• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 (Skill Gap)

Wyverian

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-6896-8093
Now that i think about it, this games skill gap, is very slim to be honest, while it takes skill to pull off any win, in smash 4, spacing and timing is everything. Back in Melee, if you mastered Advanced tech, and played against someone who never uses tech, you would win almost every game. In smash 4 and even brawl, a player who is skilled in tech, can get REKT by a player who just knows how to time dodges, roll's and kill moves. I know some may not favor this, and as a person who likes to see my hard work pay off, ill still have to say that i actually like how the game turned out. I still practice my tech, i like to be flashy, yet i also need to be more aware of my opponent. Anyone agree?

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
The purpose of tech is to win. If your "tech" isn't helping you win, it's not very good tech is it?

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Smash 4 has become the Soul Calibur.

Spirst

The purpose of tech is to win. If your "tech" isn't helping you win, it's not very good tech is it?
I think the point he's making it is that there ISN'T much tech left in Smash 4. Even DACUS from Brawl is gone.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I think the point he's making it is that there ISN'T much tech left in Smash 4. Even DACUS from Brawl is gone.
What are you talking about? It is still around. You want to let go of the circle pad and then immediately do an up smash before the slide begins. You can also sort of to the same with down smash,but only in the middle of the short slide animation rather than before it even begins. Maybe in the Wii U version you won't have to stop the dash to DACUS with the C- stick.

NairWizard

Somewhere
What are you talking about? It is still around. You want to let go of the circle pad and then immediately do an up smash before the slide begins. You can also sort of to the same with down smash,but only in the middle of the short slide animation rather than before it even begins. Maybe in the Wii U version you won't have to stop the dash to DACUS with the C- stick.
DACUS is gone. You are performing a dashing up-smash, which is not a DACUS. DACUS moves Greninja across most of Final Destination. The move you're referring to doesn't.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
DACUS is in the game, but if it weren't, it would not be a bad thing :p
Im sayjng that we have already established this. We don't need more threqds to repeat what we already know
We who?

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Im sayjng that we have already established this. We don't need more threqds to repeat what we already know
I got that the first time around. There's a thousand other threads per day; posting in this one wasn't required.

Wee wee monsieur.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
DACUS is gone. You are performing a dashing up-smash, which is not a DACUS. DACUS moves Greninja across most of Final Destination. The move you're referring to doesn't.
Well if it does something like that with Greninja, then I honestly don't have a problem with it being gone. Anyways in a dashing up-smash really that different aside from what you said?

Wyverian

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-6896-8093
We're cool. :b:

(what do you mean we are cool. You gonna start that again...)
Sorry xD... its just i have bad experience's with forums, you go post something, and there is always that 1 person that ruins it. Oh yeah it is a dashing up smash that was changed. Its not too different, but it does take some getting use too. It actually takes more skill to do now. Which is never a bad thing :)

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Sorry xD... its just i have bad experience's with forums, you go post something, and there is always that 1 person that ruins it. Oh yeah it is a dashing up smash that was changed. Its not too different, but it does take some getting use too. It actually takes more skill to do now. Which is never a bad thing :)
Don't let them ruin it. They are but one of thousands on this forum who might have had a bad day, a boring life, or a butt that needs washing. The Up Smash just seems like the way it needs to be. People like "exploits" or fun things, I guess, no matter how impractical it is or not.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Yes, I too love that this game has a feeling of being more approachable without having a huge skill barrier that cuts people off.

64, and I guess Project M are the only other games I think are like that(though the 3.56 might have changed that :()

ferioku

Smash Ace
Yes, I too love that this game has a feeling of being more approachable without having a huge skill barrier that cuts people off.

64, and I guess Project M are the only other games I think are like that(though the 3.56 might have changed that :()
Honestly, I think if Nintendo keep removing options, then a lot of people will quit the game, it's upsetting to see that they removed DACUS, wished they at least kept that...

Does anyone know if Glide tossing is in?

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Honestly, I think if Nintendo keep removing options, then a lot of people will quit the game, it's upsetting to see that they removed DACUS, wished they at least kept that...

Does anyone know if Glide tossing is in?
IMO, I felt DACUS was a bit TOO good for some characters like Greninja who would slide like halfway across the stage with it. Dashing up-smash in my eyes is the same, just harder to do and less overpowered.

KingCowman

Smash Rookie
Why is it inherently bad that positioning and well timed dodges and attacks are something you have to worry about in this game?

You should be able to do that to them as well, unless they are camping defensively in an unfair matchup.

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
Why is it inherently bad that positioning and well timed dodges and attacks are something you have to worry about in this game?

You should be able to do that to them as well, unless they are camping defensively in an unfair matchup.
It's not bad that they are viable. What is bad is how forgiving and absuable they are by certain characters especially ones with quick recovering rolls or projectiles.

KingCowman

Smash Rookie
In for glory I understand the issues with projectile spam, I personally have had many issues with it (Curse you DHD)
All in all hyper aggressive play shouldn't always be rewarded against worse opponents, and that's what I thought OP disliked, but I probably misread it.
You always have to play intelligently.

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
I never used techs in Brawl so I see you all talking about DACUS and I have no clue what any of it means.

Wyverian

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-6896-8093
Also, i hate to say this but... from Sakurai's point of view, if you were to ask the man what advanced techs he had put in smash 4, he'll tell you everything from Fast falling, to pivot grabbing, to dashing up smashes are advanced, and to be honest, its kinda the truth.....Yeah i know alot of exploitable glitches are being taken out, or are gone, but thats just what they are. Glitche's....and now he can patch those out if he pleases.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Also, i hate to say this but... from Sakurai's point of view, if you were to ask the man what advanced techs he had put in smash 4, he'll tell you everything from Fast falling, to pivot grabbing, to dashing up smashes are advanced, and to be honest, its kinda the truth.....Yeah i know alot of exploitable glitches are being taken out, or are gone, but thats just what they are. Glitche's....and now he can patch those out if he pleases.
These are techniques, yes.

I'm glad all the glitches are getting removed, we can have a cool meta without exploiting stuff.

Top Bottom