• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social Thread 5.0: ITT - ANYTHING CAN CHANGE! Including the page we end at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I told my rabbit Ill have to wash her cage another day because If I stay out there scrubbing the cage, Im going to die
Heat - 1 Obo - 0
:secretkpop:
But seriously, I'm not going out unless I have to :L
Get an AC or a handmade fan

It's looking okay, maybe if you keep at it you'll get it right. I'd do it for you but I myself am not that great of an artist.
Just an example.
I have an AC, but lol power saver mode
Nice drawing :189:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Get an AC or a handmade fan

It's looking okay, maybe if you keep at it you'll get it right. I'd do it for you but I myself am not that great of an artist.
Just an example.
Your draw is good, but if Flight would be here, he would say to both of us : "Not bad":yeahboi: (But yeah i have to git gud.:dk:)

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
dont most have them?
plus I'm going to be in and out the house so AC won't matter
rest in heat me
420 - 1337
My family is in it but they gave us an option to go in it or not but my mom doesn't like it because she would be burning up but the company will not turn your ac on

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
"Waiting and hoping that person will give feedback on my drawn"

Soul.

Lol, customs vs. no customs...
Maybe if they were implemented better everyone would be on the pro side, but the pro-customs side has to make these weird *** arguments just to have them in because they don't want to play default.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Lol, customs vs. no customs...
Maybe if they were implemented better everyone would be on the pro side, but the pro-customs side has to make these weird *** arguments just to have them in because they don't want to play default.
What part of "they're an additional set of options that will help prevent metagame stagnation" is a weird ass argument just to have them in because they don't want to play default?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
OH MY GOD!! Flight is here! And he like my drawn. "die of hapiness"

D

Deleted member

Your draw is good, but if Flight would be here, he would say to both of us : "Not bad":yeahboi: (But yeah i have to git gud.:dk:)
"Not bad" doesn't mean the picture is something abysmal like Chris-Chan's drawings. You just need to get better with practice.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
"Not bad" doesn't mean the picture is something abysmal like Chris-Chan's drawings. You just need to get better with practice.
Oh, but i just say that because it's one of your famous line. Not that i was implying something like that your say that my draw is not that great. Don't worry, I know it's for say that it's good.:4gaw:

Soul.

What part of "they're an additional set of options that will help prevent metagame stagnation" is a weird *** argument just to have them in because they don't want to play default?
"More options" is what almost every pro-custom player says. Special moves aren't everything, and custom moves are the opposite. It's like the characters rely on their custom move to win lol.

Actually I don't care about customs. I'll play whatever becomes the norm. Jank is adorable.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
All this likes on my drawn...
Thank you all much guys, if the character on my drawn could say something. They will said "Thank you" to all of you who liked. Really, your make me so happy. It make me want to do more drawn and to finish my story one day. Thank you all again.

Last edited:

Mr Snakey

Odango bazooka!
NNID
perlacambara1996
Thank you alll much guys, if the character on my drawn could say something. They will said "Thank you" to all of you who liked. Really, your make me so happy. It make me want to do more drawn and to finish my story one day. Thank you all again.
I wish I had the urge to practice drawing! I used to draw a lot of things until my big sister overshadowed me with her better drawing skills >.< It's all ok though!, She draws things for me with her art tablet. I requested something from her and she is currently drawing it for me! I cant wait til it is finished :colorful:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I wish I had the urge to practice drawing! I used to draw a lot of things until my big sister overshadowed me with her better drawing skills >.< It's all ok though!, She draws things for me with her art tablet. I requested something from her and she is currently drawing it for me! I cant wait til it is finished :colorful:
Wait a second...do i have to understand that, your demand at your sister to a draw of one my character or something like that? Or i don't understand what your say? Because if this is the first option, i think i will have to change my pant. Also you have like me a sister that is better at draw that you! Welcome to the club.:4iggy:

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
So, I tested 3 of my games I got for my birthday. I'll only talk about the Wii U ones. I have nothing to say about "PL vs PW", it's a good game. I'll just give my first impressions on the "Wah U" games.
  • Super Mario 3D World : Fun game. Not really hard, but plesant to play. But like "3D Land" , the game tries hard to make the game simple, and for nothing, especially with the Cat Suit that I try to avoid because there's more challenge without it. Call me an idiot for making that choice, but I prefer having a little bit of challenge instead of just going through the game as a cat. Otherwise, really fun, like any Mario.
  • Splatoon : The game is good, I just suck at shooters on console. You give me a mouse and keyboard, I would do totally fine. But with a controller, it's really painful for me to play. But the gameplay is still nice, it's just me who sucks. Other than that, the graphism are colorful and nice to look at. The universe around it though is...kinda cringeworthy. I know it's supposed to be "cool" and all that stuff, but it's a little bit too cringeworthy for me. But at least, the characters are good, all of them have a personality and likeable. It's a good game, I just need to "git gud", that's all.
And I'll play Apollo Justice later, after I've finished "PL vs PW".

Thank you all much guys, if the character on my drawn could say something. They will said "Thank you" to all of you who liked. Really, your make me so happy. It make me want to do more drawn and to finish my story one day. Thank you all again.
tumblr_inline_n7slzns7Da1qg7lq7.png

Keep drawing, you'll get better results the more you do it.
And if you wanna do a big story, make sure to make a good scenario for it, with good character developpement and all of that good stuff.
Anyway, courage my friend, you can do it.

Just...DO IT !

Mr Snakey

Odango bazooka!
NNID
perlacambara1996
Okay @ Mr Snakey Mr Snakey we need to talk.

What is up with your signature.
Well you see here, my favorite anime is yuru yuri, and I really love the game 007 goldeneye 64! There is a multiplayer game mode called slappers only where you have to eliminate your oppenents by slapping them to death. I found clips of the anime where they make slapping motions. I made them transparent, added the caption and done! :happysheep:

Mr Snakey

Odango bazooka!
NNID
perlacambara1996
Wait a second...do i have to understand that, your demand at your sister to a draw of one my character or something like that? Or i don't understand what your say? Because if this is the first option, i think i will have to change my pant. Also you have like me a sister that is better at draw that you! Welcome to the club.:4iggy:
Well, it be kinda weird if I asked her to draw an anime character that she or I hasn't seen or something like that, but she does have a deviant art account i believe. Possible you can request some art from her and tell her I sent ya! :colorful: I'm pretty sure she would be obliged to do it! Edit: Ooopsie Doodle! I made a double post! :c:c

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
View attachment 57861
Keep drawing, you'll get better results the more you do it.
And if you wanna do a big story, make sure to make a good scenario for it, with good character developpement and all of that good stuff.
Anyway, courage my friend, you can do it.

Just...DO IT !
Thank you so much. I try the hardest for my story and my character to be coherent and make them the more good that i can. And for my draw, i try to give the best expression and look i can give. This project is big for my life. But with person like you supporting me.
No matter the pain.
Or the time he would need.
One day, on the shine of a star.
I will finish my story and share to all of you.
Because your the one that support me.
So in short. I WILL DO IT!!!

Thank you again for all! :)

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Well, it be kinda weird if I asked her to draw an anime character that she or I hasn't seen or something like that, but she does have a deviant art account i believe. Possible you can request some art from her and tell her I sent ya! :colorful: I'm pretty sure she would be obliged to do it! Edit: Ooopsie Doodle! I made a double post! :c:c
I don't have a account Devianrt. :( But if you can, you can share the draw that i show you at your sister and take the image that i use for exemple for helping her. But it's just a request of course. But one that will make me really happy. :)

Mr Snakey

Odango bazooka!
NNID
perlacambara1996
I don't have a account Devianrt. :( But if you can, you can share the draw that i show you at your sister and take the image that i use for exemple for helping her. But it's just a request of course. But one that will make me really happy. :)
I will see if I can find the right time to ask her and see if she will do it! She doesn't seem like the one to turn down online requests since she has done those before. I'll see what I can do! :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Idk why I would type this on my gamepad, but here's my review on m&l dream team.....except it's not going to just review the game quality, it's more a comparison.

Throughout my playthrough, one thing that standed out was the philosophy of a mario rpg that is really different than paper mario. This time, it's more clear than superstar saga which I questioned it several time. I think dream team tries to convey a philosophy in a neat way which leads me to think that a comparison with TTYD can be done on the matter as TTYD do convey another philosophy in a neat way.

the following spoiler will be long to read:

Let's start by the intro before the core gameplay, it's quite standard. One thing to note, it took me a long time before getting the pun with pillow...,blame that apostrophe.

I'm first going to bring something which I heard A LOT of complain, tutorial. Let me say honestly, NO THEY ARE NOT THAT ANNOYING, the game is bloated with them however. I would wish the game took a more discrete approach like paper mario loves to do, but it's just not very annoying.

Now, the story is....well, just don't expect deep love story with a computer, expect more basic plot that alone doesn't make you want to play. I think it's clear that it wasn't the focus here.

What I will bring however is the humor. This has now became clear to me how m&l is vastly different than paper mario in that regard. While TTYD will try to break the fourth wall often, the main charm of its humor is that the humor is very silly, but presented with a deep connection to the real world. Ch 3-4 from spm and the credit card fraud from TTYD are great examples, it's silly, but reflects something that happens in real life, kinda like what the series mother tries to do (the series actually revolves on that).

m&l will not try this however, its main focus will try to push the humor to the farthest boundary possible resulting in blowing things out of proportion and so, it becomes so absurd that it become funny, but you won't really have the connection with the real world.

The French text mix as well as the "hoo" are great example.

And this is why I didn't laugh much in dream team, there's not much connection with the real world. The jokes might be funny if I took them from another angle, but I'm a logical guy, for me, pointing out silly logic which the contradiction in real life is clear will make my brain react, but I'm not one of those guys that would laugh when the salad gif on this thread happened, It just makes me question what is so funny about it? There's nothing wrong with it...That's the same thing that happens when I play m&l. I don't just laugh at randomness or weird things, I laugh at logical humor that is meant to not make sense because I would get it instantly.

The thing that proves my point is there's actuallysome part which I laughed that are more closer to the paper mario philosophy. The part when the badge shop guy goes from 1000 coins before giving the badge for free was funny, the fade out + music when the boss in the desert is hurt, the dream you have when drinking the fountain (that game over screen, lol) and the fake killing bowser (this is genius because for a split second you see the hud).

But these are logical, I laugh because something was wrong in the logic. The rest of the game was just not very funny to me and the text became bland to me. some are even hard to read with how they try to mess up the English to have weird stuff, but I didn't find any enjoyment to read them, my brain had trouble to read actually.

As for the graphical design, it is gorgeous, but variety isn't a focus unlike paper mario. Sure, there's variety between the world (unlike sticker star), but the variety inside an area feels repetitive at one point. It just doesn't have as much effort in the charms of them and I think it's because paper mario has to try variety with how unconventional the artstyle is, m&l feels more standard and thus, it doesn't really need variety or that much charms. I still think it's a flaw in the prsentation of m&l because it just doesn't make me stop and admire, it just passes and it goes away once I'm done, it doesn't leave much memories.

As for the dream world, same thing, but I praise the 2.5d design. It's messed up with the background and foreground reflecting how random is a dream. there's unfortunately less variety inside worlds however.

As for music, some left a slight mark of memory. The minigame music, the weird dialog music and kinda the boss music mainly, but the best music by far is the dreamy pillow castle music. It's so much happy, it felt like the first village music in smrpg, it tries to push happiness constantly. Unfortunately, not much were THAT good and it has to do with how I enjoy music. I suck at multitasking, decoding multipledistinct complex sounds at the same time is harder for me than decoding a main track with the background following with simple sounds. The dreamy castle music is a great example, the sounds are very simple and the background is quite merging with the track. This is why I love so much the ttyd ost, it's 8 bit style, simple, but can go very well.

As for the logistic OH NO! THERE WAS ONE ERROR AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Lol, it's minor though. the room before fighting giant bowser has a canon that shoots ball down. You need to spring jump while they go down to destroy them, but nothing tells you it's possible, it took me a quick internet to find it. however, the rest was flawless making it a non frustrating experience.

About giant battle, I have a mixed opinion, sure, they look gorgeous (especially the wakeport one), but they just felt like QTE instead of strategic battle with action command. The flow is very restrited and I honestly think more effort have been put in the strategy.

A quick note on the gyroscope, I loved to use it. it just works well unless you didn't get that the picture of the guy looking at its 3ds meant to allign the console so the screen faces up. It took me a game over on the zeekeeper to get that.

Let's finally get to gameplay, the overworld, I honest still think it's flawed like pressing 2 buttons to jump and the frequent modes switch, but it's actually decently playable. In fact, these flaws played a very minor role, it lead to some confusion and mistakes, but it wasn't near as bad as superstar saga.

Let's finally get to the core of the review, battle gameplay. This is where the line between paper mario and m&l thickens, it's not similar in practice at all, only in theory. M&l requires you much more practice and handling than paper mario, it revolves a lot more on the execution than strategy while it's the opposite for paper mario. In fact the most obvious thing with m&l is how that unless you're a ninja, some attacks are near impossible to dodge without knowing the signal beforehand (seriously, it's sometime unfair). Paper mario, you can "feel" the signal because it's always when you are about to get damage. A very short statement would be m&l requires you to use the cue the games gives while paper mario, just create your personal cue, the timing is constant when you get or give damage unlike m&l.

And this actually gives a nice challenge, it sometime is hard for the wrong reasons: it's so unforgiving. Messing the timing of dodge can cost you a game over and for messing the attacks, you get more chances to mess up the dodge. Yes, the dodge is in order of magnitude MMMMMMMMUCH harder than attacking. Some attacks are SO LONG that it actually made me flee every battle in bowser's castle and the summon woods, it's just so annoying to deal with, it feels like a punishment to get into a battle with how long a very simple attack can last, it became frustrating.

But this system brings one flaw that I think is the main reason why I don't like this system, the lack of strategy. Interestingly enough, this is actually similar to smrpg where the bosses are so long that it becomes an endurance battle instead of a strategical one, So, even though I felt a similar enjoyment when fighting bosses, it had a lack of strategy. You only have a single jump, a single hammer and max 5 bros attacks PER TURN! Paper Mario has....well, the one you wants! the difference is huge between having very basic strategy options and having diverse one with MANY expansion possible. Again, I'm a logical guy, focusing on execution is just not my tastes. I did like the challenge of the bosses however.

As for why I didn't beat the final boss, I beat antasma fine, but the final boss would require grinding, I fled too much, and I just don't want to deal with so long attacks to grind myself, it'll take too much time for what it's worth.

There was some surprise of the game that were appreciated, the minigames as well as the artwork puzzle gave charms to the game. I cared at the beginning for the expert challenge, until it became insane to not care much.

The big question: was this game worth 40$ after all?

Yes, but not as much as I would want to. The overall experience with all like and dislikes was....average. it's the type of game that I would play once.....and that's it. there's not much memorable part, nor something that made me react that much that I would recall next month. Some parts worth mentions, but not as much as I would want to. It does worth 40$ but it's far from what I qualify as masterpiece. paying the game 28$ however was a bright decision, excellent value for 28$.

lastly, the demo was really weird. they show scattered part of the game, beginning and even getting a part of the ultibed leading me to believe that what we saw of paper jam will likely turn out that way.

Speaking of paper jam, this is where the experience can change drastically for the best. If this game had a system that was average to me and you had another system that was awesome for me, the slightest addition would make the game much better for me. My only complain is it's still lacks strategy, but 3 characters means more options which means it's more complex. Not to mention that paper jam would fix everything else from overworld diversity and even humor as we saw in the intro, both style feels merged.

Basically, it still depends on what paper mario will bring BUT IT IS NOW LIKELY THAT I BUY THE GAME!

TL;dr, this game shows why I love so much paper mario and why I don't have the same enjoyment from m&l.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I will see if I can find the right time to ask her and see if she will do it! She doesn't seem like the one to turn down online requests since she has done those before. I'll see what I can do! :)
Thank you so much! No, you know what? My character should give you some remerciement for you effort. Zelox! Zelax!
The two: Yeah?
Me: Give some remerciement for the person that support you and my project!
Zelox: Oh euh...Ok..i guess i should thank you for supporting our creator and his project. Really, thank you for supporting!
Zelax: Remerciement. right? Well...my brother is one of the only true thing i love. But....i guess since your are the first person that know our existence. And even support the project of our creator. I think i have to show my gratitude! So..
Zelox and Zelax: Thanks for supporting! :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh, but i just say that because it's one of your famous line. Not that i was implying something like that your say that my draw is not that great. Don't worry, I know it's for say that it's good.:4gaw:
Yeah, I'm aware.

Unrelated: today is a Sunday?! I thought it was a Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Well guys. I have to go to bed. Tomorrow is gonna to be a hard day with the rest of the week. And the next week is gonna to be harder since i will no internet at all, because i go in camp. but i want to say one thing before to go now. Thank you all again for you support. And i leave you with his music... Ciao!:4pacman:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Idk why I would type this on my gamepad, but here's my review on m&l dream team.....except it's not going to just review the game quality, it's more a comparison.

Throughout my playthrough, one thing that standed out was the philosophy of a mario rpg that is really different than paper mario. This time, it's more clear than superstar saga which I questioned it several time. I think dream team tries to convey a philosophy in a neat way which leads me to think that a comparison with TTYD can be done on the matter as TTYD do convey another philosophy in a neat way.

the following spoiler will be long to read:

Let's start by the intro before the core gameplay, it's quite standard. One thing to note, it took me a long time before getting the pun with pillow...,blame that apostrophe.

I'm first going to bring something which I heard A LOT of complain, tutorial. Let me say honestly, NO THEY ARE NOT THAT ANNOYING, the game is bloated with them however. I would wish the game took a more discrete approach like paper mario loves to do, but it's just not very annoying.

Now, the story is....well, just don't expect deep love story with a computer, expect more basic plot that alone doesn't make you want to play. I think it's clear that it wasn't the focus here.

What I will bring however is the humor. This has now became clear to me how m&l is vastly different than paper mario in that regard. While TTYD will try to break the fourth wall often, the main charm of its humor is that the humor is very silly, but presented with a deep connection to the real world. Ch 3-4 from spm and the credit card fraud from TTYD are great examples, it's silly, but reflects something that happens in real life, kinda like what the series mother tries to do (the series actually revolves on that).

m&l will not try this however, its main focus will try to push the humor to the farthest boundary possible resulting in blowing things out of proportion and so, it becomes so absurd that it become funny, but you won't really have the connection with the real world.

The French text mix as well as the "hoo" are great example.

And this is why I didn't laugh much in dream team, there's not much connection with the real world. The jokes might be funny if I took them from another angle, but I'm a logical guy, for me, pointing out silly logic which the contradiction in real life is clear will make my brain react, but I'm not one of those guys that would laugh when the salad gif on this thread happened, It just makes me question what is so funny about it? There's nothing wrong with it...That's the same thing that happens when I play m&l. I don't just laugh at randomness or weird things, I laugh at logical humor that is meant to not make sense because I would get it instantly.

The thing that proves my point is there's actuallysome part which I laughed that are more closer to the paper mario philosophy. The part when the badge shop guy goes from 1000 coins before giving the badge for free was funny, the fade out + music when the boss in the desert is hurt, the dream you have when drinking the fountain (that game over screen, lol) and the fake killing bowser (this is genius because for a split second you see the hud).

But these are logical, I laugh because something was wrong in the logic. The rest of the game was just not very funny to me and the text became bland to me. some are even hard to read with how they try to mess up the English to have weird stuff, but I didn't find any enjoyment to read them, my brain had trouble to read actually.

As for the graphical design, it is gorgeous, but variety isn't a focus unlike paper mario. Sure, there's variety between the world (unlike sticker star), but the variety inside an area feels repetitive at one point. It just doesn't have as much effort in the charms of them and I think it's because paper mario has to try variety with how unconventional the artstyle is, m&l feels more standard and thus, it doesn't really need variety or that much charms. I still think it's a flaw in the prsentation of m&l because it just doesn't make me stop and admire, it just passes and it goes away once I'm done, it doesn't leave much memories.

As for the dream world, same thing, but I praise the 2.5d design. It's messed up with the background and foreground reflecting how random is a dream. there's unfortunately less variety inside worlds however.

As for music, some left a slight mark of memory. The minigame music, the weird dialog music and kinda the boss music mainly, but the best music by far is the dreamy pillow castle music. It's so much happy, it felt like the first village music in smrpg, it tries to push happiness constantly. Unfortunately, not much were THAT good and it has to do with how I enjoy music. I suck at multitasking, decoding multipledistinct complex sounds at the same time is harder for me than decoding a main track with the background following with simple sounds. The dreamy castle music is a great example, the sounds are very simple and the background is quite merging with the track. This is why I love so much the ttyd ost, it's 8 bit style, simple, but can go very well.

As for the logistic OH NO! THERE WAS ONE ERROR AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Lol, it's minor though. the room before fighting giant bowser has a canon that shoots ball down. You need to spring jump while they go down to destroy them, but nothing tells you it's possible, it took me a quick internet to find it. however, the rest was flawless making it a non frustrating experience.

About giant battle, I have a mixed opinion, sure, they look gorgeous (especially the wakeport one), but they just felt like QTE instead of strategic battle with action command. The flow is very restrited and I honestly think more effort have been put in the strategy.

A quick note on the gyroscope, I loved to use it. it just works well unless you didn't get that the picture of the guy looking at its 3ds meant to allign the console so the screen faces up. It took me a game over on the zeekeeper to get that.

Let's finally get to gameplay, the overworld, I honest still think it's flawed like pressing 2 buttons to jump and the frequent modes switch, but it's actually decently playable. In fact, these flaws played a very minor role, it lead to some confusion and mistakes, but it wasn't near as bad as superstar saga.

Let's finally get to the core of the review, battle gameplay. This is where the line between paper mario and m&l thickens, it's not similar in practice at all, only in theory. M&l requires you much more practice and handling than paper mario, it revolves a lot more on the execution than strategy while it's the opposite for paper mario. In fact the most obvious thing with m&l is how that unless you're a ninja, some attacks are near impossible to dodge without knowing the signal beforehand (seriously, it's sometime unfair). Paper mario, you can "feel" the signal because it's always when you are about to get damage. A very short statement would be m&l requires you to use the cue the games gives while paper mario, just create your personal cue, the timing is constant when you get or give damage unlike m&l.

And this actually gives a nice challenge, it sometime is hard for the wrong reasons: it's so unforgiving. Messing the timing of dodge can cost you a game over and for messing the attacks, you get more chances to mess up the dodge. Yes, the dodge is in order of magnitude MMMMMMMMUCH harder than attacking. Some attacks are SO LONG that it actually made me flee every battle in bowser's castle and the summon woods, it's just so annoying to deal with, it feels like a punishment to get into a battle with how long a very simple attack can last, it became frustrating.

But this system brings one flaw that I think is the main reason why I don't like this system, the lack of strategy. Interestingly enough, this is actually similar to smrpg where the bosses are so long that it becomes an endurance battle instead of a strategical one, So, even though I felt a similar enjoyment when fighting bosses, it had a lack of strategy. You only have a single jump, a single hammer and max 5 bros attacks PER TURN! Paper Mario has....well, the one you wants! the difference is huge between having very basic strategy options and having diverse one with MANY expansion possible. Again, I'm a logical guy, focusing on execution is just not my tastes. I did like the challenge of the bosses however.

As for why I didn't beat the final boss, I beat antasma fine, but the final boss would require grinding, I fled too much, and I just don't want to deal with so long attacks to grind myself, it'll take too much time for what it's worth.

There was some surprise of the game that were appreciated, the minigames as well as the artwork puzzle gave charms to the game. I cared at the beginning for the expert challenge, until it became insane to not care much.

The big question: was this game worth 40$ after all?

Yes, but not as much as I would want to. The overall experience with all like and dislikes was....average. it's the type of game that I would play once.....and that's it. there's not much memorable part, nor something that made me react that much that I would recall next month. Some parts worth mentions, but not as much as I would want to. It does worth 40$ but it's far from what I qualify as masterpiece. paying the game 28$ however was a bright decision, excellent value for 28$.

lastly, the demo was really weird. they show scattered part of the game, beginning and even getting a part of the ultibed leading me to believe that what we saw of paper jam will likely turn out that way.

Speaking of paper jam, this is where the experience can change drastically for the best. If this game had a system that was average to me and you had another system that was awesome for me, the slightest addition would make the game much better for me. My only complain is it's still lacks strategy, but 3 characters means more options which means it's more complex. Not to mention that paper jam would fix everything else from overworld diversity and even humor as we saw in the intro, both style feels merged.

Basically, it still depends on what paper mario will bring BUT IT IS NOW LIKELY THAT I BUY THE GAME!

TL;dr, this game shows why I love so much paper mario and why I don't have the same enjoyment from m&l.
*clicks spoiler*
oh
You played the worst one though
Superstar Saga GOAT
Bowsers Inside Story and Partners in Time are great as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom