• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Thread 5.0: ITT - ANYTHING CAN CHANGE! Including the page we end at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Only Paper Mario game I haven't played is Sticker Star.

Despite all the hate I hear about it, to be honest, knowing myself it's probably not something I would absolutely hate. I rarely actually hate any games that I play, at the very least I just criticize some aspects of it and still enjoy what they do have to offer.

Also, favorite Mario RPG is Bowser's Inside Story. :p

TheLastLugia

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3007-8069-6935
Thanks, I guess I have to get started then. That is after the X Direct tomorrow, that has my full attention. Though as far as the Mario Kart 8 DLC is concerned, I have to say its great. Raced against 6 Dry Bowsers in one match online lol, it was my first time on Ribbon Road and I finished 3rd. It's all around great, the Villager and Issabelle's sound effects, everything about the Animal Crossing track, even better than the Zelda one for me, and that's saying something. Oh and the guy who's idea it was to make Baby Park full anti-gravity deserves a medal.

Favourite Mario RPG? 100% Bowser's Inside Story, though that is the only one I've really played lol.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
[...]
Ok, I'm honestly almost wanting to end this with that....baseless claim, but if I was truly wanting to have every mario rpg be paper mario, first, I would not even think smrpg existed and second, I would actually HATE the M&L series.....this is clearly not the point I made.

smrpg isn't Paper Mario and I liked it.

smrpg is a mario rpg.

Therefore, your claim is not only wrong, but was based on the assumption that I thoguht M&L should not exist.

Seriously, read the text I write, I actually clearly told that I liked smrpg despite the very long bossoes for reasons I couldn't graps. Btw, both M&L and Paper Mario are based on smrpg which makes your claim less credible.

And I can`t believe you actually wrote the last 2 sentences. I said SEVERAL TIMES in THIS THREADS that I AM PICKY ON VIDEO GAMES TASTES. That is the reasons I only talk about those I liked because there's a numbers of games I didn't and you certainly won't find it interesting if I told everything why because I'm so picky. So, to say I'm tasteless ASSUMES that I'M NOT CONSCIOUS that I'm picky.....which considering the assumption, I really don't get how you came into this.

You actually just proved my points on the first game, you said it KEPT EVOLVING, not CHANGING. If I was actually liking the basic of the game, I would CLEARLY notice it, but I didn't and the latest game has the same base if your claim is true because it's just an expansion which IS THE FREAKING SAME AS TTYD AND PM64!!!!

....look, I just don't get why you haven't realised that it's the very core I don't like. That's design philosophies, you have to completely and drastically change stuff if you change this. You may not like the effects of it, but if you don't like it itself, it's worse.

[...]

Guys, you're all trying to tell me I don't like the result of the philosophy only, but I know it's the philosophy itself I dislike. I really don't get why anyone got it so far, but you know why I never wanted to post the thing I did....people wouldn't actually get it....I guess I was right.....

My dear Aldero, I never claimed you "would not even think smrpg existed", or you "HATE the M&L series". I simply said that Paper Mario turned you into a man who can't find anything like his beloved games, thus finding good games, even though you know they are good, tasteless, with no charm like a Paper Mario. All of your big talk only proved my point : in the end, you don't like the games because it's not like the ones you like. And since you're a picky type of person, it makes you pretty close-minded.

To conclude this futile debate, that I knew would happened, since you can't stop yourself from making paragraphs for your beloved series, I'll simply say this : start talking about something that isn't Paper Mario. People pratically only know you as the "Paper Mario Guy" or "Paper Mario Fanboy". You could say I'm not the one to talk with Nichijou, Chaplin or Ace Attorney, but I at least talk and debate on other things. I just wish you would actually talk more about something else that isn't Paper Mario. This talk about M&L is maybe the start.

Anyway, this end this idiotic and somehow constructive talk about "Mario & Luigi : Superstar Saga". Next time, I hope you'll talk about something that isn't related to Paper Mario.

Thank you for this great debate my good sir. I hope you'll provide something like this in the future. On a different subject of course. Now, I declare this debate closed.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Finally finished Majora's Mask 100%. Been meaning to play through this game for years.

Glad I waited for the remake. The amount of mask swapping was probably asinine with the N64 layout. The environments look spectacular when remade and upscaled in graphic quality. My favourite place to look at is the sky during the Final Day, when it's bright blue with mix of green and red/orange. Makes the setting feel both beautiful and uncomfortable, knowing its the day the moon crashes.

Transformation masks were fun. Best mask is Goron Motorcycle.

Favorite temple would be between Great Bay Temple and Stone Tower Temple. Probably the latter a bit more.

Best boss is Goht, because Goron Motorcycle.

I think I might have to play through OoT again to see which is better. It's been a long while since I played through OoT on my first time.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Mario & Luigi vs. Paper Mario.
It's obviously lop-sided as it's 2 vs 1. :p

:231:
Make that 3 v 1. I love me some Mario and Luigi I STILL need to buy Dream Team

Someone Convince me to buy it

Anyway, that MK8 DLC though
After playing 200cc for over an hour, the default speed for online is too slow and it pisses me off

Also, favorite Mario RPG is Bowser's Inside Story. :p
Thanks for reminding me to play that game again

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

My dear Aldero, I never claimed you "would not even think smrpg existed", or you "HATE the M&L series". I simply said that Paper Mario turned you into a man who can't find anything like his beloved games, thus finding good games, even though you know they are good, tasteless, with no charm like a Paper Mario. All of your big talk only proved my point : in the end, you don't like the games because it's not like the ones you like. And since you're a picky type of person, it makes you pretty close-minded.

To conclude this futile debate, that I knew would happened, since you can't stop yourself from making paragraphs for your beloved series, I'll simply say this : start talking about something that isn't Paper Mario. People pratically only know you as the "Paper Mario Guy" or "Paper Mario Fanboy". You could say I'm not the one to talk with Nichijou, Chaplin or Ace Attorney, but I at least talk and debate on other things. I just wish you would actually talk more about something else that isn't Paper Mario. This talk about M&L is maybe the start.

Anyway, this end this idiotic and somehow constructive talk about "Mario & Luigi : Superstar Saga". Next time, I hope you'll talk about something that isn't related to Paper Mario.

Thank you for this great debate my good sir. I hope you'll provide something like this in the future. On a different subject of course. Now, I declare this debate closed.
I just never got why you were one of 3 people that don't accept I'm picky.....

And I honestly don't get why first: you expect it'll change (it won't, the only thing that casn change is the stuff I know, I can't change what I like....).

Second, why you're telling (or almost) that I don't care about anything else.

third, why you didn't get it int he first place.

Seriously, you almost sounds like you refuse the truth I told about me, I'm telling what I thought, but I guess I somehow should have never done it.....

Which is ironic considering you want me to do it....

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
You have to win all cups from 50cc-Mirror to unlock GP 200cc. It's available in VS from the start, though.
Wrong. You just need to beat 150 cc. not even mirror

Also @ Luggy Luggy I missed you man, whats up?
Do tell me, is Big Blue good????
It makes my heart race at mach 10

So yes, its amazing

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
I just never got why you were one of 3 people that don't accept I'm picky.....

And I honestly don't get why first: you expect it'll change (it won't, the only thing that casn change is the stuff I know, I can't change what I like....).

Second, why you're telling (or almost) that I don't care about anything else.

third, why you didn't get it int he first place.

Seriously, you almost sounds like you refuse the truth I told about me, I'm telling what I thought, but I guess I somehow should have never done it.....

Which is ironic considering you want me to do it....

Do you want the real truth about you ? Or at least, what you make yourself look like from the outside ? Like I told you before : the Paper Mario Man. A man, with no interests other than one series of video games, that talks about it everyday and nothing else. We know, somewhere, you like other things, but you simply don't talk about it. And we're not talking about games, we're talking about normal things. I never saw you talking about something other than Paper Mario. And being picky is not an excuse to only talk about the thing you like. We want to see you actually talking about other stuff, not just your favorite paper shaped plumber.

If the only stuff you know is Paper Mario and how great it is, then I'll say it's sad. I just want you to prove us what you really are, a real person, not the Paper Mario Man. So please, understand that we never said we don't like you being "picky", we just want you to talk about other stuff. Stuff that isn't Paper Mario.

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I know this is really overused but
Reeeeeeally overused, but aren't all memes the same?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Do you want the real truth about you ? Or at least, what you make yourself look like from the outside ? Like I told you before : the Paper Mario Man. A man, with no interests other than one series of video games, that talks about it everyday and nothing else. We know, somewhere, you like other things, but you simply don't talk about it. And we're not talking about games, we're talking about normal things. I never saw you talking about something other than Paper Mario. And being picky is not an excuse to only talk about the thing you like. We want to see you actually talking about other stuff, not just your favorite paper shaped plumber.

If the only stuff you know is Paper Mario and how great it is, then I'll say it's sad. I just want you to prove us what you really are, a real person, not the Paper Mario Man. So please, understand that we never said we don't like you being "picky", we just want you to talk about other stuff. Stuff that isn't Paper Mario.
....this is beginning to be so ironic I'm actually very confused.

On one hand you tell the pure truth that I can't deny.

On the other hand, you expect me to change the way I talk while you abruptly ended everything while you didn't even wanted to continue.....I said I should have never posted what I though because I didn't trust enough people to do it, I made an exception because you actually asked me to do it, but I realised that I shouldn't have trusted anyone to get it in the first place because you assume I was happy to have this, you ended it.

Congrats, you prevented me to do what you want and now I feel I want to do the opposite of what you want.

Oh and the fact you didn't wanted to reply to anything just shows me that you actually don't really care in the end.....

This is getting insanely out of non sense....

Now, I think my head hurts a bit....I feel stupid for actually answering you in the first place, thanks.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I only see tense discussion; where are the Squids I got promised??!! :4dk:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
....this is beginning to be so ironic I'm actually very confused.

On one hand you tell the pure truth that I can't deny.

On the other hand, you expect me to change the way I talk while you abruptly ended everything while you didn't even wanted to continue.....I said I should have never posted what I though because I didn't trust enough people to do it, I made an exception because you actually asked me to do it, but I realised that I shouldn't have trusted anyone to get it in the first place because you assume I was happy to have this, you ended it.

Congrats, you prevented me to do what you want and now I feel I want to do the opposite of what you want.

Oh and the fact you didn't wanted to reply to anything just shows me that you actually don't really care in the end.....

This is getting insanely out of non sense....

Now, I think my head hurts a bit....I feel stupid for actually answering you in the first place, thanks.
we just want to see you post things unrelated to Paper Mario sometimes

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
You got why I said I sweared to not wanting to post this....but i guess I don't see why I would stop....

Ok, first, that's not the main point, but the comparison is quite inaccurate.

pm64 is actually TTYD....it's really the same base, TTYD uses the same base as pm64. When I played pm64, I FELT there was AT THE VERY LEAST, a huge potential in the idea and I FELT it was CLEARLY enjoying. The ONLY thing TTYD did is to ENHANCE it.....not change it.

So, there's only one way my view would be invalid and that would be to not have the same base on the other games. However, I wanted to know if it was the case because a long time ago, I actually told I really didn't liked SS. I realised there was no way to know it EXCEPT the only thing I could try which was the demo of DT.

It has really the same base. It has expansions over SS, but that doesn't matter if I don't like the lowest level of the core gameplay.

meaning that unless you're telling me that SS base is forgotten (which I got it didn't), that comparison is pretty much inacurate because you compare a base I liked and one I didn't liked. If you were doing this with pm64 and spm, that would actually be indeed invalid of me, but to have the first and latest game having the same base and I know I didn't liked that base.....that is not asign of me being invalid, but observation of similarities.

Ok, I'm honestly almost wanting to end this with that....baseless claim, but if I was truly wanting to have every mario rpg be paper mario, first, I would not even think smrpg existed and second, I would actually HATE the M&L series.....this is clearly not the point I made.

smrpg isn't Paper Mario and I liked it.

smrpg is a mario rpg.

Therefore, your claim is not only wrong, but was based on the assumption that I thoguht M&L should not exist.

Seriously, read the text I write, I actually clearly told that I liked smrpg despite the very long bossoes for reasons I couldn't graps. Btw, both M&L and Paper Mario are based on smrpg which makes your claim less credible.

And I can`t believe you actually wrote the last 2 sentences. I said SEVERAL TIMES in THIS THREADS that I AM PICKY ON VIDEO GAMES TASTES. That is the reasons I only talk about those I liked because there's a numbers of games I didn't and you certainly won't find it interesting if I told everything why because I'm so picky. So, to say I'm tasteless ASSUMES that I'M NOT CONSCIOUS that I'm picky.....which considering the assumption, I really don't get how you came into this.

You actually just proved my points on the first game, you said it KEPT EVOLVING, not CHANGING. If I was actually liking the basic of the game, I would CLEARLY notice it, but I didn't and the latest game has the same base if your claim is true because it's just an expansion which IS THE FREAKING SAME AS TTYD AND PM64!!!!

....look, I just don't get why you haven't realised that it's the very core I don't like. That's design philosophies, you have to completely and drastically change stuff if you change this. You may not like the effects of it, but if you don't like it itself, it's worse.

I seriously don't get why you posted the pics because I did beat the game and I do know these places....we're indeed talking about the game....that wasn't neccessary.

huh geez, I SAID FELT REPETITIVE, NOT REPETIVE THEMSELVES!!!!

In fact, i seriously have yet to find an rpg that the battles aren't repetitive, because I got it's done on purpose for a good thing, BUT it brings the weakness of feeling it which is not really supposed to happen considering the genre is supposed to immerses you. Good example that did it right is earthbound, SUPER REPETITVE, but you don't feel it because the fights has mechanics to not have the feel to be too strong for you to be annoyed. And I loved the auto fight.

pm64 DID got into a way when it felt it, but the thing is, the presentation DECREASED the effect ENOUGH to not be much annoyed by it.

TTYD is the freaking best in this category because it makes WANT to be repetitive, I mean, try to find why the ch3 is just awesome.....it's JUST repeptitive fights and a boss.....seriosuly, there's big reasons why I praised that system so much.

What I was SAYING, is that SS FELT repeptitive, but not in a way that the presentation decreased it enough. THIS is what I was pointing out, but please, read the words.....

The L and R is not nitpicking. I realised it became a frustration to just do soemthing so simple. The reason I didn't elaborated on this is becasue I know for a fact it HUGELY improved after SS. I couldn't much felt it in DT, but I do recall to feel a bit weird with the button....but I don't think it was that bad as SS was. Basically, it's not a good input deisgn imo, but it shouldn't matter on the series because it got changed. The base however wouldn't (or unless they actually made the games in between completely change.....I don't think it does considering I only hear expansions stuff).

I learned that hub was kinda present with SS, it was never a problem.

For the changes, additions again. If I don't like the base, the additions will simply do nothing to me. That's like expecting to like TTYD if I didn't like pm64....there's a good chances it would be a disappointement....

And it's funny you mention the music because try try.....I listened to the ssb4 theme.....nothing. Actually, I listened the final boss theme in ssb4, don't remember the name and I felt a strange feel. I felt it could have gotten somewhere that had so much potential but just didn't....yeah, I honestly didn't really felt that the music had much on me.

Guys, you're all trying to tell me I don't like the result of the philosophy only, but I know it's the philosophy itself I dislike. I really don't get why anyone got it so far, but you know why I never wanted to post the thing I did....people wouldn't actually get it....I guess I was right.....
Calm down, we are not demanding you to like the game or crucifiying you for it. When you voice your opinion on the Internet, you leave yourself open to attack. I got nothing against you not liking the game, but I'm just saying some of the things you point out are extremely weak reasons to dislike the game.

First off, you said you felt the scenery was bland, so I just brought up examples of how the game is actually well detailed. The scenery has quite a lot of love put into it, and you always want to explore because there could be secrets (mostly beans).

Second, you said that "you have yet to find an rpg where combat isn't repetitive". So that point is pretty invalid. The game can show you flashy colors and animations (like PM) to alleviate the issue, but that really doesn't change anything. You got to make combat entertaining or interesting. Like... *gulp*... Five Nights at F****** 3. I KNOW I KNOW, FNAF. STOP AND LISTEN.
I LOVED the combat in that game. In it, you really only play as one character (for the most part): Springtrap. Needless to say, the game is very difficult since you have no allies. However, due to this, Springtrap gets to move twice, and even thrice (with a special weapon), and since enemies are stronger than you, you got to be strategic with your buffs and debuffs so that party hats and the bosses won't wreck you. When you get further, you play as Golden Freddy, who has the ability to use Tech points (which you get when you attack or are attacked) to summon party members: different level party hats and even overpowered Shadow Animatronics to help you. However, since the enemies only attack G.F. and the Shadows cannot revive him if he goes down, not to mention limited mkney, you got to be very careful. Do bad in a battle, and it's likely you will get stuck due to insufficient resources. That is interesting RPG combat.

Another game that had interesting combat was Golden Sun, with the Djinnis, and their stances. You COULD use that Djinni for a powerful attack, however, you will become weaker, BUT, you can then use them for a very strong attack, BUUUT you will need to wait a few turns before they can be set to you again, leaving you more weak than usual. It has a high risk to reward combat, and I fell in love for it.

Third, the L and R system really is nitpicking. I mean, if you had to quickly switch moves to pass an area or do some other thing under a time limit, I would understand... But, you don't. The Gameboy didn't have that many buttons, so it's not like they could do anything about it. The fault for those things were technical problems with the console, not bad design. Plus, nearly everything that's timed in that game let's you get another try at it, so there is no problem with it.

I only replied to my part, mind you. I don't hate you for disliking Superstar Saga, but please, let me try to defend it. I do not want to offend you in anyway,

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So I'm watching new DLC tracks in MK.
And God I feel left out.

Omg Neo Bowser City was picked online and I NEVER seen that many people break at every turn before
Really? I mean, I'll admit it wasn't exactly a cakewalk in MK7, but even I (and trust me I can't do much in Mk) can drive it just fine.

Last edited:

Strofirko

Smash Master
The great squid migration already ended,a rare natural phenomenom that can happen only once in a life span.:crying:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Second, you said that "you have yet to find an rpg where combat isn't repetitive". So that point is pretty invalid. The game can show you flashy colors and animations (like PM) to alleviate the issue, but that really doesn't change anything. You got to make combat entertaining or interesting. Like... *gulp*... Five Nights at F****** 3. I KNOW I KNOW, FNAF. STOP AND LISTEN.
I LOVED the combat in that game. In it, you really only play as one character (for the most part): Springtrap. Needless to say, the game is very difficult since you have no allies. However, due to this, Springtrap gets to move twice, and even thrice (with a special weapon), and since enemies are stronger than you, you got to be strategic with your buffs and debuffs so that party hats and the bosses won't wreck you. When you get further, you play as Golden Freddy, who has the ability to use Tech points (which you get when you attack or are attacked) to summon party members: different level party hats and even overpowered Shadow Animatronics to help you. However, since the enemies only attack G.F. and the Shadows cannot revive him if he goes down, not to mention limited mkney, you got to be very careful. Do bad in a battle, and it's likely you will get stuck due to insufficient resources. That is interesting RPG combat.
Alright, you convinced me to watch Markiplier play Five Nights at ****boys now.

Yoshi-hara

The Good Dinosaur
NNID
jpkurihara
3DS FC
4227-1292-9283
Alright, you convinced me to watch Markiplier play Five Nights at ****boys now.
The humor is very crude, so it doesn't appeal to all, but I find it pretty funny imo (what am I, 7?)
In the end, even if you don't like that type of humor, I would advise you to play it. It is a very, very solid rpg, specially considering the fact it's a totally free game.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
So, everybody is playing MK8 in 200cc while I sit here trying to complete All-Star with Chalk

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
So, everybody is playing MK8 in 200cc while I sit here trying to complete All-Star with Chalk
Meh, I can't because as I've already said a thousand times region issues with eShop... or neither have the game... I hate being poor.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
"partners in time"

Are you talking **** about PiT?
No one talks **** about PiT on my watch.
Did someone insult Partners in Time?
*Narrows eyes*
I'll get the Katanas.
For me, Partners in Time is the weakest instalment in the Mario & Luigi series though, as it it's comparatively devoid of humour and really dark, which felt pretty jarring after SuperStar Saga.

:231:
It's pretty dark, yeah, but it has plenty of humor in it.
The Toadsworth duo and their antics, Bowser and Baby Bowser teaming up, Pretty much anything that the babies/Luigi do during cutscenes, etc.
And the Star Gate.
The Star Gate is one of my favorite moments in the Mario and Luigi series.

The bros items as well, I like because they use all 4 buttons, making them pretty complex to do sometimes.
I've practiced them enough to the point where I can pretty much one shot some of the last bosses with copy flowers.

Also, one of the reasons that I liked PiT so much was because it was pretty dark.
I also like how the music reflects the darkness of the game.
And despite the Epicness of Adventure's End and In the Final, the final boss theme of PiT is till one of my favorites.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866

WAY TO FAST. 200CC is ridiculous. And I love it. But gettng 3 stars in every cup? **** that. It's so hard to do it with the A.I

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom