• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Singing for Paradise Chorus Kids for Smash

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I kind of like these guys! Add me as a supporter, I rooted for them in the Smash 4 days. Just curious, how likely do you think they are?
I would give a Rhythm Heaven character a 95% chance of making it. I previously considered them a lock, but the emphasis on the ballot and the lower amount of newcomers hurts them a bit. They do have a lot going for them though. They are the biggest Nintendo series that doesn't have a playable character in Smash and could. Megamix came out in 2015 in Japan and sold pretty well over there. This means it was very relevant during the project plan's making. We also know one was planned for Smash 4. I can only guess they were cut for time, and if they already had developement done on them, why not just bring them back now? They would represent Rhythm games as a whole and have so much moveset potential as well. They were also the only series besides Ice Climber that was important enough to get an enemy in Smash Run and not a character. The one thing they have in their way is popularity and limited roster spots, but I still see them having a high enough priority to make it this time.

I would give the Chorus Kids a 50% chance. If the Gematsu leak was real, then they probably have a good shot of being the pick. They also seem to be more popular than a lot of other Rhythm Heaven characters, appearing in box arts and as an icon in a Nintendo Direct. They can also sing, helping them represent a music based franchise better.

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
wait what

big if true
kf.png

In fact it is even one of Nintendo's main franchises that have no character in Smash, remember that in Nintendo Badge Arcade there was almost the majority of the badges of all the sagas of Smash Bros except one, Rhythm Heaven.

If it happens to not be in this Smash either, it would be very strange rare for me to completely ignore the franchise making it incomplete.

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Badge Arcade, the series without Smash representation that are included in Badge Arcade are: Yo-Kai Watch, Boxboy, Pushmo, and Rhythm Heaven. The biggest of these four being Rhythm Heaven. The fact that Nintendo even added Rhythm Heaven into Badge Arcade shows that it is still considered one of their major IPs and that they haven’t forgotten about it. In fact the Chorus Kids badges were available yesterday, hehe.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

In fact it is even one of Nintendo's main franchises that have no character in Smash, remember that in Nintendo Badge Arcade there was almost the majority of the badges of all the sagas of Smash Bros except one, Rhythm Heaven.

If it happens to not be in this Smash either, it would be very strange rare for me to completely ignore the franchise making it incomplete.
Was that just in the Spanish/EU region website, or was it an international banner? Also, is RH notably popular in any territory?

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Speaking of Badge Arcade, the series without Smash representation that are included in Badge Arcade are: Yo-Kai Watch, Boxboy, Pushmo, and Rhythm Heaven. The biggest of these four being Rhythm Heaven. The fact that Nintendo even added Rhythm Heaven into Badge Arcade shows that it is still considered one of their major IPs and that they haven’t forgotten about it. In fact the Chorus Kids badges were available yesterday, hehe.
I'm pretty sure the team that created the badge arcade also created Rhythm Heaven, so there's a little bias there lol. Also, I have all the Rhythm Heaven badges :)

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I don't think popularity is an issue, at least with Japan, given Sakurai has already included the franchise within the game. So he's officially recognized Rhythm Heaven and if we go off of what we know, gave strong effort into giving us a fighter. But about what one of you were speaking about earlier, Smash Bros. has such a huge influence on Nintendo as a whole. So if the Chorus Kids got in, they would be the face of RH from this game forward instead of being some of the many apart of the ensemble.
Like look at all the adaptations with Captain Falcon and Robin. Cpt. used his Falcon Punch, which only existed in Smash, in places like the anime. Robin on the other hand, uses the same default male look and abilities that were used in Smash Bros. from then onwards.
So I hate to say it to those who think that Tibby or Karate Joe should deserve that spot, and they definitely have the right to, but if they get in the Chorus Kids would be the flagship characters for Rhythm Heaven.
(Not the DS game but...you know what I mean.)
no offense meant to the karatejoeheads, but these requirements are making our boys look pretty good

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1030100656172949504
Okay, yeah this exactly is why I prefer the Chorus Kids. While it may not seem like much, the whole 3 working "together now!" and noted for their singing brings much more of a unique appearance and potential for a moveset outside of the Tap Trial Girl and Karate Joe, despite me being extremely happy if they even got in.
There's not too much that those two can do innately compared to these alabaster children, and that's what won me over with these guys. While I'm not going to say that you can't create a moveset for these former characters, I mean look at Captain Falcon, Fox, and Mr. G&W, it's just they have less to work with compared to these guys. Like you already have movement, taunts, and a B special and/or a final smash right there, as opposed to the Tap Trial Girl and Karate Joe.

Last edited:

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I don't think popularity is an issue, at least with Japan, given Sakurai has already included the franchise within the game. So he's officially recognized Rhythm Heaven and if we go off of what we know, gave strong effort into giving us a fighter. But about what one of you were speaking about earlier, Smash Bros. has such a huge influence on Nintendo as a whole. So if the Chorus Kids got in, they would be the face of RH from this game forward instead of being some of the many apart of the ensemble.
Like look at all the adaptations with Captain Falcon and Robin. Cpt. used his Falcon Punch, which only existed in Smash, in places like the anime. Robin on the other hand, uses the same default male look and abilities that were used in Smash Bros. from then onwards.
So I hate to say it to those who think that Tibby or Karate Joe should deserve that spot, and they definitely have the right to, but if they get in the Chorus Kids would be the flagship characters for Rhythm Heaven.
(Not the DS game but...you know what I mean.)

Okay, yeah this exactly is why I prefer the Chorus Kids. While it may not seem like much, the whole 3 working "together now!" and noted for their singing brings much more of a unique appearance and potential for a moveset outside of the Tap Trial Girl and Karate Joe, despite me being extremely happy if they even got in.
There's not too much that those two can do innately compared to these alabaster children, and that's what won me over with these guys. While I'm not going to say that you can't create a moveset for these former characters, I mean look at Captain Falcon, Fox, and Mr. G&W, it's just they have less to work with compared to these guys. Like you already have movement, taunts, and a B special and/or a final smash right there, as opposed to the Tap Trial Girl and Karate Joe.
I keep forgetting Rhythm Heaven really isn't that niche over in Japan. I have to wonder why a rep from the series doesn't get requested more often for Smash over there then? I'm assuming the demographics don't line up or something? Either way, this is making me feel a lot more confident. There's no way they would just completely shaft Rhythm Heaven and give it no fighter, stage, assist, or item. If Sukapon can get an assist, I'm sure Rhythm Heaven would, and there's no reason not to have shown it off in the direct.

I completely agree about how the Chorus Kids bring much more to the table. I was always unsure if the Chorus Kids part of the Gematsu leak was real, but I'm starting to believe it had to be. He was already making a bold move by predicting a Rhythm Heaven character, so why the Chorus Kids? Any other person would have guessed Marshal, Karate Joe, or even the Wrestler. They were far more popular and recognizable. In the end though, he chose the Chorus Kids. Sure, maybe he just guessed at random, but the Chorus Kids are starting to make a lot of sense now. The singing, design, and moveset potential are not things I would predict a fake leaker to look into while picking a character for their fake leak. If a Rhythm Heaven character makes it, I think we can be confident it is the Chorus Kids. The best plus sold really well in Japan, so it was definately on Sakurai's radar. We just have to hope they have a high enough priority.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Basically the fan waiting for Chorus kid in smash hymn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHlRxVNkpVE

Especially these parts :
And there may come a time when I will hesitate, But waiting's part of life, now.
And
Could you please be the one, my carefree friend, yeah. Tonight I need my dreams to all come true. Please tell me if that sounds like a plan to you, yeah. I know that it may sound too simple to be true.

Last edited:

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
I am sure that something of Rhythm Heaven we will have, be a fighter or assist trophy, but we will have something, I think the ballot may have been useful for it even though it was not one of the highest rated characters, but some noise has made sure .

Last edited:

ChaosSharpedo

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChaosSharpedo
Switch FC
SW-8187-0600-4038
Chorus Kids look awesome and unique, and it's a shame they got cut from Smash 4. Add me to the supporters list.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
So do you think there would be any RH characters or bosses in the new mode?
I seriously doubt it, but it'd be kinda great to fight multiple sneaky spirits on a level based off the mini game.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I seriously doubt it, but it'd be kinda great to fight multiple sneaky spirits on a level based off the mini game.
I'd love to see it, but Rhythm just isn't popular enough to get one. There isn't really a boss character to work with aside from maybe Tibby's mom. If each series gets an area for the mode kinda like Melee adventure mode, then yeah, I could see the sneaky spirits thing happen. It could work just like the normal minigame but using attacks. They could also maybe do quiz, but that wouldn't represent the series well.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
it would be amzing if they could come up with a boss

Esquelen

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-1916-2977
Switch FC
SW-3004-0190-2265
If there are things of Rhythm Heaven in the adventure mode, I think it would be great to have a special zone that sounds this music to the rhythm of these enemies.

noise r us

Smash Rookie
so.... now that we have official 100% confirmation that sakurai is using the ballot for most of the picks this game, how do you think that fares for us? i'm sure the chorus kids did okay during the ballot at least, i remember seeing them around the top 20-30 in most fan polls. i don't really remember seeing any other rhythm heaven characters requests back then either, although i'm sure there was at least a few.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think the Kids probably performed pretty decently in the ballot, and with Sakurai probably having gotten work done with them, seeing the ballot validate his choice might just get them in.

LetterO

Smash Lord
so.... now that we have official 100% confirmation that sakurai is using the ballot for most of the picks this game, how do you think that fares for us? i'm sure the chorus kids did okay during the ballot at least, i remember seeing them around the top 20-30 in most fan polls. i don't really remember seeing any other rhythm heaven characters requests back then either, although i'm sure there was at least a few.
I don't think Sakurai's line of focus will specifically be on ballot winners. Otherwise I don't see how Richter made it in. I doubt he'd just leave Chorus Kids behind after most likely already planning some kind of moveset in 4.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
Well, Chorus Kids would've never gotten in due to the ballot. They would've always been picked for relevancy and for being an unrepresented IP that deserved a spot (or just because Sakurai wanted them). I believe they did at least get within the top 50 in the ballot though. The Gematsu leak really helped boost their popularity. What we really need to worry about is if he only looked at fighters with a big prevalence in the ballot. I think he'd at least add the Chorus Kids due to him wanting to add them in smash 4 and the great sales of RH megamix in Japan, but they might be the exception.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
From what I remember of some Japanese polls, a mention of a generic "RH character", the Chorus Kids, or Karate Joe would be thrown around a bit. Usually around the top 25.
Especially with the new 4chan results, I believe that they fell just slightly below characters like Shantae, so they're definitely on people's minds due to the Gematsu leak.
As far as Richter goes, it's probably because he's more of a popular character in Japan than Simon, so the team threw him in to compensate for their home country as he's the preferred Belmont.
I think Sakurai is still going to put characters that he wants to see in the game, and not just rely on the ballot. Again, we don't have the data for the official ballot, but I'm sure characters like Krystal and Zero made quite a lot of fanfare, yet they're still relegated to an AT instead of being playable.
And most of the characters we have now are Western based, so it's very possible that our choir of choice is making it in the game given how well Megamix did in Japan before the finalization of the design document. And as far as we know, they could've been fully completed or close to like the Ice Climbers but were taken out, so their series stuff was left behind.
Again, we have to wait and see. No one can completely predict Sakurai's roster decisions, so there's a chance we're wrong or like with DS and Chrom, we noticed the cues and evidence and he acknowledges it with their playable debut.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't think Sakurai's line of focus will specifically be on ballot winners. Otherwise I don't see how Richter made it in. I doubt he'd just leave Chorus Kids behind after most likely already planning some kind of moveset in 4.
Richter is pretty popular in Japan. Not hugely popular, but probably enough to warrant an Echo. Especially since so many of his signature moves were already being represented in Simon’s moveset.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
I'm honestly surprised people aren't talking about a rhythm heaven rep more. What with them representing one of the bigger series with no playable character, I thought most people would be talking about them. Also, with Sakurai attempting to, or at least planning to have a rhythm heaven character in smash 4 due to the emblem in the files, they seem like a lock to me. I can't imagine he would just abandon an idea he was obviously planning on implementing last time.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
I think I've discovered something? To be honest I don't feel like this means too much but since a lot of people seem to be taking that one Rathalos picture as an actual hint for Golden Sun representation, I may as throw my tinfoil hat into the ring.

LameTheory.png

So yeah, there's this one picture of the Squid Sisters assist trophy on the Smash Bros. Ultimate website, and it's framed somewhat similarly to the (original) Fan Club minigame. It could just be a simple allusion to real-life pop concerts, but the similarities are there. If we're going take this "hint" seriously, I suppose (HAR HAR HAR) that this could be a sign of some sort of Rhythm Heaven rep getting in.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think I've discovered something? To be honest I don't feel like this means too much but since a lot of people seem to be taking that one Rathalos picture as an actual hint for Golden Sun representation, I may as throw my tinfoil hat into the ring.

View attachment 159369

So yeah, there's this one picture of the Squid Sisters assist trophy on the Smash Bros. Ultimate website, and it's framed somewhat similarly to the (original) Fan Club minigame. It could just be a simple allusion to real-life pop concerts, but the similarities are there. If we're going take this "hint" seriously, I suppose (HAR HAR HAR) that this could be a sign of some sort of Rhythm Heaven rep getting in.
Had those three Kirbys been Diddy Kongs instead, I would be inclined to believe that it is a direct reference to the Fan Club game.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Could be a reference maybe, but what made the rahtalos pic special is that sakurai specifically tweeted it making it even more suspicious.
The kirbys heads and ears kinda give a similar shape as the monkeys from Fan Club but like BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 said Diddys would have been a better choice.
Edit : That said, 3 Diddys would have maybe make it way to obvious to be a hint.

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Add me to the list!

I think they have cute and fun designs and would work excellently in Smash. I'm hoping either Chorus Kids or Marshal make it in to rep Rhythm Heaven. It's really deserving of a rep imo.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
If the Chorus Kids get in, they're going to need to have this as their lose screen animation while the controllable one claps happily:
DizsuOjUYAA_ukQ.jpg
Any taunts or win screen animations you would like to see out of them? I definitely want to see the MegaMix artwork as a Victory Screen or as their render.

HaunterSpencer

Smash Cadet
NNID
HaunterSpencer
3DS FC
3583-3585-6107
Imagine how unique their moveset will be:
-You need to press buttons multiple times (including Smash attacks!) to get their full sweet spot
-Missing a beat causes less dmg and sour spot :(
-Special attacks are co-pressed with basic attacks, its like your playing with the Konami code LOL (Like B, B ~ A A A)
Read-Y and TAP, TAP, TAP!

Congrats we created the character with the most high skill ceiling ^^ (ADD ME TO THE SUPPORT LIST I NEED MY 3 CUTE SONS)

also their final Smash should be called "ULTIMATE REMIX" Lmao

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If the Chorus Kids get in, they're going to need to have this as their lose screen animation while the controllable one claps happily:
Any taunts or win screen animations you would like to see out of them? I definitely want to see the MegaMix artwork as a Victory Screen or as their render.
perhaps they could all give that looks to another fighter as a taunt

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
For a win screen I could totally see them falling on top of eachother We Bare Bears style to form the Megamix artwork like you said. Maybe they could do other poses like The Dazzles. I'd really like to see your lose screens a taunt, too

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Last edited:
Top Bottom