• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Needs Readers' Help To Make History

With Genesis a little over two months away, time is ticking to put together funds for travel and accommodations. The Smash 64 community may be feeling this pressure the most out of the entire Smash umbrella, as it hopes to make history with unprecedented international attendance.

After Apex 2015 and Super Smash Con achieved record registration numbers, Genesis 3 is hopeful to raise the bar even higher. With the return of Isai after a two year hiatus, as well as dominant players like SuPeRbOoMfAn, KeroKeroppi, Jaime, Fireblaster, and Wizzrobe confirmed attending, Genesis 3 is looking to be the most stacked tournament in recent memory.

Speaking of which, attendees should definitely join Smash 64 singles!

Not known to many Smashers outside of the close-knit 64 community, the game has its own legendary folklore of "Gods", whom are scattered around the globe: Japan, Peru, Brazil, Chile, Australia, Europe, North America. However, the game has yet to catch the attention of sponsors and investors, instead relying on their own means and on each other to make their way to events around the world, which is rarely a realistic goal considering the vast distances among the network of top talent. The luckiest top players have relied on crowdfunding initiatives based out of private Facebook groups, generous donations paid out of keyboard adapter inventor and Japanese community liaison Karajan's own pocket, and a Teespring campaign selling an endearing T-shirt featuring the names of 64 players, to scrape by in order to get to international events. As such, a battle of these titans has yet to happen on the big stage.

Where does that leave Smash 64 international players for Genesis 3? The hopeful top players who are close to going, but feeling the pains of insufficient funding, are: Dext3r and tacos from Mexico; Kort and Banze from Brazil; SSBPete from Australia; and Shalaka from Chile.

Spearheaded by Shears, community leader in Baltimore, a crowdfunding campaign has been put together as a last stand to try to get these players to represent their countries at Genesis 3. Unlike with previous campaigns, the Smash 64 community is swallowing its pride and issuing a plea to the greater Smash umbrella rather than staying within its own confines. The campaign page features a built-in donation link, a progress counter, and player descriptions and examples of gameplay to demonstrate just how the show they're going to put on is worth a donation. Players have taken to Reddit and Twitter to throw themselves at the larger community and spread the word by any means possible.

How long does it take the average reader to spot "pidgezero_one"?

But just who are these players, and what makes them so special?
  • Banze (Brazil, :pikachu64:) has made the trip to America twice. His highest placement came at Apex 2015, where he finished 9th alongside fellow Brazilian player, Cabelo. This came as a result of an intense set with LD, regarded as one of the most surprising upsets of the tournament. The latter went on to beat Dext3r. Banze consistently brings the best of high level Brazilian play to American and Brazilian majors. His training this year has included sets against Gerson and Alvin, two of Peru's top players, and he will be looking to make a dent in the Genesis 3 bracket. (Video)
  • Kort (Brazil, :link64:), known as the "Brazilian Isai", has recently stunned the masses by providing elite Link combo videos and sets. Due to Link being a relatively unused bottom-tier character, players tend to be inexperienced in the matchup, leading to incredible set ups from Kort's impressive knowledge. While he may not be able to perform to Link's fullest potential due to Hyrule being banned, he poses a solid threat to many. Kort is looking to cause upsets and establish himself as one of the most skilled Link players to ever perform in a tournament. (Videos: 1 2 3 4)
  • Dext3r (Mexico, :pikachu64:), one of the top 64 players in Mexico, managed to come to Apex 2015 last minute due to some outside help. He was noted as being only one of only two players to take a game off of Isai's Jigglypuff in 2014. Having managed to sneak into the top 16 the year before, he finished a respectable 7th at Apex 2015 after beating elite players Star King and The Z, but was greatly upset by LD's Fox in top 8. The original trifecta of Mexican talent included JaimeHR, Mariguas, and Dexter, and that triangle is hoping to be completed at Genesis 3. (Video)
  • The fan favorite, tacos (Texas/Mexico, :kirby64::yoshi64::jigglypuff64:) - His breakout 5th place at Apex 2014 was followed by a dominating top 3 finish at every successive tournament he attended thereafter. Due to still being a college student, Tacos is in need of help to attend Genesis 3 and inevitably become the initiator of more astonishing combos on Gfycat and Oddshot. Also, should The Z attend, the long awaited 12 Character Battle (Ironman) between the two will finally happen. tacos also recently held an "Ask Me Anything" session, where his quirky and lovable personality was out in full force! (Video)
  • SSBPete (Australia, :yoshi64::fox64:) visited the US for a number of weeks during Apex 2014. While not placing as highly as anticipated (33rd), he was an uplifting member of the community, an amazing sport and man whose personality is consistently calming and endearing. He has for too long been a player unable to travel for 64. Should Pete be able to make it to Genesis 3, be sure to meet him and learn of the strange disparities between the Australian and North American communities. (Videos: 1 2 3)
  • Shalaka (:pikachu64:) is considered the best player in Chile. He finished 25th at Apex 2014 and provided the 64 community with many stories about the Peruvian and Chilean smash scenes. Attendees learned about the great players who are rarely discussed, tournament sets that weren't broadcast or spread, and talents that might never make it to a major event outside of South America. Shalaka has been a long-time online player with Mariguas, and his recent training also included some similar tournaments with Banze. He'll be looking to test his talents at Genesis 3.
Besides these players, Mariguas of Mexico, one of the best players in North America, was also included in the campaign. The campaign has already raised enough money for Mariguas to attend, and he is now confirmed.

Readers can help by donating at http://funding.onlinessb.com/ and spreading the word. Smash 64 players are grateful for donations of any amount.

The Smash 64 community asks for any help possible in keeping this momentum, to help them finally get the battle it's been waiting for since its very inception.

With thanks to Shears, cobrevolution, and Bark Sanchez.

Last edited:

Comments

It'll be great if the 64 community can get as many international players to attend Genesis 3 as humanly possible. The tournament is already shaping up to be a good one.

It took me approximately 1.5 seconds to spot "pidgezero_one" on the shirt.

I will hopefully be able to donate if I have the money in the near future.

I started from the bottom of the "6" imaging it would be somewhere over there, so I found Pidgezero in 3 seconds :b:
And shout-outs for that Brazilian player for playing Link in Smash 64.... and boo the other Brazilian player for using Falcon :v

• "Banze (Brazil, :falcon64:) has made the trip to America twice"
I'm pretty sure Banze is a Pikachu main.

This is awesome though, really hope it works.

Last edited:
You know what would be awesome? If the Smash 64 community adopted 19XXTE for official tourneys. No really, it exists! Look at this: (sorry for poor video quality)

Enough money has already been raised to send Mariguas and his travel and registration has been booked already. Next up is Kort and we are almost there with getting him the money he needs. We have raised over $500 in just 2 days and we are all incredibly grateful for it. There is still a long way to go and plenty more players to bring to Genesis 3 so everyone keep helping out. Every dollar counts.

Great article! I can't help sadly, but I will be looking for them on G3.
Just a little correction: Banze actually mains Pikachu, Falcon is his secondary :)
Kind of sad the peruvian guys won't be attending too :/

Last edited:
Update, enough money has been raised to send both Banze and Kort. Mariguas, Banze, and Kort are now all going to Genesis 3 thanks to the generous contributions of everyone. Next up is Dext3r.

1. Yes it is. In fact its bigger and better now than it ever was before.
2. Isai is going to Genesis so I don't know what you're talking about when you say without Isai.
I know. I can read, just because the game has seen growth doesn't mean that there are a lot of people on his level, he just needs to go to more events is all im saying.

Last edited:

How long does it take the average reader to spot "pidgezero_one"?

But just who are these players, and what makes them so special?
  • Banze (Brazil, :pikachu64:) has made the trip to America twice. His highest placement came at Apex 2015, where he finished 9th alongside fellow Brazilian player, Cabelo. This came as a result of an intense set with LD, regarded as one of the most surprising upsets of the tournament. The latter went on to beat Dext3r. Banze consistently brings the best of high level Brazilian play to American and Brazilian majors. His training this year has included sets against Gerson and Alvin, two of Peru's top players, and he will be looking to make a dent in the Genesis 3 bracket. (Video)
  • Kort (Brazil, :link64:), known as the "Brazilian Isai", has recently stunned the masses by providing elite Link combo videos and sets. Due to Link being a relatively unused bottom-tier character, players tend to be inexperienced in the matchup, leading to incredible set ups from Kort's impressive knowledge. While he may not be able to perform to Link's fullest potential due to Hyrule being banned, he poses a solid threat to many. Kort is looking to cause upsets and establish himself as one of the most skilled Link players to ever perform in a tournament. (Videos: 1 2 3 4)
  • Dext3r (Mexico, :pikachu64:), one of the top 64 players in Mexico, managed to come to Apex 2015 last minute due to some outside help. He was noted as being only one of only two players to take a game off of Isai's Jigglypuff in 2014. Having managed to sneak into the top 16 the year before, he finished a respectable 7th at Apex 2015 after beating elite players Star King and The Z, but was greatly upset by LD's Fox in top 8. The original trifecta of Mexican talent included JaimeHR, Mariguas, and Dexter, and that triangle is hoping to be completed at Genesis 3. (Video)
  • The fan favorite, tacos (Texas/Mexico, :kirby64::yoshi64::jigglypuff64:) - His breakout 5th place at Apex 2014 was followed by a dominating top 3 finish at every successive tournament he attended thereafter. Due to still being a college student, Tacos is in need of help to attend Genesis 3 and inevitably become the initiator of more astonishing combos on Gfycat and Oddshot. Also, should The Z attend, the long awaited 12 Character Battle (Ironman) between the two will finally happen. tacos also recently held an "Ask Me Anything" session, where his quirky and lovable personality was out in full force! (Video)
  • SSBPete (Australia, :yoshi64::fox64:) visited the US for a number of weeks during Apex 2014. While not placing as highly as anticipated (33rd), he was an uplifting member of the community, an amazing sport and man whose personality is consistently calming and endearing. He has for too long been a player unable to travel for 64. Should Pete be able to make it to Genesis 3, be sure to meet him and learn of the strange disparities between the Australian and North American communities. (Videos: 1 2 3)
  • Shalaka (:pikachu64:) is considered the best player in Chile. He finished 25th at Apex 2014 and provided the 64 community with many stories about the Peruvian and Chilean smash scenes. Attendees learned about the great players who are rarely discussed, tournament sets that weren't broadcast or spread, and talents that might never make it to a major event outside of South America. Shalaka has been a long-time online player with Mariguas, and his recent training also included some similar tournaments with Banze. He'll be looking to test his talents at Genesis 3.
Besides these players, Mariguas of Mexico, one of the best players in North America, was also included in the campaign. The campaign has already raised enough money for Mariguas to attend, and he is now confirmed.

Readers can help by donating at http://funding.onlinessb.com/ and spreading the word. Smash 64 players are grateful for donations of any amount.

The Smash 64 community asks for any help possible in keeping this momentum, to help them finally get the battle it's been waiting for since its very inception.

With thanks to Shears, cobrevolution, and Bark Sanchez.
W-Wait.. Where's my name :( or Spikytorn's? I would've bought this shirt, how could you guys forget us

W-Wait.. Where's my name :( or Spikytorn's? I would've bought this shirt, how could you guys forget us
This was before anyone knew who you were and before you had attended a tournament.

I know. I can read, just because the game has seen growth doesn't mean that there are a lot of people on his level, he just needs to go to more events is all im saying.
He's probably not winning Genesis as there are people on his level who can beat him.

Either way this will be a good *** tournament fam.
Yeah we're not trying to put Isai down or anything just understand it's hard for 64 to get more exposure when people are constantly in the "Where's Isai" mindset. It can be really frustrating. He will definitely be bringing the hype @ G3, we're hoping he doesn't actually go Luigi.

Broke $1600. Tacos will be attending G3. Also anyone or company donating over $200 will get to be the sponsor of these international players.

Top Bottom