• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 Battle Damage

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well... PixelPasta's post reminds me, how WILL battle damage work on Wireframe Mac? :laugh:

Juken

Smash Ace
If Captain Falcon goes past 150%, his visor helmet should come off, revealing his full face. :falcon:

fill

20EggsEggs
Am I the only one who still thinks of smash characters as toys come to life like you can see in the intro to smash 64? Guess I am, well because of that I wouldn't really want this sort of realistic battle damage because it kinda goes against my vision of the smash universe but whatever
so the battle damage could be like the teddies in Conkers bad fur day

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
I don't support this. I don't want my character to look less and less appealing as the match goes on. I want to play as them in all their glory. Much rather it stay as-is.

Tired animations are something I could get behind though.

SnappyJ

Smash Cadet
NNID
SnappyJ
Battle Damage clashes with the more cartoonly feel of Smash 4.

Tired animations are the way to go.
This is exactly what I was thinking of! Tired animations definitely would fit in better than battle damage. I think battle damage just feels too gritty for the playful feel of the game.

ffadicted

Smash Rookie
This would actually be pretty sweet if implemented in multiple stages (not just < or >= 100% two stages).... would be probably a bit of work for them though

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
dude it woud be cool for megaman cause we could see his helmet break off with his flowing brown hair

Godking123

Smash Journeyman
Samus' damage overtime could look like my profile picture lol. Guys...battle damage was confirmed since the Megaman trailer where he gets injured haha

RSF-Blue bomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lethlintejection
3DS FC
5069-3977-0380
Yea. Unless he reads the archie comics, in which case it was shown to be brown. Volnutt also has brown hair. He could be thinking of that.
well actually he was shown to have 3 different hair colors. brown (recent), black (classic games), and blue (also classic game cutscenes).

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Battle Damage clashes with the more cartoonly feel of Smash 4.

Tired animations are the way to go.
I still want hurt portraits, like in Tales games. ..when a character is knocked out, their potrait makes a face expressing that.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
It wouldn't clash with the cartoony style of the game, because clearly there's a lot of ways to do cartoony battle damage, X-shaped bandaids, anime-like bruises, an epic cut on the middle of Meta Knight's mask that would make him look EVEN MORE BADASS.

T

Trick or Treat

I think it'd be kind of a cool thing to implement. Won't really care if it's not, though.

+1 point for contributing absolutely nothing to the the thread.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
I really want this as long as its tasteful. Not a fan of blood or sexualization. Little Mac would be perfect because he already had that in his games. His hair could go down (like on the NES), and he would be bandaged and bruised.
Is this in any other fighting game? I like the idea, as long as it isn't too distracting.
Its in a lot of them. I know it's in MK9 and Punch-Out!!! but I honestly cant think of many other example.

Morbi

Scavenger
These games are rated T. They shouldn't be playing them in the first place.
The ESRB is an arbitrary rating system for parents, GameStop obviously enforces the notion that you have to be seventeen to purchase an M rated game, but I believe kids can still buy T rated games. Smash Bros. is about as family friendly as it gets, most of us here started playing the game when we were "underaged." That being said, I wouldn't mind Mortal Kombat battle damage. It would be hilarious.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
These games are rated T. They shouldn't be playing them in the first place.
1. ESRB sucks at rating games.

2. T rating does not having restriction on who can buy it at what age, meaning it is not as big of a deal as the M rating which has restrictions.

3. It's ****ing Smash Bros. The games are actually made for everyone of all ages to enjoy, the Japan rating system rates the game to our equivalent of E-for Everyone.

ESRB sucks ass though.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
ESRB sucks *** though.
That must explain how video game ratings are a part of the mostly strictly enforced rating system in America, beating movies, explicit albums, and theatrical showings in an FDIC survey of rating enforcement.

I would be fine with battle damage as long as it can be toggled. Tired animations would also be nice, they could look similar to stunned animations.

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
Tired animations are something I could for sure get behind once a character hits something like 100+%.

Khao

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who still thinks of smash characters as toys come to life like you can see in the intro to smash 64? Guess I am, well because of that I wouldn't really want this sort of realistic battle damage because it kinda goes against my vision of the smash universe but whatever
Same, ever since the first I've always thought of them as toys comes to life, and Master and Crazy Hands as the hands of the child, and as such dislike this idea.
There's a perfectly logical explanation for this working within this interpretation of Smash.

Battle damage is a part of the kid's imagination.

Simple.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Not exactly relevant, but didn't Master Hand have some scars on him in SSE from Tabuu's chains? What if we saw battle damage like that? I'm all for characters just getting smudged or have dirt on them as well in lieu of physical damage

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
I feel like it would have worked better with the gritty style in Brawl, but I wouldn't mind it in this game either.

Top Bottom