• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SING cancelling?

jas3

Smash Apprentice
it's when you ledge-hop and then sing. stay by the edge of the stage cuz u will still grab the ledge.

if someone is near the edge u can put the to sleep and grabbing the ledge cancels the lag so u can rest them or whatever.

pablovirus

Smash Journeyman
You mean Jigglypuff's sing? If so, I don't think you can L cancell that, since Special moves can't be L-cancelled.
Maybe it has to do with Edges

Edit: slow

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah so basically jiggs has an infinite stall. some day when i'm playing friendlies (and the time limit is off) i feel like infinite singing someone with jigglypuff lol.

i heard one time that it's not an infinite stall? is that true? or is it infinite?

the reason i posted is so someone can clarify lol

YAYUHZZZ

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Is it also banned to lock a space animal into an infinite shine using Fox's lasers?

Awex

Smash Lord
I would expect just as a stall tactic it's banned. Similar to rising pound, wobbling, wallbombing, ect..

My question is.. Is this technique actually useful? Like, will ledgehop + sing work against anyone?

I T I

Smash Apprentice
I've used it to some effect in friendlies. Usually against like a Ganon who is trying to edgeguard me for some reason. :<

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
My question is.. Is this technique actually useful? Like, will ledgehop + sing work against anyone?
I think that this tactic is most effective in getting an edgegrab while an opponent is recovering
(like dash->sing->edgegrab which causes your opponent to get owned by not grabbing the edge =] )

TheLegend

Smash Ace
It lets Jiggs sweetspot the ledge.. PrinceZane saw me do some cool stuff w/ this at Inn5... you can ask him about it.

It can also be used to keep ppl too close to the ledge away for fear of being forced into catching up on some zzz's.

numberonenacho

Smash Lord
it could be useful if the match is timed, and your up a stock then you can stall the whole match and win.
or in teams, and let the other person charge something to hit.

knuttz45

Smash Ace
There are three useful applications for this.

Pros:

1. Sing cancel>rest
If you can catch someone with the sing cancel on the edge, you will put them to sleep.

2. Instant edge cancel.
If you can do it right, run off the edge and sing. It is like yoshis jump edge cancel. you will instantly grab the edge.

3. Backwards Edge grabbing.
If your back is faced toward the edge, just sing cancel. Since sing has one animation, it doesn't matter if you are facing toward or away from the edge. This can be used for mindgames, face forward while floating against the edge, sing cancel to instantly grab the edge, then bair.

Cons:
1. Easily Edgehogged:
If someone is on the edge, and you sing, you WILL fall.

2. You have to be within grabbing distance.
If to do it too far, you miss the edge, and can't recover.

3. Leaves you open for a hit if someone is close:
Self explaning. If you do it, and you are too high...get ready to get a hit, or comboed.

Overall:
I personally use sing canceling as a part of my game. Very rarely will I try to catch someone with the sing part, but I use it to grab the ledge if I'm facing the opposite direction. It adds another element to my edge game.

PnoyRJay

Smash Rookie
Easiest way to do the instant sing edge grab is to slightly hold the stick diagonally up.
Just enough that you run, but still holding stick diagonally.
That gives you a better chance not to jump.

Sliq

Smash Master

Massive

Smash Champion
I've been fiddling with sing cancelling lately too.

You should use it on every level, not for edgehog, but for ledge-grabbing. It lets you sweetspot the edge lower than normal and you can grab the edge even backwards (this was said about 10x already lol). By hitting sing when jigg's ear just passes the edge of the stage you can grab the edge without the animation going off at all. (The grab range appears to be the sing hitbox, its pretty fancy if you can a good estimate of the size of it)

Try spamming bairs onto the stage from the edge and going back to the edge, instagrabbing it.
Even better, knock somebody off the side and retreating fairspam them to keep them from the ledge, and then ledgehog with your back toward the stage. Makes you feel pretty **** 1337.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
its not infinite and shouldnt be banned. it is theoretically possible to break out of. you just have to be able to break out fast. at 0% you can break out of it by rotating the control stick 6 times (there is 1 extra frame left over, but that will deteriorate from the time rotating the stick anyways). i still need to test to see if cstick works in the same way (i have a hunch it does) in which case it would only take 3 rotations of each. each 5% adds 10/24 of a stick rotation. 102.5% would have exactly 15 rotations of the control stick to break out.

this is based off most characters, jigglypuff and kirby take a little longer while mewtwo takes a little shorter.

Sliq

Smash Master
I've been fiddling with sing cancelling lately too.

You should use it on every level, not for edgehog, but for ledge-grabbing. It lets you sweetspot the edge lower than normal and you can grab the edge even backwards (this was said about 10x already lol). By hitting sing when jigg's ear just passes the edge of the stage you can grab the edge without the animation going off at all. (The grab range appears to be the sing hitbox, its pretty fancy if you can a good estimate of the size of it)

Try spamming bairs onto the stage from the edge and going back to the edge, instagrabbing it.
Even better, knock somebody off the side and retreating fairspam them to keep them from the ledge, and then ledgehog with your back toward the stage. Makes you feel pretty **** 1337.
Sing is the only way Jigglypuff can sweet spot the edge. Plus it alows to the ability to tech (if you were just jumping and hit r or l to tech, you could air dodge).

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
ive teched with puff while jumping... you just have to tech after the hitstun before you move too far :p

Sliq

Smash Master
ive teched with puff while jumping... you just have to tech after the hitstun before you move too far :p
Yeah, but its much safer to sing and then go for the tech, and also a lot easier.

Sliq

Smash Master
I dunno. I want to go, but I might be ***** by homework.

Top Bottom