• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Samus vs Samus' of the past

Hapajin

Smash Apprentice
I recently played as Samus in a Brawl tournament, and it's really interesting comparing moves more in depth. When Smash 4 just came out, we did lots of comparing, but with patches and new techs developing, I think that comparing Samus across games is still an interesting and noteworthy topic. Anyways, some things I noticed:

Pro-Brawl Samus:
-Down-tilt having KO power was super nice. I'm by no means a good Brawl Samus main, but it was such a quick easy KO option, even if the opponent was around 150%, it seemed pretty reliable, as long as it wasn't stale.
-I'm a scrub and can't convert very well off of Jab 1 (in brawl or smash4) very well, but having jab1-2 connect reliable was actually a really nice get-off-me option that I used a lot, and something I think Smash4 samus would benefit from
-Autocancel Fair is super nice for damage racking
- Nair is really nice, even though it's super weak. fading back or using it as a landing option seems to work fairly well. Not that I'm expecting (or feeling any strong need) for any Smash4 Nair change, but having a Nair like this for Smash4 Samus would be incredible
-Zair is super nice in Brawl, feels longer and the extra knockback from a single hit makes it feel safer too, IMO.

Pro Smash 4 Samus:
-D-tilt seems to have a lot more range and I feel like its a lot easier to punish with d-tilt in smash 4, although I could be making this up. Overall, it just seemed a lot easier to land
-Having a faster fall speed is super nice, I felt like I was stuck in the air forever in Brawl, but landing seems like much less of a hassle for Samus in Smash4 (although still not as easy as it should be)
-This may be due to Smash4 mechanics again, but landing sweetspot bairs is a lot easier for me, a much easier kill option
-Having vertical KO options with u-air and up-b is really convenient. Samus feels a lot more flexible with these options.
-Charge shot reliably killing is an obvious, major plus. A lot easier to set- up kills with Smash4 charge shot, probably thanks to mechanics changes

Anyways, wanted to make a thread for open discussion of comparing Samus' across platforms, and the Brawl tourney overall made me grateful for lots of the changes she received.

Bash2King

Smash Cadet
NNID
MetroidBash550
Eh id count the Higher fall speed as a nuetral thing while we land quicker it took away the double back air in a full hop something i miss ;-; also did her falling faster make her lose Autocancel Fair or was it just fair itself getting reworked... still kinda confused about Autocanceling

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
Doubt it. FJ F-air cancels on a BF platform. And a SH from Brawl and Sm4sh are pretty similar. Braw's F-air had low amounts of lag to begin with. Auto-canceled didn't feel much different.

Bash2King

Smash Cadet
NNID
MetroidBash550
Doubt it. FJ F-air cancels on a BF platform. And a SH from Brawl and Sm4sh are pretty similar. Braw's F-air had low amounts of lag to begin with. Auto-canceled didn't feel much different.
Oh wonder what then

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
I preferred Brawl Samus, she could cancel the end lag of missiles by landing and she could use bombs better for recovery. Her sound effects are also cooler in Brawl.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
I preferred Brawl Samus, she could cancel the end lag of missiles by landing and she could use bombs better for recovery. Her sound effects are also cooler in Brawl.
Actually, her bombs and missiles were more useful in Melee.

Tocaraca2

Smash Ace
Actually, her bombs and missiles were more useful in Melee.
We don't ****ing care about ****ing Melee you ****ing ********, this is a Brawl vs Sm4sh comparison. Melee is outdated, you should play newer games.(Kappa)

Last edited:

Bash2King

Smash Cadet
NNID
MetroidBash550
I thought we were just comparing all Past Samusi... And project M Samus is the best Samus

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
Project M Samus is the best Samus
Definetly. Boost ball helps a ton, ice beam makes killing a lot easier, dash attack hits like a truck, and being able to charge your charge shot on the air makes for some good mindgames.

Rawberry

Smash Rookie
I'm definitely biased here but as much as I love the new depth of mechanics I miss being able to play
'perfectly' on Smash64 - if you time Samus moves correctly you can cancel any incoming attack with a regular attack,
smash or up+b as appropriate, including reflected CS, plus instant (no wind-up) spikes.

Samus has a lot more vulnerabilities in later versions of smash, but is still so much fun to play that
she will be my main forever more!

I miss the potency of bombs and down+A compared to Melee, but I really like being able to get a kill-shot
with fair so I think that balances out okay really.

I didnt get a chance to play enough Brawl to compare the two - my Wii took a gouge out of the disc somehow :(

KingOfTheHill

Smash Cadet
I think when ranking all the Samus it comes out like
Project M>Melee>64>Brawl>=Sm4sh
But I can see sm4sh and brawl arguably being swapped because both are good at different things.

_gold_

Smash Master
The range of d-tilt on Smash 4 is amazing, and even surprises me how far it reaches some times. But it's a catch-22 since it's not really a kill option anymore, so that is disappointing.

Top Bottom