• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skullbash is So terrible! - any reason to use it?

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
Is there ANY reason to use this move besides for an extra recovery option?
The reason I ask is because I was just playing a FG match as Pikachu and hit a Mario player who was at about 95%-100% with a fully charged Skull Bash and it didn't even kill..

Angiance

Smash Lord
It can be used for when we get knocked up high above our opponent, so that we escape to offstage. It's extremely useful for that

It's not for offense at all, it's purely for mobility

Soul.

You shouldn't be using Skull Bash as an offensive move. Pikachu lags after using it, leaving you open for punishes.
If you're using customs though (that is, if you play With Friends), Heavy Skull Bash is no doubt the best custom Side B. I heard it has a chance of breaking shields. This, however, does not mean you should be using Skull Bash (or any of its custom alterations) in an offensive manner.

Last edited:

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
It can be used for when we get knocked up high above our opponent, so that we escape to offstage. It's extremely useful for that

It's not for offense at all, it's purely for mobility
You shouldn't be using Skull Bash as an offensive move. Pikachu lags after using it, leaving you open for punishes.
If you're using customs though (that is, if you play With Friends), Heavy Skull Bash is no doubt the best custom Side B. I heard it has a chance of breaking shields. This, however, does not mean you should be using Skull Bash (or any of its custom alterations) in an offensive manner.
So its pretty much a useless special offensively. Hmm That sucks.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
it gives us the best horizontal and overall recovery in the game

that's more than enough

also you can go under stages like battlefield and FD with it

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
The only time to use skull-bash offensively is if the opponent is screwing around long enough for you to fully charge it. Otherwise, it should only be used as a recovery.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
A move called Skull bash is not meant to be used offensively.

Smash Logic.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
You can use it to fool your opponents. They would never expect you to use skull bash so you just might get a hit in just because they aren't expecting it.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
It shouldn't even have that move to begin with.

Especially sin it can no longer LEARN that move as of Gen 3!

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
I guess this Pikachu has Terrible IV's in its Attack stat. :(
i did that by accident once lol

i did edgejump into uncharged skullbash and it hit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzCOsjMB-cs&t=3m44s
Look at that knockback though. I know it was an uncharged but you were at 120% and he was at 74%, you'd think he'd get sent flying way further then what he did. But that was barley 1/4 of Final destination.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Random tip that makes the move more useful, especially with the Heavy Skull Bash.

If you smash the move, it skips about a fourth of the move's charge time. In the case of Heavy Skull Bash, this causes it to go from 7% damage uncharged to 15% damage when used at a relatively close range, and gives it KO power approximately equal to that of a sweetspotted, uncharged forward smash.

It has less start-up then forward smash, but more end lag, and is probably Pikachu's fastest KO move overall. It'll also do full damage at any range that a forward smash would've connected at.

Last edited:

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
If you break their shield, you can fully charge it for a pretty strong punish.

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
offensively skull bash from my experience is a wicked shield break punish and its a good anti ledge tool if their overcommiting hard on the ledge (which really isnt all that great)

i like using skull bash when edge guarding to zip back to the ledge to reobtain my jump so i can keep the off stage pressure up cause its a instant zip to the ledge when your close ish allowing you to so reposition a bit.

but yeah pretty much all the uses are already listed in this topic TBH i wouldn't advise using it much cause the end lag is crazy for hit being kinda lackluster.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
At least the hitboxes around the head were finally fixed. It pained me way too much to have it fully charged only to get stuffed out by a jab because of its previous negative priority.

Still a horrible idea to actually full charge it, but still, the concept of it man!

frownifdown

Smash Rookie
Skull bash is good to use when the opponent is rolling away from you as it has unexpectedly long range even when it's uncharged. I also use it when I've been using neutral B to get the opponents shield down a bit, then fully charge a skull bash. Sometimes the opponent will start holding shield as soon as they see skull bash being charged, and I've had a decent amount of shield breaks with it.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Skull Bash is good for horizontal recovery and for getting away from the opponent when you need to make distance. It's also surprisingly effective at catching opponents off-guard. This move should really not be landing some of the hits that it ends up landing lol.

It's not a very good move but if used right it creates openings. Don't bother using it for offense but use it as a general tool.

John Sorci

Smash Rookie
NNID
johnsorci
I use it to get back to the stage, anything outside of that punishes me HARD.

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
Skull bash is not useless. Skull bash can be utilized similarly like Falcon Kick to punish rolls. You can also think of Skull Bash as a long range Forward Smash. All the times you missed a Forward Smash because the opponent was out of reach, Skull Bash would have hit him. Also, it's nothing particularly amazing, but keep in mind when hanging on to the ledge, Pikachu also has the option to drop and Skull Bash in.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Good SB use takes more skill than a lot of things at Pika's disposal

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
In terms of the mechanics it's more like a long range F-Smash. The start up time is closer to a F-Smash and is as punishable as F-Smash. I guess in terms of knockback it's maybe in between F-smash and F-tilt but I don't see your point.

Last edited:

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Fair point, I'll stick with a long range less viable f-smash due to less damage and ending up in a more vulnerable spacing position. It's something to keep in you pocket but shouldn't use too much. And to be fair it also works in the air too, so maybe also ballsy edgeguards for kicks?

FAN XD

Smash Rookie
NNID
kawoXD
3DS FC
4270-0874-1848
i find you can also use it to punish people trying to roll away from you.

you can also surprise ppl from time to time by throwing it out at ranges just outside your attacks where they wouldn't expect to get hit. it's really punishable though so not really worth it.

Doroco

Smash Cadet
it beats bowser jr.s car drive thing by just bashing into it, so maybe theres more things like that it beats? probably jigs roll out too

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
It certainly has a niche but you shouldn't rely on it too much. Especially because it's one of the most punishable moves Pikachu has while simultaneously not having enough payoff most of the time to validate its use.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I admit there's a very satisfying feeling of nailing a Skull Bash, charged or not. Because no one wants or expects to eat one.

Hoe4u

Smash Cadet
I've found a 2 use for skull bash which have worked for me. In a case of ledge trumping if you've found you've lost the invincibility, as a stalling method, instead of direct quick attacking to the ledge you can skull bash just under the ledge to bait a punish to whiff you, then punish back once you snap the ledge.

In cases of people charging punishes, soft skull bash just outside of grab range and punish accordingly with thunder or from the ledge if you feel comfortable enough to hit your opponent in the tiny window

Belgrim

Smash Apprentice
Shocking skull bash is my favorite due to its multiple hits.

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
Skull bash's only offensive use is as an aerial 'dash attack', in that it can hit if a foe commits to an attack that cannot hit and you're able to punish. The best example I have is if a ZSS gets stuck charging a paralyzer that you're already above, or the like-- landing would be unsafe, double jumping would lose the window of opportunity, while skull bash can get a poke to her head while skimming over the paralyzer shot. If you ever screw up spacing in the air and need a gap-close, it functions as a dash attack in that regard: very unsafe and laggy, but if your enemy is guaranteed to be hit, it's potentially your fastest approach. That said, it's still really just meant as a movement utility-- I've done some testing when looking at Pikachu's recovery options by coincidence, but it only ever seems at all to have a purpose in gliding over projectile edge-guards that are done from too close or the like, which /happens/ to hit the foe. Though, it's sometimes a mite safer than quick attack, given that it at least doesn't put you into special fall.

BrianAure

Smash Cadet
I got to see esam go under smashville just with thunder (for some reason it goes through platforms) and skull bash to the other side. It was too hype. Other than that. Skull Bash is purely for mobility. Unless you want to show off and go to the other side of the stage ;o...

Only time I'd use it is when my opponent is a fan of abusing roll.

Hoe4u

Smash Cadet
Skull bash's only offensive use is as an aerial 'dash attack', in that it can hit if a foe commits to an attack that cannot hit and you're able to punish. The best example I have is if a ZSS gets stuck charging a paralyzer that you're already above, or the like-- landing would be unsafe, double jumping would lose the window of opportunity, while skull bash can get a poke to her head while skimming over the paralyzer shot. If you ever screw up spacing in the air and need a gap-close, it functions as a dash attack in that regard: very unsafe and laggy, but if your enemy is guaranteed to be hit, it's potentially your fastest approach. That said, it's still really just meant as a movement utility-- I've done some testing when looking at Pikachu's recovery options by coincidence, but it only ever seems at all to have a purpose in gliding over projectile edge-guards that are done from too close or the like, which /happens/ to hit the foe. Though, it's sometimes a mite safer than quick attack, given that it at least doesn't put you into special fall.
Skull bash gets beaten by jab though cause the hit box on pikas head is pretty much where his hurtbox is lol

One Tilt

Smash Apprentice
Skull bash gets beaten by jab though cause the hit box on pikas head is pretty much where his hurtbox is lol
Was only recommending it if they're locked into an animation (i.e. cannot respond), but when you can't otherwise reach them in time to punish that. ZSS's paralyzer or Link's arrow-charge or so on... not often that they'll happen to be causing helplessness with such a window, but I never said skull bash was anything I'd ever used more than once every dozen fights as an attack. Not much of an application, but it exists.

KDub

Smash Rookie
NNID
WeebsKC
The only time I use skull bash offensively is after a forward or back throw. I can skull bash into them instantly at lower percentages for some nice extra damage.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Ledge trump to skullbash :3.
This actually works and is relatively safe. The only other time I use skull bash offensively is *occasionally* when I am recovering to the edge and the opponent is literally standing on top of the edge. I'll aim ever so slightly above the ledge so that it hits the opponent. Even if they shield it, if you did this right you'll instantly grab the edge and be safe from follow-ups. This usually works when I do it because I use it as an infrequent, situational mix-up.

-_ellipsis_-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HCLargesse
Has anyone thought of skull bashing towards the blast zone following your opponent offstage? You get to position yourself for gimps pretty far out while still retaining your double jump.

Top Bottom