• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Welp. Happy 600th post me!
That's it, I'm going to bed. Y'know, when I think about it, my 500th post was yesterday wasn't it? That was fast. See ya later guys.
Good night!:)

D

Deleted member

That's it, I'm going to bed. Y'know, when I think about it, my 500th post was yesterday wasn't it? That was fast. See ya later guys.
100 posts in a day? Slow down foo'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miffa

The Money Man
NNID
DeanMiffa
I'm still wondering of Pokemon ORAS is worth the purchase since there are certain Pokemon that I'd like to transfer from my copy of Pokemon X (My baby Aegislash). Sure there's Pokemon Bank, but I'm wondering if it's possible to transfer the Pokemon between both gens easily without the help of Pokemon Bank.
Its possible since there the same Gen but it is the point of Pokemon Bank and Nintendo probably want people to pay the $5 subscription fee.

Morbi

Scavenger
Whenever I throw a Melon as Pac people never seem to be able to avoid it. Same goes with apples.
HEY GUYS HAVE YOU FIGURED OUT THAT I LIKE PAC-MAN? WELL I LIKE PAC-MAN
It is best if you use the apples against Dr. Mario. For some odd reason the game is coded to do 15% more knock-back when you use apples against him specifically. I also tested this with custom-moves to great success. The differences are extremely observable.

:4jigglypuff:

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Its possible since there the same Gen but it is the point of Pokemon Bank and Nintendo probably want people to pay the $5 subscription fee.
Might think about it, thanks for the advice. Black Friday will indeed be a dark day for Smash and Pokemon fans everywhere.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Well i have to agree on your big paragraph, but this isn;t the thing I'm finding annoying on being the majority unfortunately.

Since the day I touched the SSBm disc (long story made a 15 minutes movie in English class telling it), I view video games like ssbm and mostly nintendo big franchise as pure art that can be experience in so much ways at the same time. not only you have what a move has which is visual deisgn, audio design and philosophy in immersion but the one thing this form of art is having that you can you get there is the reaction.

By having to interect with the game, you're reacting to it as you experience it and sometimes, it might be done so that your reaction makes you reconsider it.

There's so much that was done in the past by nintendo that I'm today fascinated. You have no idea how mind blown I was when I learned the design details of termina field stage in melee, but the whole game was like that.

Today, I seem to see a lot more care in LOOKING good. For me, it's a huge problem that if I look at the 90's and GC generation to see that I culd consider that more deep in quality and very picky details was put in the games and the fact that they don't weaken trough time is amazing because it becomes a classic never forgotten like melee. Today, I'm just going to quote a thing Sakurai said on its view of oversequalisation...It's the best quote he said ever and I always told it to myself when I speculate about sequels and when I think about the work behind a game:

"It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed that a sequel was coming. Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some people think the sequel process happens naturally."
- Masahiro Sakurai

I started college a month ago and it didn't changed. I still see peope in my computing clases that just seems to think a sequel can be done, but they don't get that it's not automatic and having the illusion that it is is making you forget what happened in the past where one game could be good 20 years after. Heck, I still glitch hunt TTYD and this Saturday, it will be 10 years exactly to its NA release. Think about it, not loosing awesomeness after 10 years is fantastic.

losing after a year tough...it's just bland and I'm glad that since the WiiU was released, they seem to be back in the right direction of making both advanced and non regular player happy. I don';t use casuals because it can be missinterpreted very easily.

Btw, this is one of the reason why I have good hopes for a Paper mario game and btw, it's not me assuming sequels because there's a leak we have yet to know that could imply that and it's plausible. I'm just going to wait it happens and then react.
Well, Square Enix focused on visuals since Final Fantasy VII and that is considered by many to be a great game. With Final Fantasy X, they introduced voice acting which was revolutionary along with the ability to see moves and plan everything out, then XII tried a different combat system resembling MMOs and so did XIII with it's Paradigm Shift system. They're, especially XIII, aren't as loved or respected as VII, heck, people say nothing is as good as VII, but I blame nostalgia.

SE did try out things and failed, but at least they tried, however, they still focus on visuals way too much. With a system graphically limited, they make do and people saw how great Type-0 is. I fear the XV might suffer and not live up to expectations which it won't, but it might not be so since if you followed what happened with XIV, then you know a man poured blood, sweat, and tears to make XIV a good MMORPG rather than a pretty game with bad gameplay and strange concepts like a stamina system when everyone knows people play for hours on end.

Then you have developers like Kojima Productions, Platinum Games, Capcom when they don't do stupid things, Insomniac Games, and CD Projekt RED making games both beautiful and fun. Ground Zeroes was limited, but it definitely showed a streamlined system for stealth and open-world gameplay. Monster Hunter, Soul Sacrifice, and Dragon's Dogma are all games with deep combat systems that once exploited makes them quite easy and rhythmic. Heck, look back at all their games, all of them had gameplay that were deep, but stupid stuff made Lost Planet 3 another generic TPS, Street Fighter a game of expansions and DLC, and frustrating and enraging DMC fans. Ratchet & Clank games are all about mindless fun while looking like a Pixar film.

The issue I guess would be that video games are in a transitional phase of having traditional, fully interactive games and "video" games or interactive movies. Both have their merits since interactive movies are like those "pick your path" books and for some, it's worth playing and watching. Others want games like Devil May Cry 4, Ninja Gaiden, Contra, and etc. which also leads to the whole indie and AAA issue where indies tend to make old-school-based games like the recent Shovel Knight while AAA are all over, but are plagued with shooters which are the action movies that plague Hollywood. Still, some are like Oldboy, No Country for Old Men, Apocalypse Now, etc. that are action-y, but engaging like Spec Ops: The Line, inFAMOUS, or Sleeping Dogs.

Whoa, Final Fantasy XIII was bad because it wasn't an RPG and majority of the game play were cut-scenes. But hey, don't listen to me. I think that every main FF game that has come out after 6 was complete rubbish. I think the ATB is the worse thing to happen to RPGs.

I mean, I can't get upset at someone for liking the game. It had a decent storyline and looked great. I just wished I could have played the game more and that I wasn't mashing job classes. That's just my opinion...Square should make more games like TWEWY, where the innovation is great as well as the story line and graphics (I HATE Kingdom Hearts).

I've never met anyone who completely agreed with me on this matter. I still play the old Phantasy Star games and Shining Force games for fun. I don't like being the guy who is like 'all the new games suck' but developers are going to have to work harder if they want to keep my attention. Then again, my wallet <<<<<<<<<<<< the millions of people who buy the game's wallet.

Since I'm ranting, I remember when I would spend hours trying to figure out what the hell I was doing in a game. Now, I have tutorials that span for half of the game. The thing I like the most about smash is the difficulty on the special modes. This is the only fighting game (Save for PS4A/U...that score attack mode made me grow chest hair) where I have difficult task to complete. Need it be 9.0 or Intense difficulty on Boss Fight mode, I find myself frantically trying clear the Boss/stage.

Can we talk about the 9.0 difficulty? When I first saw Master hand change forms, I was at a complete lose of words.
Final Fantasy XIII stuff and the ATB system existed since Final Fantasy IV:
Yeah, XIII didn't become a game until Chapter 11 and by then, people gave up at Chapter 1. Also, unfortunately, only side quests make full use of the Paradigm System and they're not going to be playable unless you know what you're doing or you're lucky as hell. At that point, it'd be post-game and people would be fed up. The Paradigm System was the new revolutionary system where you could switch on the fly and exploit benefits of the system - switching to Sentinel was enough to lower damage - and there's a pattern where you could start with a full ATB every other switch. It was kind of like DMC4's style switching, except less interactive and more chaotic since you couldn't switch to all of them, but through set patterns.

XIII-2 opened the game up much more. Side quests appeared earlier and you could choose most of where you went and return for side quests or whatnot. Unfortunately, like XIII, only side quests and the end game made full use of the combat system. By then, people already didn't care for XIII and they probably didn't care for post-game. Also, choosing your stat gains was a poorly-designed and tedious system since you can royally screw over your characters. Monster leveling like weapon upgrading is a pain.

Then there's Lightning Returns and that basically did away with everything they tried with the combat system. Granted, it's more interactive, but not having party members kind of takes away everything the past games tried.

Which leads to Final Fantasy XV not having playable party members. Really, Square Enix? If you show a freaking tech demo: Label as so and tell the people what's changed immediately rather than saying nothing and having us be all confused! There's so many beta elements and concepts that's it's not funny. That trailer shown with actual gameplay for the PS3 way back then showed that Prompto was playable. Cool, but wait, it's a concept thrown out and now Noctis is the only playable character in battle or something. Great, poor communication. Does that mean you can only play as Noctis when you enter a battle meaning you can't switch out like in Kingdom Hearts where if you're in a battle, you can't switch abilities and stuff? Or does that mean he's the only playable character or that he's the "map" character?! Oh, and what about Cor? Is he a party member or just another concept?! Oh, and they just started working on those "summoned weapons" shown in the first teaser...

On 9.0, has anyone seen this yet?

Last edited:

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Just listened to Fox's new voice clips. The descriptions don't do his voice justice. He sounds like... like...

I'VE GOT IT!

The hideous lovechild of No Face and SpongeBob Squarepants.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Just listened to Fox's new voice clips. The descriptions don't do his voice justice. He sounds like... like...

I'VE GOT IT!

The hideous lovechild of No Face and SpongeBob Squarepants.
Be glad he doesn't sound like this.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You're really feeling Smashboards, if nothing else. :upsidedown:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Took a while, but I finally got all of Mega Man's custom Specials. I'm really liking the Tornado Hold and Danger Wrap. Plant Barrier and Leaf Shield are both OK. The Hyper Bombs and Metal Blades are cool too. Though I don't know if I'll use the Skull Barrier.

I've got a handful of Ganon's and Peach's. I still have a long way to go.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Well, Square Enix focused on visuals since Final Fantasy VII and that is considered by many to be a great game. With Final Fantasy X, they introduced voice acting which was revolutionary along with the ability to see moves and plan everything out, then XII tried a different combat system resembling MMOs and so did XIII with it's Paradigm Shift system. They're, especially XIII, aren't as loved or respected as VII, heck, people say nothing is as good as VII, but I blame nostalgia.

SE did try out things and failed, but at least they tried, however, they still focus on visuals way too much. With a system graphically limited, they make do and people saw how great Type-0 is. I fear the XV might suffer and not live up to expectations which it won't, but it might not be so since if you followed what happened with XIV, then you know a man poured blood, sweat, and tears to make XIV a good MMORPG rather than a pretty game with bad gameplay and strange concepts like a stamina system when everyone knows people play for hours on end.

Then you have developers like Kojima Productions, Platinum Games, Capcom when they don't do stupid things, Insomniac Games, and CD Projekt RED making games both beautiful and fun. Ground Zeroes was limited, but it definitely showed a streamlined system for stealth and open-world gameplay. Monster Hunter, Soul Sacrifice, and Dragon's Dogma are all games with deep combat systems that once exploited makes them quite easy and rhythmic. Heck, look back at all their games, all of them had gameplay that were deep, but stupid stuff made Lost Planet 3 another generic TPS, Street Fighter a game of expansions and DLC, and frustrating and enraging DMC fans. Ratchet & Clank games are all about mindless fun while looking like a Pixar film.

The issue I guess would be that video games are in a transitional phase of having traditional, fully interactive games and "video" games or interactive movies. Both have their merits since interactive movies are like those "pick your path" books and for some, it's worth playing and watching. Others want games like Devil May Cry 4, Ninja Gaiden, Contra, and etc. which also leads to the whole indie and AAA issue where indies tend to make old-school-based games like the recent Shovel Knight while AAA are all over, but are plagued with shooters which are the action movies that plague Hollywood. Still, some are like Oldboy, No Country for Old Men, Apocalypse Now, etc. that are action-y, but engaging like Spec Ops: The Line, inFAMOUS, or Sleeping Dogs.

Yeah, XIII didn't become a game until Chapter 11 and by then, people gave up at Chapter 1. Also, unfortunately, only side quests make full use of the Paradigm System and they're not going to be playable unless you know what you're doing or you're lucky as hell. At that point, it'd be post-game and people would be fed up. The Paradigm System was the new revolutionary system where you could switch on the fly and exploit benefits of the system - switching to Sentinel was enough to lower damage - and there's a pattern where you could start with a full ATB every other switch. It was kind of like DMC4's style switching, except less interactive and more chaotic since you couldn't switch to all of them, but through set patterns.

XIII-2 opened the game up much more. Side quests appeared earlier and you could choose most of where you went and return for side quests or whatnot. Unfortunately, like XIII, only side quests and the end game made full use of the combat system. By then, people already didn't care for XIII and they probably didn't care for post-game. Also, choosing your stat gains was a poorly-designed and tedious system since you can royally screw over your characters. Monster leveling like weapon upgrading is a pain.

Then there's Lightning Returns and that basically did away with everything they tried with the combat system. Granted, it's more interactive, but not having party members kind of takes away everything the past games tried.

Which leads to Final Fantasy XV not having playable party members. Really, Square Enix? If you show a freaking tech demo: Label as so and tell the people what's changed immediately rather than saying nothing and having us be all confused! There's so many beta elements and concepts that's it's not funny. That trailer shown with actual gameplay for the PS3 way back then showed that Prompto was playable. Cool, but wait, it's a concept thrown out and now Noctis is the only playable character in battle or something. Great, poor communication. Does that mean you can only play as Noctis when you enter a battle meaning you can't switch out like in Kingdom Hearts where if you're in a battle, you can't switch abilities and stuff? Or does that mean he's the only playable character or that he's the "map" character?! Oh, and what about Cor? Is he a party member or just another concept?! Oh, and they just started working on those "summoned weapons" shown in the first teaser...

What. So, did he win Classic or....
Also DAT NO DAMAGE :surprised:

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567

I really liked FF4-6 and I did not include it in the list of games I did not like. I said that ATB ruined RPGs but I still enjoyed 4-6.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I don't get the link here. What does chains have to do with squares?
Basic math: 2-Chainz was defeated 4 times. 2 squared is 4, therefore, 2-Chainz was squared. Now, if 2-Chainz was defeated 8 times, then he'd be cubed.; 2 x 2 x 2 = 8 or 2^3.

Last edited:

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
Why are custom moves so hard to get? I've been using the roulette exploit for classic mode but I rarely get moves.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why are custom moves so hard to get? I've been using the roulette exploit for classic mode but I rarely get moves.
Smash Run and Trophy Rush are both way more reliable for custom moves than Classic Mode or All-Star.
I got all of Lucina's custom moves within a few runs of both.

Although it still tends to be a bit luck based.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I still have to play through Classic and All-Star with every character, I already did that with Smash Run.

I need to stop putting it off but man is it a pain. At least Smash Run had variety.

I have to do 100 Man Smash with everyone too... Joy.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I still have to play through Classic and All-Star with every character, I already did that with Smash Run.

I need to stop putting it off but man is it a pain. At least Smash Run had variety.

I have to do 100 Man Smash with everyone too... Joy.
The only one bothering me is 100 Man Smash. It's not enjoyable in the least. I like single player stuff... but 100 Man Smash is a 'beat once with DK' kind of thing for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom