• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Ultimate but with Brawl and/or Melee mechanics? Concept discussion.

THE TemporaryFool

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4355-9441-8851
Don’t know if this was posted before, but here goes:

So I was watching a video where a YouTuber called Alpharad was playing a mod for ssb4 called “melee HD” where it was effectively melee but with smash4 characters and visuals. The comments went as you would expect.

“Oh god they recloned falco, why not have him unique”

“Why can’t they just let each game be it’s own unique thing”

“Melee is the better game, git gud scrubz”

“Akchualy, falco is NOT a clone of Fox cuz his S-Special sends opponents UP and not DOWN”

“Melee is a glitchy mess and a terrible game, ur justa weeb in his moms basement”

While not exactly those comments but you get the point. But one comment stood out to me, where it suggested for the game to have a feature so you could change the physics/mechanics to make it more like brawl or more like melee? What do you think? I think the feature would be good for everyone even if it throws the metagame out the window of a 1,000 Story building. As some characters do better with some mechanics than others.
Link to video, so you can read the glorious comments: https://youtu.be/dKL7jr-IHhY

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
I'd say my interest in that was only in caring to see others satisfied. My own interest is in something unseen (combat wise).

Despite the similarities to 4, Ultimate surprised me with some very obvious game changing features to the combat. It will truly have its own distinct identity combat wise and otherwise. However, it is still no where near as wild as I have conceptualized for a new Smash. With these games, I always can see much more potential than anything that exists, even if just focusing on combat. So I was never truly looking forward to a Melee Remake or anything like that. Until I can't envision something bigger, something bigger is going to be the desire.

If we're just talking extra options, I can't see how that would be a bad thing if it doesn't detract from the opportunity to go "bigger".

Quillion

Smash Hero
Dammit, man, why do things always have to go back to earlier games? Can't we just look at what worked in Melee and build upon it instead of simply regressing?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Noone is going to balance a game for 5 different physics buuut: I'd like Ultimate to have Brawl mechanics if it means there are less combos and gliding.

Noone is going to balance a game for 5 different physics buuut: I'd like Ultimate to have Brawl mechanics if it means there are less combos and gliding.
Well we already had 2 games with less combos. I feel like Meta Knight should at least have gliding. Make it possible for him to stall, though.

And while I do love me some Melee (and Brawl) like others have said, I have my own vision for a smash game. Everything down to attack sequences, move choreography, stun, etc.

I’ve even thought about enhancing current mechanics.

Imagine if you could have variable grab functionality. Let’s say you’re Marth and you D-throw, the opponent bounces up like normal. But if you hold down Z or an attack button while pressing your direction, you will do a throw that increases your characters ability to follow up. if you hold z while grabbing and D-throw you’ll do Marth’s old D-throw that sends them behind you, allowing you to follow up. Down side is that it increases the regrab timer by half, the throws won’t kill at high percents, stun reduces at higher percents, and still counts towards throw stailing. These can vary character to character, honestly.

It’s fun to dream.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Well we already had 2 games with less combos. I feel like Meta Knight should at least have gliding. Make it possible for him to stall, though.

And while I do love me some Melee (and Brawl) like others have said, I have my own vision for a smash game. Everything down to attack sequences, move choreography, stun, etc.

I’ve even thought about enhancing current mechanics.

Imagine if you could have variable grab functionality. Let’s say you’re Marth and you D-throw, the opponent bounces up like normal. But if you hold down Z or an attack button while pressing your direction, you will do a throw that increases your characters ability to follow up. if you hold z while grabbing and D-throw you’ll do Marth’s old D-throw that sends them behind you, allowing you to follow up. Down side is that it increases the regrab timer by half, the throws won’t kill at high percents, stun reduces at higher percents, and still counts towards throw stailing. These can vary character to character, honestly.

It’s fun to dream.
Honestly, I appreciate how Ultimate's low landing lag and other changes are favoring combo freedom over Brawl's lack of combos and Smash 4's incredibly linear combos.

But if there's anything they can do to make it better than even Melee, they can turn one of the shoulder triggers into a wavedash-like dash that helps extend combos. It would be a universalized waveshine that can be balanced around.

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
If Ultimate had a feature like that, it would be in the community's best interest to play around with it and decide which option produced the metagame with the most depth and tech skill. Part of what has made Melee so successful is that it takes a long time to master, and you can tell the skill level of the players just by watching. You can't quite do that with games that aren't as deep.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Smash is not going to have 2 modes with entirely different mechanical rules. And Sakurai has gone on record many times saying he doesn't want to make Melee again.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Ok man Alpharad is known for being silly. Treat him just as seriously as Videogamedunkey.

As for Ultimate I think it has the best engine, physics, movesets, and character deign. IMO.

THE TemporaryFool

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4355-9441-8851
Dammit, man, why do things always have to go back to earlier games? Can't we just look at what worked in Melee and build upon it instead of simply regressing?
Ok man Alpharad is known for being silly. Treat him just as seriously as Videogamedunkey.

As for Ultimate I think it has the best engine, physics, movesets, and character deign. IMO.
I wasn’t talking about Alpharad in particular, just the salt in the comments

Top Bottom