• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkaka3000

Smash Cadet
idc if bands "suck" like Nickleback , as long as they're a somewhat (lol) positive role model and don't always sing about sex, drugs, alcohol, DJ SAVE MY SOOOOUL!! an YOLO GIRL WE ONLY GOT TONITE!!! then I'm good.

My fave Canadian bands/singers: Marianas Trench, Arcade Fire, Rush, the Tragically Hip, Bryan Adams,Tom Cochrane and Red Rider, Sarah McLachlan, and a bunch of indie bands that you probably don't know of, and some others

although my fave type of music is J-pop tho :awesome:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
I live in Socal, we don't have weather here. We're also in the worst drought since the 1800's, so this heat + no rain = no bueno.

Nintymat

Smash Cadet
They can be "artists" and still suck. They just happen to propagate their suck on a bigger stage than most.

Smooth Criminal

Fine w/e, it just irked me that the original post had 'artists' in quotation marks as if Nickleback or Avril are in some way not as legitimate as other music artists simply because they 'suck'.

Music is subjective and no matter what your tastes are 2Chainz is as legitimate of a music artist as the Beatles were.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Don't get me wrong, undercutting a body's medium/talent out of mean-spirited arrogance is dumb. Same with the notion of "just because."

But if there's no humility involved in the other party, well...

(Not to mention, people dislike whatever they dislike.)

@ Nintymat Nintymat And I agree with that sentiment.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Exaggeratedhonesty

Smash Champion
Fine w/e, it just irked me that the original post had 'artists' in quotation marks as if Nickleback or Avril are in some way not as legitimate as other music artists simply because they 'suck'.

Music is subjective and no matter what your tastes are 2Chainz is as legitimate of a music artist as the Beatles were.
It's true, it's like how i'm the only System of a Down fan left in the world.

I'm so glad i don't go to an art school then. -_-

Then again it would be fun to troll all of them.
I glad I don't go to one either. My friend goes to one out here. I actually visited one in NorCal at one point. While there are some talented artists, you can cut the pretension with a knife.

I like drawing myself, but it's more meditative than anything. Sharpens the mind.

Exaggeratedhonesty

Smash Champion
I glad I don't go to one either. My friend goes to one out here. I actually visited one in NorCal at one point. While there are some talented artists, you can cut the pretension with a knife.

I like drawing myself, but it's more meditative than anything. Sharpens the mind.
I glad i'm not the only one, lol. Makes me kinda sad that people take art so seriously and competitively.

I also havn't drawn my self in months.. really should try it again sometime.

I glad i'm not the only one, lol. Makes me kinda sad that people take art so seriously and competitively.

I also havn't drawn my self in months.. really should try it again sometime.
Me and you are in the same boat. Used to draw all the time, now I don't even think much about it.

Last time I did, I was at peace; happy; tranquil. Now living where I live and being constantly distracted by financial issues, doubts in my education path and just irritated by the people whom I surround myself with I find myself not caring about art, despite my peers and professor trying to suade me into an art profession. I honestly just don't have the drive for it anymore.

Maybe that says something about my life? I dunno, but some change has to happen. I might just need my own space.

lol look at me rambling, I should be doing my accounting work (ugh...).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I should start drawing more, like legit draw. There are ideas floating in my head that I would like to see on a piece of paper or sketched on Paint.net or whatever.

I like to visualize my thoughts, for varies reasons like curiosity or humor.

Exaggeratedhonesty

Smash Champion
Me and you are in the same boat. Used to draw all the time, now I don't even think much about it.

Last time I did, I was at peace; happy; tranquil. Now living where I live and being constantly distracted by financial issues, doubts in my education path and just irritated by the people whom I surround myself with I find myself not caring about art, despite my peers and professor trying to suade me into an art profession. I honestly just don't have the drive for it anymore.

Maybe that says something about my life? I dunno, but some change has to happen. I might just need my own space.

lol look at me rambling, I should be doing my accounting work (ugh...).
Do what you used to do, just draw when you feel like it.

I still draw almost everyday but i don't really want it to be a professional career, i do it for fun, ^_^ besides, things become less fun when your forced to do it or need to do it.

Also oh god accounting, o_o that's terrifying... i couldn't do accounting my ADHD would tear me to shreds.

I should start drawing more, like legit draw. There are ideas floating in my head that I would like to see on a piece of paper or sketched on Paint.net or whatever.

I never knew you drew soul blazer. :o do you have a deviantart account?

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
There's nothing wrong with taking art to a competitive level. Next thing people are going to say gamers shouldn't take video games seriously. It's a potential career -- there will be ambitious people. And if you like art as a side thing/hobby, then the more power to you. That's kinda where I am.

That being said, I've applied to a visual art program at a uni years ago. But like, if I don't want to go into commercial art, what can the degree do? Help me to become an art teacher or work at a museum? Tbh, I wanted to go into art therapy, but there was only like one school 6 hours away that has the program. It's not in demand here, so I'm trying for a more broader program: child and youth work. Very flexible in regards to what paths you want to take.

Exaggeratedhonesty

Smash Champion
There's nothing wrong with taking art to a competitive level. Next thing people are going to say gamers shouldn't take video games seriously. It's a potential career -- there will be ambitious people. And if you like art as a side thing/hobby, then the more power to you. That's kinda where I am.

That being said, I've applied to a visual art program at a uni years ago. But like, if I don't want to go into commercial art, what can the degree do? Help me to become an art teacher or work at a museum? Tbh, I wanted to go into art therapy, but there was only like one school 6 hours away that has the program. It's not in demand here, so I'm trying for a more broader program: child and youth work. Very flexible in regards to what paths you want to take.
Lol Competitive as in trying to be better then other people or Competitive as in pushing your self to be better?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've always wanted to get better at drawing but I've never really taken the time to practice and improve on it. I don't think it's something that I would get too deep or involved with though.

That's really good.

I honestly thought about going into marketing and maybe doing commercial art and abstract, perhaps for advertising. Then taking that drive to work on things so want to.

Lately I've been thinking about interior design, architecture and clothes design, since I'm a bit if a fashion bug.

We'll see what happens. Gotta get that degree first, though.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Do eet! Art's a good way for self expression and a healthy way to vent. I like to visualize my thoughts too, especially doing school projects, I always want to squeeze in any drawings as much as I can. :laugh: Some teachers love this stuff, even if you're not the best drawer.

Oh, but I love painting, especially with gouache (like water colour, but more opaque and random!). Sculpting is nice too if like to do more hands-on things.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I want to start drawing better myself. But I've only made a little bit of progress this year. Granted, I'd say I'm reasonably better than when I was a kid. But I'm no pro, not yet. So I'm going to practice more and more. And I might get better, little by little.

I've got no problem with art school, I'd just want to learn how to get better, simple as that. You're always going to find prideful people in what they do, and some take it to an extreme. But you shouldn't that deter you from doing what you like to do. And chances are you're going to find at least a few cool people.

I see no problem with anyone trying to push themselves to do better, in any hobby or profession. But you shouldn't get competitive with others or compare yourself with other too much. It ain't healthy ladies and gentlemen.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Lol Competitive as in trying to be better then other people or Competitive as in pushing your self to be better?
I suppose both. If you're in a serious career, some people will strive to become better than others. Happens in many fields, although I'm more of a person to push myself and don't usually care about others (I say "usually" because I haven't came across any situations... yet. We say these things, but we will never know in the future).

Do eet! Art's a good way for self expression and a healthy way to vent. I like to visualize my thoughts too, especially doing school projects, I always want to squeeze in any drawings as much as I can. :laugh: Some teachers love this stuff, even if you're not the best drawer.

Oh, but I love painting, especially with gouache (like water colour, but more opaque and random!). Sculpting is nice too if like to do more hands-on things.
Yo I love me some charcoal.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So what's going on?

Anything interesting happened yesterday while I wasn't on?
Not much. Just some of us talking about drawing. I should get to practicing soon myself. Not too what exactly I want to draw.

Exaggeratedhonesty

Smash Champion
I suppose both. If you're in a serious career, some people will strive to become better than others. Happens in many fields, although I'm more of a person to push myself and don't usually care about others (I say "usually" because I haven't came across any situations... yet. We say these things, but we will never know in the future).
You wouldn't happen to have a deviantart account?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
That's really good.

I honestly thought about going into marketing and maybe doing commercial art and abstract, perhaps for advertising. Then taking that drive to work on things so want to.

Lately I've been thinking about interior design, architecture and clothes design, since I'm a bit if a fashion bug.

We'll see what happens. Gotta get that degree first, though.
I know a friend in commercial art, graphic design. She's having trouble with finding a job in that field, but I think she just needs more time and experience to build up a good resume.

Architecture is very interesting. Incorporates a lot of math skills too. My mother has a friend in Vermont who's an architect. I saw some of his sketches before (he's a good artist) and those building blueprints are crazy man lol.

Good luck though.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Me and drawing, or just art in general in all honestly, is a recipe for disaster. I've tried to learn before and it just never went well.

I've been interested in GFX for a while now, like the thing in my sig, but that requires downloads and stuff so I don't currently have the capacity to try and learn about it more. :L

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Maybe one day I can get one of those drawing tablet things. That'd be awesome.

I never took much interest in painting thought. I just want to get better with a pencil and a piece of paper. And an eraser too of course.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I draw. Though a lot less frequently than I did.
I like stylized art way more than realistic art, so I stopped trying to achieve the latter a long time ago.

I sort of intentionally go for an unprofessional-quasi-anime-cartoony look to my drawings.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
You wouldn't happen to have a deviantart account?
I used too lol. I either need to recover it (forgot everything) or make a new one. I'm starting to get into digital art, which I totally suck at. So I may end up uploading some things there.... uh, I've got to leave soon, but if I ever sort out this problem, I'll give you mine if you'd like.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I draw. Though a lot less frequently than I did.
I like stylized art way more than realistic art, so I stopped trying to achieve the latter a long time ago.

I sort of intentionally go for an unprofessional-quasi-anime-cartoony look to my drawings.
I've never been a fan of doing realistic art either. I don't know why, but I usually gravitate towards cartoony styles.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Ooh, art discussion.

Nothing I've drawn lately is appropriate for the boards, however.

Besides random concepts that I wish I could turn into games, anyway.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Well, as everyone seems to be talking about drawing, here's a chibi Spider-Man 2099 I made a year ago for my dA account:

As a kid I always liked to draw, but as you can see while I consider myself good is nothing near as talented people.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I was very lucky and got a 19 inch monitor for 10$.

This helps me so much because I have sight issues for small elements and my pc screen is 15 inches. The resolution is almost the same tough.

I got it because a staff at my college wanted to get rid of those and so, very low prices.

I'm so happy to get that much for that price :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom