• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS coming soon!

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I saw this on Facebook and thought I would share. I couldn't find the official news thread. Also there is an interesting picture of a bunch of new Smash characters though it looks like it was made during Melee.

Here is the Link

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
First, yeah, that's a fan pic that's been floating around since pre-Brawl, and second, keep in mind Nintendo classified 2006 as "coming soon" for Brawl. So going by that, if it didn't show up til 2015 that shouldn't be surprising. Ofc it probably will hit before then, but in the past "coming soon" has meant a two-year window for Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
^They just replaced a placeholder with nothing. No reason to read into it. They could be hoping to get a release date at E3, but either way, it doesn't mean anything.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
Actually, on Nintendo's website, they listed this game on the 3DS as coming soon. So, we may be seeing this game sooner than we think.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I'm not good with links, go to mynintendonews.com or just search that up on the internet:-)

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I'm not good with links, go to mynintendonews.com or just search that up on the internet:-)
The mynintendonews.com article didn't list any official Nintendo website and a quick search on nintendo.com didn't have anything Smash 3DS related either. But I still find it interesting that the game listed as coming soon are in an order:

LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins: April 21
Animal Crossing: New Leaf: June 9
Super Smash Bros.?
Pokémon X/Pokémon Y: October

But I'm pretty sure Nintendo put in Smash by accident. If not, "soon" can mean ANYTHING in this day and age.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
Even if it was an accident, why wasn't the Wii U version also listed as coming soon too?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Because the thing Nintendo made was only covering the 3DS, not the Wii U (basically for 2 years after the 3DS launch)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think we'll get it until sometime in 2015.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Why on earth would the game take that long especially the 3DS version?
Considering all of the content that has to be put into a smash game that seems about right at least to me. Maybe late 2014 if we're lucky.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I could honestly see it coming out later this year.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
The g me started development in 2012, so even with Namco Bandai joining in, you think that the game will still take up to 3 years? The game is going to be at this years E3. If it comes out in 2015, what info could they show at E3 2014?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The g me started development in 2012, so even with Namco Bandai joining in, you think that the game will still take up to 3 years? The game is going to be at this years E3. If it comes out in 2015, what info could they show at E3 2014?
Brawl was shown at E3 in 2005. It was released in 2008.

Now's lets look at this.

Brawl was made with a smaller team so it took longer than it should.

Namco has joined forces with Nintendo. Logic would dictate that it would take much less time.

However, they are currently making TWO separate games at the same time. This is why I think development will take such a long time.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I'd assume the games are gonna release together, and I think they'll be out late this year or early next. Development started in I wanna say March or April of last year, giving them plenty of time to see a holiday 2013 release, or if they delay it, winter or spring 2014.

EDIT:

Now's lets look at this.

Namco has joined forces with Nintendo. Logic would dictate that it would take much less time.

However, they are currently making TWO separate games at the same time. This is why I think development will take such a long time.
I think you mean 2006, actually. And the games, while separate, will have many similar features, and will each have a team dedicated to working on it. There's no reason the games should be out later than 2014.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
Even with the

Now's lets look at this.

Even though they are working on two separate games that does not keep them from finishing one version of the game first. And the fact that they are working on them at the same time only pis better. Imagine having to wait for them to make each version one at a time. That would take hem much longer, but that's not the case.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
@ Hero
Nope. 2005. That was when we got our first look.
Even with the
Even though they are working on two separate games that does not keep them from finishing one version of the game first. And the fact that they are working on them at the same time only pis better. Imagine having to wait for them to make each version one at a time. That would take hem much longer, but that's not the case.
Thing is I think that is what we are getting, especially since Sakurai confirmed that they would interact in some way.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
@ Hero
Nope. 2005. That was when we got our first look.

Thing is I think that is what we are getting, especially since Sakurai confirmed that they would interact in some way.
Maybe the way of interaction is different than the way we all think it is. Maybe by interaction, he meant that we can transfer data from characters who will be in both games, such as Mario or Link.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Maybe the way of interaction is different than the way we all think it is. Maybe by interaction, he meant that we can transfer data from characters who will be in both games, such as Mario or Link.
How would that even work?

Blazeth

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, if this is true, which I am doubting, I think Smash on the 3DS would be different and would be single-player based.

So actually, it doesn't surprise me a whole lot if it comes out in early 2014.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

Now's lets look at this.

Smash games on average take about 2 years to develop for, Brawl did face issues during it's development, which caused the multiple delays. Pushing it back, causing it to be in development over 3 years
For SSB4 - Around September late, early October Sakurai did state in an interview that the game is essentially done. Of course we should also factor in Sakurai, and his injured arm hindering the game's progress. Depending on big of an impact is unknown to us, but still a hindrance none the less.

Yes, as you said with the help of Namco's various studios it is only logical to assume that the speed of the games development will be increased with the added manpower.

And yes it is also true, making two separate games at the same time will take more time and effort, than if it was just one title. BUT idt that it will be THAT long of a delay. Especially, if their engine is scalable. Heck, how long did take for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate to finish development?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
For SSB4 - Around September late, early October Sakurai did state in an interview that the game is essentially done. Of course we should also factor in Sakurai, and his injured arm hindering the game's progress. Depending on big of an impact is unknown to us, but still a hindrance none the less.
Where? That's awesome if so! I hope you've been keeping up with character popularity, Sakurai....

As for the 3DS game, I've lately been getting pretty excited about it. It in so many ways will surely be overshadowed by the Wii U experience, but it's definitely going to be something different and interesting.

Mo433

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mo4233
3DS FC
0173-2195-9739
I think if they aren't released at the same time, the 3DS version will come out first.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Where? That's awesome if so! I hope you've been keeping up with character popularity, Sakurai....

As for the 3DS game, I've lately been getting pretty excited about it. It in so many ways will surely be overshadowed by the Wii U experience, but it's definitely going to be something different and interesting.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/07/masahiro-sakurai-talks-super-smash-bros-4

I think he was asked about possibly making the next the next smash in 3D (Think Naruto: Ninja Storm games)

Sakurai said:
The game system itself is complete, so we don’t want to make it 3D or introduce complicated controls just for the sake of it. However, I am thinking of ways we can introduce a slightly different, fun experience all the while keeping the usual frantic game play.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Nope, 2006 was when we got the reveal trailer. The game didn't even begin development until late 2005, so kinda hard for it show up at E3 2005.
Doing some research, I find that you are right.

Apparently my sources were wrong.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
3D Mario & Mario Kart/Wind Waker will be out this year so im thinking either both Sm4shes release next year or the 3DS late this year and WiiU version next year.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
3D Mario & Mario Kart/Wind Waker will be out this year so im thinking either both Sm4shes release next year or the 3DS late this year and WiiU version next year.
Perfect for a Holiday release! Hmm... Good planing.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
There are like 3 teams from Namco working on Smash Bros. And I'm assuming Nintendo's second party studios like Monolith Soft and Hal Laboratory are helping out as well. Even in that Nintendo direct they confirmed that they wanted to accelerate the process of making Smash Bros. considering it's known to have really long development cycles- at least, Brawl did. Melee was rushed for launch for the Gamecube. Sakurai had no holidays and even on weekends he had to work on Melee for a straight year. With Brawl, he had no team. And eventually, Game Arts took over the development (at least most of it) while Hal Labs just provided the assets (character models, Melee "engine", etc)

For this Smash Bros, it does seem like one team from Namco is handling the graphical assets and another the gameplay mechanics while Sora Ltd also works on the latter. They even had a prototype of Smash Bros. 4 working last year. So, I'm guessing development is going very very smoothly with all the help. I do think the 3DS version may come out first before the Wii U game. Since the two are bound to connect to each other, I'm thinking the 3DS version will have some RPG elements when it comes to customizing your characters so then you can take them to the "stadium" that is the Wii U game. Look at it as Pokemon Red/Blue connecting to Pokemon Stadium. The 3rd team working on Smash Bros. are the folks who make the Tales of series of video games. I'm going to hazard a guess that they're handling the 3DS version for the most part.

Of course, these are just my thoughts and series from what I have observed over the past year. Work started probably in May. But that wouldn't make sense because Sakurai said around that same time that the prototype is looking excellent, made by Bamco. Maybe Nintendo enlisted them far ahead of time without Sakurai's knowing prior? Eh, who knows. All I know is that we'll be getting Smash Bros. 4 sooner rather than later. I'd probably say the latest being the Fall of 2014. Nintendo has other titles and have recently been spacing out their releases to avoid cannibalization of their software. And because Nintendo is in an urgent position with how the Wii U is doing, I have no doubt in my mind they're pushing Sakurai and the teams to get this game out asap. Just, thankfully this time, Sakurai doesn't have to work with a small team.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
i hope more that the game is good. Its funny how melee was rushed but it has more depth & replay value then brawl...
Don't forget Sakurai's time schedule: Working for 40 haours at a stretch, then sleeping for 4. :dizzy:

Top Bottom