 11 and you wonder, "when did the other 10 happen"? Well, don't go scrolling through endless pages of blogs because this series started on All is Brawl. The purpose is to guide newer players into the competitive scene, not only getting them in there but turning them into the next top players. Thus, I wanted this series to start a revival, marking the new age in Smash Bros history. I won't re-type the previous installments, however you can find all of them on All is Brawl using the links above. Starting today, every new part of "Smash Revival" will be posted on Smashboards every Sunday. Now that you are caught up, let's jump into today's topic.

It's time. You've been given enough to get off you feet and feel comfortable with the game (to an extent.) However, if you want to make your next step toward greatness, then it's time to go offline. It summer time, meaning school and college are coming to a halt so it's to perfect time to start. You're on your way to your first tournament!

First things first, you have to go to a tournament. However, there are two main fears I see with players who haven't gone yet.

1. I can just play Wifi and become a pro.

Well, it's very, very difficult but still possible. I know players like Ally and Salem started on Wifi, but they are the one in a million exceptions to the rule. They put in hours and hours of work everyday into this game, so if are willing to do that for years then go ahead and play Wifi to become the best. However, for those who aren't ready yet then I suggest looking into offline tournaments. There's more of a difference than one would think. The most obvious is the lag. Some may say that lag doesn't bother them, but it's incredible how much freedom you have without it, even compared to the most pristine connections. Know that you can do anything you are able to do without hindrance changes playstyles and mindsets completely. Also, other important conditions are changed. The feeling of playing with something physical on the line (money), not being in the same comfortable setting, seeing and sitting right next to your opponent, and having people able to watch at any moment can greatly effect how you play. Even those with the toughest nerves and concentration abilities can be unraveled by this. You need to know how you react to these in order to truly improve, and that is something you can't learn and fix from Wifi alone.

2. I need to be good enough to win before I go.

How do you expect to be good when you don't know the playing field? This fear usually comes from pride. However, if you can get over this then you can get over one of the biggest obstacles that people have. You don't need to prove yourself to anyone since no one cares what new people do. Let go of your pride and realize that you will not win the tournament. I don't think I've ever heard of a story where a brand new player came first, so why do you think that you'll be the one? You will not win against a higher level player. Fact is, you may not even win a game. I came in last the first 2 tournaments I went to. I lost to the same person twice (although he is one of the top in AL) and also lost to 2 no named players. You're going to have to except loses one day, so just make it your first tournament. You may believe that if you don't win, then you are wasting your money. But, that's only short term thinking. In the long run, you are really paying to learn how to make money in the future. This is what the goal of you first tournament, and even your whole tournament life, should be. You can learn something from watching videos of top players in your area. But, it a different feeling actually watching and talking to them. It could be more helpful than 100 wifi matches (that's really no exaggeration.) Go talk to and play as many higher level player you can when you play. Know who they are and play friendlies with them. Ask them you questions and for feedback. They're people too, so they'll be more willing to help than you would think. Just forget about trying to win and you will improve more than you ever have.

Now that you are ready to go, then you should try to bring others. Take some friends who have an interest in Smash Bros if you can. The more the merrier. After you sign up, start looking for friendlies. If you see an open Wii, first ask if it is need for tournament, then go find someone to play. Just ask someone not playing, anyone. It doesn't matter how old or good they look. Do not take these matches seriously. Just use them as a warm-up and have fun. If they are better than you, then you can take them a little more seriously in order for them to give appropriate feedback. When the tournament starts, here are some general rules to follow:

*Stop your friendly matches the second they start calling names. They may need that set-up for matches and you could miss your name being called.
*Learn how to stage strike. Learn the legal neutrals for that tournament and the order of strike.
* Arrive on time. Come early than the bracket starts and if you will be later than excepted, call the TO or another player there.
*Begin each match with a good luck (handshake or variation optional) and end with a good game. No matter how bad you got beat or how many SD you did, just be courteous.
*Smell good and dress decently. You don't need to act like it's a job interview, but make sure to shower and put on deodorant before. Also, wear clothes that are comfortable, but not ones that are dirty, offensive, or don't fit properly.
*It's bring your own controller. Don't expect anyone to cover you if you forget (although smashers are nice and will probably find one if needed.) If you have a Wii-mote, then learn how to sync quickly and take out the batteries after you are done playing. No one will watch your controller either, so bring a bag to put it in and watch it.
*Record matches if you want, just tell the owner of the Wii that you did otherwise they will not be posted.
*Tell the TO if you are leaving, but coming back. This includes using the restroom, taking call, or any other thing.
*Don't leave for too long. Waiting for a match is not the time to get a meal down the street.
*All other general manner rules still apply.

Lastly, remember you are entering a community. So, get to know the people. Learn the people by name, not just their tags. If you hear a conversation about the Marvel vs Capcom tier list, jump in if you want to. When you are playing friendlies, just have a conversation and joke around during the match. It's fine to go for a hail mary Falcon punch once in a while. If they all go eat after the tournament then join them. What's to lose? Just don't be the person to hide in the corner and wait for someone to drag you out. Put yourself out there or you will miss out on one of the greatest things about playing competitively.

Go if you can. There's only so much you can get from a stream or Wifi. The rush of being in the crowd during an intense match, cheering and yelling as it's down to the wire with others who share the same passion and intensity is short of breath taking. Tournament aren't just competitions, they are experiences.

Next I'm going to cover... you know what? I think I need to let this week sink in before I talk about that. However, just know I plan to get two top player to say a few words. A hint, they are not from the same country, but one is American.

Have a good summer!

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Lastly, remember you are entering a community. So, get to know the people. Learn the people by name, not just their tags. If you hear a conversation about the Marvel vs Capcom tier list, jump in if you want to. When you are playing friendlies, just have a conversation and joke around during the match. It's fine to go for a hail mary Falcon punch once in a while. If they all go eat after the tournament then join them. What's to lose? Just don't be the person to hide in the corner and wait for someone to drag you out. Out yourself out there or you will miss out on one of the greatest things about playing competitively.
Please fix this (I'm assuming you meant 'Put yourself out there'), it could confuse some people.

Top Bottom