• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64: C.O.S. 3 ($Pot Bonus$) - November 29, 2014 - Red Bank, NJ

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
A) point is that if 4 is actually better than 5, then it would follow that 3 is better than 4, unless there is some reason it isn't? Number of stocks is complete preference, there is no right or wrong answer.
Wrong. There is a mathematical reasoning for wanting to do 4 stocks instead less or more.

As you start from 1 stock and make your way up, you get much more accurate results in terms of who's the better player. The reasoning is that after a certain point you get diminishing returns in result accuracy versus the extra amount of time it takes to play those extra stocks. Hence, the main reasoning behind 4 stocks is that playing with less stocks will give a dramatic decrease in accuracy of results and playing with more stocks gains almost no accuracy while having to spend more time playing.

Of course the data behind this graph is not factual but the concept behind the graph is. If you disagree with this, you're disagreeing about where the graph plateaus.

Last edited:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
^^Agreed

However, personal preference still comes down to "i want at least X amount of accuracy and matches that are less than Y long" and X and Y will differ for everyone.

Shears

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure 99 stock would be the most accurate since you have maximized the amount of stocks to be exhausted in a match. So lets do 99 stock matches.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
or our preference is to care more about accuracy in the final matches of a bracket than in the earlier matches? :)

LLDL

Smash Hero
Updated some of OP with shety logo lol.

Still trying to decide a ruleset. Most likely will be start on dreamland with Kongo and Peach's castle as the 2 counterpick options. Winners semis and on will be best 3/5 this time around.

As always bring setups, I can start you guys off with 4 I believe. Also someone bring a second recording setup? Sig will be streaming the main setup and I can bring a microphone and splitter for the off stream recording.

Pot bonus incentive I've decided will be as follows. 10 or more entrants: $25 pot bonus, 16+ entrants: $50 pot bonus, 24+ entrants: $75.00, 32+ entrants: $100.00

LLDL

Smash Hero
Aight that first logo is BUNS. So lemme try again.

Im actually very proud of myself for this one! Considering Im not much a graphics design guy.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Updated some of OP with shety logo lol.

Still trying to decide a ruleset. Most likely will be start on dreamland with Kongo and Peach's castle as the 2 counterpick options. Winners semis and on will be best 3/5 this time around.

As always bring setups, I can start you guys off with 4 I believe. Also someone bring a second recording setup? Sig will be streaming the main setup and I can bring a microphone and splitter for the off stream recording.

Pot bonus incentive I've decided will be as follows. 10 or more entrants: $25 pot bonus, 16+ entrants: $50 pot bonus, 24+ entrants: $75.00, 32+ entrants: $100.00
WS, WF, LQ, LS, LF, GF? i think that's where loser's starts

we SHOULD be able to swag out setups. i can bring a tv if we need it. i think bloodpeach can bring his recording setup if he wants, or shears can.

yo dan tell all your melee friends to throwback and play at this

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
Wrong. There is a mathematical reasoning for wanting to do 4 stocks instead less or more.

As you start from 1 stock and make your way up, you get much more accurate results in terms of who's the better player. The reasoning is that after a certain point you get diminishing returns in result accuracy versus the extra amount of time it takes to play those extra stocks. Hence, the main reasoning behind 4 stocks is that playing with less stocks will give a dramatic decrease in accuracy of results and playing with more stocks gains almost no accuracy while having to spend more time playing.

Of course the data behind this graph is not factual but the concept behind the graph is. If you disagree with this, you're disagreeing about where the graph plateaus.
thats a very cool way to visualize the difference. I agree with the concept but i have no idea where the true plateau would be. It would be cool to try to figure it out experimentally but that sounds like way too much work

LLDL

Smash Hero
SigMelee can no longer stream this. I'm currently looking to see if I can get a good stream.

:phone:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
that would be pretty much the best thing possible, chain ace. turns out bloodpeach is in chicago and will not be coming, so we won't have a recording setup...

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
bae wants me to go all ness

do i sacrifice my chances of winning to look like a bad ass?

nope

she can suck a ****

play to win or die mother ****ers

prepare to feel the wrath of pika/kirby

LLDL

Smash Hero
I have 7 tv's, 3 cartridges and 6 consoles here currently. If you guys can bring 3 cartridges and one more console + game we'll be set!

Shears

Smash Master
I'm bringing cartridge and console.

Also, does anyone know how to grease sticks? I'll be bringing grease and would be willing to pay someone to grease them for me.

AthensHorseParty

Smash Journeyman
You should just try going up to random people at the venue, or even on the street corner or nearest bus stop and ask if you can pay them to grease your stick. They'll know what you mean.

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
COBR VS LD

KERO AND JOHNSON ON COMMENTARY

MUST WATCH

ACTUALLY

ALL OF LD'S SETS ARE HYPE AF

WATCH ALL OF THEM

Top Bottom