• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Brothers - The Movie?

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Have to give him credit, it's not the best fan made out there, but the CGI parts looked pretty good.

Fox voiced by Chris Pratt or bust.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If I'm being honest, a Smash movie is something I'd love to see. I'm really happy to know Nintendo is actually considering it. I would also love movies of Star Fox and Kid Icarus. I even have an idea for a movie trilogy based on Kid Icarus, that I developed with my friend. And Star Fox is a no brainer, the series is quite cinematic as is and Assault in particular felt like a movie, and the franchise is often praised for it's well written and lovable character, so it would transfer over perfectly.

In terms of this take though, it isn't what I would want. I'm not gonna be too harsh on it since it's just a project someone made for fun and likely will only be using it on their portfolio when looking for animation/cinematography jobs, but obviously they broke quite a few basic things, like Ness being much older, and having characters like Mario portrayed as live action, yet Samus and Link as CGI, which doesn't make sense.

And this is a personal pet peeve of mine, but what is it with these live action Mario/Smash things always portraying Peach as some "sexy" blonde in her late 20's, with a tacky dress that makes her look like she is some risqué roleplayer as opposed to an actual spoiled, but innocent, young, and cute princess? Is it considered cool or edgy? Because I don't think it is. It's actually more than possible to make a really convincing Peach actress that matches well with how she actually is in the games, so there is no excuse, I think it was just poor direction.

As far as an official Smash movie, it'd have to be CGI. I honestly think if I had to get some kind of Smash visual media though, I think an anime or CG cartoon series would possibly lend itself better. Rather than having an emphasis on over arching plot, each episode could focus on a certain character on the roster, giving them a little story, with whether or not it's serious or lighthearted or a bit of both depending on the character in question (characters like Kirby, Peach, an Yoshi would get cute things, Fox, Samus, and Fire Emblem characters could be more serious in what's going on, Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man could be this in between, with episodes for characters like that basically being made for shonen anime enthusiasts, and characters like Olimar and Rosalina could have a story that's more quaint, sweet, and maybe a little sad).

Last edited:

FantomenK

Smash Rookie
NNID
FantomenK
"Here is my new video of a fake Super Smash Brothers Trailer!"

There is no movie coming.

Speed Stick 2400

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpeedStick2400
3DS FC
4699-7838-3944
I thought this was the Sony Smash Bros. film at first.
Yes, Sony has the rights to make a (CGI, I think) film based on Smash Bros. And a CGI Mario film. And they already had a Sonic film in production for about two/three years.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I got goosebumps xD

If this becomes a thing, I'd love to see the full movie.

Z1zzor

Smash Cadet
That. is. A. Maze. Ing! Seeing something like that makes you have hype that Nintendo will hopefully make it someday...:b:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
How does one create a movie about a fighting game?

They don't. It never works out.

I'm looking at you, Mortal Kombat franchise.
The first MK movie was great. Can't say the same about the 2nd one.

D

Deleted member

This looks like great fun. Maybe all of you Debbie Downers should realize that not everybody takes Smash as seriously as you do. Get out of your elitist competitive mindset for half a second and take some time to enjoy a fan-made work that somebody put their time and effort into simply because they love the characters and the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingbode

Smash Rookie
Yeah, but Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, and F-zero would all make great films. Pokemon and Sonic, while not the best, have done moderately well. Yes, the Zelda cartoon sucked, and yes, the Mario cartoons sucked. But if they go for a more serious tone, I think these four franchises might have some success. It is crucial however, that the plot NOT be based directly off of the games. It has to be all-new, otherwise, the audience feels that there is less interactivity, as Game Theory explains. A Mario film, I feel, would just not work. At least, not based of Super Mario or New Super Mario. It would have to be something other then "Plumber jump, dodge, and run to save damsel in distress and receive cake".
A Fire Emblem movie would be awesome

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Looked pretty good, except for Kirby. God, why was Kirby so poorly made when the other CGI wasn't that bad, especially Samus?

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
How do you have actual people play the parts of Mario, Luigi, Peach and Ness but not Link? Baffling.

Chinaux

Smash Ace
oh god this looks horrible.
I knew it as soon as mario started talking. every bit of CGI in this trailer looks like utter **** and this movie looks like michael bay's wet dream with overuse of awful special effects

0/10 wouldn't even watch if it kept me alive

even this is better by a large margin

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
How does one create a movie about a fighting game?

They don't. It never works out.

I'm looking at you, Mortal Kombat franchise.
How does one create a video game movie PROPERLY? Not by ignoring the source material, that's for damn sure! That movie bombed because they screwed with the source material.

Movie makers think they've got it ALLL perfect, and don't need help. If they shut up and repressed their egos and let the actual game developers help them, or even bothered actually seeing the source material in the first place in more than just a few "intro scenes" or whatever, video game TV show/movie adaptation would work out better!

Hell, I have an entire rant on how somebody could get make a successful attempt at an officially licensed Zelda Movie. Would you like me to send it to you in a PM?

*sigh* Anyway....
the CGI is great, minus....that pink blob that resembles Kirby....
But Live Action?! With Mario and Luigi and NESS?! Are you f***ing STUPID?! NO! NO! You do NOT make the Mario Bros LIVE ACTION! EVER! EVEEERRRRRR!!!! And also, Ness is supposed to be around 12-14. He's clearly 18+ in the video. LIVE ACTION does not mix with such fantastical games! It simply doesn't work!

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Yeah, but Zelda, Metroid, Fire Emblem, and F-zero would all make great films. Pokemon and Sonic, while not the best, have done moderately well. Yes, the Zelda cartoon sucked, and yes, the Mario cartoons sucked. But if they go for a more serious tone, I think these four franchises might have some success. It is crucial however, that the plot NOT be based directly off of the games. It has to be all-new, otherwise, the audience feels that there is less interactivity, as Game Theory explains. A Mario film, I feel, would just not work. At least, not based of Super Mario or New Super Mario. It would have to be something other then "Plumber jump, dodge, and run to save damsel in distress and receive cake".
As long as you don't copy paste FE:Fates script. That script is garbage.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Eh, not for me, smash would only work with an animated movie, At least they tried though.

DeltaZero

Smash Rookie
NNID
tymo614
3DS FC
4098-3971-5686
Hey, let's check out smashboa-- WHAT IS THIS MAGIC

The Dark Hero 64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperMarioHeroes
3DS FC
0688-5841-0833
Let's hope it will be good :D but for the moment it is ok fo me:4darkpit:

LinkoHakurei

Smash Cadet
NNID
LinkoHakurei
3DS FC
3136-6656-2820
I was better off not knowing of it, now the cringe won't go away...

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It could be good if they took the same tongue in cheek approach that There Will Be Brawl took but this strikes me as something that takes itself too seriously. Also, regardless if this winds up being good, trying to turn anything into an acronym that clearly isn't is inherently cringe worthy.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Why is it with these fan films they can never actually get a guy with a mustache, or an actual kid, as opposed to generic 25 year old guy #3659 in bad cosplay. You might as well of gotten a guy covered in pink paint as opposed to a bad CGI Kirby.

Edit: Also Mario and Luigi don't have an American accent

Last edited:

SHiFT_

Smash Apprentice
So people here are allowed to make jokes about Melee Fox being broken and on Final Destination while I'm not allowed to make jokes about Smash 4 rolls.

Smash 4 players even liked the post.

I got a good laugh out of the warning so thanks for that, I guess.

Top Bottom