• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Smash 4 Social 6.0 - 『ONE YEAR OF SOCIAL 6.0!』

Status
Not open for further replies.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Man, I haven't been around for days.... Not even just this thread, SmashBoards in general!

The more I hear about Undertale, the more I want to play it... But that would require having a computer that can actually run Steam games, getting a Steam account, getting funds for said Steam account....
Ugh, why can't everything just come out on Nintendo consoles?!? :hulk:

(Also 700 posts)

Last edited:

Bluehaven

Smash Lurker
3DS FC
1177-9167-4164
Man, I haven't been around for days.... Not even just this thread, SmashBoards in general!

The more I hear about Undertale, the more I want to play it... But that would require having a computer that can actually run Steam games, getting a Steam account, getting funds for said Steam account....
It's a really wonderful game from the walkthroughs I've seen. :) I'm not buying it though because I suck at RPGs. It's just not my style. :p But I have to admit that the game has a certain charm to it.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I was messing around in For Glory 3DS yesterday, playing Bowser Jr. (Who is by no means my main, but I like using him), and I was getting destroyed by a Sonic main. He knocked me below the stage, and decided to chase me down to go for the disrespect.

At that exact moment, I use Up-B, the Clown Car explodes, he slams up against the stage, misses the tech, and rebounds past the blast zone, whereas I am completely safe. When he comes back, he just sits there for a second, confused at what just happened.

I was laughing hysterically. :smirk:

D

Deleted member

This is a potential new signature I made last week. What do you guys think? How can I make it better?
Looks good, although Kirby's dark pink lineart might be out of place in comparison with the rest.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Undertale has very very low requirements.
You also don't actually even need steam. You can buy it directly from the website.
Even still, steam is a free service after all, and you can buy giftcards to add funds in a lot of places. (It's how I add funds, since I don't have a credit card. It works alright, I guess.)

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
I forgot to mention the eyes are also colored dark pink. But you're welcome.
Yeah, I was gonna change that too since it was intended to match his outline. Once again, I really appreciate your assistance. :grin:
So here's the final version:
Unless, there's any other issues, I shall begin the process of resizing the signature.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584

(Also 700 posts)
Based on Undertale's visuals I'm pretty sure it can run on your toaster.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I was gonna change that too since it was intended to match his outline. Once again, I really appreciate your assistance. :grin:
So here's the final version:
Unless, there's any other issues, I shall begin the process of resizing the signature.
Now you're good to go. Kirby and the Sonic semi-silhouette (is that even a word?) lack shadows compared to the rest, but I think it's still ready.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Now you're good to go. Kirby and the Sonic semi-silhouette (is that even a word?) lack shadows compared to the rest, but I think it's still ready.
Yeah, I was actually trying to do stuff with that earlier. But the problem is that Kirbeh and Sanic lack depth in these icons, so I wasn't sure where to add shadows and how they could improve upon these designs.
Though now that I look at it again, I could probably give Kirby an inner shadow similar to that of Jigglypuff. But for Sonic, what could I do?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
So I'm curious. What did you guys do during the time there was crashboards going on?
Illinois state goverment.

"The Thompson Center struggle is symbolic only and political stunts as usual. Gov't officials want only to give the appearance of downsizing. But this cynicism is irrelevant. It would be well to talk, instead, about how deficient governments inherently are at dealing with these sorts of things.

In a way, the construction of the center was ahead of its time. The price of window panes, that were both curved and insulated, was prohibitively expensive. Now, a private firm likely would've opted for a more economical design or waited for the price to fall. Government, on the other hand, is insulated from market forces and will throw due caution to the wind more often. It's not that there's the wrong people in charge, moreso it is that the incentives of the system are not conducive to the rise of the right people getting in charge.

What are these market forces? This is the Austrian Theory of the Business Cycle. When the information signals of the free market are obscured in some way, there will be malinvestment. What are these information signals that tell enterprising people what they probably should or shouldn't do? One such signal is the interest rate. Interest rates, properly understood, are where the supply and demand for time-bound risk intersect. When interest rates are set artificially low (mind, nobody has any way of knowing what the market would set it at, as it arises from the interactions and preferences of countless individuals, so entrepreneurs, being non-omniscient, wouldn't be able to just ignore the artificial rate and go with what rate the market would set it at), such as by the Federal Reserve, there inevitably results a surplus of cheap capital. What this means is that entrepreneurs would take on more debt and risk than they otherwise normally would have. Thus, the boom.

Mistakes happen in the free markets too, (see Apple trying to make the tablet ahead of its time with the Messagepad Newton,) but the key difference is that artificially low interest rates prop up the malivestments for far longer since the market isn't allowed to react normally and signal to entrepreneurs via the interest rate they've done something wrong. What often happens is that industries that are much farther away from fruition in their production processes, stuff like real estate (See, Mark Thornton's work on “The Skyscraper Curse”) and capital-intensive manufacturing, become the most bloated. The boom, the bubble, expands. Inevitably the market signals hard enough in other ways (most often “this isn't turning a profit,”) that someone takes notice and goes “Oh, we've made a terrible mistake.” Thus, there is a bust, a market correction.

Right now, they're dealing with the fallout of a bust. The Thompson Center has not realized the demand that was expected, and is thus a loss. Given government's inherent difficulty with assessing market signals due to its incentive structures there is no hope for any improvement that will make it profitable beyond a one-in-a-million fluke. End it."

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I was actually trying to do stuff with that earlier. But the problem is that Kirbeh and Sanic lack depth in these icons, so I wasn't sure where to add shadows and how they could improve upon these designs.
Though now that I look at it again, I could probably give Kirby an inner shadow similar to that of Jigglypuff. But for Sonic, what could I do?
Sorry for the late reply. Maybe you could just darken his color or something, seeing as he's behind Pikachu's head.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

"My name's not Zippy! The Thompson Center struggle is symbolic only and political stunts as usual. Gov't officials want only to give the appearance of downsizing. But this cynicism is irrelevant. It would be well to talk, instead, about how deficient governments inherently are at dealing with these sorts of things.

In a way, the construction of the center was ahead of its time. The price of window panes, that were both curved and insulated, was prohibitively expensive. Now, a private firm likely would've opted for a more economical design or waited for the price to fall. Government, on the other hand, is insulated from market forces and will throw due caution to the wind more often. It's not that there's the wrong people in charge, moreso it is that the incentives of the system are not conducive to the rise of the right people getting in charge.

What are these market forces? This is the Austrian Theory of the Business Cycle. When the information signals of the free market are obscured in some way, there will be malinvestment. What are these information signals that tell enterprising people what they probably should or shouldn't do? One such signal is the interest rate. Interest rates, properly understood, are where the supply and demand for time-bound risk intersect. When interest rates are set artificially low (mind, nobody has any way of knowing what the market would set it at, as it arises from the interactions and preferences of countless individuals, so entrepreneurs, being non-omniscient, wouldn't be able to just ignore the artificial rate and go with what rate the market would set it at), such as by the Federal Reserve, there inevitably results a surplus of cheap capital. What this means is that entrepreneurs would take on more debt and risk than they otherwise normally would have. Thus, the boom.

Mistakes happen in the free markets too, (see Apple trying to make the tablet ahead of its time with the Messagepad Newton,) but the key difference is that artificially low interest rates prop up the malivestments for far longer since the market isn't allowed to react normally and signal to entrepreneurs via the interest rate they've done something wrong. What often happens is that industries that are much farther away from fruition in their production processes, stuff like real estate (See, Mark Thornton's work on “The Skyscraper Curse”) and capital-intensive manufacturing, become the most bloated. The boom, the bubble, expands. Inevitably the market signals hard enough in other ways (most often “this isn't turning a profit,”) that someone takes notice and goes “Oh, we've made a terrible mistake.” Thus, there is a bust, a market correction.

Right now, they're dealing with the fallout of a bust. The Thompson Center has not realized the demand that was expected, and is thus a loss. Given government's inherent difficulty with assessing market signals due to its incentive structures there is no hope for any improvement that will make it profitable beyond a one-in-a-million fluke. End it."
I'm sorry, but I totally got lost after you said "My name's not Zippy!"

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
It was at this moment, MonK4, Equestrian Flyer, and Flight realized that they did not understand one another.

They all escaped into the shadows upon this interaction.

D

Deleted member

It was at this moment, MonK4, Equestrian Flyer, and Flight realized that they did not understand one another.

They all escaped into the shadows upon this interaction.
And then I began to lurk... for about five minutes.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Most likely it was an MLP reference that has to do with Rainbow Dash and being fast and calling people nicknames and stuff.

Also we shouldn't use disparaging nicknames tbh because "say not to your brother raqua lest u be liable to the sanhedron" or something like that imo.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero

"The Thompson Center struggle is symbolic only and political stunts as usual. Gov't officials want only to give the appearance of downsizing. But this cynicism is irrelevant. It would be well to talk, instead, about how deficient governments inherently are at dealing with these sorts of things.

In a way, the construction of the center was ahead of its time. The price of window panes, that were both curved and insulated, was prohibitively expensive. Now, a private firm likely would've opted for a more economical design or waited for the price to fall. Government, on the other hand, is insulated from market forces and will throw due caution to the wind more often.
This, this is heavily flawed. Cost is an important factor when designing, even for the government. As a future engineer, I've already seen numerous presentations for government projects from my professors where cost is one of the most important considerations (well, that and safety obviously). Just because the government can theoretically print all the money it wants does not mean that it will spend any sum for a given project.
It's not that there's the wrong people in charge, moreso it is that the incentives of the system are not conducive to the rise of the right people getting in charge.
In addition, when considering incentives, individual benefits do not necessarily overtake collective benefits. There have been many strategies demonstrated (such as "tit for tat") where collective efforts are taken instead of individual benefits. People aren't always necessarily selfish as this sentence might suggest.

The Austrian Theory of the Business Cycle is heavily flawed as well. For example, good entrepreneurs practice good foresight, meaning that they know that the altered interest rates will not last forever. Other problems are outlined in the works of Bryan Caplan and Gottfried von Haberler, among many others. I recommend Caplan's works especially. They are quite interesting.

Since I do not know all of the details about this project, I can only say this: Government officials can hire people to assess the market. Its incentive structures do not have to be a significant obstruction for its projects. In addition, if these really were "one-in-a-million flukes", then many public facilities that are in use today would not exist or operate correctly. The flaw in these theoretical claims come from the empirical evidence that is readily available for viewing. Too much weight is put into these so-called "incentive structures" that promote selfishness when logical solutions promote cooperation over individual gain.

On a side note, I had written a response to the last discussion we had, but I do not have the text file on this laptop I'm currently using. I'll respond to that this weekend. I could always write it again, but that would take more than 5 minutes to write. And I don't want to spend more than that amount of time on any given post. Sorry for the delay though. When I first started writing my reply, first my laptop gave up on me, and then midterms came, so I've been pretty busy.

Most likely it was an MLP reference that has to do with Rainbow Dash and being fast and calling people nicknames and stuff.
Nope. I can de-confirm this.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

Also we shouldn't use disparaging nicknames tbh because "say not to your brother raqua lest u be liable to the sanhedron" or something like that imo.
MLP reference... Very clever of you! But sadly, it's not MLP this time.

Just watch this!

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
It's a really wonderful game from the walkthroughs I've seen. :) I'm not buying it though because I suck at RPGs. It's just not my style. :p But I have to admit that the game has a certain charm to it.
Honestly at this point I think half the people in the Undertale fandom haven't even played Undertale

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I actually want to play the game first before I can truly indulge into the madness.

With my spending habits, that might be around my next birthday...

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
At least I've done the smart thing and avoided spoilers. All I know about the game is the contents of the Steam page and "That's the trash can. You can visit it ANYTIME".

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Before we start, I should clarify and distinguish what I mean by "government." I'm referring in every case below to government as the Hobbesian state, and "the market" as commercial society. Civil society can be a form of governance which does not claim monopoly of the use of force, thus is voluntary and not Hobbesian.

This, this is heavily flawed. Cost is an important factor when designing, even for the government. As a future engineer, I've already seen numerous presentations for government projects from my professors where cost is one of the most important considerations (well, that and safety obviously). Just because the government can theoretically print all the money it wants does not mean that it will spend any sum for a given project.
What I have said does not deny cost as an "important factor" in any way.
What it does say is that the market forces which encourage people to regard cost as important are absent. There may be other forces, maybe the moral forces one exerts on themselves tell them "no!" but the market forces are still absent.
Furthermore, since government is absent the same strict competition and loss motives due its monopoly and ability to expropriate money, thrift is a virtue not encouraged thereby. It moreover generates severe moral hazards, such as in encouraging more taxation, properly understood as theft, and other strategies to manipulate the market and generally impoverish or control.

In addition, when considering incentives, individual benefits do not necessarily overtake collective benefits. There have been many strategies demonstrated (such as "tit for tat") where collective efforts are taken instead of individual benefits. People aren't always necessarily selfish as this sentence might suggest.
A collective is nothing but the individuals that compose it. It is silly to separate the two.
You are misinterpreting the sentence. In no way do I suggest that people are necessarily selfish.
What I am implying is that the market's incentive structure encourages selflessness, and that the government's incentive structure encourages selfishness. That doesn't mean that people won't be the other things under said systems.
Again, that which truly benefits the collective will take place more often under a free market than under a more socialized market.

I believe we talked about this in our last talk, but it's the same thing here: moral hazard is everywhere when the Hobbesian state, an inherently arbitrary institution which holds itself above all other law, is legitimized in defining who the collective is and what benefits and costs are. For any system of justice, there must be two clear and identifiable parties of individuals.

The Austrian Theory of the Business Cycle is heavily flawed as well. For example, good entrepreneurs practice good foresight, meaning that they know that the altered interest rates will not last forever. Other problems are outlined in the works of Bryan Caplan and Gottfried von Haberler, among many others. I recommend Caplan's works especially. They are quite interesting.
I know about "Why I am not an Austrian Economist." Trust that we wouldn't stay silent on this issue. I feel like a cop-out for saying this, but I've listened to many of Tom Wood's podcast episodes, and there are many where his guest refutes that essay. I believe it's been a topical approach, about 30 minutes to an hour about one part of passage of the essay. The reason I'm not posting them all now for you to listen to is because, well, that'd be kinda silly me expecting you to listen to all that, but also they're not in playlists of convenience and are titled all different things relating to the topic discussed, so there's no easy way to isolate them. Furthermore, there should be plenty of dailies on Mises.org that refute the essay, but that's also a cop-out answer because, again, I haven't mastered the material. :p

Good entrepreneurs can't practice good foresight in the way you seem to think they would. The Federal Reserve operates behind closed doors, and Quantitative Easing has just kept going and going and going... Who knows when Yellen will let the interest rates rise? The most important part, however, is that it's impossible to tell which industry in particular has malinvestment until the market signals the end product has been a success or a failure.

Since I do not know all of the details about this project, I can only say this: Government officials can hire people to assess the market. Its incentive structures do not have to be a significant obstruction for its projects. In addition, if these really were "one-in-a-million flukes", then many public facilities that are in use today would not exist or operate correctly. The flaw in these theoretical claims come from the empirical evidence that is readily available for viewing. Too much weight is put into these so-called "incentive structures" that promote selfishness when logical solutions promote cooperation over individual gain.
For more details, just google Thompson Center Illinois and Rauner's proposal to sell it.

I've gotta admit to hyperbole in that "one-in-a-million", though, and lack of clarity.
When government does anything that the market would normally do or succeed at, it's either superfluous or wasteful since it operates outside or beside the market.

This might be an even more important part for you as an engineer: government as a customer brings with it many other perverse incentives and moral hazards. Free society would certainly not invest in much the same way they do, simply because there's no demand for those things as of now, or they're before their time, things like weapons or space programs. Ultimately, they are superfluous wastes that would come to their fullness in due time and much more efficiently under the market if it is something people truly want. For example, I'm saddened that the military-industrial-congressional complex picks up so many of our best and brightest STEM people and puts them to work making things that ultimately don't further our society by meeting the demand of the people since the market accountability and feedback mechanisms which incentivize the pleasing of the people are absent. Generally, people don't like war, or dying, or destruction, or imperialism, thus the market would promote peace. The state, not beholden to the market, has fewer qualms denying the people their desires and has much incentive to propagandize people to support such evil things due to their monopoly on the use of force.

Whether you think they matter or not, the "so-called" incentive structures exist.
I must insist, and this is where we will likely disagree the most, on the axiomatic truth that people act, and from that we can deduce economic truth.

The other fundamental flaw with the "empirical" approach is that one needs to have an analytical framework to make any sense of any data. There is no such thing as pure empirical analysis, because analytical frameworks necessarily precede empirical data and the proper or improper interpretation thereof.

On a side note, I had written a response to the last discussion we had, but I do not have the text file on this laptop I'm currently using. I'll respond to that this weekend. I could always write it again, but that would take more than 5 minutes to write. And I don't want to spend more than that amount of time on any given post. Sorry for the delay though. When I first started writing my reply, first my laptop gave up on me, and then midterms came, so I've been pretty busy.
I understand, I think. No worries, no rush.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Before we start, I should clarify and distinguish what I mean by "government." I'm referring in every case below to government as the Hobbesian state, and "the market" as commercial society. Civil society can be a form of governance which does not claim monopoly of the use of force, thus is voluntary and not Hobbesian.

What I have said does not deny cost as an "important factor" in any way.
What it does say is that the market forces which encourage people to regard cost as important are absent. There may be other forces, maybe the moral forces one exerts on themselves tell them "no!" but the market forces are still absent.
Furthermore, since government is absent the same strict competition and loss motives due its monopoly and ability to expropriate money, thrift is a virtue not encouraged thereby. It moreover generates severe moral hazards, such as in encouraging more taxation, properly understood as theft, and other strategies to manipulate the market and generally impoverish or control.

A collective is nothing but the individuals that compose it. It is silly to separate the two.
You are misinterpreting the sentence. In no way do I suggest that people are necessarily selfish.
What I am implying is that the market's incentive structure encourages selflessness, and that the government's incentive structure encourages selfishness. That doesn't mean that people won't be the other things under said systems.
Again, that which truly benefits the collective will take place more often under a free market than under a more socialized market.

I believe we talked about this in our last talk, but it's the same thing here: moral hazard is everywhere when the Hobbesian state, an inherently arbitrary institution which holds itself above all other law, is legitimized in defining who the collective is and what benefits and costs are. For any system of justice, there must be two clear and identifiable parties of individuals.

I know about "Why I am not an Austrian Economist." Trust that we wouldn't stay silent on this issue. I feel like a cop-out for saying this, but I've listened to many of Tom Wood's podcast episodes, and there are many where his guest refutes that essay. I believe it's been a topical approach, about 30 minutes to an hour about one part of passage of the essay. The reason I'm not posting them all now for you to listen to is because, well, that'd be kinda silly me expecting you to listen to all that, but also they're not in playlists of convenience and are titled all different things relating to the topic discussed, so there's no easy way to isolate them. Furthermore, there should be plenty of dailies on Mises.org that refute the essay, but that's also a cop-out answer because, again, I haven't mastered the material. :p

Good entrepreneurs can't practice good foresight in the way you seem to think they would. The Federal Reserve operates behind closed doors, and Quantitative Easing has just kept going and going and going... Who knows when Yellen will let the interest rates rise? The most important part, however, is that it's impossible to tell which industry in particular has malinvestment until the market signals the end product has been a success or a failure.

For more details, just google Thompson Center Illinois and Rauner's proposal to sell it.

I've gotta admit to hyperbole in that "one-in-a-million", though, and lack of clarity.
When government does anything that the market would normally do or succeed at, it's either superfluous or wasteful since it operates outside or beside the market.

This might be an even more important part for you as an engineer: government as a customer brings with it many other perverse incentives and moral hazards. Free society would certainly not invest in much the same way they do, simply because there's no demand for those things as of now, or they're before their time, things like weapons or space programs. Ultimately, they are superfluous wastes that would come to their fullness in due time and much more efficiently under the market if it is something people truly want. For example, I'm saddened that the military-industrial-congressional complex picks up so many of our best and brightest STEM people and puts them to work making things that ultimately don't further our society by meeting the demand of the people since the market accountability and feedback mechanisms which incentivize the pleasing of the people are absent. Generally, people don't like war, or dying, or destruction, or imperialism, thus the market would promote peace. The state, not beholden to the market, has fewer qualms denying the people their desires and has much incentive to propagandize people to support such evil things due to their monopoly on the use of force.

Whether you think they matter or not, the "so-called" incentive structures exist.
I must insist, and this is where we will likely disagree the most, on the axiomatic truth that people act, and from that we can deduce economic truth.

The other fundamental flaw with the "empirical" approach is that one needs to have an analytical framework to make any sense of any data. There is no such thing as pure empirical analysis, because analytical frameworks necessarily precede empirical data and the proper or improper interpretation thereof.

I understand, I think. No worries, no rush.
Huh. I don't usually see this side of the Internet in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom