• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skillz: Part 1

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have skills. You have skills. Everyone has skills. Skill is a measure of how good one is at a given activity. In video games, versus modes are always designed around some level of skill. The sum of your skills defines you as a gamer. This is why fighting or battling in games is so exciting. Instead of fighting in real life, or participating in some sort of physical activity, we clash safely and in the comfort of our own homes by playing games.

Now for the question. How do we measure skill? Does a professional Baseball player have more skills than a professional Basketball player? Does a a professional Table Tennis player have more skills than the world leader of professional Star Craft? Honestly, it’s hard to say. Some would like to automatically assume that established sports require more from people than a video game ever could. I’m not so quick to judge.<!--more-->

In order to shed any light on this issue, we have to be able to compare skill from one activity to another. This is assuming that Skills, or a significant element of skill, is universal. Regardless of what you’re skilled in, I’ve come up five elementary categories to describe any kind of skill.

<strong>Dexterity</strong>: refers to the physical manipulation involved in the activity. Sports involve moving the body. Video games involve inputs whether from a controller, bongos, a steering wheel, a guitar, or any other type of controller. The faster and more accurately you can use the controller, the more dexterity you have. Stamina is also a factor. The player who can go all out on DDR for an hour, has more dexterity than the person who burns out on one song.

<a href="http://typingtest.com/default.asp" title="Test Your Dexterity">Test Your Dexterity </a>

Competitive Smash has quite a high level of dexterity compared to other video games. The triggers, control stick, and C-stick are analog. This means that they take various amounts of pressure that affect the game in various ways. It’s much harder to achieve some levels of pressure quickly on an analog input device. All the rest of the buttons are digital. This means there’s only one way to activate the button. You’re either pressing it, or you’re not. It’s either on of off. If you of a keyboard as a game controller, it’s easy to see where the dexterity overlaps. My wpm averages around 97 with peaks at 120.

<strong>Timing: </strong>refers to coordination actions and events in real time. Catching a Baseball out of the air requires timing to catch the ball properly. Gravity is one of the most important factors for timing in real life. Gravity is always present affecting all objects and people equally. In games timing can involve “gravity” too. Timing jumps in Mario involves the game’s gravity. In music/rhythm games timing is obviously essential.

<a href="http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/FFR_the_Game.php" title="Test Your Timing">Test Your Timing</a>

In Melee, everything takes time. Because the game runs in 60 frames per second, we describe timing in 1/60 second units called frames. Some attacks take1 frame. It takes some characters 3 frame just to jump off the ground. But even if you don’t think about timing in frames, you’re still aware of timing. Example. “FALCON” you know when you hear this that you have a small window of time to roll, shield, or attack before the “PUNCH!!!!!!!” The falcon punch is the same every time Falcon uses it. Just hearing the attack coming tells you how much time you have before things get dangerous. This is timing.

<strong>Knowledge:</strong> refers to any and all information, data, facts, theories, or ideas about a particular activity. In all sports involving balls, <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli%27s_principle" title="Bernoulli's Principle">Bernoulli’s Principle</a> comes in handy. You might look at the math involved with this principle and become dizzy or faint just thinking about it, but there are other ways to understand its ideas. Table Tennis is a great example. By hitting the ball different ways, spin and direction can be added to the balls trajectory. Also, sports involve the human body which is a very complex machine. The more you know about how your body works, the better you can make adjustments to become a more efficient player. This is why some professional sports players have personal coaches, food/diet coaches, and fitness coaches. It’s all part of the game.

<a href="http://www.funtrivia.com/quizzes/video_games/super_smash_brothers_games/super_smash_bros_melee*.html" title="Test Your Smash Knowledge">Test Your Smash Knowledge </a>

With Smash, the body isn’t as dynamic or as important of a factor. Video games are mostly internal or mental activities. But, if you’ve been reading the daily smashbrawl blogs, you know that there is a lot to understand about this game. Each character, item, and stage has pages and pages of data to learn. Beyond that, there’s situational data, styles, strategies, trends, and theories that can be studied. The more you know, the better player you are. Knowledge is power.

<strong>Reflex:</strong> refers to how quickly a player can react to a condition or event. Hockey players have to react quickly and accurately to stop the flying pucks from entering the goal area. Tennis players have to react to their opponents swings and the trajectory of the ball to properly return the play.

<a href="http://www.reflexgame.com/" title="Test Your Reflexes">Test Your Reflexes </a>

Smash is a fast paced game where every sound and minute movement is important. My reflexes are about .177 seconds. Fast reflexes help when trying to powershield projectiles, wave-land, shield, edge-guard, and do just about everything else in the game. Ultimately, to play as or against a character like fox, reflexes are a must.

<strong>Adaptation:</strong> refers to how quickly and effectively a player can adjust to a new situation. Unlike reflexes, adaptation generally takes a much longer time. Gathering and analyzing data in the heat of battle is important. In some sports, it’s up to coaches to analyze the game and come up with plans that adapt to their opponents style of play.

In Smash, everyone has a unique style. No two people play exactly the same. Figuring out your opponents weaknesses and strengths is essential to winning battles.

Between these five elements skill can be measured and compared. Though comparing the skill levels between unlike activities is still complicated, comparing Smash to Smash has become a lot clearer. Stay tuned for <a href="http://smashbrawl.com/2007/07/08/skillz-part-2/"><em>Skillz: Part 2</em></a> where I’ll break down and explain the all powerful “mind game.”

F

Falcofucker

2nd post…i hate yoshi for taking first post…great article…

S

Sneaky

I saw this when it came out, but comments were blocked at the time. :( So hurry up with part 2, I want to learn this “mind game”.

M

Maric Alistaro

Im going to have to disagree with this. Putting skills or generalization of skills into 5 catagories is shallow.

F

Falcofucker

Thats cuase you suck. Kirby knows his stuff…and we’ll twam up(just this once) to show you what an ass woopin is! YEAH!!!

J

Jammin

Hey the X and Y buttons are sensitive. This should mean that they aren’t just on/off, 0/1 or 12/-12 whatever it is.

S

Sneaky

No, it’s the L and R buttons that are sensitive. The X and Y are either on or off.

K

Karleko

Like Sneaky said, this proven by the fact that you can make your shield bigger or smaller.

X

Xion Glydus

Lol, I love how for the “test your timing” you linked to Flash Flash Revolution. A download of Stepmania would have done timing better justice, but I understand that you can’t make everyone download something as easily as just playing a flash game.

Great blog, btw!

S

sphyrox

awesome tests i liked flash flash revolution and the others too

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sneaky already explained it, but allow me to clarify. Yes you can short hop or full hop by hitting the X/Y buttons quickly. But be careful. The button is still either on or off. How quickly you go from on to off determines the short hop. It has nothing to do with button pressure.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I find that much of it is muscle memory (and this is with almost every activity). Muscle memory frees up your mind–instead of having to focus on what your hands are doing, you can focus on landing that combo. And a step above that, instead of focusing on the combo, you can focus on DI chasing. Muscle memory is also somewhat of an equalizer. You don’t have to have fast reflexes to be technical–once your fingers memorize the combinations, you can do Fox’s short hop with ease, waveshine across FD, and pull off fancy combos. Of course, dexterity determines your limits and how quickly you pick these things up.

J

John

It’s pretty obvious.

More wins=more skill

You worry too much if you think beyond that.

S

Sneaky

And those who worry not about it cannot succeed in the metagame.

S

Sneaky

The point is, people have different strengths and weaknesses in different aspects of life. It’s what makes us unique from others, and in most cases, awe-inspiring to those who do not share our traits. For me, I find those who can open their eyes underwater without getting burned as amazing people.

If you know that and do not care, be it real life or competitive Smash, you’re finished.

R

RC Hammer

Yeah, really John! Some people might have certain skills under certain conditions but might not have very god skills in other conditions! Gosh!

R

RC Hammer

“It use to be about skillz, now it’s about billz…”

I’ll… umm… I bet no one can tell me what the name of that song is and who wrote it… That’s one line out of it.

S

Super Smash Brothers Blog » Blog Archive » Skillz:

[…] Super Smash Brothers Blog Smash Bros. Brawl and beyond Welcome to SmashWorld! &laquo; Skillz: Part 1 […]

J

John

Yeah, if you can win more than another, you’re more skilled. Dodos.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I agree that the measure of skill should be based on tournament placement and overall wins, but this article (and the ones that are to follow) discuss the elements of skill, not just skill in general.

F

Falcofucker

My Mii and Falco vs Sneaky Shiek and Peach…event match # 134

S

Sneaky

Another skill: Knowing how to save yourself in ANY situation. And by that, I mean use glitches. Like when you hold A before beginning a match when you pick Zelda. You turn into Sheik.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Better skill: Having your username as Johnknight1! :p Anyways, I think I got the adaptation part down down, AT down, but everything else I have it pretty much down. Also, knowing how to handle yourself under pressure and in close situations is important=that is where I shine.

Top Bottom