• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash GTA Club/Clan/Group Ideas

Ageman20XX

Smash Apprentice
Don't shoot me - I posted this as a suggestion in another thread but I wanna know if there's interest. I don't see anything in the rules about a topic like this but if it's out of line then a mod can totally lock/delete it with no hard feelings. Anyway, on to the ramblings:

I have a idea that I've been toying with for quite a few days. This forum is awesome and all, but it's huge. I'm seriously considering working on a site (with a forum-like area) specifically for Smash Players in the GTA. You could almost consider it a clan of sorts, but I want the members to be exclusive and I want the site to end up being a place for members to all come and chat with eachother, arrange meetings or WiFi tournaments and whatnot.

The thing is, I want it to be small and of course, private. You'd have to be invited to the "club" and obviously live in the GTA. I'm an advanced coder and I was thinking of adding a feature to the site or forum where you could send TEXT messages to other users (if they have a cell and allow it) making for calling matches between friends easier.

The site/group/clan will be about 20 members - or at least that's what I'm hoping for. These members would regularly meet up for chat and discussion via a chat room I'd create for members and the goal of keeping it small is that this way, we could ALL be in eachother's Brawl Friends List and that would make sure there's always a good chance that someone else will be on.

Having a tight circle of GTA Smashers would mean that we'd know eachother well enough (over time) to possibly meet up in person (comfortably) and have tiny little Brawl Fests. Maybe we could take turns hosting (I have a fairly nice place with a huge TV) etc.

So yeah, it's still up in my head right now and I've done huge projects like this before on tight schedules (check my sig and browse the site for a few examples). I'd make the site almost like a second home.

I want to know if there would be any interest though. What do you guys think? Would that be a good idea? Would you enjoy that?

Also note that because it'll be a small community, suggestions and whatnot for site content and functionality would be easily expanded upon by me (and perhaps others).

So yeah, what do you guys think?
Please leave comments - I wanna know if there would be a demand for something like this...

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
I think this is a marvelous idea, I personally want to play brawl early if possible, does anyone know where I can play it in the GTA?

Ageman20XX

Smash Apprentice
I think this is a marvelous idea, I personally want to play brawl early if possible, does anyone know where I can play it in the GTA?
Thanks. :)

Someone in the other thread I suggested this in said that there's no need for another site (and that I should basically give up on this idea). If that's true - less work for me, but I don't think that's true.

I mean, I want this group of people to be pretty close knit. We'd be openly sharing personal information with eachother - cell phone number, addresses in case we're arranging meets, maybe more depending on the situation. Smash boards is great, but it's a public forum and there are thousands of people. Most not from Toronto, a lot of them n00bs, and I'm sure tons that are total *****. This would be a place for close-knit friends and all information on the boards would be totally private.

I'm not crazy, right? This is something that would be very useful, no?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
okay

here are the following forum spin-offs that i know have been tried

1) efex's forums

this failed because nobody cared and because nobody knew efex. in addition, efex (otherwise known as hot greek matt) stopped being greek and is actually spanish thus proving that we don't really know the real efex.

also nobody gave a shit.

small forums aren't nearly as dramatic and sexually satisfying as the amazing anonymity of smashboards. i mean srsly. here you can troll the marth boards when you're bored =) or flame the brawl boards. or randomly spoil stuff.

point is... not enough interest. me and db tried to contribute and make it work but there wasn't enough drama to make it happen.

2) brampton boards

surprising resilient. i think this is because everyone in brampton hates wak unanimously for banning desh (srsly we've all seen 2 girls 1 cup it's not a big deal). and because he's wak.

in addition to this, i post there. and i'm like amazing so everyone listens.

there's also drama in the form of random flame wars.

and a spam thread(s).

and general amusement.

so like honestly i'd just use the brampton boards if i were you and wanted to have a "private" gta website just because the brampton boards are basically that anyways. and they're already somewhat established.

http://btssbm.14.forumer.com/index.php

Ageman20XX

Smash Apprentice
Just for the record, I live here in Toronto now, but I grew up most of my life in 'Niagara Land". Lol.

Strange, when I lived there I didn't know ANYONE who played Smash aside from like, three of my close friends. Here - everyone plays. >_<

Top Bottom