• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social 6.0 - 『ONE YEAR OF SOCIAL 6.0!』

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I never played a CoD game, period. It sometimes does get tiring hearing about it, though.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Even if I liked FPS games, I wouldn't support a series that crank out yealy "sequels".

$60 a year for basically the same game isn't worth my time or money.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Even if I liked FPS games, I wouldn't support a series that crank out yealy "sequels".

Ubisoft is starting to do this with Assassin's Creed and are releasing one every year for the next 10 years.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584

BUT WHAT WOULD WE DO IF THERE WASN'T A NEW IDENTICAL FIFA EVERY YEAR!?

WHAT WOULD WE DO?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I played a little of COD:BO 2 with some person i known.
uof2HB3.gif

And this was not fun at all.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
CoD in general has never been all that exciting for me either. There's nothing special about it all.

:094:
I don't play COD. I find zero enjoyment in it.
Say the same thing as everyone here.

We know you think the same.
Actually, it's mechanically pretty unique.
No other modern FPS runs on a re-re-re-re-retooled and expanded version of the Quake 3 Arena engine that keeps getting updated year over year and has such fundamental flaws as tying all interaction calculations to the Frames Per Second.
This generates such awesome effects as some weapons being worthless because they fire way below their normal rate of fire, because they can only fire every few frames due to the rounding mechanics involved. :troll:
Did I mention they usually have bad balance? :3

Complaints aside, they actually do add / remove / change things up significantly each iteration--it's just that it often looks the same. Few other FPS games share these things though.
For example, the usual amount of bullets to kill was 2-3 on automatics in the games with Stopping Power perk (two), and has since been changed to different ranges, usually in 3-7, in subsequent iterations. Nearly every one was different in this regard. Battlefield, for example, weapon BTK ranges from 4-7 in every iteration (besides Bad Company 2), and they have an accuracy mechanic called "Cone of Fire" that's bereft from CoD (thank gosh, CoF is a horrible mechanic from the bygone days when they needed a substitute for recoil). Furthermore, BF guns have velocity and drop, whereas CoD guns are hitscan, which is appropriate considering the size of their maps are wildly different.

Accuracy mechanics, while often the same with a "centerspeed" and random walk, have differed greatly in orders of magnitude, and other odd things like maximal / minimal limits and sway in different games.
Jumping from Modern Warfare 2 (the unequivocally best designed and most balanced CoD game ever maybe besides One Man Army Danger Close Grenade Launchers, things that were removed / brought back in some ways in subsequent iterations, on objective game modes) to Black Ops 1, the story was leagues different, I'd say leagues better from a writing and engagement perspective. Zambies obviously, a complete weapon rebalance overhaul with a few key weapons breaking class norms (Enfield having SMG ADS time, Scorpion with extreme damage and extreme falloff, SPAS-12 with silencer which didn't reduce range for some odd reason, M60 as the only 2 BTK automatic in the game). A complete rebalancing and remixing of perks and tactical / lethal equipment (Frags actually useful, cool motion sensors and Nova Gas and Willy Petes). Buying economy + unlock system, gambling game modes, etc.. Overall, the effect and variety of perks were neat, and the 2nd perk class was made more competitive with the absence of Stopping Power (though MW2 got around this in a variety of ways, notably having certain weapons that didn't benefit from SP in certain situations, making them ripe for the non SP niches). Camping was severely nerfed, too, with 'Ghost' only activating while moving fast enough, and a base level of delay (and 'latency compensation') built in so engagements benefitted whoever came around a corner last.

The weapon balance in BO1 was doo doo, though. The FAMAS was literally the only viable gun in the game and outclassed literally everything.
Also shotguns are doo doo by design in all CoD games except MW2, where they were secondary weapons instead. MW2 actually had viable LMG and sniper classes too, absent in the alternating assault-rifle or SMG-dominated later iterations with a few niches for others here or there.
Quite a few of the later versions have actually had usable pistols, though!
Lastly, there's often a lot of really stupid attachment oversights on completely unused weapons. Stuff like Thermal scope RPKs massively decreasing centerspeed, or extended mags on some niche gun increasing the clip size to an inordinate amount, or Holographic sight on M16 increasing centerspeed / increasing minimum damage on the FAL. Silly stuff like that.

That's just the transition between two games, probably the most extreme, and there's a lot unlisted here. If you look at the things objectively and in depth, you'll see quickly that the "they don't change anything," is simply myth.
Heck, in the new one, I forget what it's called, they're putting in Titanfall-like parkour movement, a huge difference, and adding another layer onto class / perk system that gives people abilities like 'teleport back in time' and stuff.
No, I don't play CoD any more.
Check this stuff out, though, it's a treasure trove of all the mechanics involved: http://denkirson.proboards.com/board/2/hey-den
BUT WHAT WOULD WE DO IF THERE WASN'T A NEW IDENTICAL FIFA EVERY YEAR!?

WHAT WOULD WE DO?
You? Probably make fun of FIFA less.

There's people that appreciate the products. Regardless of the fact that only minor improvements are usually made, what they do is often appreciated.
No, I don't play FIFA either.

My point is that everyone has their taste, and these things have a market. To pass off that entire market or act all superior is a bit silly.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Actually, it's mechanically pretty unique.
No other modern FPS runs on a re-re-re-re-retooled and expanded version of the Quake 3 Arena engine that keeps getting updated year over year and has such fundamental flaws as tying all interaction calculations to the Frames Per Second.
This generates such awesome effects as some weapons being worthless because they fire way below their normal rate of fire, because they can only fire every few frames due to the rounding mechanics involved. :troll:
Did I mention they usually have bad balance? :3

Complaints aside, they actually do add / remove / change things up significantly each iteration--it's just that it often looks the same. Few other FPS games share these things though.
For example, the usual amount of bullets to kill was 2-3 on automatics in the games with Stopping Power perk (two), and has since been changed to different ranges, usually in 3-7, in subsequent iterations. Nearly every one was different in this regard. Battlefield, for example, weapon BTK ranges from 4-7 in every iteration (besides Bad Company 2), and they have an accuracy mechanic called "Cone of Fire" that's bereft from CoD (thank gosh, CoF is a horrible mechanic from the bygone days when they needed a substitute for recoil). Furthermore, BF guns have velocity and drop, whereas CoD guns are hitscan, which is appropriate considering the size of their maps are wildly different.

Accuracy mechanics, while often the same with a "centerspeed" and random walk, have differed greatly in orders of magnitude, and other odd things like maximal / minimal limits and sway in different games.
Jumping from Modern Warfare 2 (the unequivocally best designed and most balanced CoD game ever maybe besides One Man Army Danger Close Grenade Launchers, things that were removed / brought back in some ways in subsequent iterations, on objective game modes) to Black Ops 1, the story was leagues different, I'd say leagues better from a writing and engagement perspective. Zambies obviously, a complete weapon rebalance overhaul with a few key weapons breaking class norms (Enfield having SMG ADS time, Scorpion with extreme damage and extreme falloff, SPAS-12 with silencer which didn't reduce range for some odd reason, M60 as the only 2 BTK automatic in the game). A complete rebalancing and remixing of perks and tactical / lethal equipment (Frags actually useful, cool motion sensors and Nova Gas and Willy Petes). Buying economy + unlock system, gambling game modes, etc.. Overall, the effect and variety of perks were neat, and the 2nd perk class was made more competitive with the absence of Stopping Power (though MW2 got around this in a variety of ways, notably having certain weapons that didn't benefit from SP in certain situations, making them ripe for the non SP niches). Camping was severely nerfed, too, with 'Ghost' only activating while moving fast enough, and a base level of delay (and 'latency compensation') built in so engagements benefitted whoever came around a corner last.

The weapon balance in BO1 was doo doo, though. The FAMAS was literally the only viable gun in the game and outclassed literally everything.
Also shotguns are doo doo by design in all CoD games except MW2, where they were secondary weapons instead. MW2 actually had viable LMG and sniper classes too, absent in the alternating assault-rifle or SMG-dominated later iterations with a few niches for others here or there.
Quite a few of the later versions have actually had usable pistols, though!
Lastly, there's often a lot of really stupid attachment oversights on completely unused weapons. Stuff like Thermal scope RPKs massively decreasing centerspeed, or extended mags on some niche gun increasing the clip size to an inordinate amount, or Holographic sight on M16 increasing centerspeed / increasing minimum damage on the FAL. Silly stuff like that.

That's just the transition between two games, probably the most extreme, and there's a lot unlisted here. If you look at the things objectively and in depth, you'll see quickly that the "they don't change anything," is simply myth.
Heck, in the new one, I forget what it's called, they're putting in Titanfall-like parkour movement, a huge difference, and adding another layer onto class / perk system that gives people abilities like 'teleport back in time' and stuff.
No, I don't play CoD any more.
Check this stuff out, though, it's a treasure trove of all the mechanics involved: http://denkirson.proboards.com/board/2/hey-den
You? Probably make fun of FIFA less.

There's people that appreciate the products. Regardless of the fact that only minor improvements are usually made, what they do is often appreciated.
No, I don't play FIFA either.

My point is that everyone has their taste, and these things have a market. To pass off that entire market or act all superior is a bit silly.
Yeah... no.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Yeah... no.
ur just a h8r mang

Edit: like I said, everyone has their taste. You don't find any enjoyment in it, and that's fine.
I wasn't targeting anyone in particular, just generally quoting relevant people and giving my thoughts on the topic.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Well guys, i'm going to bed now. I haven't do all the thing i wanted this weekend. But i have atleast finish my Temporal Tower level. (Even tough i can't upload it. >: ( )
So yeah, on those word. Have a good time here and see you tomorrow! Good night! :)

D

Deleted member

Huh, were Premiums somehow responsible for inactivity?

Oh yeah I forgot, there's that secret Premium-only subforum
The Disco Room's rules are much more relaxed than on here. As a result, I think most users from this thread would prefer to go there.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
The Disco Room's rules are much more relaxed than on here. As a result, I think most users from this thread would prefer to go there.
Yeah, I love the ability to double post and silliness like that.

But I think it's stupid that a thread like this doesn't have relaxed rules too.
TBH it really should. Double posting is a bad policy in the first place.
Editing doesn't let tagging work, and substantial content being added to edited posts is often missed.
Who the heck do I tag to talk to about this? FalKoopa FalKoopa pls get the admins for me

Last edited:

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Yeah, I love the ability to double post and silliness like that.
Woah, really?
When I was thinking of "relaxed rules" I was thinking image-only posts and stuff like that, but double posts seem a bit extreme. Dunno if that's a weird way to look at it or not haha.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Woah, really?
When I was thinking of "relaxed rules" I was thinking image-only posts and stuff like that, but double posts seem a bit extreme. Dunno if that's a weird way to look at it or not haha.
It's image only posts too.
Literally
There are threads dedicated to just posting images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom