• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic South Smash Club @ UAB Presents DTS 1

Smash Club @ UAB Presents DTS 1
Posted by Wundermittens
Heritage Hall on UAB Campus
Saturday, March 5, 2016 - 02:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 5, 2016 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/Chicago)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Chicago

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
Smash Club At UAB Presents:
Down To Smash 1!
A Smash 64, Melee, PM, and Smash 4 tournament!

THIS IS A FREE VENUE!
THIS IS A FREE VENUE!
THIS IS A FREE VENUE!

BUT SET-UPS WILL STILL BE NEEDED!!!

Buy-in fee will be $5 for each event. Doubles will be $5 per person (so $10 per team).

Where:
Heritage Hall UAB Campus
1401 University Blvd Birmingham, AL 35233

Parking:
Students, there is plenty of student parking.
If you are not a student, there is a public lot in Hill Student Center which is directly across the street from the venue.
Also, it will be Saturday so parking on the street is FREE. Please don't pay the meter on a Saturday.

Payout:
1st- 60%
2nd- 30%
3rd- 10%
IF MORE THAN 64 ENTRANTS: 1st- 58% 2nd- 28% 3rd- 9% 4th- 5%
Doubles will be 1st, 2nd, 3rd no matter the amount of entrants.

Schedule:
2:30 PM: Doors Open
3 PM: Smash 4 Doubles in rooms 121 & 124.
3 PM: Melee Singles in rooms 125 & 126.
6 PM: Smash 4 Singles in rooms 121 & 124.
6PM: PM Singles in room 126 (Melee may still be occurring but will be done with 126 after three hours and will be condensed to just 125).
6 PM: Smash 64 Singles in 126 (or 125 if Melee is all wrapped up).

PLEASE NOTE: YOU MAY NOT ENTER TWO EVENTS THAT OCCUR AT THE SAME TIME! IF FOUND ENTERED IN TWO EVENTS, YOU WILL BE DQ FROM BOTH EVENTS. NO REFUND.

General Rules:
Smash 64
Mode: STOCK
Stocks: 5
Handicap: OFF
Stage Select: ON
Damage: 100%
Item Switch: NONE
All Characters Available
If wanted, an 8 minute timer can be set.
STAGES: Starter stage will always be Dreamland. Counter picks will be Kongo Jungle and Hyrule Castle. Winner will strike 1 stage. Gentlemen's rule will NOT exist.
DOUBLE ELIMINATION. BEST 2/3 and 3/5 for Loser and Grand finals.
Other Rules: Please bring a set-up if you have one! If you pause, you lose that current stock if your opponent chooses. Extreme stalling is discouraged and could result in a warning and a DQ.

Procedures:
  • Players select characters for first match. Double Blind Picks may be called.
  • Players strike stages.
  • The first match is played.
  • The loser of the previous match selects the next match's stage from the Starter Stage and Counterpick Stage Lists.
  • The winner of the previous match selects their character.
  • The loser of the previous match selects their character.
  • The next match is played.
  • Above four steps are repeated if necessary.

Melee
http://smashboards.com/rulesets/melee/

PM
http://smashboards.com/rulesets/project-m/

Smash 4

http://smashleaguegaming.com/tournament-rules/
We are removing UCT from the stage list. We will hopefully be starting a bi-weekly in May and can toy with the idea then.

If you are using a wireless controller, you must unsync your controller after every match. If this problem occurs and delays tournament drastically, wireless controllers will be banned.

So all sets will be best 2/3 and all losers and grand finals will be 3/5.

We have one capture card. We do plan on recording (not streaming) and posting the videos. Our first club meeting is Feb. 15th. We are hoping to find more people with capture cards then.

Results will be posted on Smashboards.

I think I have covered everything! If not, please comment for questions.

If you are a UAB student, join our Smash Club at UAB on B-Sync.

Tr4n

Smash Cadet
If you bring anything that has to sync to a console for a match and end up interrupting other matches because of it, I will find you, and I will DQ you. That is all.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Montevallo student here. Maybe we can start a school rivalry..or not. Montevallo takes it surprisingly seriously, though. We got 2 Us in the game room just for Smash.

Anyway, hope to see you there. What kind of turnout are you expecting?

Tr4n

Smash Cadet
Montevallo student here. Maybe we can start a school rivalry..or not. Montevallo takes it surprisingly seriously, though. We got 2 Us in the game room just for Smash.

Anyway, hope to see you there. What kind of turnout are you expecting?

I was searching on your schools site to see if you have a Smash student organization and I couldn't find it. I hope the turn out will be great! There is supposed to be another tournament in Tuscaloosa on the same day, but they have not posted yet so I am unsure. However, the scene in Birmingham is much bigger than I realized when I held my first tournament. Definitely come out and play! I hope to have some club shirts by the tournament to show our numbers (probably wont), you should start an official student organization at your school so we can have official School Scrimmages!

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Most stuff at our school is either informal or done through the Montevallo Organization of Gaming (MOG) so that's why we don't have a "normal" Smash organization.
Though, Auburns old faculty admin of their Smash Club works here now...he's more focused on Chess Club (his passion) but maybe he can be convinced...

Anyway, I'll let a few people know, maybe bring some, let them see that an organization like that is something you can have. I mean, the game room is basically constant Smash Club as it is, so why not?

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
We would love to have some rivalry going on! We really want to be playing other schools in the near future! Maybe get some season schedules started for next semester! It might be hard to organize but we can always try!

Pudding009

Smash Cadet
NNID
pudding009
To anyone looking at this TO's are great and run good tournaments definitely worth going to. I hope to you all there ):)

Sweaters

Smash Journeyman
Yo if someone accidentally enters two events I wouldn't dq them from both, just have them choose one and refund the other, also why is wobbling banned?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Smash4 rules don't include anything on Miis. What's the ruling there?

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
Yo if someone accidentally enters two events I wouldn't dq them from both, just have them choose one and refund the other, also why is wobbling banned?
We just have to sound like a hard ass so people won't do it.

Also, I think wobbling is crap. Wobbles gets way too far in tournament play and knocks out players who just shouldn't be losing to him. Isn't it obvious why it is banned? Plus, nobody is going to be doing it anyways so why does it matter so much to you? lol and if there are people who do it then sorry to those 1 or 2 people.

Last edited:

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
Smash4 rules don't include anything on Miis. What's the ruling there?
Guest mii. Standard dimensions. No equipment. Move set is 1111.
In future tournaments I want to allow any move set but it is only a week until tournament. I don't ever see messing with the dimensions though.

My bad for forgetting to address this. Thanks man.

Last edited:

Sweaters

Smash Journeyman
We just have to sound like a hard *** so people won't do it.

Also, I think wobbling is crap. Wobbles gets way too far in tournament play and knocks out players who just shouldn't be losing to him. Isn't it obvious why it is banned? Plus, nobody is going to be doing it anyways so why does it matter so much to you? lol and if there are people who do it then sorry to those 1 or 2 people.
Wobbling isn't crap it's one of the few things that makes ice climbers good from mid to high level play without it they might as well be a mid tier character, and I've never seen wobbling ever carry someone in tournament I've only seen good players place well with icies so I would strongly recommend you unban it as it is also not banned anywhere else, and I literally mean anywhere.

Last edited:

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why you think your opinion on wobbling being banned is obvious given that top TO's who know a lot more about the game and have much more experience have chosen to not ban it. The one important TO who had previously banned it (Juggleguy) even changed his mind on it. Don't get me wrong I ****ing hate wobbling, but banning it is the wrong choice.

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
Wobbling isn't crap it's one of the few things that makes ice climbers good from mid to high level play without it they might as well be a mid tier character, and I've never seen wobbling ever carry someone in tournament I've only seen good players place well with ivied so I would strongly recommend you unban it as it is also not banned anywhere else, and I literally mean anywhere.
Sorry but no. I think it's dumb. We don't have to have a standard that is used at all tournaments in Alabama. It's fun to switch it up.
And yes, it is banned at different tournaments. I literally mean at different tournaments. Ask the googs man.

Oh! And btw, there is this tournament happening the same day in Tuscaloosa where you can wobble all day! So go crazy!

Last edited:

Sweaters

Smash Journeyman
Sorry but no. I think it's dumb. We don't have to have a standard that is used at all tournaments in Alabama. It's fun to switch it up.
And yes, it is banned at different tournaments. I literally mean at different tournaments. Ask the googs man.

Oh! And btw, there is this tournament happening the same day in Tuscaloosa where you can wobble all day! So go crazy!
Lol ok, you're banning cause you think it's dumb? That's funny to me especially since you're not even a melee player. I always consult multiple Smash 4 players before making any significant decisions for that game since I honestly don't know much about the meta for it, also you're just coming off as a **** with that second statement.

Wundermittens

UAB Smash Club VP
NNID
Panionator
Lol ok, you're banning cause you think it's dumb? That's funny to me especially since you're not even a melee player. I always consult multiple Smash 4 players before making any significant decisions for that game since I honestly don't know much about the meta for it, also you're just coming off as a **** with that second statement.
Look kid, you've already stated mutliple times that you are going to BIO so why does this matter so much to you?

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Look kid, you've already stated mutliple times that you are going to BIO so why does this matter so much to you?
Because he cares about the integrity of tournaments that are run in Alabama and especially his own city. Obviously this is a quality that right now you seriously lack. Calling him kid just shows your immaturity and arrogance.

Last edited:

Sweaters

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually not going to either. The reason it matters to me is for if any ice climber players come to your tournament they should be able to use one of the few things that make them viable. Taking away wobbles is almost equivalent to taking away fox shine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom