• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Social Thread 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Still, even an idiot should know that the friends they've known since forever, and won't do evil, most likely aren't evil.
Well, you say that, and then I suddenly have flashback to Luffy fighting Zoro at the beggining of the Alabasta Arc.

In the original canon you could always also pin it on Knuckles simply not liking Sonic, but in Boom I guess they just felt like making him completely out of it.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Imagine a world where Nintendo as been bought by Sega and we would had a "Mario Boom".

Yeah, good thing we're not in this universe.

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader
Actually, what is Knuckles's backstory in Boom even? Hes just Sonic's buddy I guess? Kinda a downgrade after being the protector of the Master Emerald, living his whole life on an isolated sky island as the last of his kind. Then again, Shadow also only exists in Boom to be "the rival" of the main character and not much else (and then theres Metal Sonic who is also that but at least that one has the background of being Eggman's robot taken care of)

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Actually, what is Knuckles's backstory in Boom even? Hes just Sonic's buddy I guess? Kinda a downgrade after being the protector of the Master Emerald, living his whole life on an isolated sky island as the last of his kind. Then again, Shadow also only exists in Boom to be "the rival" of the main character and not much else (and then theres Metal Sonic who is also that but at least that one has the background of being Eggman's robot taken care of)
There's no background for any character in this series. They just...exist. Forget about all the backstory they put in the past, in Sonic Boom, everyone is just there for an unknown reason.

Knuckles the Knuckles

NNID
Dromader
There's no background for any character in this series. They just...exist. Forget about all the backstory they put in the past, in Sonic Boom, everyone is just there for an unknown reason.
Its funny because for a regular Sonic show, this could have worked really good: just have Sonic & Friends have wacky adventures. But this is a new continuity and the game that was supposed to give background information on the characters, failed to do so, so now were left with nothing and its kinda jarring.

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Its funny because for a regular Sonic show, this could have worked really good: just have Sonic & Friends have wacky adventures. But this is a new continuity and the game that was supposed to give background information on the characters, failed to do so, so now were left with nothing and its kinda jarring.
The comics gives some backstory, that's what I've heard. Like Knuckles is one of the biggest idiot of the world who couldn't even ride a trike or count bananas before. I'm not joking :

darthnazgul

Smash Cadet
NNID
darthnzgul
My copy has finally arrived! And now. . . I have to download the update.

Maybe the backstory will be revealed slowly, ala Adventure Time. Then again, that takes a lot of planning.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Damn it, I've forgot to record Sonic Boom again. Good thing there's a YouTube channel where I can see them without missing out. Sticks is arguably the best character in the show so far.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
How do you unlock the alt. trophies for the characters?
Normal ones are on Classic, Final Smashes are on All-Star, but what about the alt. ones?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
It's that bad? The trailer didn't make it look that awful.
Well, they made many mechanics more complicated they actually needed to. Here's are some of my gruffs:

- For catching monsters, you have to have the catching tool that's the same type as the monster (otherwise you can't use it)
- To catch it, you have to spam the A buttom (you get to see the % chance while it happens) however, it fails a lot as I can't really get high % (unless I'm doing something wrong)
- Most evolutions are just recolors
- When fighting some boss monsters, chances are you need to grind a lot prior to that otherwise you'll get slaughtered and can't continue the story
- Movement on the overworld is TERRIBLY done: Feels sloppy and unresponsive a good bit of the time (regardless of D-Pad or Circle pad)
- Item menu is a bit slow when scrolling.
- That photo taking you see in the trailer boosts your monster (not a lot though but I'd recommend it). Wears off when the monster faint and have to reapply it.
-Some moves have to have a mechanic where you have to press the A button at the right time (shown as an arrow circling around a circle with a rather small sweet spot). For chain attacks, you have to keep on doing this.

There could be more but I haven't picked up the game for a while to remember.

One thing I find interesting about this game is there's an item than can change the gender of your monster (though pretty much only needed for breeding). I like the sprite work too.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
So is it possible to fight an amiibo without custom stats? Miiverse won't give me a straight answer.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So is it possible to fight an amiibo without custom stats? Miiverse won't give me a straight answer.
I've been hearing that you can't.

Well, they made many mechanics more complicated they actually needed to. Here's are some of my gruffs:

- For catching monsters, you have to have the catching tool that's the same type as the monster (otherwise you can't use it)
- To catch it, you have to spam the A buttom (you get to see the % chance while it happens) however, it fails a lot as I can't really get high % (unless I'm doing something wrong)
- Most evolutions are just recolors
- When fighting some boss monsters, chances are you need to grind a lot prior to that otherwise you'll get slaughtered and can't continue the story
- Movement on the overworld is TERRIBLY done: Feels sloppy and unresponsive a good bit of the time (regardless of D-Pad or Circle pad)
- Item menu is a bit slow when scrolling.
- That photo taking you see in the trailer boosts your monster (not a lot though but I'd recommend it). Wears off when the monster faint and have to reapply it.
-Some moves have to have a mechanic where you have to press the A button at the right time (shown as an arrow circling around a circle with a rather small sweet spot). For chain attacks, you have to keep on doing this.

There could be more but I haven't picked up the game for a while to remember.

One thing I find interesting about this game is there's an item than can change the gender of your monster (though pretty much only needed for breeding). I like the sprite work too.
So essentially it's a poor man's Pokemon. Good to know.

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
DAMNIT
I JUST 0-TO-DEATH'D A JAPANESE SHULK PLAYER AS DEDEDE
AND FORGOT TO SAVE THE REPLAY
:(:(:(:(:(

Professor Pumpkaboo