• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple Falco shine problem

GREENTHUMB

Smash Apprentice
When doing waveshine comobos I can't waveshine backwards out of my shine.

I always just shine turn around. I can waveshine forward basically perfectly tho. When they enemy di's behind me I usually just waveshine in place and follow from there but I want to figure out this little glitch in my gameplay.

i use b down x and r.

Any suggestions or tips?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i think whats happening is that you're hitting the backward direction before hitting jump and while in the turn animation you hit jump so it doesnt register. i cud be wrong, the same thing happens to me occasionally. I fix it by just making sure to jump first

alternatively, you could intentionlly just turnaround and then waveshine forward in that direction.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
Actually what it is more likely is a frame problem. He is jumping out and hitting back at the same time, causing Falco to go into a backwards jump animation rather than a standard jump animation. His backwards jump is something like two frames slower, so it messes up the timing. I solved this a while ago by always holding slightly forward in shines before jumping out to ensure that I am always doing the normal jump animation, and therefore getting the normal timing for the wavedash out of the shine every time. It just requires a little more speed on the joystick because after you start the jump, you have like, 5 or 6 frames to snap the joystick backwards so you can wavedash in that direction.

GREENTHUMB

Smash Apprentice
thanks guys, I think your right I think I need to work on keeping the stick center or like you said slightly forward before I go back. Its just hard cause after down b I slide the sitck straight backwards instead of centering the click.

Spaceman_Spiff

Smash Cadet
I think it's probably what JPOBS said, if you dont want to change direction you have to press jump before back on the joystick.

If you're newish to falco it might be helpful to think of wavedashing out of shield, if you tend to screw up and roll then i can all but guarantee this is your problem. concentrate on hitting jump before entering a direction.

Edit: If you can wavedash OOS perfectly then try pretending you're doing that when moving in your shine. Works for me.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Actually what it is more likely is a frame problem. He is jumping out and hitting back at the same time, causing Falco to go into a backwards jump animation rather than a standard jump animation. His backwards jump is something like two frames slower, so it messes up the timing. I solved this a while ago by always holding slightly forward in shines before jumping out to ensure that I am always doing the normal jump animation, and therefore getting the normal timing for the wavedash out of the shine every time. It just requires a little more speed on the joystick because after you start the jump, you have like, 5 or 6 frames to snap the joystick backwards so you can wavedash in that direction.
I didn't know that you can jump out of a shine backwards. I always figured that you either turn around (in the shine) then jump or jump out of the shine facing forward.

Then again my two thumbs suck at synchronized movement, so it's no wonder jumping out backwards has never happened to either my fox or falco.

CrypTik

Smash Journeyman
Jumping backwards does not exist. You have to turn around before jumping.

IT's obvious that you're pressing back before Jumping. I had this problem too. Just slow it down a bit. Falcos Waveshine isn't really all that fast. Focus on jumping before holding back.

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
Jump. Watch the animation. Jump backwards. Watch the animation. There is a pretty clear difference.

XxDarkzeroxX

Smash Rookie
vicious end is right about "back jumps" being possible but the difference seems negligible between a back jump and neutral/forward jump out of shine for it to affect any aspect of your gameplay.

Top Bottom