• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Smash 3DS or New 3DS?

Which 3DS should I purchase?

• Total voters

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
I'm not exactly sure if this is in the right place, but because it's relating to both Smash Bros. and the 3DS I'd figured I'd put this here.

So anyway, I've had a regular 3DS for a while now and I've always thought about upgrading, but now more than ever as I've finally decided to get Smash on the 3DS. And while I really want a Smash-themed 3DS XL, I can't help thinking that it'll be obsolete in the next few months as the more powerful New 3DS arrives here in the States.

The big question: should I treat myself and get a Smash 3DS, something I may not be able to get ever again or should I just wait for the New 3DS so I can also snag its exclusive games (I already have Xenoblade on the Wii sooo)?

Smash XL or New 3DS?

The temptation is killing me...

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
Remember that the new 3ds is going to have more exclusive games than Xenoblade. While the smash 3dsXL looks amazing, you have to think about the New 3ds' better internet. We don't know how smash 3d is going to connect in America (Laggy or not) and the better internet may help if its laggy.

If you aren't worried about the exclusives and if smash connects fine I recommend the blue smash 3dsXL

Overclocked

Smash Cadet
NNID
superfamicomwars
Depends. If you think you can deal with using the regular 3DS for Smash for a few months, and you're interested in the new features it has such as the better CPU and second analog stick, you should wait until the New 3DS comes out and buy that. If not, then buy the Smash 3DS.

You should also keep in mind that we still don't even know whether or not the New 3DS is coming to the West and when it is coming to the West. It could be a full year until the New 3DS comes out, so it may a long wait.

SmashHole '82

Banned via Warnings
Absolutely wait for the New 3DS. There won't be any major advantage to getting the XL over the original 3DS (no matter WHAT its theme is), but the difference with the New 3DS will be much, MUCH, greater.
And the New 3DS will definitely be arriving to the West, in early 2015.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
New 3DS without question. Shouldn't even be thought about, especially given you already own a 3DS so what's even the hurry. Better tech >>>>>>>>> cosmetic design.

Then again I'm probably lying...... My gold Zelda XL :love:

That Smash 3DS is kinda meh.

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
The New 3DS is hands down the best option. I bet sooner or later they're going to add Smash Bros plates for the new 3DS.

XDaDePsak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Get the NEW 3DS XL for absolute sure. Period.

If you want to get a regular 3DS XL, only do so if you're also going to be getting the NEW 3DS.

YES :
Option #1 - Buy only NEW 3DS XL
Option #2 - Buy 3DS XL and then also buy NEW 3DS XL

NO:
Option #3 - Buy only 3DS XL

Khao

Smash Lord
Since you already have the older 3DS, there's no point in getting another one as awesome as the picture on the outside is.

Just wait for the new one, it'll make for a far better upgrade.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
I would say get New 3DS Regular with swappable face plates so you can have a Smash themed one and SO MUCH MORE.

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
I'm not exactly sure if this is in the right place, but because it's relating to both Smash Bros. and the 3DS I'd figured I'd put this here.

So anyway, I've had a regular 3DS for a while now and I've always thought about upgrading, but now more than ever as I've finally decided to get Smash on the 3DS. And while I really want a Smash-themed 3DS XL, I can't help thinking that it'll be obsolete in the next few months as the more powerful New 3DS arrives here in the States.

The big question: should I treat myself and get a Smash 3DS, something I may not be able to get ever again or should I just wait for the New 3DS so I can also snag its exclusive games (I already have Xenoblade on the Wii sooo)?

Smash XL or New 3DS?

Both..? Uhm. Yeah right. Both.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
It's just me but if you only plan of playing smash on 3ds then get the smash theme 3ds. Playing on a bigger screen is nice. Of course you can just keep the regular and play smash and just wait on the new 3ds. Probably the smarter choice and you will play the new 3ds exclusives. You can also always buy both if you have the money.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Both..? Uhm. Yeah right. Both.
If only money grew on trees.

So I'll probably be getting one of the New 3DSs then, now the real question is, which one should I get, the regular New 3DS or the New 3DS XL?

(man, "New 3DS" is such a stupid name)

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII

So I'll probably be getting one of the New 3DSs then, now the real question is, which one should I get, the regular New 3DS or the New 3DS XL?

New 3DS Regular. Swappable Face Plates, baby! You can have your Smash themed 3DS and soooo much more with it.

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice

Buy refurbished. But yes if you don't need to spend that much money then just save for games or something.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
New 3DS Regular. Swappable Face Plates, baby! You can have your Smash themed 3DS and soooo much more with it.
But will they even have Smash-swaps? From what I've seen, there aren't any that have been shown...

Plus the XL is...XL And that'd be cool. But it's also more expensive...so...idk :/

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
In Japan they are releasing New 3DS Smash themed next month. I'm planning on picking that up as it will improve the Internet speed, and RAM over the current model.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
If you already have a 3ds there is literally no reason to upgrade until the New 3DS comes out.

Tweedle

Smash Apprentice
But will they even have Smash-swaps? From what I've seen, there aren't any that have been shown...

Plus the XL is...XL And that'd be cool. But it's also more expensive...so...idk :/
It's not that much more expensive. But yeah the face plates honestly make me consider getting a regular... But the XL like is so fun...

Fuzzywobbles

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0361-7602-3412
The way I see it the New 3DS will have extra buttons in the back, an extra analog stick, better internet, Amiibo integration, changeable plates (if you decide to get the normal N3DS), and exclusive games such as Xenoblade. Meanwhile the Smash 3DS only had cosmetics and nothing else to add.

There's no reason why you should get the Smash 3DS unless you have the money for both or you end up breaking your old 3DS. As for which N3DS to buy I heard the normal N3DS will only be a hair shorter than the old 3DSXL, but as I mentioned before it also gets changeable plates. If I were you I would go for that one unless the N3DS XL gets some awesome features between now and the release.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
New 3DS. I was gonna get a Smash XL but Nintendo pulled that bullbull marketing on the U.S. with the New 3DS. Besides, if you want the Smash custom casing they will probably sell exchangeable covers for Smash too.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
hrmm I wasn't aware of a new 3ds coming out, I bought the smash one because it was the same price as a regular 3dxl, so its all good.

Will the new 3ds allow capture on a PC or TV?

Spirst

Aesthetic upgrade (Smash 3DS) vs functional upgrade (New 3DS). Go with the latter. The patience will pay off greatly.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway

Smash XL or New 3DS?

If you don't want the larger size, or want the likely Smash 3DS faceplate, I'd say get the standard New 3DS. If you like the size, then get the New 3DS XL.
The New 3DS will have more games just for it than Xenoblade.

FireWater

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1478-5556-9486
eh it would have been nice to have new 3ds out when smash came out I would have gotten that.

But I am happy with my current 3ds, I just bought a new grip and I haven't had any thumb cramping.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
If any more exclusive games like Xenoblade Chronicles comes to the New 3DS, I'll definitely go with the new device.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
What does the Smash custom casing look like? If it looks awesome, you bet I'll go with the normal New 3DS.

PikaSamus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BattleSubway
What does the Smash custom casing look like? If it looks awesome, you bet I'll go with the normal New 3DS.
It hasn't been announced, actually. I'm just assuming there will be one.

I also just found out that Nintendo also announced Smash for 3DS New 3DS XL, so you could get that one.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
Well, I live in Japan, and there's a New 3DS with the same Smash-theme of the Western regions, so I can just pick that and call it a day:awesome:

GrizzlyEatsKids

Smash Apprentice
NNID
foodonfloor
3DS FC
3351-4506-8996
As sweet as the new Smash 3DS XL looks, I personally wouldn't recommend getting it at this point since you already have a normal one. While the larger screen is nice too, I feel it just pays off to wait for the new one to come out, whenever that may be.

Top Bottom