• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Question Thread (Ask a question, get an answer from those who played)

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
I figured now would be a good time for a thread like this.

Have any question, big or small, related to Smash for Wii U or 3DS? Ask right here right now, and someone who has played the game at E3 or Best Buy will answer your question ASAP. Other confirmed sources to answer questions like gameplay videos and articles are welcome here as well.

Don't be shy, ask away! We're all here to do our best to answer based on our experiences and knowledge.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I only played one match, so I don't know how infinites work. I was Mega Man, BTW.

How do infinites work?

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
How much faster is the game compared to Brawl?
[Also did anybody literally spend several seconds just doing the new tumble thing that happens when you run off a platform?]

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
If Villager uses Down Special to plant the seedling. And then uses it away from said seedling. What'll happen?

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
How much faster is the game compared to Brawl?
Much faster. It reminds me of Project M while I play it even though it's still a bit slower than that. By no means does it reach high octane levels like in Melee, but a much faster game overall.

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
Another question for anyone, what Luigi changes are there other then new jump?
New Final Smash. Uses his vacuum from Luigi's Mansion. It's great.

All his moves, I believe, come straight from Brawl. Probably some changes of where enemies end up after a hit, but I have to study him more to know for sure.

Last edited:

Sasquatch180

Smash Rookie
I have a couple of questions about Little Mac.

1. Does his "Super Armor" (I believe that is the term) "block" one of any attack when he is using a smash attack, or does it only block other smashes/regular attacks?

2. Does his Side Special (Lunge) dodge any attack, or just projectiles?

3. As Giga-Mac is he able to use his Specials or is he limited to smash and regular attacks?

4. Does his Slip Counter ignore continuous attacks or can it be interrupted? (By continuous I mean stuff like Fire Flowers, Bowser's fire breath, etc...)

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
Btw guys, tomorrow I'm going to smash fest at Best Buy again. The questions that I didn't know before, I'll try answering with my playthrough on Saturday.

Any questions you guys would like answered? I'll do my best to research the game the next day. Oh, and just so you know I plan on bringing headphones to plug into the 3DS, so I can answer voice and music questions as well.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Btw guys, tomorrow I'm going to smash fest at Best Buy again. The questions that I didn't know before, I'll try answering with my playthrough on Saturday.

Any questions you guys would like answered? I'll do my best to research the game the next day. Oh, and just so you know I plan on bringing headphones to plug into the 3DS, so I can answer voice and music questions as well.
Let me know if you see Isaac as an Assist Trophy, if you don't mind.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
How would you rate the game (in it's beta form) in comparison with the release versions of Brawl and Melee?

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
So I definitely plan on megaman being one of my mains, even if he turns out to be a low-mid tier, but I kind of don't want it to end up like when I tried to main sonic for a month and it just ended in frustration.

So if you're a fan of the megaman series, how much similar does he play to his own games/is he fun to use in general (an opinionated question.)

What is the best current assumption of his playstyle? (spam long range/camp to chip people down or rush people or I hear this games defensive in general or what)

And how well does he fair against others, groups or otherwise(I think people have only been in free-for-alls)

TL;DR: Does he suck? Is he just complicated to use? Is he actually fun to use? Does he have potential? Will a fan of his series enjoy him outside of being hype about his existence in sm4sh?

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
How would you rate the game (in it's beta form) in comparison with the release versions of Brawl and Melee?
Honestly, 9/10. I really feel gameplay-wise it is the definitive Smash. The controls are very smooth, I have yet to find a character that's too OP, and it's a perfect balance between the fastness of Melee and casualness of Brawl.

Last edited:

Qzzy

Smash Journeyman
Does momentum carry over from running when you jump? Or in other words, can you do a running jump?

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Does momentum carry over from running when you jump? Or in other words, can you do a running jump?

I'd like to know about this as well. in Brawl, it aggravated me that running short hops didn't move all that much unless you were playing a floaty character with high air speed.

As a Fox main, I'm curious if Fox still moves at a very quick pace compared to everyone else both in movement and attacking speed?

Additionally, how influential is fast falling in this game? Is it noticeable and important?

Last edited:

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Did anyone who played as Sonic cancel their spindashes with shields like he can in Brawl?

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
I'd like to know about this as well. in Brawl, it aggravated me that running short hops didn't move all that much unless you were playing a floaty character with high air speed.
Yes, I believe it carries much better compared to Brawl.

As a Fox main, I'm curious if Fox still moves at a very quick pace compared to everyone else both in movement and attacking speed?
I played Fox last time. He is very similar to how he was in Brawl, but since Smash 4 is faster, so is Fox. His movement is still faster than everyone else, but I believe the speed of his attacks are only slightly sped up from Brawl. Now that hitstuns are back, it plays a much bigger role with Fox in Smash 4, so if his attacks were any faster he would be too powerful like in 64 and Melee.

Additionally, how influential is fast falling in this game? Is it noticeable and important?
You're much heavier now. It's strange, cause Fox almost falls as fast as he does in Melee when fast falling, but falls slowly like in Brawl if he doesn't.

Last edited:

Pékaßlu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0147-0376-7641
Does the 3ds version play the same as the wii u one¿

Hong

The Strongest
Has anyone here played as Kirby and inhaled any of the newcomers? What do their hats look like?
Not the most polished video, but I'd check it out anyway:

Edit - For those who have character-specific threads, I recommend asking in the appropriate character forum for a faster response. Most of these questions have been answered already.

Last edited:

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
Guys, I'm posting live at Best Buy! I'm 12th in line for the Wii U demo, and I'll start playing at noon!

I'm doing Gamefaqs a favor by answering questions they ask live at the event, but you can ask as well! It still follows the same rules as the Gamefaqs thread, so keep watch on me :)

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69443997

EDIT: I don't mean you have to make a gamefaqs account and post there, just ask any question in this thread on Smashboard and I'll test it out on the 3DS or Wii U version and give you an answer. But I'll admit that Gamefaqs thread is priority,

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
If you play Villager, ask someone to reflect while you crash Lloid Rocket into them while it's still being mounted and report what happens.

Please, of course. Only if it's not a hassle.

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
If you play Villager, ask someone to reflect while you crash Lloid Rocket into them while it's still being mounted and report what happens.

Please, of course. Only if it's not a hassle.
Dang, that sounds interesting. I'll try that when I play villager.

Maybe I should have had this live question thread at Smashboards instead since the questions are more interesting, but it's at the cost of being 10 times more complicated (but worth it).

I'd prefer to focus on simpler questions like on Gamefaqs, but again, please keep asking questions here and I'll get to them. Gamefaqs is priority, but I'll dang well try to do Smashboard questions as long as they're VERY interesting.

Last edited:

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
Event is starting soon for me. It looks like I'll be playing Rosalina in the next 20 minutes.

HeroPenguin

Smash Cadet
Villager:

Can his Fsmash, dash attack, fair or bair be reflected? Same Q for all of MM's normals.

How far does Villager's fsmash fall after he releases it?

Can his upB balloons be popped by attacks or people touching them?

Can his neutral B grab invincibility stars? If yes, when he releases it, does it start bouncing again or does it instantly activate on him?

Olimar:

Does his whistle have armor?

Mario:

How does FLUDD work in this game? Does it seem useful?

Link:

How does Gale Boomerang work when returning? Does it only push like Brawl or does it have a hitbox like everything else?

How is the knockback power and angle on his grounded up B? Same Q for Bow and Bombs.

DK:

How is his new dash attack? Does he have an air down B?

Sonic:

Does he have any new or altered attack animations?

How are his neutral and side Bs?

Samus:

Does her dsmash hit people to the opposite side of her still?

Rosalina:

What are Luma's attacks? Does he do different attacks for tilts and smashes and aerials, or does he only have directional attacks?

Thanks for being willing to test this stuff.

HeroPenguin

Smash Cadet
General system:

How is shield stun? Is it Brawl level "shieldgrab everything" or are some moves safe on shield?

Do characters sent flying still collide with other characters and cause knockback?

How does the new anti-ledgehog tech work? Can anyone dislodge characters on the edge at any time, or does a recovery attack or sweetspot have to be involved? When dislodged, how do characters act? Do they regain or retain jumps, or is it really bad for them to get bumped?

smashkirby

Smash Hero

What song plays on the "Pilot Wings" stage and did Chunky Kong show up in SSB4 as an assist trophy?

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
What are some notable changes made to any of the characters?
I made a post in a different thread about some of the old characters. I've edited it a little so here.

*Samus:
Missile canceling is gone. Charge shot is very fast. I only played her in Smash run but I didn't think she was too good. She can run pretty fast but I used her in Smash run so speed may have been adjusted when I tried to see her dash but I'm pretty sure she can run quickly regardless. Nair is nerfed I'd say. You can't hold it out like in Melee. It is a front then back kick. Dair comes out quickly iirc. Her new colors are way better than Brawl. Theres a Silver one that has red lines on it that looks great. All the others are just improved from Brawl. I can't really remember any others.

Zero Suit Samus:
Too stronk. She's pretty good. She's fast. Spacing with fast fall back airs was good to me. Brawl players of ZSS would like her a lot (since I was one). She has a new F-smash that is like a double kick. This move is pretty good imo. Both hits will connect normally. Her dash attack is much better and has less lag iirc. Its like a running knee instead of a kick. All of her d-smash combos remain in tact (as far as I could tell) I used her in a FFA. Red replaces the pink color and theres also a black color.

*Zelda:
meh. I used her in Smash run and I really couldn't tell much from that. Her up B is very quick like P:M. Down B is weird. You kinda need to charge it a second before it can work. The Phantom's don't go down slopes. They just stay in front of you. Over B was really nerfed in terms of spamming and theres a delay from when you release the over B to the explosion happening like Melee. Side B isn't a very good move anymore imo. The distance travels further than when you let go of b as well. So it will travel more distance after it disappears and then reappears for the attack. This could be good for mind games though. New up taunt thats pretty similar to the last one. She doesn't have that white hair color and the blonde hair looks a little greenish.

*Pit:
He's pretty good imo. I used him in Smash run so I couldn't get a good grip on his combo ability and such. I like how up B works though its not as far as I thought it would be and there's no freedom of control once you do it in a direction. Arrows are slower and travel a shorter distance. I guess that makes sense since thats how it was in KI:U. He doesn't run very fast IMO.

*Kirby:
Kirby's new voice is amazing. Bye sounds great and the side taunt makes the sounds like it does in P:M but re recorded. Kirby seems ok. I could only use him in Smash run. His over B in the air comes out twice but very slowly and it doesn't do anything to your momentum. It can still be charged in the air as well.

*Marth:
I really don't play Marth too much in Smash. His d-tilt didn't kill ZSS in a sudden death. All I tried to do was space with fairs. That is really difficult in the 3ds version. I think they added some lag to his arials.

*=Smash Run.
Toonlink doesn't have his brown hair color. All the colors for characters are much more solid colors. ZSS's pink outfit is red and Samus' blue outfit is more solid. The colors for this game are really good.

Last edited:

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
I have a couple of questions about Little Mac.

1. Does his "Super Armor" (I believe that is the term) "block" one of any attack when he is using a smash attack, or does it only block other smashes/regular attacks?

2. Does his Side Special (Lunge) dodge any attack, or just projectiles?

3. As Giga-Mac is he able to use his Specials or is he limited to smash and regular attacks?

4. Does his Slip Counter ignore continuous attacks or can it be interrupted? (By continuous I mean stuff like Fire Flowers, Bowser's fire breath, etc...)
1. Any attack. And I wouldn't call it blocking, I would call it "overpowering". Mac is just way too strong on ground, so watch out. Best advice when fighting him is to play Little Mac's game and "dodge and counter". Always shield/dodge, never attack him to block his strong punches.

I should mention that it's also really hard to make Little Mac flinch. With his neutral B, he will charge up and let lose a powerful punch. I had a Mario CPU standard attack and tilt attack him during this charge, but it wouldn't stop him from charging up. This kid is amazing.

Just.... Don't play with Little Mac in the air.... Like, ever....

2. Any attack, cause he's essentially dodging by flying like a bullet in an arc fashion. I think you can still hit him when he does the lunge, but it's hard to since he flies so fast. He will automatically do a powerful punch at the end of his lunge, but you can end his lunge early and do the punch by pressing B again at any time earlier. If you time it , you can do a surprise lunge punch against enemies by side b-ing and pressing b again right when you approach the enemy. I quickly won sudden death by doing this at the start of it. Side B is also a great recovery.

3. Yes, he can use his specials. He has the exact same moveset as before, just way more powerful. He's like Giga Bowser or Warioman. Same moveset, just stronger and invincible.

4. Not sure, but I'm pretty sure it's the exact same mechanic as Marth's encounter. What was the case for that in previous games?

If continuous attacks were a problem with encounter before, I'm sure they found a way to fix it, like with all other the problems/annoyances that are fixed in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
1. Any attack. And I wouldn't call it blocking, I would call it "overpowering". Mac is just way too strong on ground, so watch out. Best advice when fighting him is to play Little Mac's game and "dodge and counter". Always shield/dodge, never attack him to block his strong punches.

I should mention that it's also really hard to make Little Mac flinch. With his neutral B, he will charge up and let lose a powerful punch. I had a Mario CPU standard attack and tilt attack him during this charge, but it wouldn't stop him from charging up. This kid is amazing.

Just.... Don't play with Little Mac in the air.... Like, ever....

2. Any attack, cause he's essentially dodging by flying like a bullet in an arc fashion. I think you can still hit him when he does the lunge, but it's hard to since he flies so fast. He will automatically do a powerful punch at the end of his lunge, but you can end his lunge early and do the punch by pressing B again at any time earlier. If you time it , you can do a surprise lunge punch against enemies by side b-ing and pressing b again right when you approach the enemy. I quickly won sudden death by doing this at the start of it. Side B is also a great recovery.

3. Yes, he can use his specials. He has the exact same moveset as before, just way more powerful. He's like Giga Bowser or Warioman. Same moveset, just stronger and invincible.

4. Not sure, but I'm pretty sure it's the exact same mechanic as Marth's encounter. What was the case for that in previous games?

If continuous attacks were a problem with encounter before, I'm sure they found a way to fix it, like with all other the problems/annoyances that are fixed in Smash 4.
Yeah, I knew LM would be a gimmicking character.

Perhaps he will change in his meta game overtime, like Olimar.

NefariousShyGuy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NefariousShyGuy
3DS FC
3609-1047-1128
Don't know if people on Smashboards are keeping watch on my Gamefaqs topic, but I was unbelievably lucky when I had Smash 3DS all to myself for 40 minutes uninterrupted. I'm currently answering the questions on Gamefaqs, and my answers are very in depth. The Little Mac question I just answered came from this topic:

I might make new topics in the character board discussion at Smashboards discussing more about individual characters, but so far I'm just answering questions you guys have.

This post might be of most interest

I'm still working on those older questions.

But in terms of new questions you guys want to ask I should let you know some more things about my long playthrough today:

I played extensively with these characters
*Mario
*Sonic
*Fox
*Rosalina & Luma
*Kirby
*Zelda
*Sheik
*Villager
*Little Mac
*Greninja
*Samus
*Megaman
*Luigi
*Bowser

If a character is not on that list, I did not play with him/her (Sorry WFT. I swear, I wanted to try you).

I got to play all the stages on the 3DS version
On Wii U, I played:
*Skyloft
*Battlefield
*Boxing Ring
*Pilotwings

And finally....

ALL THE ASSIST TROPHY RUMORS WERE FALSE
It's still technically my belief, but let me tell you, I encountered 2-3 assist trophies every match. I've seen them all. The Assist trophies that are in both the Wii U and 3DS demos were all announced on Miiverse and in the Smash direct. So far, only Tingle seems to be the one confirmed that hasn't been officially announced (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx29v4eDTCI). If there was really more than Tingle, it would have been reported or uploaded by the time Tingle was confirmed. Why? Because thousands upon thousands of people have played Smash at E3, the biggest convention in LA this month. There were almost one hundred smash demo units at the show floor, and everyone was playing the game back to back. Therefore, no matter how tiny that assist trophy appearance percentage is for a character, they will have to come out of there some time. I'm sure Tingle had a low appearance percentage, but even he wasn't rare enough to not be filmed. If those rumored assist trophies are true, we honestly would have gotten at least a photo by now. With the Best Buy event now over, we should expect proof of said character. If that doesn't happen by tomorrow, it can safely be said that it's false. It's BS if someone says he's seen him at Best Buy without proof, cause EVERYONE is now aware of this rumor and is wanting to snap a photo (this was especially the case at my Best Buy, but no luck). I also think those assist trophies sound too good to be true. So where's Chunky? Where are the other assist trophies that were said to be in SSB4? Not in the demo, that's for sure.

With all that taken care of, ask away. Even if there are questions about characters I didn't play, I will still answer them based on research I did at Smashboards (Lots of answers are already there, but it's really hard to collect information there without getting lost if you're new. I'll do the research for you).

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Don't know if people on Smashboards are keeping watch on my Gamefaqs topic, but I was unbelievably lucky when I had Smash 3DS all to myself for 40 minutes uninterrupted. I'm currently answering the questions on Gamefaqs, and my answers are very in depth. The Little Mac question I just answered came from this topic:

I might make new topics in the character board discussion at Smashboards discussing more about individual characters, but so far I'm just answering questions you guys have.

assist trophy part: Magnus was shown on video. The only one I haven't seen yet is lakitu and chunky kong.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral

Wow, lucky indeed! I got five minutes with Smash 4 Wii U, and I felt on top of the world.

I was too hyped for Mega Man to play anyone else during that time. I see you've reviewed Mac a bit, but just overall do you think he's good or not? I just want to know what your overall feeling is on him.

Top Bottom