• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Hey guys, how are you this mor-
WAIT.
IT'S 6:44 AM
WHAT AM I DOING HERE!?
You have three answers:
  1. You stayed awake all night and you're on the verge of crashing.
  2. You went to bed at 10 p.m. last night and so you your 8 hours of sleep from then has awoken you from your rested slumber.
  3. She selled sea shells on the sea shore at 6 a.m. and you just had to buy one.
Choose.​

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I noticed that I do consistently better in FG if I play every Character (except Jigglypuff) as if they were Little Mac.

The game IS specifically balanced around Omega Stages this time.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I just realized both Rosalina and Peach have a Thalmor alt- black and yellow.

Both confirmed to be Thalmor. Kill them like the rest. >:T

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
@Buttcheeks mcgee I wasn't saying the other franchises are underrepresented, but KI IS super-overrepresented.
And @ Frostwraith Frostwraith I don't think that's reasonable, yes they ported assets from 3DS games, could they port the assets? Yes, should they have ported the assets rather than making original models and animations which really can't be that expensive to begin with rather than reusing everyone and everything on a game that's supposed to be brimming with effort? Nope, it's not right.

I'd be OK with having less Smash Run enemies as a whole if 3/4 of them weren't Kid Icarus: Uprising enemies, Mario's a little justified, but Kid Icarus? Eugh...
The one in Smash 4 is his official VA for the Star Fox series. I'd rather have authenticity than nostalgia.
Yeah, if only Sakurai cared about being authentic with DK and Bowser.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
@Buttcheeks mcgee I wasn't saying the other franchises are underrepresented, but KI IS super-overrepresented.
And @ Frostwraith Frostwraith I don't think that's reasonable, yes they ported assets from 3DS games, could they port the assets? Yes, should they have ported the assets rather than making original models and animations which really can't be that expensive to begin with rather than reusing everyone and everything on a game that's supposed to be brimming with effort? Nope, it's not right.

I'd be OK with having less Smash Run enemies as a whole if 3/4 of them weren't Kid Icarus: Uprising enemies, Mario's a little justified, but Kid Icarus? Eugh...

Yeah, if only Sakurai cared about being authentic with DK and Bowser.
We don't need this again. Calm down. No offense, but that night was bad enough just lurking.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Okay, so now's I've got all of the custom moves for these characters.

Mega Man
Mario
Peach
Samus
Ganon
Fox
R.O.B

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
As funny as it is, Jigglypuff's Auto-KO on Shield Break does suck. :(
Yeah, I remember getting beaten two times in a row in 1-on-1 by this guy, but he got overconfident and tried to beat me with Jigglypuff. I just so happened to pick Lucina, and just broke his shield twice, winning the match. I figured he was pretty **ssed because for the next match he picked Lucario and just ExtremeSped of the screen twice! Most hilarious thing that ever happened to me with online Smash! :joyful:

That being said, I have seen a good Jigglypuff player once. Everyone was ignoring him until he started spamming Focus Rest over and over again and won the match. :rotfl:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
To be fair, the KI content in this game is ridiculous. As a huge DK fan, it's almost offensive to compare the two series'.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

I'd rather not have this argument right now...

Porting assets is a lot, I mean, A LOT faster than making new models. This isn't about effort. It's about time. Development time is limited. If they wanted to make the effort that you're implying, they'd need to have time they didn't have in the first place. This is the reality most people here on this forum aren't aware of or refuse to accept.

It was either imported enemies or nothing. Take your pick. I think gameplay and variety are more important than series representation. Regardless of where they come from, each enemy in Smash Run is unique in its behavior.

Porting assets from previous projects is a common practice among developers as a way to save time.

Making new models and assets requires a lot of people and money, and it also requires something far more important than those: TIME (I will repeat this word as many times as necessary). If this whole porting models from other games is telling us something is that the bulk of the development in the modelling department is going on the Wii U version.

I get the feeling that doing two Smash games at once was too ambitious, so they had to set priorities. And they went to the Wii U version.

(And actually, only around 1/6 of the enemies are from Kid Icarus. Still a significant lot, though.)

Keep in mind that I'm not defending Sakurai's decision to put a lot of KIU enemies in Smash Run, but then again, I don't mind them either. I'm neutral on this whole thing, to be honest.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
There actually is a respectable amount of Metroid enemies, especially considering how important it actually is to Nintendo compared to how important the Western fan base thinks it is.

I mean, not bashing Metroid of course, but it's pretty much a cult classic in the grand scale of things.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So, wow. After playing Smash Run just one more time with Pac-Man, I got all of his custom specials. Pretty happy to get it done with, not gonna lie. So I think that's my 8th character done. Not gonna lie, I'm making some good progress.

Now if only I can get Luigi's. His are taking a while.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Hey guys, what's goin-

okay, nevermind, I'll come back later!

*fwt fwt fwt fwt fwt fwt fwt fwt fwt ...*

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think they had more than just models and animations for the KIU enemies. They likely had some AI programming imported, considering they act almost exactly like the original game.

It wouldn't be outlandish to say that putting that whole lot of KIU enemies (and to an extent, the enemies returning from Brawl) actually took a lot less time than that spent on making the new enemies like the Pokémon, Zelda enemies or Metroid enemies (that also have reused models, but actually needed some programming and new animations).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Is there really a point in complaining now? We got the game. Smash Run is still a good mode overall. And the amount of re-used resources saved them time to likely add in more important things. Would you guys really want them to pull another Subspace again? Where one mode takes up all the dev time and we get one or two less characters out of it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely would want more Donkey Kong, and especially more Metroid content in Smash. Since I really like those series. But Smash Run isn't exactly the part I care too, too much. I'd defintely would like to see some stages or DLC characters though.

But, even then, still not the end of the world, y'know?

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
There actually is a respectable amount of Metroid enemies, especially considering how important it actually is to Nintendo compared to how important the Western fan base thinks it is.

I mean, not bashing Metroid of course, but it's pretty much a cult classic in the grand scale of things.
There IS actually a respectable amount of Metroid enemies, but they're justified, seeing as Metroid's one of Nintendo's most popular franchises on the west, not how popular we think it is. Metroid's very important to Nintendo, and I'm not sure that a game series with one game that has constantly been considered one of the greatest games of all time (Metroid Prime) can be called a 'cult' classic.

A Golden Chozo statue boss enemy that deflects projectiles wouldn't hurt, though, a-la Bonkers, Reaper, Clubberskull (Kid Icarus gets two boss enemies! What a surprise!), Bulborb...
I'd rather not have this argument right now...

Porting assets is a lot, I mean, A LOT faster than making new models. This isn't about effort. It's about time. Development time is limited. If they wanted to make the effort that you're implying, they'd need to have time they didn't have in the first place. This is the reality most people here on this forum aren't aware of or refuse to accept.

It was either imported enemies or nothing. Take your pick. I think gameplay and variety are more important than series representation. Regardless of where they come from, each enemy in Smash Run is unique in its behavior.

Porting assets from previous projects is a common practice among developers as a way to save time.

Making new models and assets requires a lot of people and money, and it also requires something far more important than those: TIME (I will repeat this word as many times as necessary). If this whole porting models from other games is telling us something is that the bulk of the development in the modelling department is going on the Wii U version.

I get the feeling that doing two Smash games at once was too ambitious, so they had to set priorities. And they went to the Wii U version.

(And actually, only around 1/6 of the enemies are from Kid Icarus. Still a significant lot, though.)

Keep in mind that I'm not defending Sakurai's decision to put a lot of KIU enemies in Smash Run, but then again, I don't mind them either. I'm neutral on this whole thing, to be honest.
It probably was too much and probably the reason a series' staple got cut (Ice Climbers), still, I would've preferred less Smash Run enemies as a whole rather than having the entire Forces Of Nature army...and it's not because I'm angry, but because the enemy count's limited, we would still get a lot of variety and MAYBE 1 or 2 KI enemies per-Smash Run, right now you always get like 4 Kid Icarus enemies, and it's honestly very jarring. It's like "Ugh, Sakurai, why?" whenever you see a KI enemy.

I also think that TOO MUCH was ported, I can understand fighter animations and moves, maybe even a lot of reused assets for stages, but good god, Nintendo's biggest franchises getting zero new content for stages? Yoshi got no new stage and zero new music, even though Yoshi's New Island came out. Wario got no new stage even though Wario's BOTH series have always been heavily prominent on handhelds, not to mention new music. DK got a past stage that wasn't even that well-liked to begin with and one new music piece, even though DKCR3D was a huge hit and Sunset Shore was practically begging to be made. Metroid got no new stage and not even a new piece of music, and even though Brinstar did appear on a handheld game, it's still a terrible copout. I understand that the Miis are important, but 3 Mii stages!?

What I want you to understand is that I'm not complaining about how they ported assets, I'm complaining about how much of the game is recycled, and how uncomfortable it feels to see past stages being showcased among new stages as a franchise's only representation like it's a perfectly normal thing.
Is there really a point in complaining now? We got the game. Smash Run is still a good mode overall. And the amount of re-used resources saved them time to likely add in more important things. Would you guys really want them to pull another Subspace again? Where one mode takes up all the dev time and we get one or two less characters out of it.

Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely would want more Donkey Kong, and especially more Metroid content in Smash. Since I really like those series. But Smash Run isn't exactly the part I care too, too much. I'd defintely would like to see some stages or DLC characters though.

But, even then, still not the end of the world, y'know?
Don't get me wrong, Smash Run's a great mode, but it's not only Smash Run, the entire game suffers from this problem and it's glaring, and blatant, yeah I understand development costs and time, but good god, I'm sure they could've tried just a little harder.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Funny, I got a random match while just screwing around with VS. mode. And both of my opponents were Link and Zelda. Though I was using Pac-Man, not Ganon or anything like that.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The only underrepresented series that deserves all the complaining about is Donkey Kong. It's baffling considering DKC Returns and DKC TF and I'm not even a DK fan.

Star Fox and Metroid are a bit more understandable considering those are series that have been in decline. This isn't Brawl where both series got a whole bunch of new games since the last Smash game.

From Melee to Brawl:
- Metroid got 6 new games (Metroid Prime trilogy + Fusion + Zero Mission + Prime Hunters) + 1 spin-off (Prime Pinball)
- Star Fox got 3 new games (Assault, Command, Adventures)

From Brawl to Smash 4:
- Metroid got 1 game and a controversial and poorly received game at that (Other M)
- Star Fox got 1 remake that wasn't very acclaimed (Star Fox 64 3D)

I can understand why Nintendo and Sakurai wanted to put less focus on those series.

A lot about the 3DS version feels rushed. Like I said, the development team might have not been big enough to handle two games at once. I'm getting a lot of "too ambitious" vibes from all of this.

@ D-idara D-idara I don't like the fact they re-used so many stages from previous Smash games. It feels odd.

The only way this could be rectified is through DLC, something that hackers have found evidence towards happening. And I have a feeling that the Wii U version won't have as much DLC as the 3DS will. A strong gut feeling I have.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I wonder what clones and enemies we'd be complaining about if Sakurai made Star Fox: Uprising instead, as was his original plan.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
There IS actually a respectable amount of Metroid enemies, but they're justified, seeing as Metroid's one of Nintendo's most popular franchises on the west, not how popular we think it is. Metroid's very important to Nintendo, and I'm not sure that a game series with one game that has constantly been considered one of the greatest games of all time (Metroid Prime) can be called a 'cult' classic.

A Golden Chozo statue boss enemy that deflects projectiles wouldn't hurt, though, a-la Bonkers, Reaper, Clubberskull (Kid Icarus gets two boss enemies! What a surprise!), Bulborb...

It probably was too much and probably the reason a series' staple got cut (Ice Climbers), still, I would've preferred less Smash Run enemies as a whole rather than having the entire Forces Of Nature army...and it's not because I'm angry, but because the enemy count's limited, we would still get a lot of variety and MAYBE 1 or 2 KI enemies per-Smash Run, right now you always get like 4 Kid Icarus enemies, and it's honestly very jarring. It's like "Ugh, Sakurai, why?" whenever you see a KI enemy.

I also think that TOO MUCH was ported, I can understand fighter animations and moves, maybe even a lot of reused assets for stages, but good god, Nintendo's biggest franchises getting zero new content for stages? Yoshi got no new stage and zero new music, even though Yoshi's New Island came out. Wario got no new stage even though Wario's BOTH series have always been heavily prominent on handhelds, not to mention new music. DK got a past stage that wasn't even that well-liked to begin with and one new music piece, even though DKCR3D was a huge hit and Sunset Shore was practically begging to be made. Metroid got no new stage and not even a new piece of music, and even though Brinstar did appear on a handheld game, it's still a terrible copout. I understand that the Miis are important, but 3 Mii stages!?

What I want you to understand is that I'm not complaining about how they ported assets, I'm complaining about how much of the game is recycled, and how uncomfortable it feels to see past stages being showcased among new stages as a franchise's only representation like it's a perfectly normal thing.

Don't get me wrong, Smash Run's a great mode, but it's not only Smash Run, the entire game suffers from this problem and it's glaring, and blatant, yeah I understand development costs and time, but good god, I'm sure they could've tried just a little harder.
Isnt Metroid not even popular in Japan anyway?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Metroid is one of the series that sells (much) better in the West than in Japan, but Japan isn't that big on both FPS and console games anyway.
Even the older Metroid games didn't sell that much in Japan either.

The Metroidvania genre has always been niche over there.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I actually had a sinking feeling that the 3DS/Wii U split was a bit too ambitious. As long as the Wii U version doesn't feel too compromised (outside of IC getting cut, and the transformations which can be seen as a good thing for many), I'm okay with it.

3DS version does feel kind of lacking though. Hoping DLC stages will fix some of it at least.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Ugh, after playing for a while, I notice I'm not playing as sharp anymore. Just lost twice in Classic 7.0 with Dark Pit because of dumb mistakes.
In other news, managed to get all custom moves of :4ganondorf: and :4lucina:.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Ugh, after playing for a while, I notice I'm not playing as sharp anymore. Just lost twice in Classic 7.0 with Dark Pit because of dumb mistakes.
It feels weird how you've removed your Winnie the pooh/TWEWY avatar. I didn't recognise you till I saw your name.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
Hello, thread. owo
Yeah. That happens. .-. Just gotta somehow get back into the groove once that does happen.

Anyone wanna 1v1 for a bit?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I actually had a sinking feeling that the 3DS/Wii U split was a bit too ambitious. As long as the Wii U version doesn't feel too compromised (outside of IC getting cut, and the transformations which can be seen as a good thing for many), I'm okay with it.

3DS version does feel kind of lacking though. Hoping DLC stages will fix some of it at least.
I agree that making two versions on the same development period was a bit ambitious. Perhaps, they bit more than they could chew in that regard.

Anyway, for a handheld title, Smash 3DS still is a quality game overall. It could have been better, sure, but for what seems to have had lesser focus, it's still pretty good.

Still hoping for 3DS stage DLC. The game is prepared to handle that, after all.

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
This is probably the only thing i can agree with D-idara with. The inclusion of Dark Pit as his own character while the likes of Alph and the Kooplings are alt costumes does scream a lot of bias from Sakurai.

I'm perfectly fine with the rest of the Kid Icarus content though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom