• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros *MA* Group. Lets Get a Smash 4 Scene Going.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone.

Smash 4 is shaping up to be a fantastic tournament caliber game, which means that we need lots of contenders to create a strong community. As far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be a strong Smash 4 scene north of New York, so let's get one started here in Massachusetts.

I'd like to get a bi-weekly or monthly event schedule going, there are already several of us that play on a regular basis, and I'd love to see more. I have a full stream setup (http://twitch.tv/LanceKing2200_) and will gladly stream smash events.

A Facebook group has been made for better short term planning (https://www.facebook.com/groups/SmashBrosMA/) so feel free to join that group to stay up to date on events and plans.

Even if you can't make it to regular events, I and most of my regular group attend the local conventions (PAX East, Anime Boston, Boston Comic-Con, New York Comic-Con, and others) so we can also schedule meetups and attend large tournaments.

Our first big event is scheduled for Saturday, Feb 7th 2015 and will be a Smash Bros for Wii U Tournament for Boston Children's Hospital Charity. I'm still working out the details, but when I have a solid lockdown of the rules I'll be posting a Facebook event in the group as well as making a thread here on Smashboards in the Regional Tournaments section.

For now, until I get a better idea of how many smashers are up here, I'm just going to be hosting events out of my house. I'm located in Quincy MA, and my house is easily accessible from the Red Line. When I have the concrete details of our first event I'll post the address and make a big post about the area, parking and transportation situations, and specific event plans.

So join us, tell your friends, and let's make MA the next Smash hub.

Last edited:

K1LL3R

Smash Rookie
NNID
rk_Pixel
I definitely like the idea of this; just requested to join the fb. I know that Game Underground in Framingham runs PM and Melee Thursdays (though I've only been able to make it once :-/), but I haven't noticed them running any Sm4sh stuff there, at least not recently. I saw a posting on that fb page about a Sm4sh tourney this past Saturday at Excelsior Comics in Maynard, but wasn't able to make that, and the event page was pretty dead, so I'm uncertain of the turnout there. I really hope interest in the game is growing, because even though I love PM, I certainly want to be playing as much Sm4sh as I can in the near future and getting more people into the game.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Game Underground does Smash 4 on Tuesdays. I've been going to that every week and the turnout is decent, 20-30 people. It'll be interesting to see if that changes with school getting back in session.

K1LL3R

Smash Rookie
NNID
rk_Pixel
Game Underground does Smash 4 on Tuesdays. I've been going to that every week and the turnout is decent, 20-30 people. It'll be interesting to see if that changes with school getting back in session.
Oh nice! Does that start at 6:30 like the Thursday weekly?

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
Heya,

I am a Smasher living in the Allston area, would love to smash with y'all lovely fellas. I sent a request to join the facebook group, looking forward to the games!

frobo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
fr0br0
I think I can make it, if that's alright with you. I live in Malden, which isn't that far, I guess...
EDIT: I'm talking about your big event. Anyway I can sign up?

Last edited:

frobo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
fr0br0
On second thought, I should probably wait a couple of years in both age and experience. I'd like it if I can get notified for future tournaments, though!

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
On second thought, I should probably wait a couple of years in both age and experience. I'd like it if I can get notified for future tournaments, though!
For what it's worth, last week there was a player tagged Garick who I believe was about 12 years old at his first tournament in CT and he was both very knowledgeable of terms, tournament rules and scene jokes/references. He was also quite good and surprised everyone. We also had a few medium to high level performers about your age during Brawl. The earlier the better in my opinion! Sure, you'll likely get whooped, but it's fantastic learning experience due to the pressure of the tournament. It's especially helpful when you get advice from those you play against that seem better than you :)

frobo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
fr0br0
For what it's worth, last week there was a player tagged Garick who I believe was about 12 years old at his first tournament in CT and he was both very knowledgeable of terms, tournament rules and scene jokes/references. He was also quite good and surprised everyone. We also had a few medium to high level performers about your age during Brawl. The earlier the better in my opinion! Sure, you'll likely get whooped, but it's fantastic learning experience due to the pressure of the tournament. It's especially helpful when you get advice from those you play against that seem better than you :)
Heh, you just encouraged me to go. Thanks for that. But I'm not yet acquaintanced with all the rules of a tournament.

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
Heh, you just encouraged me to go. Thanks for that. But I'm not yet acquaintanced with all the rules of a tournament.
Here's are the Apex rules to start you off with. It doesn't usually stray much, sometimes the stages or stocks/timer differ.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

A. Game Settings

● Stock and time are set to 2 stock and 6 minutes for Singles
● Stock and time are set to 3 stock and 8 minutes for Doubles
● Custom Fighters are set to off
● Mii Fighters are legal. Each setup will have 1111 Mii
Brawlers/Swordsmen/Gunners available for use (Using Default A Mii). No
other specials for Mii Fighters will be allowed. Players are not allowed to
transfer existing Miis to a setup.

B. Stage List

Starter Stages
● Battlefield
● Final Destination
● Smashville
Counterpick Stages
● Castle Siege
● Delfino Plaza
● Duck Hunt
● Halberd
● Kongo Jungle 64 (Doubles only)
● Lylat Cruise
● Town & City
● Omega Stages*
* Treated as Final Destination in banning phase. If Final Destination is banned,
Omega Stages are banned and vice versa.

C. Additional Rules

● Stage Striking: The player with port priority strikes one stage from the
Starter Stage list. Then the other player strikes one stage and the
remaining stage is used for the first match.
● Stage Clause: A player/team may not pick any stage they previously won
on during the set.
15● Stage Bans: During the stage ban phase, the player who won the
previous game may ban 2 stages from either the Starter or Counterpick
lists.
● SelfDestruct Moves: If a match ends with the successful use of a
character’s selfdestruct move, the player that initiated the self destruct
move wins the match regardless of what the results screen states.
Selfdestruct moves include only Ganondorf’s SideB, King Dedede’s
NeutralB, Wario’s NeutralB, and Kirby’s NeutralB.
● Team Colors: Players’ character colors must match their team's color
when possible, to avoid confusion (ex: Luigi on the green team must use
the green costume).
● Alternate Controllers: The Wii U Gamepad, Nintendo 3DS, and
Nintendo 2DS are banned from use as controllers. All other controllers are
acceptable for this event.
● Bowser Jr’s Clown Car Glitch: If the Bowser Jr.’s Clown Car Glitch
happens, players are to pause the match and call a TO or a referee over
to confirm the glitch has happened. Once confirmed, players will reset the
match to the same stocks and get as close to the percents as they had
when the Glitch took place. (The Bowser Jr. Clown Car Glitch happens
when the car respawns after using Up B right before the player loses their
stock. The character starts to teleport around, also hit boxes and
animations for Bowser Jr. change.

Last edited:

frobo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
fr0br0
Here's are the Apex rules to start you off with. It doesn't usually stray much, sometimes the stages or stocks/timer differ.
Thanks a ton. I'll study up on them until I'm able to remember them easily. Say, can you tell me all the terms I need to know? Such as counterpicking and Round Robins?

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
Counter picking stages is the act of the loser of the previous match picking the next stage to play on. Round Robin is a tournament format when everyone plays each other.

lfcjdp

Smash Rookie
As somebody who doesn't have an alternate form of controller besides a gamepad or 3DS, what are the chances I could be provided with a gamecube controller converter to borrow for a match? (I could get a wii remote if I wanted to but I'm not really feeling that). Also, are there ever tournaments that just run on omega stages?

frobo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
fr0br0
Counter picking stages is the act of the loser of the previous match picking the next stage to play on. Round Robin is a tournament format when everyone plays each other.
Ah, thank you. Anything else?

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
Ah, thank you. Anything else?
Usually when you play against someone in tournament they'll go over the process with you so long as you ask, it's not a big deal. Even I forget the character/stage pick order sometimes, haha!

Dissent

NNID
dotDissent
As somebody who doesn't have an alternate form of controller besides a gamepad or 3DS, what are the chances I could be provided with a gamecube controller converter to borrow for a match? (I could get a wii remote if I wanted to but I'm not really feeling that). Also, are there ever tournaments that just run on omega stages?
There aren't Omega only tournaments from what I have seen. Usually if someone brings a WiiU there is a controller adapter already hooked up to it and it stays plugged in throughout the tournament.

Element_Demon

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. I'm a smasher from Watertown, MA, I've been semi-active on the Fox boards. I've been meaning to get to play more smashers in the MA area, as well as attend tourneys. Whenever you guys get the chance check out my brother and I's smash channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2iFqvY40spKUdApJTu9LBQ I scored a chance to play Zero on wifi a couple days ago. The match of my Fox vs his Shulk is on my channel.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I didn't even know GU was still open!? I used to go to Halo tournaments there 5-6 years ago, last I heard they had shut down. I may try and make my way down there in the next few weeks.

Also I'm from Brockton, also have two friends in Holbrook and Avon that play as well.

Last edited:

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
They did close down. Game Universe closed down about 4 years ago, and then one of the former employees, Jamie, bought the place and reopened it under the name Game Underground. But they're back now and better than ever. Same location too.

wtgeoff

Smash Rookie
Hey I am curious is that weekly still a thing that happens?

I work in Lawrence so I don't think I could make it down in time but how is the New England scene as a whole?

jsmoe

Smash Cadet
NNID
jsmoe495
Hey I am curious is that weekly still a thing that happens?

I work in Lawrence so I don't think I could make it down in time but how is the New England scene as a whole?
Unfortunately we are a bit spread out, The most people live in or close to Boston. I want to start hosting a monthly but I am waiting on funds for a capture card atm. I live in Lowell so South NH and North MA are in my reach, but i want to reach out to Boston Sm4shers.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
I am definitely interested in attending these events, are there any updates to the schedule/location tht I should know about?

Last edited:

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Game Underground is currently closed because it's moving to the Natick Mall, The weeklies should start back up on May 5th

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
Game Underground is currently closed because it's moving to the Natick Mall, The weeklies should start back up on May 5th
Good to know, I'll definitely look into these events. It'll be tough with school, but I'll do anything I can to involve myself in my local community. Just to check, I'm assuming we're following the Evo ruleset?

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much yes. We use the EVO custom sets and stages, but there has been a lot of debate in our group of 2 stock vs 3 stock. We tried to vote on it but the vote ended in a tie, so I'm not 100% sure what we're gonna do yet.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
Pretty much yes. We use the EVO custom sets and stages, but there has been a lot of debate in our group of 2 stock vs 3 stock. We tried to vote on it but the vote ended in a tie, so I'm not 100% sure what we're gonna do yet.
I'd cast my vote for 3. I highly doubt that, for an event of our size, there will be anybody using very campy strategies that would result in 3 stock being too much too long(One of the main arguments against it), and even ZeRo has vouched for 3 stock, but I'd deal with it either way. I suppose I'll have to show up before I can cast a vote though, haha.
EDIT: On second thought, i feel it should be 2-stock during the school season, and 3 during Summer. If it goes too late every week we may lose attendance.

Out of curiosity, how many people show up on average?

Last edited:

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
Just checking in again, so the next tourney restarting the weekly schedule is this Tuesday? Sorry for the sixteen thousand questions, just new to this stuff, haha.

Last edited:

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
No big deal. Yes, this tuesday (5/19) we're having Smash 4 at the new Game Underground location. This will continue every Tuesday barring any major problems. We will also be starting a semi-monthly series at GU that will take place on Saturdays, but exact dates and info for that aren't finalized yet.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Well this seems pretty dead but I figured I'd give this a shot anyways. I currently work as a Guest Experience Captain at the Buffalo Wild Wings in Brockton. My managers are looking to do some stuff to bring in customers on slow days, I offered to try and set up a small weekly Smash 4 tournament and they were okay with it. Nothing is set in stone, but they are going to let me bring in my Wii U next Monday and possibly Wednesday to see if some of our regular customers may be interested. At first it won't be a tournament because I doubt I can get 10+ people to show up right away. But I'm going to be playing, and anyone who can beat me will win some sort of prize.

I figured I would try posting this here to see if anyone still looks at this thread, I'm also going to try the Massachusetts Smash Bros Facebook page. As I'm pretty sure someone told me there is one.

LanceKing2200

Smash Apprentice
The primary group for all things Smash 4 in New England has become "New England Smash 4" on Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/NESmash4/ )

Be aware that it is a pretty active group, and if you offer free wings to anyone who can beat you, you might end up with a pretty big crowd, lol.

Zarafin

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone Im new to the smash scene and looking to see if there is any tournaments weekly or monthly in the Boston area. I'm very aware of the weekly in Natick but I was curious to see if there was anything happening closer to Boston or cities near Boston?

Top Bottom