• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

simple sonic impressions (a couple edits)

shortwanabelaker

Smash Journeyman
I got the game yesterday (from a store that didnt care about the street date) and ive been playing sonic for about 6 hrs.. kinda already knew what to do from the zillions of vids ive been watching.

Let me start off by saying soinc is AWESOME. Hes not the easiest character to use but hes annoying as hell, in more than one way.

sonic SUX in FFA matches w/o items. with items hes only good as long as there is minimal fighting. 1v1 hes a much much better character since u have to focus his speed and ridiculously weak attacks on one person.

First of all, sonic has zero priority. yoshi's side b has more priority than possibly all of sonics attacks. that being said.. sonic is still decent.

also sonics air momentum is terrible. he goes up and down alrite but side to side he doesnt move much.

the kill moves
as u all know sonic only has 3 killing moves:
fsmash kills at like 120ish i think
dmash kills at about 140?
and bair kills at 160

fsmash is pretty easy to spam. especially against heavyweights
bair is kinda annoying to pull off but its good when u get the timing down.
dsmash gets owned usually.. but its ok if u can get it off.

edit: the running attacks

running usmash is amazing. since u have to start it soo far ahead due to sonics ground speed, by the time u get to them it has already started. its a pretty good air combo starter and will kill at extremely high percents (which may not be too rare for characters against sonic)

dash attack has absolutely crap knockback and damage. but its still really good. its sooo quick that u can get it off while people are in the middle of an attack. works well as a nusance or kind of a gimp.

the uair
i must admit.. usmash to uair to uair to uair is so much fun to pull off, buts its practically impossible to do on a non sandbag opponent. it still combos pretty well..

the fair
probably the best move overall. when in doubt, fair. it put a good amount of damage and has enuf knockback so that u have time to recover from it. its possible to chain two i think

the dair
dont do this near the edge. surprisingly people do actually get hit by this but not the greatest move, use it carefully

the grab game
all of sonics throws suck. back throw throws them decently far but its not anything special.
but sonics grab game is still pretty good for racking up damage. hes incredibly fast so running past ur opponents isnt that hard nor rare. and with pivot grabbing, sonics grab game is pretty good. he can roll chase with grabs really well. he cant combo with throws though as far as i know.

edit: up throw and forward throw actually work pretty decently as combo starters if u continue with up or forward ariel attacks. also i love the down throw roll chase. if u add in a couple punches, each grab to downthrow shud add 14%.. not too bad id say

the spin dashes
both are pretty much the same.. oens a bit faster, the other jumps into it kinda.. i cant pull off that spindash hit --> jump --> bair combo that everyone seems to be doing. it only works against certain character? but nair or fair or uair work well instead of bair. side b is pretty good for recovery.

edit: the spin dashes are immune to some random things, not sure what tho.

the spring spike
doesnt work all the time but i believe if the red part of the spring hits them it could be devastating. also fun to do and annoying to those done to. not shine spike annoying, more like wth!? annoying.

edit: the dodge game
i cant believe i forgot the most important part about sonic (next to the tanut). sonics fast and all, but hes also pretty light. in order to play a good sonic you have to be very good at ground and ariel dodges. Most important is the spot dodge. im not saying that this is hard to learn, im just saying that if u dont do it ur sonic is gonna suck.

the side taunt
omg this must be the coolest taunt ever. i was spamming it in a with anyone wifi match and wow they all just came for me. very very annoying and awesome at the same time.

did anyone get the "the" reference?

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Check out my thread for a more in-depth view of all the attacks, as well as percentages.

Short, uthrow is great. 12 damage off a throw? Yes please. Dthrow is great for tech-chasing, the others are meh.

Top Bottom