• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SilentDoom: The Future of Shulk in Smash 4 + Clearing the Misconceptions

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Competition does not belong in gaming to begin with. Gaming is about having fun, and it's not fun when someone insults you because you play Duck Hunt, or because you play on Gaur Plain, or because you don't turn items off. There needs to be a balance between it and the fandom is so divided on casual vs. competitive that neither side will ever win. I find competitive Smash discussion to be completely pointless and boring. Play the character as you like to play, because *NEWS FLASH* everyone plays differently. Following some guy on the internet in how he plays doesn't mean you're going to get any better with said character. I find his points about Shulk, the character I MAIN, mind you, to be utterly pointless. Yes, he makes good points, but that's not how I play. I personally favor the more high-risk high-reward of using Smash Mode if I think I can gain something out of it. But to endlessly use time to play a game, which is a toy, mind you, is ridiculous. Go do something else instead of spending every waking moment trying to beat someone else, because in the end, what do you gain from beating another player? Nothing.

Oh really? Name when a single competitive player has been bullied. Prove it.
Its already been said that "fun" is subjective so im not gonna argue that point.

As far as i've seen VERY few competitive players make fun of character choice. In fact i see that more in casuals or For Gloryers but the fact you know more people like that than the real players (aka not the jackholes you are talking about here) makes me feel for you. However that still doesn't excuse your attitude to all competitive and your My-opinion-is-better-than-yours mentality

And yes some parts of Smash are divided. I don't personally care as everything involving humans is divided in some way so not really a topic im gonna get into as i could preach for hours on this and i dont feel like typing that much. Anyway you realize you saying one side of the divide shouldnt exist is precisely the problem, right? Probably not as i know you'll ignore half my points and repeat yourself at me again like in the post i've quoted.

"I find competitive smash topics pointless and boring." Alright. IDGAF. I find your slandering of people ignorant and contradictory. Do you care? Nope. Ok 10/10 best point neva.

"Everyone plays differently" Ok? I play Pikachu, Bowser, and Mewtwo. Diverse enough for ya? You clearly dont do much research if you think we are against people using different characters. Watch a Sm4sh tourney sometime and please tell me you don't see a diversity in the characters used. You probably just think everyone uses Diddy Kong. Once again i sense ignorance instead of an informed opinion.

Finding other peoples videos useful is completely subjective. You dont find tips for your character useful? Um. Ok? Im sorry that you don't find a competitive players tips on a character useful for your casual playstyle i guess..... And thats not how you play? Then dont take his advice. Its not complex and i dont get why this fuels your hate for competitive.

"Too endlessly use time to play a game is ridiculous." See, i choose to respect other people's lifestyles. But hey feel free to stay on your high horse and judge others.

Anyway im not gonna convince you to respect other people or thier opinions which is really what this is coming down to so im through. Have a nice life judging others while i do what i love.

Last edited:

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
great keybladeguy just started a war. I guess we're not talking about shulk anymore -_- no offense guys but we should just ignore that fool.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
great keybladeguy just started a war. I guess we're not talking about shulk anymore -_- no offense guys but we should just ignore that fool.
Sorry :). So how high does everyone think Shulk could get on an official tier list? Not that it matters of course but im curious. I think he could easily be high mid-tier when people really start to break down his character and learn how to utilize his skillset better.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Sorry :). So how high does everyone think Shulk could get on an official tier list? Not that it matters of course but im curious. I think he could easily be high mid-tier when people really start to break down his character and learn how to utilize his skillset better.
I think he'll likely end up like Yoshi in Melee.

Mid-tier and doesn't see wide use until someone comes out the blue and starts beating everyone with him.

ApathySSB

Smash Apprentice
Will always be a shulk main, through and through. Might not be my dominant main but he's a lot of fun to play and he takes a lot of thought to use efficiently.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
I think he'll likely end up like Yoshi in Melee.

Mid-tier and doesn't see wide use until someone comes out the blue and starts beating everyone with him.
I am a Shulk main, and I'm 100% fine with him being mid tier... I kinda always knew he would be around there, just considering how hard it was for me to get a handle on him in the first place. Now that I can actually use him, I just love playing him. It's just so cool to see him in at all; it's like the ultimate fanservice.:)

Eureka

Smash Ace
When considering future viability for Shulk, it must be considered what the effects of future patches will have on him. The very first balance patch gave him a much, much needed buff to his damage and Manado Arts, but the second one has left him untouched. It's possible ther Nintendo will improve Shulk's autocancels to match up with the ending lag. I think Nintendo may be hesitant to buff him again though, since he got such massive buffs in the first patch and Nintendo seems to think that things that require skill are automatically better then those that don't. Robin is an especially bad example as the arbitrary awful run speed and grab range are a direct result of overestimating what Robin could do with a skilled player. Alternatively, he could get nerfed if the Shulk metagame improves to the point that lower skill players can't get around his range, which would be terrible (the nerfs I mean, not the improvement of Shulk's gameplay).

Last edited:

LovinMitts

Smash Journeyman
Considering the original point of my original post (which is blatantly getting ignored, it seems - not that that's a bad thing), I don't think it counts as spam.

RANT TIME

As someone who's suffered time and again at the hand of the bully that is competitive Smash, I feel that Smash's competitive community needs to cease to exist, especially when it's own creator was so fed up with it that he made one game in the series ANTI-competitive.

Plus, I'm still pretty upset at the Melee fans for what they did to Zero at APEX. For those few listeners who subscribe to me on Youtube or listen to Podzilla 1985, I feel that Smash is one of gaming's most disgusting and toxic communities.

It's not a technical strategy game. The fans of the fighting game genre made it that way. Sakurai himself literally said it's a PARTY TITLE.

The whole point of a game is to have fun. When you're so obsessed with making someone else lose, with beating them, then it takes away what the game is there for: FUN.
Oh you poor victimized soul. You're talking about people not respecting how you play the game, but you're just as bad. I'll cut you some slack though. You must be new here.

IsGamer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
IsGamer
3DS FC
0490-6907-6386
Shulk is my 3rd main and this video did help me in some few aspects, I am not fond of knowing frame data since it's a little bit confusing for me, but at least I know some few more tricks with the monados, which is what I was searching for SINCE FOREVER.

Lord Xanthan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Master_Xanthan
just hope they nerf him.
Pretty funny you would say that since most tier lists place Shulk as mid-tier and Yoshi as high-tier. So with your logic I guess Yoshi needs a nerf as well. Or, what would be ideal is that both characters are left alone.

Last edited:

Slurzen

Smash Cadet
Pretty funny you would say that since most tier lists place Shulk as mid-tier and Yoshi as high-tier. So with your logic I guess Yoshi needs a nerf as well. Or, what would be ideal is that both characters are left alone.
try countering his down b in a middle of a combo. good shulks never really miss that oppurtunity. plus, tiers do not matter, just how som1 plays.

Lord Xanthan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Master_Xanthan
try countering his down b in a middle of a combo. good shulks never really miss that oppurtunity. plus, tiers do not matter, just how som1 plays.
Well, Shulk is combo food for a lot of characters, so he needs something to stop it, otherwise he'll just get combo'd all day. Plus, his counter can miss if you are at the wrong angle. On top of that, if you are quick enough, you can actually spot dodge or air dodge Shulk's counter. Plus, if you don't care about tiers, then you shouldn't care about nerfs. Just improve with your own character rather than calling for nerfs.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
try countering his down b in a middle of a combo. good shulks never really miss that oppurtunity.
Good Shulks wouldn't see it at an opportunity unless the opponent is being predictable. It's a risk. Counter is always a risk for either side.

I don't see your point.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Considering the original point of my original post (which is blatantly getting ignored, it seems - not that that's a bad thing), I don't think it counts as spam.

RANT TIME

As someone who's suffered time and again at the hand of the bully that is competitive Smash, I feel that Smash's competitive community needs to cease to exist, especially when it's own creator was so fed up with it that he made one game in the series ANTI-competitive.

Plus, I'm still pretty upset at the Melee fans for what they did to Zero at APEX. For those few listeners who subscribe to me on Youtube or listen to Podzilla 1985, I feel that Smash is one of gaming's most disgusting and toxic communities.

It's not a technical strategy game. The fans of the fighting game genre made it that way. Sakurai himself literally said it's a PARTY TITLE.

The whole point of a game is to have fun. When you're so obsessed with making someone else lose, with beating them, then it takes away what the game is there for: FUN.
Legit, why are you even on this site?

EDIT: Sorry, that sounds a bit harsh. Look, I'm sorry, but this website is predominantly populated by competitive/ competitive aspiring players. It seems rather silly to bash the competitive community on a website mostly populated by competitive players, on a news post that is revolved around the competitive metagame.

Also, a lot of people DO have fun when playing competitively. Otherwise we wouldn't do it.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Shulk is probably one of the most interesting characters in this Smash. So it would be nice to see more Shulk players in competitive play. I think that can be said for a few newcomers, but for Shulk especially.

I'm no pro myself, but he's either pretty fun to fight against, or really hard to deal with. Not sure what that says all in all though.

CelloLuCC

Smash Apprentice
I'm just laughing at all the people who post a generic shulk meme joke and are waiting for the likes they're not gettting

shadowcontroller

Smash Apprentice
I currently main Shulk and I must say that the biggest struggle that I've had when facing players that are obviously better than me, is that Shulk sometimes can't keep up with the pace of other characters' combo game (and sometimes projectiles :( ). With that said, I still think that he is very versatile and the Monado arts let him have an 'unexpected' way of fighting... Maybe I just need more practice and change the tactic that is used against those characters.

CelloLuCC

Smash Apprentice
I just don't understand why people can't just let the competitive community alone and vice versa ._.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I currently main Shulk and I must say that the biggest struggle that I've had when facing players that are obviously better than me, is that Shulk sometimes can't keep up with the pace of other characters' combo game (and sometimes projectiles :( ). With that said, I still think that he is very versatile and the Monado arts let him have an 'unexpected' way of fighting... Maybe I just need more practice and change the tactic that is used against those characters.
NAir is your friend ;)

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
while constantly promoting a competitive scene that Nintendo itself doesn't even want.
I bought the game. Now I own it. Why should I care how Nintendo wants me to play it? I'll play it how I want to play it. If that entitles creating a competitive scene, then so be it.
1. I feel that Smash's competitive community needs to cease to exist

2. especially when it's own creator was so fed up with it that he made one game in the series ANTI-competitive.
1. I find this offensive

2. and look how well Brawl turned out ;)

Edit: I didn't see your post IsmaR; I'm sorry :(

Last edited:

Eureka

Smash Ace
Sorry. .-.

Anyway, I feel like Shulk is one of the most underused characters currently. I can tell that the Arts have so much unnoticed potential.
There's definitely a lot that hasn't been explored, but at the end of the day there's no Art that improves his frame data, which will always be his biggest obstacle. I think Shulk is a good character, but you put him up against the likes of Sheik, Sonic, and Villager, and he struggles immensely.

CelloLuCC

Smash Apprentice
the big problem I see that isn't answered from what I've seen is when to pull up monado arts when your against a fast char like falcon or sheik

Lord Xanthan

Smash Cadet
NNID
Master_Xanthan
the big problem I see that isn't answered from what I've seen is when to pull up monado arts when your against a fast char like falcon or sheik
I would use Speed Art (Blue) against Falcon and Sheik so you can keep up with them.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
There's definitely a lot that hasn't been explored, but at the end of the day there's no Art that improves his frame data
I thought speed art did that. Am I getting pseudo'd?

I'm just laughing at all the people who post a generic shulk meme joke and are waiting for the likes they're not gettting
cough90007000coughcough

Eureka

Smash Ace
I thought speed art did that. Am I getting pseudo'd?
No, but your likely getting placebo'd. Joking aside Speed Art does just that, increases his speed. It also decreases his jump night and reduces his damage slightly. It does not make his moves come out faster or end sooner.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
No, but your likely getting placebo'd. snip
Lol.
When I played against Shulk, I thought his frame data was improved by speed art. I had no idea it wasn't affected at all. Well that's too bad.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
Agreed with the video. I too have been using Shulk since the beginning and I feel it still needs more learning.

Mike Voss-Trikstar

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mikevoss7
3DS FC
4098-4453-7864

RANT TIME

Competitive Smash isn't going to go away. Deal with it.
Why are you on this site anyway?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
@ competitive players - Go play Street Fighter you tryhard kids! Items are fun! Stop trying to make my fun party game srs business because it will never be a fighting game!

@ casual players - Stop using Ike you stupid kid and turn items off, fight like a real man! Omegas + BF only or gtfo.

Stupid argument, I won't lie, I couldn't decide on who to make fun of, enjoy.

Real talk, imagine if melee was remade with new content and item switch wasn't an option?

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
@ competitive players - Go play Street Fighter you tryhard kids! Items are fun! Stop trying to make my fun party game srs business because it will never be a fighting game!

@ casual players - Stop using Ike you stupid kid and turn items off, fight like a real man! Omegas + BF only or gtfo.

Stupid argument, I won't lie, I couldn't decide on who to make fun of, enjoy.

Real talk, imagine if melee was remade with new content and item switch wasn't an option?
So, basically Project M if they removed items completely?

Honestly, though, something like that would be pretty cool. I'd certainly try it out myself.

CelloLuCC

Smash Apprentice
I feel sorry for the OP cuz his thread turned into a flame war haha

on the topic of shulk is his side b usable? It feels like yoshi's down b to me

Last edited:
Top Bottom