• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SJSU Kyudo fundraising SSBM tournament 11/20

Sygmus

Smash Cadet
Come join us at SJSU for a Melee tournament in November, and support the recently started Kyudo (Japanese archery) club.

Location: San Jose State University's student union, third floor (we'll have signs). The club isn't allowed to collect money within the student union, so before the tournament we're meeting in the stage pit just outside, to take sign-ups and collect entrance fees.

Entrance fee:

singles: $5

Doubles: $10 total per team

Time:

Setting up/friendlies: 9:00am

Doubles tourny: 10:30am

Singles tourny: 1:00pm

We have enough TVs, but it would help if some people entering would also bring the game. Also try to bring your own controller, though we'll have a few extras.

We'll be selling snacks for those who want any.

If you have any questions, post them here.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
What are the payouts? Venue fee? Rules?
Do you need someone knowledgeable in the game to run the tournament?

joeplicate

Smash Master
you should probably talk to the people who ran the last (wildly successful) sjsu tournament

if you can get about 10 TVs that would be perfect
the more setups the better

Sygmus

Smash Cadet
Ah, sorry about the late response. Halloween parties and stuff, you know.

To be honest I'm not a pro at this, I suggested a Melee tournament (I play a lot of it, mostly Pikachu) and the president left me to organize it when I've only been to two myself. So if you want to help with organization and moderating things, I think the club would appreciate it a lot. Post here and come when we start setting up.

There isn't a pot, it's a fundraiser. Instead the president got a $50 gift card to Gamestop for the singles winner, and $25 gift cards to the winers of the doubles tourny. No big bucks, but you can always money match people during friendlies.

No venue fees, thankfully we got the rooms for free. But it is on a Friday, and we can only stay until 5pm. Well, ideally we want it to end sooner because three of our club members have a Friday class around 3:30, but it can run until we get kicked out at 5.

Okay, rules. Don't know what rule set Pound 4 refers to (I know I'm a newb, no need to say it), so I'll give you the rules. It's mostly pulled off the wiki, so I'm guessing it's standard.

Singles:

-Double elimination
- Timed stock, 4 lives and 8 minutes
-matches will be 2 out of 3. We want the final match to be 3 out of 5, but we need to be out of the rooms by 5 o'clock so depending on the time it might be 2 out of 3.
-If time runs out, player with most lives wins. If it's tied, player with less % wins. If that's a tie, players will play one sudden death round.
-Items off
-First round is a random stage out of the six neutral stages: FD, Battlefield, Dream Land, Yoshi Story, Pokemon Stadium, and Fountain of Dreams.
-Players choose characters double-blind for the first round, winner chooses first for second round. Loser gets to choose the next stage, no striking stages but there are banned stages and no picking the stage just played.
-Banned stages from picking:
Brinstar Depths
Flat Zone
Great Bay
Icicle Mountain
Hyrule Temple
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Yoshi's Island (N64)
Venom
Fourside
Mushroom Kingdom I
Big Blue
Mushroom Kingdom II
Rainbow Cruise

Doubles:
-similar rules to singles, except for the stages.
-4 lives, 10 minutes
-Team attack on

Neutral stages:
Yoshi's Story
Pokémon Stadium
Battlefield
Dream Land (N64)
Final Destination

Banned stages:
Brinstar Depths
Flat Zone
Icicle Mountain
Hyrule Temple
Yoshi's Island N64
Yoshi's Island (pipes)
Venom
Fourside
Mushroom Kingdom I
Big Blue
Fountain of Dreams
Mute City

And Fribjits, I'm sure you look fab in them. :D

Sygmus

Smash Cadet
If only one person shows up, you play me for the prize. :D

Speaking of which, the prize has been changed to Visa cards with the money on them. Basically, free cash to the winners.

Nekurbis86

Smash Journeyman
Look at those stages!!! I'm in!

EDIT:

nvm -- I confused the lists.
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey PIKACHU GUY

ur David right? pikachu, peach, marth player?

oh and just say Pound 4 rules because ppl who go to this tourney will agree

and its $25 visa gift for BOTH the team winners?

this tourney might be small but we better start HELLZA early if you want to finish on time

Sygmus

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I'm David, the PikaPeach player.

It seems we don't have everything quite organized. If some of you could bring games and memory cards, that would help us out a ton. I don't think we'd ever have enough time to unlock everything like 5 times.

pockyD

Smash Legend
you know after you start the game up you can take the memory card out of the cube and use it to start another game up

Top Bottom