• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. For Wii U Bricking Consoles With Error?

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
As has been reported in several places across the Internet today, a rogue error appearing to stem from Smash Bros. for Wii U has been causing rampant damage to some gamers' Wii U consoles. The error, which appears as error code 160-0103, has been corrupting data, and even bricking consoles when players go to reformat their systems. It is unclear what exactly causes this error, but it has recently been reported in conjunction with Smash Bros. for Wii U play.

A video of the error occurring.
However, this is not the first time this particular error has occurred. As Reddit user TVena pointed out earlier this afternoon, this error has been happening intermittently in conjunction with a variety of games. While this is indeed occurring with Smash Bros. play, it does not appear to be directly linked to playing Smash Bros. for Wii U. It may not make you feel any better, but if your system is faulty, it'll happen sooner or later regardless of what game you're playing. So don't worry! Playing Smash will not cause your console to brick or malfunction. HOWEVER, if this error occurs, do not reformat your Wii U, as that WILL cause it to brick entirely.

Have you come across the dreaded 160-0103 error? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit was scared, then relieved, but still suspicious. Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
"Smash bros for wii u bricking consoles!"

2 seconds later past the cut

"Smash bros for wii u not actually bricking consoles, your system is just bad!"

Thanks, smashboards.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Also it's worth noting that most bricked consoles are caused by reformatting your Wii U system.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Faulty systems? Wtf?

the next incident could be any one of us...

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
This reminds me of the GCN situation. I got my GCN on release many years ago. It worked fine the first two years, but started showing problems when I played Metroid Prime. Sometimes, the game would freeze or lag randomly, but was not bad enough to make the game unplayable. When Wind Waker came out, I couldn't even get pass the opening title before I would get GAME ERROR or something like that. I checked all my discs and cleaned them all. I checked my GCN to see if something was wrong. At first it couldnt play WW, but then it couldn't play Melee, Metroid Prime or any game. Eventually, I called Nintendo, and they informed me that many of the early GCN units had "bugs" that would eventually make playing games impossible. It was quite frustrating at the time. I learned my lesson then to never purchase a console on release due to bugs. I thought I'd never seen an incident like that again...until now.

Zurf

Smash Cadet
For once I feel good about waiting to buy a Wii U until they come out with a smash bundle. Hopefully they will fix the errors by then...

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
On this moment I feel lucky because I don't have a Wii U yet..
anyway, I wonder if the damaged consoles are Refubrished ones, that kind of Wii Us have been selling well along with Smash.

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
My Mario Kart 8 digital downloaded edition, it started having issues ever since I got the DLC in November. It sometimes would load a black screen with a buzzing noise after the "Mario Kart, 8!!!!" quote from Mario.

I had a bad feeling,

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I didn't know what bricking was, so I googled it.

This was the first result.

image.jpg

Engage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WeegeeUser
I didn't know what bricking was, so I googled it.

This was the first result.

View attachment 31567
Well even if you did get the definition, in short, it's when a console doesn't work anymore due to a critical error. I.E: Unplugging a console while it's installing an important update. Making it unable to be used anymore, as it won't load.

Same goes for any hardware. During an update for your phone, if you turn it off or remove the battery during the update, it'll make the phone unable to be used unless you restore it via a back up memory.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I was unsure what the real story was, as I transitioned back to playing Mario Kart 8 because of that report.

HyruleSmasher

Smash Cadet
i hope they patch this soon because, in my eye the grass is greener on the 3ds side for now. hmmm (still saving for a wii u). :)

Gummyfang

Smash Rookie
Glad I didn't purchase the system yet. I hope it gets fixed soon though. :(

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I got this error, but it was on my flash drive so luckily the game wasn't completely unplayable. In order to play, however, I had to delete my smash data completely. Dissapointing, but I'm glad I'm not like some people who can't play at all. Hopefully Nintendo notices this soon.

Also, thanks for the BG.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Luckily yours isn't screwed like mine was. It hasn't been doing it anymore recently.
It's still a very strange dilemma though. Funny how the error report was being targeted on Smash Wii U, when it's actually the condition of your Wii U system that's to blame for the incident.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Luckily yours isn't screwed like mine was. It hasn't been doing it anymore recently.
I hope they will fix that. I haven't got a Wii U yet, but when I got it, I watch out for this weird code.
It's still a very strange dilemma though. Funny how the error report was being targeted on Smash Wii U, when it's actually the condition of your Wii U system that's to blame for the incident.
Yeah, so what does this video mean? Is this a glitch? Or it just because you did something that you shouldn't do on the Wii U?

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I hate when stuff like this happens, it makes me paranoid, which is not a nice feeling when you want to play a game to have fun, lol.

N7S

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NathanSovik
Back to Melee until we have an official patch for it. Lol

To be serious though, it's probably best to not touch it until they have a patch out to solve the issue. I read another article and it said it's been common to most people that played for glory mode before turning the system off. Idk if that's true or not, but that's what I've heard. I just bought my Wii U on November 22. I hope I didn't receive that same issue.

Smearglangelo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UltraKoopaTroopa
3DS FC
4124-5097-9262
Hahaha, what a funny misunderstanding! Who else but the Smash community!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Wow that's f***ed up. Though on the brighter side, I never had this error before not even prior to Smash Wii U. Looks like I've been given a heads up on what I need to do now to make sure it doesn't happen to me.

Farorae

Smash Ace
My Wii U has had some problems and crashed in the past before (not often but probably like 2-3 times over 2 years), but I haven't had this luckily. I hope mine doesn't do this I'm actually pretty worried :(

Hello891011

Smash Rookie
2 days ago I disconnected from an online with friends match in the middle to go to bed,I'm wondering if I've been affected I don't know if I should check or wait.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
So it only happens if you play online right? I'm still confused, some people are claiming that For Glory is causing it so I just want some clarification on that end.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
How strange, I'll stay optimistic cause I had the game since it came out and it gave me no problems before but I wonder what the problem is, is this happening to people outside of the US? I believe the European version came out just a few days ago, it could have something to do with that version, either way Nintendo should do something about it soon.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
You act as it's the persons fault for the condition when it's Nintendos.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Not the bricking again?

I lost an NES, 2 SNES, 2 GBAs, 2 N64s, 2 GameCubes, 2 DSs (lite then DSi) and 2 Wiis because of that bricking...

I think I'm cursed, because I also lost 4 iPod touches, 3 PCs and 5 DVD players that way.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
You act as it's the persons fault for the condition when it's Nintendos.
It can partially be the person's fault if he/she tries to turn off the Wii U before the game data has completed saving. This is often why it's recommended that you return to the title screen before closing the software. Of course, random power outages can't be avoided, so you'll have to keep that in mind too.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
its not the game your system is just faulty

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Not the bricking again?

I lost an NES, 2 SNES, 2 GBAs, 2 N64s, 2 GameCubes, 2 DSs (lite then DSi) and 2 Wiis because of that bricking...

I think I'm cursed, because I also lost 4 iPod touches, 3 PCs and 5 DVD players that way.
WHAT?! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!

Farorae

Smash Ace
Yeah I don't think it's the game, I just played it right now and was completely fine, my heart was pounding super fast though lol! But yeah I'm thinking it is a faulty hardware problem, because I've exited from places other than main menu before and turned off my Wii U right after matches and such and been fine (although I won't be taking anymore risks like that just in case!)

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
It can partially be the person's fault if he/she tries to turn off the Wii U before the game data has completed saving. This is often why it's recommended that you return to the title screen before closing the software. Of course, random power outages can't be avoided, so you'll have to keep that in mind too.
If you are talking about update data, the Wii U download and installs even when powered off. If you are talking about ingame, then I guess you're right. I, however, didn't power down my console when saving so the error came up anyway.

Top Bottom