• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Is A Teacher

Bamesy

Smash Ace
...making interesting maneuvers in the Okanagan...
Don't do any of this routine crap. Use your brains.
You're better than you think, at everything, all you have to do is make it up as you go.

Be YOU when you play this game.
Not a cycling system that you've developed for yourself over your time playing.

This wouldn't be acceptable on this forum if I didn't randomly say that about melee...
and I would've been infracted for the 3rd time this week...
It's barely related, but this is the reason I posted a thread.

I'm bored so...
woop?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY&feature=player_embedded

Andy Mac

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4167-4587-5358
Melee is such a complex game that I find it very difficult to not fall into a cycle of repetition. I think that's the way I've learned to think. My creativity gets stifled by fear of my creativity being undermined. So I don't think very creatively when I play the game. Without much creativity, it becomes difficult to stand up against creative opponents. I then find it easier to just pull from my bag strategies that have worked for me before.

I never want to lose when I play. If I sit and take the time that I NEED to think, I'll probably end up losing. Over time, however, taking the time to develop new strategies is extremely beneficial.

Ken Robinson is a smart dude, though. I never really thought about how important creativity is until now.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I understand why he's accusing schools of stifling creativity, but the business world is the root of the cause for why school subjects are placed in a clear hierarchy. The subjects that possess a higher value, such as mathematics, are more practical in the business world, while, say, dance, is much less useful. Math is applicable in essentially any field of occupation, while dance is only useful in a very small range of specialized jobs, so obviously an education system that focuses on math as opposed to dance is going to have a higher rate of success amongst its children.

Not only are the more valuable subjects useful in a higher range of jobs, but jobs that apply these subjects are more reliable than jobs that focus on the "arts". Sure, Ken Robinson had the example of a multi-millionare dancer to use, but she is a rarity, and people that go into a profession of dance or some other creative job usually don't end up being too successful - it's a gamble on whether consumers will like what your material or not, which is hard to know when you are still being educated in your art and aren't a professional yet. Jobs that apply "standard" subjects are far more common, and thus there is a higher chance of a there being a job for you (with decent pay).

Besides, those that are truly passionate about their art can still study their interest while simultaneously receiving a standard education as a back-up. They can take classes outside of public school if they feel what they are taught at school is unsatisfactory, and can still depend on the standard education to fall back on if they end up being unsuccessful in their art (which is more than possible).

For the record, I don't support the use of medications such as Ritalin IF the child is unwilling to learn what the school is teaching anyways, and is simply being forced by his parents/teacher/doctor. If the child WANTS to learn but feels unable to focus in class and is frustrated by his lack of concentration, then Ritalin is fine with me.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
careers are secondary to education. By forcing children and students to mold themselves to the hierarchy of the school, students gain disabilities based on how different their talents are from that. Its like wearing shoes that don't fit, as the feet grow the bones warp and never grow to what they naturally would be.

The Star King

Smash Hero
careers are secondary to education. By forcing children and students to mold themselves to the hierarchy of the school, students gain disabilities based on how different their talents are from that. Its like wearing shoes that don't fit, as the feet grow the bones warp and never grow to what they naturally would be.
Careers are secondary to education? Huh?

Like I said, students can develop their creativity outside of school if they really see school as limiting to their talents.

Pi

Smash Hero
all this made me realize is that melee is amazing, and it'll never get boring, and i'll be playing this game my whole life

so ty for the video

Smash Master
I hate when I do something for the first time in a set near the end of game 2 and my opponent reads it perfectly.

Andy Mac

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4167-4587-5358
Careers are secondary to education? Huh?

Like I said, students can develop their creativity outside of school if they really see school as limiting to their talents.
I think the guy wasn't arguing against subjects like math or whatever. Instead, he was arguing for a balance of arts with the rest of the subjects. Arts foster creativity, and creativity is important for careers. Like he said, a degree rarely guarantees a job anymore. This implies that academic education isn't the only necessary factor in getting a job.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
Everything is a part of life in some way if you make it a part of life. The fact that what the educational system forces certain things to be a higher priority in life than others is where the ideals of educational systems misguidance originated.

Smash is a part of life for all of us here.

I left to NY to attend ROM3.
It was with a friend and smasher who I've known for a year and the only way he could make it was if I came (travel companion and financially) and it would be my only chance to go to NY that year and possibly for a long time (missed a chance in the summer for something else)

When I did that, I left my boss (and good friend) at the peak of busy season for work (mid November when it gets cold, that's when everyone needs heat and a gas fitter).

I left my band in the middle of recording 4 songs, two of them are still only bass and drums as afterwards, the holidays and other practicing took over.

I could NOT go, but smash is a part of my life. Travelling is a part of my life. Fun in every area of this thing called life is a part of my life.
To spend time doing 1 thing, that time must be NOT used on the other EVERYthings.

Schools throw arithmetic and the essentials, but leave no room to breath, no room to grow. It's a systematic structure with no flexibility or diversity for what IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD FOR (educating people about life)
Everything is a part of life.
School is a very very tiny part, and it makes itself even smaller.

Having a foundation/system in play is crucial. A safety net to fall back on in a way. Every good melee player will have one at a VERY high level (that net is SAFE) but what we ALL do BEYOND that net (the creative/adaption part) is what makes us who we are.

The basis of how good we are is simply what we will do garaunteed. The reality of how good we are is what we actually CAN do.

Get them both, but don't forget about the other. ;)

The Star King

Smash Hero
I think the guy wasn't arguing against subjects like math or whatever. Instead, he was arguing for a balance of arts with the rest of the subjects. Arts foster creativity, and creativity is important for careers. Like he said, a degree rarely guarantees a job anymore. This implies that academic education isn't the only necessary factor in getting a job.
(late response, I know)

I know that he wasn't arguing against practical subjects. I wasn't refuting that sort of assertion. I was arguing that math and English are more valuable than the arts, and thus the subject hierarchy is justified, and should be left alone. Read my post.

Lol @ "a degree rarely guarantees a job anymore". Even if that's true, a degree is a HELL of a lot more reliable at getting a decent-paying job than any of the arts are.

@Bamesy You kind of contradict yourself there. You say, "Everything is a part of life in some way if you make it a part of life," yet you say, "schools leave no room to breath". If you truly had a passion for a certain art, couldn't you "make it a part of life"? You can immerse yourself in your interests outside of school.

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
If you drink Melee, you'll win at everything forever!

Melee has made my life much more fun, and made living with my roomate at school MUCH more tolerable.

Bamesy

Smash Ace
@Star King

Simply the fact that 'you immerse yourself outside of school' has to be said (and isn't a given) directly means/implies that school is something that has to be 'worked around' in some way (even minorly)

I'm a prime example of that. School was a sidetracking and to this day served very little purpose in terms of what it's intended for. I got more from it befriending teachers and playing hockey and music with them than I ever did regarding the actual class direction at any time. I didn't even have to do final exams, the teachers became good friends and simply passed me through the year based on the way I essentially to as close to NO part with the system the entire way and almost became a teacher myself. Though in different ways (I was known as the 'Monk' by people in my grade hahah)

My life has 0% school and it had little impact on who I am and absolutely none on what I do or where I've come from and am going. It delayed my course for 12 years and as a 13 year old I asked repeatedly to be 'homeschooled' from then on. When I was going into my last year, my parents and teachers in turn told me I shouldn't have gone to high school as it was purposeless for me.

At the same time, I learned more about tolerance and patience, ways of life and how to help others, and everything else that could only be learned through such a thing because of the educational system I went through. I'm glad I did go to school, and for everyone it has good use. (Social activities, direction, everything in some way to someone) Yet after that time, and both of my younger brothers following through to the end as I did, there is no exception to the fact that school is (everything I've ever said it is) too insignificant in life to play such a large part of the first 2 decades of a persons life.

I'm for it, but with the way it is, every individual I've known for a year has become better in every possible way within that year than all 12 years of going through the educational program combined EVER have. (basic arithmetic and social skills and all included) I doubt I'll ever see it otherwise at this point. Though one thing is for sure, it can be SOOOOO much better than it is, (along with every system in life really ;D ) and it's up to all of us to change it.

Melee is almost better for 'bettering the self' if it's taken the right way. lol

Top Bottom