• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Essay

Driskal

Smash Rookie
I am very new to the smash brothers scene and I am writing an essay pertaining to the sub culture of the professional smash scene. Is there any big details any one thinks I need to include or not leave out? Really just let me know what smash means to you. What kind of vocabulary is exclusive to smash that an outsider wouldn't know. Any items that are iconic in the culture? Is there an sort of higher archy? How do you get into the subculture? The amount of work and dedication it takes to become a one of the best?

Thanks Everyone.

Driskal

Smash Rookie
I also would like some info with if you can make a living for any time while playing competitive. How much does one take home for winning and what are other winnings you can earn if you place second or lower?

Alexo30

Smash Journeyman
Smash is a way of life. One that you can control down to the pixel, forever.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Here is a link to the documentary Comatose mentioned.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoUHkRwnRH-KTCH3tJ9WvsWWPEgUu-y6d
As for vocabulary, some is discussed in there, but "No Johns" is a good example which basically means "No excuses" or the like. We like to throw around the term "mindgames" around a lot which I don't hear in other contexts much if at all. Mindgames are basically the mental aspect of the game, getting into someone's head. Make them feel intimidated or as if you can predict their every move.

The most iconic item of the subculture is probably the CRT TV because we are pretty much the only ones who haven't thrown those out at this point. We use them because they don't lag at all because there is no upscaling the resolution to HD and an incredible response time. A serious player wouldn't be caught playing on anything else.

I'd say there is a higher archy. Used to there was a "back room" which only certain members of the board could get into based on some sort of merit. I think there is still a brawl back room, but the melee one has dissolved, citing lack of need for it at this point. They used to come up with the tier lists and do who knows what else. Being good or flashy, contributing by being a tournament organizer, commentator, or streamer can all put you into that higher archy of fame. Being good is probably the most important, because people who play the game know how hard it is and respect the skill it takes to be amazing at this game.

Getting into the subculture is fairly easy, but can take time. Just read and post on these forums, meet and play people in your area, and most importantly, go to tournaments. Watching tournament streams, reddit, and the like are also part of it. Streams and videos are pretty important because even if you're not there you can still feel like part of the action. It's not a replacement for showing up though.

The amount of dedication required to being the best cannot be understated. Arguably the best player of all time, Armada, claimed that he put in at least in hour of very intentional practice (not just playing around, serious practice) every day for YEARS, and then would play most Saturdays all day. There is an interview of Armada where he talks about it on youtube I think. He retired mostly because he felt he could no longer commit the time or had the motivation anymore to commit the time to being the best anymore. It's really demanding.

A handful of players make serious money from this and even fewer make enough to live off of. Mew2King is the best example. He plays both Melee and Brawl and is sponsored by Clash Tournaments, getting some sort of salary. I believe he lives off of his winnings and whatever salary CT gives him (probably not a ton, but I don't know the number). I heard the highest paid player at the moment is "Melee It On Me"s Mango. Other sponsored players are CT Hungrybox, CT Hax, and "VideoGameBootCamp"s Dr Peepee.

I think Ken and Isai also made a living off of Smash back in the day.

Payouts vary greatly. The highest I ever heard was $10,000 when PC Chris won MLG Las Vegas 2006 back when MLG hosted our community and put that kind of money in it which seems absurd now. Here's some big tournaments from this year:

EVO 2013
$6,960 pot goes to top 8 - unconfirmed distribution

1. Mango :foxmelee::falcomelee: - $2,505 (36%)
2. Wobbles :icsmelee: - $1,531 (22%)
3. CT | Hungrybox :jigglypuffmelee: - $696 (10%)
4. Armada (Sweden):peachmelee: - $556 (8%)
5. VGBC | Dr. PeePee :falcomelee: - $487 (7%)
5. CT | Mew2King :sheikmelee: - $487 (7%)
7. Ice (Germany):sheikmelee: - $348 (5%)
7. Shroomed :drmario: -$348 (5%)

Apex 2013

1: Armada ($3,270.00) :peachmelee:
2: Dr. Peepee ($1,635.00) :falcomelee::marthmelee:
3: CT EMP Mew2King ($719.40) :marthmelee::sheikmelee:
4: Mango ($392.40) :falcomelee::foxmelee:
5: Hungrybox ($163.50) :jigglypuffmelee:
5: Shroomed ($163.50) :drmario:
7: Hax ($98.10) :falconmelee:
7: KirbyKaze ($98.10) :sheikmelee:

Big House 3
1: Mew2King ($960) :marthmelee: :foxmelee: :sheikmelee:
2: Hungrybox ($480) :jigglypuffmelee:
3: Dr Peepee ($360) :falcomelee:
4: SFAT ($240) :foxmelee:
5: Hax$ ($120) :falconmelee:
5: Nintendude ($120) :icsmelee:
7: darkatma ($60) :sheikmelee:
7: PewPewU ($60) :marthmelee:

Of course those were BIG tournaments. I won $17 for getting 3rd in a 17 man tournament a couple weeks ago, and $60 for winning a tournament my school hosted yesterday. So it can be a lot less than that.

You're welcome.

Driskal

Smash Rookie
Here is a link to the documentary Comatose mentioned.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoUHkRwnRH-KTCH3tJ9WvsWWPEgUu-y6d
As for vocabulary, some is discussed in there, but "No Johns" is a good example which basically means "No excuses" or the like. We like to throw around the term "mindgames" around a lot which I don't hear in other contexts much if at all. Mindgames are basically the mental aspect of the game, getting into someone's head. Make them feel intimidated or as if you can predict their every move.

The most iconic item of the subculture is probably the CRT TV because we are pretty much the only ones who haven't thrown those out at this point. We use them because they don't lag at all because there is no upscaling the resolution to HD and an incredible response time. A serious player wouldn't be caught playing on anything else.

I'd say there is a higher archy. Used to there was a "back room" which only certain members of the board could get into based on some sort of merit. I think there is still a brawl back room, but the melee one has dissolved, citing lack of need for it at this point. They used to come up with the tier lists and do who knows what else. Being good or flashy, contributing by being a tournament organizer, commentator, or streamer can all put you into that higher archy of fame. Being good is probably the most important, because people who play the game know how hard it is and respect the skill it takes to be amazing at this game.

Getting into the subculture is fairly easy, but can take time. Just read and post on these forums, meet and play people in your area, and most importantly, go to tournaments. Watching tournament streams, reddit, and the like are also part of it. Streams and videos are pretty important because even if you're not there you can still feel like part of the action. It's not a replacement for showing up though.

The amount of dedication required to being the best cannot be understated. Arguably the best player of all time, Armada, claimed that he put in at least in hour of very intentional practice (not just playing around, serious practice) every day for YEARS, and then would play most Saturdays all day. There is an interview of Armada where he talks about it on youtube I think. He retired mostly because he felt he could no longer commit the time or had the motivation anymore to commit the time to being the best anymore. It's really demanding.

A handful of players make serious money from this and even fewer make enough to live off of. Mew2King is the best example. He plays both Melee and Brawl and is sponsored by Clash Tournaments, getting some sort of salary. I believe he lives off of his winnings and whatever salary CT gives him (probably not a ton, but I don't know the number). I heard the highest paid player at the moment is "Melee It On Me"s Mango. Other sponsored players are CT Hungrybox, CT Hax, and "VideoGameBootCamp"s Dr Peepee.

I think Ken and Isai also made a living off of Smash back in the day.

Payouts very greatly. The highest I ever heard was $10,000 when PC Chris won MLG Las Vegas 2006 back when MLG hosted our community and put that kind of money in it which seems absurd now. Here's some big tournaments from this year:

EVO 2013
$6,960 pot goes to top 8 - unconfirmed distribution

1. Mango :foxmelee::falcomelee: - $2,505 (36%)
2. Wobbles :icsmelee: - $1,531 (22%)
3. CT | Hungrybox :jigglypuffmelee: - $696 (10%)
4. Armada (Sweden):peachmelee: - $556 (8%)
5. VGBC | Dr. PeePee :falcomelee: - $487 (7%)
5. CT | Mew2King :sheikmelee: - $487 (7%)
7. Ice (Germany):sheikmelee: - $348 (5%)
7. Shroomed :drmario: -$348 (5%)

Apex 2013

1: Armada ($3,270.00) :peachmelee:
2: Dr. Peepee ($1,635.00) :falcomelee::marthmelee:
3: CT EMP Mew2King ($719.40) :marthmelee::sheikmelee:
4: Mango ($392.40) :falcomelee::foxmelee:
5: Hungrybox ($163.50) :jigglypuffmelee:
5: Shroomed ($163.50) :drmario:
7: Hax ($98.10) :falconmelee:
7: KirbyKaze ($98.10) :sheikmelee:

Big House 3
1: Mew2King ($960) :marthmelee: :foxmelee: :sheikmelee:
2: Hungrybox ($480) :jigglypuffmelee:
3: Dr Peepee ($360) :falcomelee:
4: SFAT ($240) :foxmelee:
5: Hax$ ($120) :falconmelee:
5: Nintendude ($120) :icsmelee:
7: darkatma ($60) :sheikmelee:
7: PewPewU ($60) :marthmelee:

Of course those were BIG tournaments. I won $17 for getting 3rd in a 17 man tournament a couple weeks ago, and $60 for winning a tournament my school hosted yesterday. So it can be a lot less than that.

You're welcome.
Thanks that really helps

Top Bottom