• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brothers - The Movie?

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
No. No the next episode of the documentary. A user on YouTube released a trailer, coming this winter, of a Smash Brothers movie. King Bob Videos only has a few hundred subscribers and previous videos include the likes of Star Wars. What this project is remains to be seen, but we are certainly interested. The minute and a half trailer features both live action and extended CGI cuts that, while not hollywood quality, certainly look good for a fan film. Check out the trailer and some screen shots below!

Where did this come from?

Mario vs. R.O.B. - in the Brawl universe, R.O.B. wins this.

Hyrule looks good!

Ness vs. R.O.B., Meta Knight's gun ship, with help from Starfox?

PM Garrett Williamson

Smash Rookie
Eh. It's a nice try. I appreciate the passion and hardwork they put into this and I respect that but I mean just because your budget is lower doesn't entirely mean that your CGI has to look mediocre.

I think it just takes a lot of talent and commitment to master the art. Freddiew probably had this same type of budget or smaller 5 years ago and honestly their stuff looked way better than this. I'm a musician and I've seen tons of people with the lowest budget equipment make far greater music than a lot of mainstream artists with the highest budget you can think of.

Also speaking of which, being an audio guy, the audio mixing of that trailer was driving me crazy.

I really appreciate the effort, though.

Last edited:

SHiFT_

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
This must be what the Smash 4 players do with their time while they aren't optimizing their rolls.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Its supposed to be Brawl?
That game is- *Shot*
:snake:

D

Deleted member 269706

I feel like no matter how good this trailer could have been, there still will be a billion people waiting to hate on it...I'll probably watch it just to see how it is. Not setting any high hopes, but also not going to be the prick who talks **** about it just because I can.

Puttshroom

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0130-2159-7058
I'm confused. Are people thinking this is a real trailer for a real movie? The creator left a comment saying it was a fake trailer. It was just a fun project, not an actual movie. Kind of like the Angry Birds movie trailer that Rooster Teeth made?
*Or I'm an idiot and everyone knew that?

Last edited:

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
No. No the next episode of the documentary. A user on YouTube released a trailer, coming this winter, of a Smash Brothers movie. King Bob Videos only has a few hundred subscribers and previous videos include the likes of Star Wars. What this project is remains to be seen, but we are certainly interested. The minute and a half trailer features both live action and extended CGI cuts that, while not hollywood quality, certainly look good for a fan film. Check out the trailer and some screen shots below!

Where did this come from?

Mario vs. R.O.B. - in the Brawl universe, R.O.B. wins this.

Hyrule looks good!

Ness vs. R.O.B., Meta Knight's gun ship, with help from Starfox?
i would've love it if ness didn't look like he shot through puberty in 30 secs

Last edited:

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
*Reads title* OMG is this the release date of Samox' doc finally going to be released?

*Reads first sentence*

Oh... yea nvm.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
In all honesty, There Will Be Brawl still looks much better than what I've seen in this trailer.

If only those guys made a prequel/sequel with the Smash 4 newcomers featuring Kyle Herbert as Ryu.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
How does one create a movie about a fighting game?

They don't. It never works out.

I'm looking at you, Mortal Kombat franchise.

Last edited:
NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
As long as King Dedede has a decent sized role, I'll be satisfied.

This...was not worth reporting. :/
Are you kidding? The closest thing we have to something like this was Smashtasm... that's it. And this already looks a thousand times better. I've always wanted another Smash movie.

how old is Ness?
14 as of EarthBound, I believe.

Last edited:

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
Eh, you gotta give him credit for trying.
While it's not 10/10 quality, it's cool he put the effort into the CGI and such. You know, that stuff takes time, even if its not Grade-A.

He earns my respect, at the least.

RoyIsOurBoy_TTG

Smash Journeyman
This movie looks bad, good, or whatever you want to say, don't really care for it, but on to a related topic, there is something I have been thinking about:

If there actually was a mainstream Super Smash Bros. movie, what would could you use for a plot? Well, Brawl's Subspace Emissary is really all you have to work with, unless you have highly credited, genius screenwriters that could make a brilliant and original script for a film about Smash. But getting those kind of people is incredibly uncommon in video game movies. Anyone have ideas for what a mainstream Super Smash Bros. movie could be like?

Last edited:

Chris Sifniotis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
chrissifniotis
You'd have to be pretty dense to think this is a real movie. I will say that as a fan project the quality is better than expected, despite the plot seeming a bit derivative - makes me think more about the Avengers than a unique Smash story.

Personally if Sakurai does take complete leave of his senses and commissions a Smash movie I'd like the story progression to mimic the franchise; start with the original 8 and unlockables, then Melee, then Brawl, then 3DS/Wii U.

D

Deleted member

Aye this is cool, i will definitely check out the final product ASAP and bring some fresh buttered popcorn along.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Spoiler Alert! Melee Fox is the final boss and shine-spikes the whole cast.

/movie.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
It's a neat concept, but the execution is lacking. I think that movies like this should be mostly CG, because otherwise you end up with actors that more often than not don't look/sound quite like the characters (which happened here). Plus, some characters like Kirby pretty much have to be CG, and that leads to a weird mishmash.

Tommyboa

Smash Cadet
It looks horrible
Because it's fanmade, duh. I've seen stuff with worse walking animations, borrowed character models, and match-ups that didn't make any sense at all and it was still awesome.

how old is Ness?
12-13. But it's fanmade, so relax.

Eh, you gotta give him credit for trying.
While it's not 10/10 quality, it's cool he put the effort into the CGI and such. You know, that stuff takes time, even if its not Grade-A.

He earns my respect, at the least.
I've seen worse stuff that was still awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I get that a lot of effort was put into this, but that doesn't mean it's good and we should praise it. It doesn't look good at all. I understand that it's made on a low-budget, but if you don't have a budget good enough to make something appealing to the eye, don't try. The CG looks horrendous.

I have no idea why this is on the front page of SmashBoards, the biggest Smash Forums site.
Who the hell decided to have this on the front page with the title "Super Smash Bros the Movie," along with a thumbnail of Samus that looks like something professional? Kinda misleading.

Tommyboa

Smash Cadet
How does one create a movie about a fighting game?

They don't. It never works out.

I'm looking at you, Mortal Kombat franchise.
Yeah, but Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, and F-zero would all make great films. Pokemon and Sonic, while not the best, have done moderately well. Yes, the Zelda cartoon sucked, and yes, the Mario cartoons sucked. But if they go for a more serious tone, I think these four franchises might have some success. It is crucial however, that the plot NOT be based directly off of the games. It has to be all-new, otherwise, the audience feels that there is less interactivity, as Game Theory explains. A Mario film, I feel, would just not work. At least, not based of Super Mario or New Super Mario. It would have to be something other then "Plumber jump, dodge, and run to save damsel in distress and receive cake".

Tommyboa

Smash Cadet
Gotta say, Peach looks like an actual real life equivalent instead of looking like some random blonde pulled off the street.

Tommyboa

Smash Cadet
I'm confused. Are people thinking this is a real trailer for a real movie? The creator left a comment saying it was a fake trailer. It was just a fun project, not an actual movie. Kind of like the Angry Birds movie trailer that Rooster Teeth made?
*Or I'm an idiot and everyone knew that?
It is a fanmade trailer for a fanmade movie.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Because it's fanmade, duh. I've seen stuff with worse walking animations, borrowed character models, and match-ups that didn't make any sense at all and it was still awesome.
12-13. But it's fanmade, so relax.
I've seen worse stuff that was still awesome.
Don't make multiple posts in a row.

If you want to add something but you were the last person to make a post on the thread, click the edit button under your post, and add in whatever you want to add. If you want to add a quote into your edit, press quote and copy-paste the quote stuff from the the new post box to the edit box.

Gotta say, Peach looks like an actual real life equivalent instead of looking like some random blonde pulled off the street.
I think the exact opposite to be honest, and was going to comment on that but decided not to.
I think she looks like some random blonde pulled off the street and not like a real life version of Princess Peach.

Last edited:

Tommyboa

Smash Cadet
Don't make multiple posts in a row.

If you want to add something but you were the last person to make a post on the thread, click the edit button under your post, and add in whatever you want to add. If you want to add a quote into your edit, press quote and copy-paste the quote stuff from the the new post box to the edit box.
I didn't know there was multi-quote. I'm used to the IGN forums, which also don't have an edit button.

Top Bottom