• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sigma Busters (Name Pending): Official Discussion Thread

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
You could also consider giving everyone a 4th Hypermax to serve as an insta-KO after meeting certain conditions like the Instant Kills from Guilty Gear and Persona 4 Arena.
May be too complicated, but I do like Hypermax Attacks having a special animation/victory screen if you get the last KO with them.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
May be too complicated, but I do like Hypermax Attacks having a special animation/victory screen if you get the last KO with them.
More a matter of time rather than complexity. You could make the condition as simple as the difference between a regular Level 3 and a Critical Art in Street Fighter 6. If you're health is low enough (or percent is high enough in this case) you get the Lv4 instead. Still the same meter cost, but it requires you to be on your last legs.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
More a matter of time rather than complexity. You could make the condition as simple as the difference between a regular Level 3 and a Critical Art in Street Fighter 6. If you're health is low enough (or percent is high enough in this case) you get the Lv4 instead. Still the same meter cost, but it requires you to be on your last legs.
May be something to add later, I am quite happy with what we have for Hypermax Specials right now.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
--- EDIT: This write up began before you notified me that you'd gone ahead with the sprite work for Aremi and we're looking to drop Ahab. However, I decided to include their reworks anyway. Development is still fairly early, so I figured I'd leave them in, in case you changed your mind on anything. ---

--- EDIT 2: This was also before you came up with Rudder. ---

--- EDIT 3: After thinking it over I've decided to post this in chunks as opposed to waiting until the whole thing is done. Given that I can't work on it too consistently, I don't know exactly when the whole thing will be finished.

Also, so I don't drown you in a text wall comprised of a several page long document all at once. And character limit. I don't know what the character limit for a Smashboards posts is.

So, here's the current release plan.

Batch 1 – This post.

Batch 2 – Reworks of Wynnie, Weevle, EPSILON and LAMBDA.

Batch 3 – Reworks of Kowalski, Wyrm & Tamm and a minor review/rework of Rudder. (I think he's pretty good as is for the most part.)

Batch 4 – Challengers Approaching

Batch 5 – Stage Concepts Part I

Batch 6 – Stage Concepts Part II

Outside of these posts, and similar to what I'd done previously for Aremi/Ahab, I will be posting sketches to better illustrate the moves in my reworks. These will posted in between the proper batches or alongside them if I have the time to do both writing and drawing.

The stage concepts however will be accompanied with proper sketches of the layout and basic designs for the background.

It's just that the character sketches take much longer due to the sheer volume that need to be drawn. Even if they're pretty basic doodles it's still a few dozen per character. Case in point, since I haven't much time, I've been mostly writing and am only including a few of Levi's aerials in this particular post.

Lastly, I will also be sporadically posting colored character portraits as I complete them. Starting with just Aremi, Ahab, Levi, Wynnie, and Chell though, since we're still work-shopping final designs for the others.

Onto the actual post.

------------------------

Since you expressed having trouble when it comes to move set design.

When looking to design a character and their move set try to consider the following:

A. What is this character?

What's the core concept, theme or archetype you're trying to fulfill with this character? A grappler or zoner? Fire powers? A swordsman or gunslinger? Etc.

This core concept should be the primary focus of the character's move set and play style. The points that follow should try to adhere to a design that works in service of this core concept.

B. How does their physiology inform their design?

What kind of body does the character have? How short or tall are they? How built, scrawny or fat? Are they bipedal? Quadruped? Are they human? Animal? Robotic? Something else? Any other limbs or features like a tail, wings, horns, claws, etc.

If they have any of the latter, is it feasible to incorporate them into their move set?

And try not to forget these features either. If they have them, use them.

One example I can bring up as critique is LAMBDA. The last move set you made that I looked over was almost all exclusively punches. For a robot dragon with wings, a tail, and jaws with sharp teeth, it seems a bit like a missed opportunity to limit their moves to just punching things.

1. How does their personality inform their design?
Personality should inform the animations of their attacks and perhaps even some of the attacks they'll use. Take Balrog and Dudley from Street Fighter for example. Both occupy the boxer archetype but play and animate quite differently. Balrog focuses on brute force and powering through. He's also a dirty fighter, utilizing headbutts and stomps despite his boxing profession. Dudley on the other hand is a refined gentleman, focusing more on technique and precision. His boxing is by the books but in good form, showcasing his skill.

1. How does their history inform their design?
Similar to personality, a character's history and background can be used to inform their design. This will often tie into the core concept and sometimes the personality as well. After all, one's background can shape their demeanor.

For example, using Street Fighter again as the example, let's try Ken and Sean.

Ken is an experienced fighter. He has a refined fighting style with lots of flashy moves that he's learned over the years. Sean on the other hand is still a student, his technique isn't as refined and in some cases he'll improvise where he lacks in experience.

With your own characters in Sigma Busters, you can try to reflect this through Levi and Wynnie. One is experienced, with more deliberate movements. The other is a novice, more free form and perhaps a little clumsy.

E. “I Understood That Reference”

Naturally, it helps to look to existing media and characters to look for inspiration for your own. However, when making something similar or including something as a reference, try to remember the core concept. If it can work with or even enhance the core concept, then great!

In some cases, though there may something in particular you really like and want to include somewhere just because you like it. If it clashes with the core concept though, it's best to simply leave it out.

Down the line you may find another opportunity to include it, but it shouldn't jeopardize the design of a character where it doesn't fit.

F. Rule of Cool?

Similar to the above, if you just happen to come with something that you think is a cool or good idea, you might be really eager to incorporate it. However, if it clashes with the core concept of the current character that you're working on, it's best to make note of it and shelve it for later.

You might have another character that can make better use of the idea, or perhaps even use that idea as the basis for another core concept, making an entirely new character.

G. Balancing Act

I touched on it previously but there some moves and attributes that you tend to overuse in your move sets so far. These include using the same move over several characters like giving both Ahab and EPSILON spinning lariats, or the overabundance of moves that cause spikes or tripping.

For example, in most cases, characters in platform fighters will only have one or two spikes in their kit. In the move listing for Aremi currently in the OP, she has four, which while not totally unreasonable felt like overkill on some of the moves that were given said property.

One such example is that you gave her standard Pyro Pumpkin side special the ability to spike opponents. A regular projectile/bomb type move spiking opponents feels a bit unbalanced.

----------

Now for the character revisions.

First up are the characters I'll be referring to as the core four. To prepare for the first build I decided to take a page from Smash 64 and have the first four characters take after the first build of Smash Bros.

The original pitch builds of Super Smash Bros. Featured Mario, DK, Fox and Samus. An all-rounder, bruiser/heavy, rush down and zoner.

While not exactly the same, I tried to make the 4 differing play styles to be the basis for initial testing. They are follows; Aremi as the all-rounder, Ahab as the bruiser, Levi is the stand in for the rush down spot but instead being a reasonably fast spacer (I imagine he'll have pretty decent speed like Marth at least.)

Last is Chell who is the stand in for the zoner. I know you have her as an “EX” character as opposed to being in the main roster of 8, but I went with her for a couple reasons. For one, the current supposed zoner, EPSILON, is continually undergoing constant changes, many of which make them less and less of a zoner. And second, despite being more recent, she just feels like she has a more concrete concept to work off of. So, despite her current placement, I think she works as a potential character to bring onto the main release roster.

The Core4 – First Build Characters

Aremi - All Rounder

Least number of changes here, but there are still a few.

Archetype - All-Rounder
Gimmick - Vine Tether
  • Aremi shoots out a vine from her arm that gives her increased grab range in exchange for higher lag on the grab itself. She can also use this to catch on the sides of walls to give her another jump.
Ground Moves:
Jab - Root Kicks –
A standing kick, followed by two more using her vine for support as she roots herself to the ground.

Forward Tilt - Wick Lighter – A small flame projectile fired from Aremi's finger. Travels a short distance before disappearing.

Up Tilt - Torch Bearer – Aremi swings her arm in an overhead arc, producing flames from her fingertip.

Down Tilt – Vine Sweeper – Aremi swings the vine on her arm along the ground, tripping opponents.

Back Tilt – Blaze –
A quick, turning, flame covered kick aimed behind. Can be used to retaliate against opponent and knocking away weak projectiles.

Dash Attack - Underbrush – A sliding kick with a low profile, allowing Aremi to duck under projectiles and some standing attacks.

Charge Attacks:
Side Charge – Flare Palm –
Aremi thrusts her palm forward, shooting a sphere of purple flames in front of said palm.

Up Charge – Flash Fire - Aremi performs a flame covered somersault kick.

Down Charge - Arcane Flames – Aremi summons a wall of purple fire from the ground to surround herself and keep opponents at bay.

Aerials:
Neutral Air - Branch Kick –
Aremi extends her leg to kick and holds the pose, allowing the hit to momentarily linger.

Forward Air - Flare Orb – Aremi swirls a large orb of fire in front of her, dealing multiple hits of damage. Hitting the opponent with the center of the orb deals more damage and knockback.

Up Air - Heat Wave – A quick upwards kick wreathed in flames with a wide arc.

Down Air - Big Bang - Aremi leans downward with both hands brought close together. She then fires a short-range burst of flame to spike opponents caught directly beneath. The explosion has a deceptively wide radius, though the rest of flames will not spike.

Back Air - Vine Whip – Aremi quickly turns in the air, swinging her vine like a whip, its fast with good range but high end lag.

Grabs:
Pummel - Smolder -
Aremi burns the opponent with purple flames.

Forward Throw - Vine Slinger - Aremi wraps her vines around the opponent and launches them forwards.

Down Throw – Fire Stamp - Aremi stomps on them like a person would stomp on flames to put them out, though in this case she conjures flames as she stomps.

Back Throw - Flame Burst - A kill throw where Aremi launches the opponent back with a burst of flames.

Up Throw - Mind Blown - Aremi tosses the foe above her head, which then explodes into a large orb of flames, another notable kill throw.

Specials:
Neutral Special - Ember Shot –
Aremi spits flaming seeds from her mouth that travel quite far but deal only light damage and no knockback or hit stun. Can be rapid fired by repeatedly pressing the button.
  • Neutral Hyper – Ember Burst - Aremi shoots a fast line of high-powered flaming seeds that deal more damage than the standard special. If they connect, they will hit in quick succession, with the last seed bursting into a larger flame and dealing some knockback.
Side Special - Pyro Pumpkin – Aremi throws a Pyro Pumpkin forward in a short arc. Hold the button to launch the bomb in a farther but lower to the ground arc, can either be used to spike opponents in the air or be used to create a lingering fire trap.
  • Side Hyper - Pyro Patch – Aremi will hold multiple Pyro Pumpkins in here arms and throw them all together creating a series of small explosions in a wide radius.
Down Special - Pyro Dance - Aremi performs a spinning motion while her body is wreathed in flames. In this state she can move left and right on the ground or in the air as a recovery tool. She can also perform an explosive, ballerina-like leap while in the middle of her current spin to aid in recovery but the force sends her into free fall.
  • Down Hyper - Pyro Hurricane – Aremi will begin to rapidly spin while producing flames, becoming a great tornado of fire. You can move left and right as well as gain height by mashing the special button when in this state. This version lacks the option to jump but makes up for it in much greater overall mobility and being a high damage multi-hit.
Up Special - Head Shot - In an act of recklessness, Aremi heads fills with fire and launches from her body like a missile, causing her old body to explode in a burst of flames to spike opponents underneath. When on fire her head is immune to getting attacked, though eventually the fire fizzles out and she enters a helpless state as her head, covered in ash and soot, drops back onto the stage to create a new body. In this state her head can be reflected and if the head enters the blast zone, she loses a stock.
  • Up Hyper - Firecracker - A higher but more vertical blast upwards. This move trades some horizontal drift with more vertical distance, and the explosion is bigger with a spike at the epicenter of the blast.

Hypermax Attacks -
Level 1 - Paralyzing Scream –
Aremi will perform a scary face while unleashing a parlaying scream with a wide radius in front of her, this freezes opponents in place, letting you set up combos.

Level 2 - Headroller – Aremi's head grows to a large size and she rolls it across the ground. Opponents in it's path with get stuck to it as it rolls and after traveling a set distance it will explode, launching foes. If used in the air, Aremi will toss her head diagonally downward and it will begin to roll upon reaching the ground.

Level 3 – Raging Fire – Aremi will concentrate flames in her hands before unleashing a stream of flames in the direction held.

Ahab Sturmwal - Bruiser

So rather than being solely themed around wind powers, I've gone ahead and given him a more general storm theme with some moves still being based on wind, but some now incorporate electricity. I also intend to update his appearance to no longer be only themed after sperm whales. I'll be mixing in some elements from other whale/dolphin species like the orca.

I also changed his surname to Sturmwal to reflect this change.

Neutral Attack: Hammerhead Combo – A quick jab, followed by a straight punch, and ending with a strong headbutt.

F-Tilt: Fishing Line – A left hook. Press again to combo into a downward swing.

Back Tilt: Barknuckle (Barnacle) – A backhand swing while turning around.

Up Tilt: Updraft - A short uppercut, useful for juggles.

Down Tilt: Wave Breaker – A leg sweep using Ahab's tail. Pushes opponents forward. Similar animation to Fox/Falco's D-Tilts in Smash.

Dash Attack: Sea Leg Sweeper – Ahab comes to a quick stop while plunging low to swing at an opponent's legs, knocking them down.

Forward Charge: Hull Smasher – Ahab steps forward to delivering a strong body blow.

Up Charge: Mast Breaker – Beginning from a crouch, Ahab quickly rises, delivering a strong uppercut.

Down Charge: Bluster Blow – A short-range body blow enhanced by wind. Only hits on one side but serves as a launcher to start juggles and air combos.

Neutral Air: Anchor Arms – Ahab strikes a pose, flexing his muscles.

Forward Air: Thunder Punch – Ahab launches an incredibly fast, electrically charged punch at a low diagonal angle. Spikes.

Back Air: Tailwind – Ahab swings his tail, fanning it behind himself. The wind generated propels him forward slightly.

Up Air: Wind Spout – Ahab spews a short jet of wind from his blowhole to hit opponents above him. Useful for scoring K.O.'s off the top blast zone.

Down Air: Thunder Knuckle – Ahab falls on his side and swings his arm down for a powerful backhand punch.

Grab – Clinch

Pummel – Body Blow

Forward Throw: Heavy Swing
– Ahab slugs the opponent hard, launching them forward.

Back Throw: Whirlwind Toss – Ahab lifts the opponent off the ground and quickly spins around, hurling them in the other direction.

Up Throw: Launching Blow – Ahab delivers a strong uppercut, launching opponents upward.

Down Throw: Hit the Deck! - Ahab decks the opponent, knocking them down and sending them sliding along the ground.

Specials:
Neutral Special: Ball Lightning – Ahab will charge electricity and then launch a slow moving ball of lighting forward. The ball will slowly descend as it travels forward and dissipate upon touching the ground. (Similar to Pikachu's custom Thunder Shock.)

Neutral Hyper: Lightning Chaser – Ahab will shoot a larger ball of lightning that homes in on opponents. It will burst in a crackle of electricity upon touching an opponent or a solid surface. (It'll pass through platforms you can drop through.)

Down Special: Lightning Strike – Ahab will punch straight downward, hitting the ground and creating a pillar of electricity similar to a a bolt of lightning.

A “get off me” tool inspired by Captain Commando's Captain Corridor from Marvel vs Capcom. For a Smash comparison, think of it like a single strike version of DK's Hand Slap, but with less horizontal range and a high vertical range like Palutena's Up Smash, though not quite as high of course.

Down Hyper: Lighting Storm – Now it has Palu Up Smash height and DK hand slap range. Also, it's a multi-hit due to electricity lasting a bit longer.

Up Special: Torrent Twister – Ahab will perform a leaping uppercut while spinning. While spinning, his direction can be influenced a bit by tilting left or right. (Similar to Little Mac's Rising Uppercut but with a bit more height and horizontal mobility.)

Up Hyper: Whirlpool Twister - Ahab spins faster, drawing opponents in for multiple hits. The move also goes a bit higher and covers more distance when tilting left or right.

Side Special: Storm Chaser – Ahab will charge forward delivering a lunging straight punch. This move has armor allowing it to tank most projectiles and weak tilt attacks. (Similar to Balrog's Dash Straight, Terry's Burning Knuckle or Little Mac's Straight Lunge in concept.)

Side Hyper: Heavy Storm - The move travels much faster and gains hyper armor, allowing it to tank and overpower charge attacks.

Hypermax:
Level 3: Cetacean Cyclone – Ahab inhales deeply and then leans forward, expelling a vortex of wind from his blowhole. He vortex functions somewhat like a “beam” super and can be aimed up or down slightly by tilting the stick. (Think of Wham's Divine Sandstorm from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure for a comparison in how it should look.)

Level 2: Lightning Fist – Ahab slams his fists together, generating electricity around them. An install super where Ahab's punches become electrified, dealing more damage and hit stun.

Level 1: Storm Punch – Ahab performs one of three different wind powered punches depending on the direction held.

Storm Punch: Hurricane (Forward) – A straight punch with a wide wind box that blows opponents away. Most knockback of the 3 punches. (Similar to DK's custom Storm Punch.)

Storm Punch: Tornado (Up) – An uppercut that produces a small tornado, dealing multiple hits before launching opponents. Most damage, but shortest range. (Similar to Cody's Criminal Upper from Street Fighter.)

Storm Punch: Typhoon (Down) – A body blow that sends out a series of whirlwinds along the ground. Deals the least damage but has the longest range. (Similar to Storm's Whirlwind and Typhoon moves from the Marvel vs Capcom series.)

Levi – Spacer

Gimmick - Tipper & Frost
  • Many of Levi's attacks apply Frost. If an opponent builds up enough Frost they will Freeze, leaving them vulnerable to attack.
  • Levi's sword, Frost----, has a sharp tip, meaning any attacks directed at the tip deals more damage and knockback.

I propose changing the name of Levi's sword. The word “punk” can refer to a young man who is either violent, inexperienced or weak, none of which are fitting for Levi's character or the name of a blade for that matter.

I will say that, at the time of writing, I don't have any amazing suggestions myself, but even something as simple as Frostfang or Frostedge would be better imo.

Ground Moves:
Jab - Ice Edge -
A backhand sword swing, followed by a forehand swing, ending with a quick flurry of stabbing strikes.

Forward Tilt – Icy Spear – The tip of Levi's sword becomes coated in ice, extending it's length just a bit. He then performs a forward thrust. Can be angled up or down.

Up Tilt – Frost Slicer – Levi raises his sword and spins in. This move also produces a bit of frost.

Down Tilt – Sled Cutter -Levi coats the soles of his boots in ice, performing a low profile slide forward while slashing.

Back Tilt - Polar Slash - A sideways slash from the back that hits both sides, though the hit from the back deals much more damage and knockback than the front.

Dash Attack - Winterblade - While dashing, Levi slashes forward with a horizontal strike, the tip of the attack deals the best KO power.

Charge Attacks:
Side Charge - Ice Breaker -
Levi coats his sword in ice, forming the shape of a broadsword, and smashes it into the opponent. A good attack with splash damage from the ice chunks.

Up Charge - Frozen Spire - Levi performs a straight, upwards thrust with his sword, with arctic winds swirling around his sword.

Down Charge – Frozen Flower - Levi stabs the ground, creating several ice spikes to form around himself in a circle.

I changed the name from Avalanche to better fit what the move is actually doing.

Aerials:
Neutral Air – Frost Flurry –
Levi performs a stationary forward flip, hitting foes with his sword, horns and tail spikes as he spins.

Forward Air – Crescent Moon -A low to high forward slash, covering a wide space in front of Levi. The shape of the arc is a crescent, resembling it's namesake.

This move's name replaces Waning Moon as a moon reference. I was changing down air regardless, but I made sure to remove the name itself as “waning” refers to something that decreases or lessens in intensity. The complete opposite of what your original Down Air actually did; a slash with wide range and strong power.

Up Air - Waxing Moon - An upwards slash used for juggling opponents, with some icy mist trailing the slash.

Down Air – Ice Sickle -Levi freezes the air around his sword, forming icicles along it's length. He then delivers a powerful downward slash in arc. A direct hit will spike opponents, while the icicles on the blade will fan out covering a wider range for splash damage.

The move name is both a pun on the word icicle and named after the shape of the sword trail, resembling a scythe/sickle.

Back Air – Frost Kick - A thrusting kick aimed backward. Good for pushing opponents away or closing out stocks.

Grabs:
Pummel - Knee Jab -
Levi attacks the opponent with his knee, among the faster pummels in the game.

Forward Throw – Cold Shoulder – Levi shoves the opponent forward and tackles with them with an ice coated pauldron.

Down Throw – Cold Feet – Levi freezes the ground at the opponent's feet, keeping them in place.

Players can then perform a follow up of their choice, however, the player caught in the ice can break free almost instantly, so you'll need to act quickly.

Back Throw - Ice Arrow - Levi tosses the foe back and shoots an ice shard at them to deal extra damage.

Up Throw – Hailstorm - Levi tosses the opponent up and then unleashes a flurry of quick sword strikes to send them higher.

Specials:
Neutral Special – Blizzard Blade – Levi gathers frost with his sword, forming a blade of ice that he launches forward as a projectile. The ice blade is of moderate size and speed and applies frost in addition to dealing damage.

Neutral Hyper – Freezing Sabre – A faster, multi-hit version of Blizzard Blade that also travels further and applies even more frost to the opponent.

Side Special – Dashing Snow – An aim-able dash that has Levi surge forward while delivering a swift slash. It deals light damage but is good at closing the distances or aiding in recovery.

Side Hyper – Snowstorm – Levi's slash now deals several hits that linger behind him. (Think Vergil's Rapid Slash from Marvel vs Capcom or Sephiroth's Octaslash from Smash.)

I got rid of the name Salome because quite honestly, I have no idea what it has to do with Levi as a dragon or his ice abilities. Not sure if you were referencing something super specific here, maybe you could elaborate?

Up Special - Arctic Wind – A high leaping slash, enhanced by icy winds.

Up Hyper – Arctic Dragon – The attack now goes higher and deals several hits along with much higher damage.

Down Special – Frostshine – A counterattack. Levi takes a defensive stance with a snowflake-shaped sigil appearing around him. The counter strikes at 1.2x the power of the move that hit Levi while also applying frost.

Down Hyper – Cold Front – The counter now deals 1.5x the damage and unleashes a wave of cold air that can deals damage to anyone else close by. It also applies twice as much frost as the normal version.

Hypermax Attacks -
Level 1 – Polarus Install –
An install super where Levi coats himself in ice armor, including a pair of wings. For the duration of the transformation, Levi is stronger, faster and gains an additional 2 jumps in the air.
Level 2 - Cold Touch - A sudden strike with a particularly powerful stab that instantly freezes opponents.
Level 3 - The Icy Leviathan - Transforming into a serpent, Levi breaths a chilling air that freezes any opponents who touch it.

Screenshot 2024-04-02 182547.png

Chell – Zoner/Mix Up

Gimmick - Venomous - Chell can apply the Poison status using a variety of moves involving her venom.

Ground Moves:
Jab – Hunter's Knife –
A 3-hit slashing combo using Chell's hunting knife.
Forward Tilt – Hunter's Boot – Chell performs a strong forward kick.

Forward Tilt (High Angle) – Throwing Knife – Chell throws out a throwing knife at an upward diagonal angle.

Forward Tilt (Low Angle) -Venom Spitter – Chell spits venom (like one would spit into a spittoon or on the ground) at a low angle, toward the ground. Deals no knockback and very light damage, but inflicts Poison on the opponent.

Up Tilt – Asp Fang - Chell performs an ax kick.
Down Tilt – Grass Cutter – While crouched, Chell slashes with her hunting knife.
Back Tilt – Quick Draw - Chell suddenly turns around and fires.
Dash Attack – Sliding Shot – Chell drops onto her back, sliding forward, while firing her gun.

Charge Attacks:
Side Charge – Point Blank -
Chell takes aim and fires, producing a short range blast. Can be angled up or down.
Up Charge – Python Kick – Chell performs a wide kick, starting low and circling up and around herself.
Down Charge – Circling Boa - Chell balances on foot and spins around, sliding her other leg along the ground in a sweeping roundhouse kick.

Aerials:
Neutral Air - Twin Snakes -
A forward kick, followed by a roundhouse. The first hit links into the second.
Forward Air – Cobra Heel – Chell raises her leg and then swings it down for a midair ax kick. Spikes.
Up Air – Viper Slash – Chell performs an overhead slash with her hunting knife.
Down Air – Air Shot – Chell takes aim and fires her gun downward at a diagonal angle. Strongest at point blank, but can still land hits at a short range.
Back Air – Blind Spot – Chell slings her gun over her should and fires backward without turning around.

Grabs:
Pummel -
Knee Jab
Forward Throw – Serpent Tail -
A fierce kick, launching the opponent forward.
Down Throw – Snake Bite - Chell bites the opponent, inflicting the Poison status. The opponent then crumples to the floor. (Similar to Snake's Down Throw.)
Back Throw – Double Tap - Chell performs a judo throw, turning around and slamming the opponent into the ground. She then shoots the downed opponent while they're still on the ground.
Up Throw – Clay Pigeon – Chell tosses the opponent up high and then follows up with a shot from her gun.

Specials:
Neutral Special – Hunting Sniper –
Chell readies her weapon and takes aim, firing a bullet that travels fast and can reach from across the stage. (From one end of FD to the other for example.) Doesn't deal much knockback, but good damage.

Neutral Hyper – Venom Cartridge – Chells bites down onto a special cartridge, filling it with her venom. She then loads it into her gun. Now, for a short duration, all attacks involving her gun (except Side Special) will deal a little extra damage and apply the Poison status.

Side Special – Grenade Launcher – Chell uses her guns alternative fire, shooting out a grenade a short distance forward. The grenade explodes on contact with a surface or an opponent.

Side Hyper – Poison Fog Grenade – The grenade fired now explodes into a cloud of poison smoke that lingers on stage for a short while.

Up Special – Serpent Wheel – Chell performs a leaping pinwheel kick. (Similar to Juri's Senpusha/Tensenrin from Street Fighter.)

Up Hyper – Ouroboros – Chell spins faster, unleashing more kicks for extra hits. Goes higher and deals much more damage overall.

Down Special – Viper Bomb – Chell places a small bomb on the ground that she can detonate remotely. If an opponent is close enough, she can attach it to them instead.

Down Hyper – Viper Mine – Chell buries a mine in the ground. It is much more powerful and has a larger blast radius but cannot be detonated remotely. It will trigger via proximity, so Chell needs to be mindful of it's location as well.

Hypermax Attacks -
Level 1 - Snake Eyes -
Chell performs a cold stare, eyes flashing gold, paralyzing the opponent. The flash has a moderate horizontal range, covering a set distance in her line of site meaning you can stun opponents even from further away. The initial flash deals light damage but the opponent will remain stunned for a few seconds allowing for follow ups. If used in the air, the opponent will slowly fall while paralyzed.

Level 2 – Venom Overdose -
Chell extends her neck, shooting forward to bite opponents. The opponent she catches will be briefly held in place as she pumps them full of venom. Deals massive damage and inflicts Poison, but no knockback.

Level 3 - Black Venom - Chell pulls out her most potent bullet and loads it into her gun. Coated in the venom of the Viprex Deathadder, the most venomous creature in the galaxy, foes hit by it will be instantly KO'd if they exceed 150%. The bullet itself deals a whopping 50% on its own, but its small size makes it hard to land. Make sure you've lined up the perfect shot.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
--- EDIT: This write up began before you notified me that you'd gone ahead with the sprite work for Aremi and we're looking to drop Ahab. However, I decided to include their reworks anyway. Development is still fairly early, so I figured I'd leave them in, in case you changed your mind on anything. ---

--- EDIT 2: This was also before you came up with Rudder. ---

--- EDIT 3: After thinking it over I've decided to post this in chunks as opposed to waiting until the whole thing is done. Given that I can't work on it too consistently, I don't know exactly when the whole thing will be finished.

Also, so I don't drown you in a text wall comprised of a several page long document all at once. And character limit. I don't know what the character limit for a Smashboards posts is.

So, here's the current release plan.

Batch 1 – This post.

Batch 2 – Reworks of Wynnie, Weevle, EPSILON and LAMBDA.

Batch 3 – Reworks of Kowalski, Wyrm & Tamm and a minor review/rework of Rudder. (I think he's pretty good as is for the most part.)

Batch 4 – Challengers Approaching

Batch 5 – Stage Concepts Part I

Batch 6 – Stage Concepts Part II

Outside of these posts, and similar to what I'd done previously for Aremi/Ahab, I will be posting sketches to better illustrate the moves in my reworks. These will posted in between the proper batches or alongside them if I have the time to do both writing and drawing.

The stage concepts however will be accompanied with proper sketches of the layout and basic designs for the background.

It's just that the character sketches take much longer due to the sheer volume that need to be drawn. Even if they're pretty basic doodles it's still a few dozen per character. Case in point, since I haven't much time, I've been mostly writing and am only including a few of Levi's aerials in this particular post.

Lastly, I will also be sporadically posting colored character portraits as I complete them. Starting with just Aremi, Ahab, Levi, Wynnie, and Chell though, since we're still work-shopping final designs for the others.

Onto the actual post.

------------------------

Since you expressed having trouble when it comes to move set design.

When looking to design a character and their move set try to consider the following:

A. What is this character?

What's the core concept, theme or archetype you're trying to fulfill with this character? A grappler or zoner? Fire powers? A swordsman or gunslinger? Etc.

This core concept should be the primary focus of the character's move set and play style. The points that follow should try to adhere to a design that works in service of this core concept.

B. How does their physiology inform their design?

What kind of body does the character have? How short or tall are they? How built, scrawny or fat? Are they bipedal? Quadruped? Are they human? Animal? Robotic? Something else? Any other limbs or features like a tail, wings, horns, claws, etc.

If they have any of the latter, is it feasible to incorporate them into their move set?

And try not to forget these features either. If they have them, use them.

One example I can bring up as critique is LAMBDA. The last move set you made that I looked over was almost all exclusively punches. For a robot dragon with wings, a tail, and jaws with sharp teeth, it seems a bit like a missed opportunity to limit their moves to just punching things.

1. How does their personality inform their design?
Personality should inform the animations of their attacks and perhaps even some of the attacks they'll use. Take Balrog and Dudley from Street Fighter for example. Both occupy the boxer archetype but play and animate quite differently. Balrog focuses on brute force and powering through. He's also a dirty fighter, utilizing headbutts and stomps despite his boxing profession. Dudley on the other hand is a refined gentleman, focusing more on technique and precision. His boxing is by the books but in good form, showcasing his skill.

1. How does their history inform their design?
Similar to personality, a character's history and background can be used to inform their design. This will often tie into the core concept and sometimes the personality as well. After all, one's background can shape their demeanor.

For example, using Street Fighter again as the example, let's try Ken and Sean.

Ken is an experienced fighter. He has a refined fighting style with lots of flashy moves that he's learned over the years. Sean on the other hand is still a student, his technique isn't as refined and in some cases he'll improvise where he lacks in experience.

With your own characters in Sigma Busters, you can try to reflect this through Levi and Wynnie. One is experienced, with more deliberate movements. The other is a novice, more free form and perhaps a little clumsy.

E. “I Understood That Reference”

Naturally, it helps to look to existing media and characters to look for inspiration for your own. However, when making something similar or including something as a reference, try to remember the core concept. If it can work with or even enhance the core concept, then great!

In some cases, though there may something in particular you really like and want to include somewhere just because you like it. If it clashes with the core concept though, it's best to simply leave it out.

Down the line you may find another opportunity to include it, but it shouldn't jeopardize the design of a character where it doesn't fit.

F. Rule of Cool?

Similar to the above, if you just happen to come with something that you think is a cool or good idea, you might be really eager to incorporate it. However, if it clashes with the core concept of the current character that you're working on, it's best to make note of it and shelve it for later.

You might have another character that can make better use of the idea, or perhaps even use that idea as the basis for another core concept, making an entirely new character.

G. Balancing Act

I touched on it previously but there some moves and attributes that you tend to overuse in your move sets so far. These include using the same move over several characters like giving both Ahab and EPSILON spinning lariats, or the overabundance of moves that cause spikes or tripping.

For example, in most cases, characters in platform fighters will only have one or two spikes in their kit. In the move listing for Aremi currently in the OP, she has four, which while not totally unreasonable felt like overkill on some of the moves that were given said property.

One such example is that you gave her standard Pyro Pumpkin side special the ability to spike opponents. A regular projectile/bomb type move spiking opponents feels a bit unbalanced.

----------

Now for the character revisions.

First up are the characters I'll be referring to as the core four. To prepare for the first build I decided to take a page from Smash 64 and have the first four characters take after the first build of Smash Bros.

The original pitch builds of Super Smash Bros. Featured Mario, DK, Fox and Samus. An all-rounder, bruiser/heavy, rush down and zoner.

While not exactly the same, I tried to make the 4 differing play styles to be the basis for initial testing. They are follows; Aremi as the all-rounder, Ahab as the bruiser, Levi is the stand in for the rush down spot but instead being a reasonably fast spacer (I imagine he'll have pretty decent speed like Marth at least.)

Last is Chell who is the stand in for the zoner. I know you have her as an “EX” character as opposed to being in the main roster of 8, but I went with her for a couple reasons. For one, the current supposed zoner, EPSILON, is continually undergoing constant changes, many of which make them less and less of a zoner. And second, despite being more recent, she just feels like she has a more concrete concept to work off of. So, despite her current placement, I think she works as a potential character to bring onto the main release roster.

The Core4 – First Build Characters

Aremi - All Rounder

Least number of changes here, but there are still a few.

Archetype - All-Rounder
Gimmick - Vine Tether
  • Aremi shoots out a vine from her arm that gives her increased grab range in exchange for higher lag on the grab itself. She can also use this to catch on the sides of walls to give her another jump.
Ground Moves:
Jab - Root Kicks –
A standing kick, followed by two more using her vine for support as she roots herself to the ground.

Forward Tilt - Wick Lighter – A small flame projectile fired from Aremi's finger. Travels a short distance before disappearing.

Up Tilt - Torch Bearer – Aremi swings her arm in an overhead arc, producing flames from her fingertip.

Down Tilt – Vine Sweeper – Aremi swings the vine on her arm along the ground, tripping opponents.

Back Tilt – Blaze –
A quick, turning, flame covered kick aimed behind. Can be used to retaliate against opponent and knocking away weak projectiles.

Dash Attack - Underbrush – A sliding kick with a low profile, allowing Aremi to duck under projectiles and some standing attacks.

Charge Attacks:
Side Charge – Flare Palm –
Aremi thrusts her palm forward, shooting a sphere of purple flames in front of said palm.

Up Charge – Flash Fire - Aremi performs a flame covered somersault kick.

Down Charge - Arcane Flames – Aremi summons a wall of purple fire from the ground to surround herself and keep opponents at bay.

Aerials:
Neutral Air - Branch Kick –
Aremi extends her leg to kick and holds the pose, allowing the hit to momentarily linger.

Forward Air - Flare Orb – Aremi swirls a large orb of fire in front of her, dealing multiple hits of damage. Hitting the opponent with the center of the orb deals more damage and knockback.

Up Air - Heat Wave – A quick upwards kick wreathed in flames with a wide arc.

Down Air - Big Bang - Aremi leans downward with both hands brought close together. She then fires a short-range burst of flame to spike opponents caught directly beneath. The explosion has a deceptively wide radius, though the rest of flames will not spike.

Back Air - Vine Whip – Aremi quickly turns in the air, swinging her vine like a whip, its fast with good range but high end lag.

Grabs:
Pummel - Smolder -
Aremi burns the opponent with purple flames.

Forward Throw - Vine Slinger - Aremi wraps her vines around the opponent and launches them forwards.

Down Throw – Fire Stamp - Aremi stomps on them like a person would stomp on flames to put them out, though in this case she conjures flames as she stomps.

Back Throw - Flame Burst - A kill throw where Aremi launches the opponent back with a burst of flames.

Up Throw - Mind Blown - Aremi tosses the foe above her head, which then explodes into a large orb of flames, another notable kill throw.

Specials:
Neutral Special - Ember Shot –
Aremi spits flaming seeds from her mouth that travel quite far but deal only light damage and no knockback or hit stun. Can be rapid fired by repeatedly pressing the button.
  • Neutral Hyper – Ember Burst - Aremi shoots a fast line of high-powered flaming seeds that deal more damage than the standard special. If they connect, they will hit in quick succession, with the last seed bursting into a larger flame and dealing some knockback.
Side Special - Pyro Pumpkin – Aremi throws a Pyro Pumpkin forward in a short arc. Hold the button to launch the bomb in a farther but lower to the ground arc, can either be used to spike opponents in the air or be used to create a lingering fire trap.
  • Side Hyper - Pyro Patch – Aremi will hold multiple Pyro Pumpkins in here arms and throw them all together creating a series of small explosions in a wide radius.
Down Special - Pyro Dance - Aremi performs a spinning motion while her body is wreathed in flames. In this state she can move left and right on the ground or in the air as a recovery tool. She can also perform an explosive, ballerina-like leap while in the middle of her current spin to aid in recovery but the force sends her into free fall.
  • Down Hyper - Pyro Hurricane – Aremi will begin to rapidly spin while producing flames, becoming a great tornado of fire. You can move left and right as well as gain height by mashing the special button when in this state. This version lacks the option to jump but makes up for it in much greater overall mobility and being a high damage multi-hit.
Up Special - Head Shot - In an act of recklessness, Aremi heads fills with fire and launches from her body like a missile, causing her old body to explode in a burst of flames to spike opponents underneath. When on fire her head is immune to getting attacked, though eventually the fire fizzles out and she enters a helpless state as her head, covered in ash and soot, drops back onto the stage to create a new body. In this state her head can be reflected and if the head enters the blast zone, she loses a stock.
  • Up Hyper - Firecracker - A higher but more vertical blast upwards. This move trades some horizontal drift with more vertical distance, and the explosion is bigger with a spike at the epicenter of the blast.

Hypermax Attacks -
Level 1 - Paralyzing Scream –
Aremi will perform a scary face while unleashing a parlaying scream with a wide radius in front of her, this freezes opponents in place, letting you set up combos.

Level 2 - Headroller – Aremi's head grows to a large size and she rolls it across the ground. Opponents in it's path with get stuck to it as it rolls and after traveling a set distance it will explode, launching foes. If used in the air, Aremi will toss her head diagonally downward and it will begin to roll upon reaching the ground.

Level 3 – Raging Fire – Aremi will concentrate flames in her hands before unleashing a stream of flames in the direction held.

Ahab Sturmwal - Bruiser

So rather than being solely themed around wind powers, I've gone ahead and given him a more general storm theme with some moves still being based on wind, but some now incorporate electricity. I also intend to update his appearance to no longer be only themed after sperm whales. I'll be mixing in some elements from other whale/dolphin species like the orca.

I also changed his surname to Sturmwal to reflect this change.

Neutral Attack: Hammerhead Combo – A quick jab, followed by a straight punch, and ending with a strong headbutt.

F-Tilt: Fishing Line – A left hook. Press again to combo into a downward swing.

Back Tilt: Barknuckle (Barnacle) – A backhand swing while turning around.

Up Tilt: Updraft - A short uppercut, useful for juggles.

Down Tilt: Wave Breaker – A leg sweep using Ahab's tail. Pushes opponents forward. Similar animation to Fox/Falco's D-Tilts in Smash.

Dash Attack: Sea Leg Sweeper – Ahab comes to a quick stop while plunging low to swing at an opponent's legs, knocking them down.

Forward Charge: Hull Smasher – Ahab steps forward to delivering a strong body blow.

Up Charge: Mast Breaker – Beginning from a crouch, Ahab quickly rises, delivering a strong uppercut.

Down Charge: Bluster Blow – A short-range body blow enhanced by wind. Only hits on one side but serves as a launcher to start juggles and air combos.

Neutral Air: Anchor Arms – Ahab strikes a pose, flexing his muscles.

Forward Air: Thunder Punch – Ahab launches an incredibly fast, electrically charged punch at a low diagonal angle. Spikes.

Back Air: Tailwind – Ahab swings his tail, fanning it behind himself. The wind generated propels him forward slightly.

Up Air: Wind Spout – Ahab spews a short jet of wind from his blowhole to hit opponents above him. Useful for scoring K.O.'s off the top blast zone.

Down Air: Thunder Knuckle – Ahab falls on his side and swings his arm down for a powerful backhand punch.

Grab – Clinch

Pummel – Body Blow

Forward Throw: Heavy Swing
– Ahab slugs the opponent hard, launching them forward.

Back Throw: Whirlwind Toss – Ahab lifts the opponent off the ground and quickly spins around, hurling them in the other direction.

Up Throw: Launching Blow – Ahab delivers a strong uppercut, launching opponents upward.

Down Throw: Hit the Deck! - Ahab decks the opponent, knocking them down and sending them sliding along the ground.

Specials:
Neutral Special: Ball Lightning – Ahab will charge electricity and then launch a slow moving ball of lighting forward. The ball will slowly descend as it travels forward and dissipate upon touching the ground. (Similar to Pikachu's custom Thunder Shock.)

Neutral Hyper: Lightning Chaser – Ahab will shoot a larger ball of lightning that homes in on opponents. It will burst in a crackle of electricity upon touching an opponent or a solid surface. (It'll pass through platforms you can drop through.)

Down Special: Lightning Strike – Ahab will punch straight downward, hitting the ground and creating a pillar of electricity similar to a a bolt of lightning.

A “get off me” tool inspired by Captain Commando's Captain Corridor from Marvel vs Capcom. For a Smash comparison, think of it like a single strike version of DK's Hand Slap, but with less horizontal range and a high vertical range like Palutena's Up Smash, though not quite as high of course.

Down Hyper: Lighting Storm – Now it has Palu Up Smash height and DK hand slap range. Also, it's a multi-hit due to electricity lasting a bit longer.

Up Special: Torrent Twister – Ahab will perform a leaping uppercut while spinning. While spinning, his direction can be influenced a bit by tilting left or right. (Similar to Little Mac's Rising Uppercut but with a bit more height and horizontal mobility.)

Up Hyper: Whirlpool Twister - Ahab spins faster, drawing opponents in for multiple hits. The move also goes a bit higher and covers more distance when tilting left or right.

Side Special: Storm Chaser – Ahab will charge forward delivering a lunging straight punch. This move has armor allowing it to tank most projectiles and weak tilt attacks. (Similar to Balrog's Dash Straight, Terry's Burning Knuckle or Little Mac's Straight Lunge in concept.)

Side Hyper: Heavy Storm - The move travels much faster and gains hyper armor, allowing it to tank and overpower charge attacks.

Hypermax:
Level 3: Cetacean Cyclone – Ahab inhales deeply and then leans forward, expelling a vortex of wind from his blowhole. He vortex functions somewhat like a “beam” super and can be aimed up or down slightly by tilting the stick. (Think of Wham's Divine Sandstorm from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure for a comparison in how it should look.)

Level 2: Lightning Fist – Ahab slams his fists together, generating electricity around them. An install super where Ahab's punches become electrified, dealing more damage and hit stun.

Level 1: Storm Punch – Ahab performs one of three different wind powered punches depending on the direction held.

Storm Punch: Hurricane (Forward) – A straight punch with a wide wind box that blows opponents away. Most knockback of the 3 punches. (Similar to DK's custom Storm Punch.)

Storm Punch: Tornado (Up) – An uppercut that produces a small tornado, dealing multiple hits before launching opponents. Most damage, but shortest range. (Similar to Cody's Criminal Upper from Street Fighter.)

Storm Punch: Typhoon (Down) – A body blow that sends out a series of whirlwinds along the ground. Deals the least damage but has the longest range. (Similar to Storm's Whirlwind and Typhoon moves from the Marvel vs Capcom series.)

Levi – Spacer

Gimmick - Tipper & Frost
  • Many of Levi's attacks apply Frost. If an opponent builds up enough Frost they will Freeze, leaving them vulnerable to attack.
  • Levi's sword, Frost----, has a sharp tip, meaning any attacks directed at the tip deals more damage and knockback.

I propose changing the name of Levi's sword. The word “punk” can refer to a young man who is either violent, inexperienced or weak, none of which are fitting for Levi's character or the name of a blade for that matter.

I will say that, at the time of writing, I don't have any amazing suggestions myself, but even something as simple as Frostfang or Frostedge would be better imo.

Ground Moves:
Jab - Ice Edge - A backhand sword swing, followed by a forehand swing, ending with a quick flurry of stabbing strikes.

Forward Tilt – Icy Spear – The tip of Levi's sword becomes coated in ice, extending it's length just a bit. He then performs a forward thrust. Can be angled up or down.

Up Tilt – Frost Slicer – Levi raises his sword and spins in. This move also produces a bit of frost.

Down Tilt – Sled Cutter -Levi coats the soles of his boots in ice, performing a low profile slide forward while slashing.

Back Tilt - Polar Slash - A sideways slash from the back that hits both sides, though the hit from the back deals much more damage and knockback than the front.

Dash Attack - Winterblade - While dashing, Levi slashes forward with a horizontal strike, the tip of the attack deals the best KO power.

Charge Attacks:
Side Charge - Ice Breaker - Levi coats his sword in ice, forming the shape of a broadsword, and smashes it into the opponent. A good attack with splash damage from the ice chunks.

Up Charge - Frozen Spire - Levi performs a straight, upwards thrust with his sword, with arctic winds swirling around his sword.

Down Charge – Frozen Flower - Levi stabs the ground, creating several ice spikes to form around himself in a circle.

I changed the name from Avalanche to better fit what the move is actually doing.

Aerials:
Neutral Air – Frost Flurry – Levi performs a stationary forward flip, hitting foes with his sword, horns and tail spikes as he spins.

Forward Air – Crescent Moon -A low to high forward slash, covering a wide space in front of Levi. The shape of the arc is a crescent, resembling it's namesake.

This move's name replaces Waning Moon as a moon reference. I was changing down air regardless, but I made sure to remove the name itself as “waning” refers to something that decreases or lessens in intensity. The complete opposite of what your original Down Air actually did; a slash with wide range and strong power.

Up Air - Waxing Moon - An upwards slash used for juggling opponents, with some icy mist trailing the slash.

Down Air – Ice Sickle -Levi freezes the air around his sword, forming icicles along it's length. He then delivers a powerful downward slash in arc. A direct hit will spike opponents, while the icicles on the blade will fan out covering a wider range for splash damage.

The move name is both a pun on the word icicle and named after the shape of the sword trail, resembling a scythe/sickle.

Back Air – Frost Kick - A thrusting kick aimed backward. Good for pushing opponents away or closing out stocks.

Grabs:
Pummel - Knee Jab - Levi attacks the opponent with his knee, among the faster pummels in the game.

Forward Throw – Cold Shoulder – Levi shoves the opponent forward and tackles with them with an ice coated pauldron.

Down Throw – Cold Feet – Levi freezes the ground at the opponent's feet, keeping them in place.

Players can then perform a follow up of their choice, however, the player caught in the ice can break free almost instantly, so you'll need to act quickly.

Back Throw - Ice Arrow - Levi tosses the foe back and shoots an ice shard at them to deal extra damage.

Up Throw – Hailstorm - Levi tosses the opponent up and then unleashes a flurry of quick sword strikes to send them higher.

Specials:
Neutral Special – Blizzard Blade – Levi gathers frost with his sword, forming a blade of ice that he launches forward as a projectile. The ice blade is of moderate size and speed and applies frost in addition to dealing damage.

Neutral Hyper – Freezing Sabre – A faster, multi-hit version of Blizzard Blade that also travels further and applies even more frost to the opponent.

Side Special – Dashing Snow – An aim-able dash that has Levi surge forward while delivering a swift slash. It deals light damage but is good at closing the distances or aiding in recovery.

Side Hyper – Snowstorm – Levi's slash now deals several hits that linger behind him. (Think Vergil's Rapid Slash from Marvel vs Capcom or Sephiroth's Octaslash from Smash.)

I got rid of the name Salome because quite honestly, I have no idea what it has to do with Levi as a dragon or his ice abilities. Not sure if you were referencing something super specific here, maybe you could elaborate?

Up Special - Arctic Wind – A high leaping slash, enhanced by icy winds.

Up Hyper – Arctic Dragon – The attack now goes higher and deals several hits along with much higher damage.

Down Special – Frostshine – A counterattack. Levi takes a defensive stance with a snowflake-shaped sigil appearing around him. The counter strikes at 1.2x the power of the move that hit Levi while also applying frost.

Down Hyper – Cold Front – The counter now deals 1.5x the damage and unleashes a wave of cold air that can deals damage to anyone else close by. It also applies twice as much frost as the normal version.

Hypermax Attacks -
Level 1 – Polarus Install – An install super where Levi coats himself in ice armor, including a pair of wings. For the duration of the transformation, Levi is stronger, faster and gains an additional 2 jumps in the air.
Level 2 - Cold Touch - A sudden strike with a particularly powerful stab that instantly freezes opponents.
Level 3 - The Icy Leviathan - Transforming into a serpent, Levi breaths a chilling air that freezes any opponents who touch it.

View attachment 387412

Chell – Zoner/Mix Up

Gimmick - Venomous - Chell can apply the Poison status using a variety of moves involving her venom.

Ground Moves:
Jab – Hunter's Knife – A 3-hit slashing combo using Chell's hunting knife.
Forward Tilt – Hunter's Boot – Chell performs a strong forward kick.

Forward Tilt (High Angle) – Throwing Knife – Chell throws out a throwing knife at an upward diagonal angle.

Forward Tilt (Low Angle) -Venom Spitter – Chell spits venom (like one would spit into a spittoon or on the ground) at a low angle, toward the ground. Deals no knockback and very light damage, but inflicts Poison on the opponent.

Up Tilt – Asp Fang - Chell performs an ax kick.
Down Tilt – Grass Cutter – While crouched, Chell slashes with her hunting knife.
Back Tilt – Quick Draw - Chell suddenly turns around and fires.
Dash Attack – Sliding Shot – Chell drops onto her back, sliding forward, while firing her gun.

Charge Attacks:
Side Charge – Point Blank - Chell takes aim and fires, producing a short range blast. Can be angled up or down.
Up Charge – Python Kick – Chell performs a wide kick, starting low and circling up and around herself.
Down Charge – Circling Boa - Chell balances on foot and spins around, sliding her other leg along the ground in a sweeping roundhouse kick.

Aerials:
Neutral Air - Twin Snakes - A forward kick, followed by a roundhouse. The first hit links into the second.
Forward Air – Cobra Heel – Chell raises her leg and then swings it down for a midair ax kick. Spikes.
Up Air – Viper Slash – Chell performs an overhead slash with her hunting knife.
Down Air – Air Shot – Chell takes aim and fires her gun downward at a diagonal angle. Strongest at point blank, but can still land hits at a short range.
Back Air – Blind Spot – Chell slings her gun over her should and fires backward without turning around.

Grabs:
Pummel - Knee Jab
Forward Throw – Serpent Tail -
A fierce kick, launching the opponent forward.
Down Throw – Snake Bite - Chell bites the opponent, inflicting the Poison status. The opponent then crumples to the floor. (Similar to Snake's Down Throw.)
Back Throw – Double Tap - Chell performs a judo throw, turning around and slamming the opponent into the ground. She then shoots the downed opponent while they're still on the ground.
Up Throw – Clay Pigeon – Chell tosses the opponent up high and then follows up with a shot from her gun.

Specials:
Neutral Special – Hunting Sniper – Chell readies her weapon and takes aim, firing a bullet that travels fast and can reach from across the stage. (From one end of FD to the other for example.) Doesn't deal much knockback, but good damage.

Neutral Hyper – Venom Cartridge – Chells bites down onto a special cartridge, filling it with her venom. She then loads it into her gun. Now, for a short duration, all attacks involving her gun (except Side Special) will deal a little extra damage and apply the Poison status.

Side Special – Grenade Launcher – Chell uses her guns alternative fire, shooting out a grenade a short distance forward. The grenade explodes on contact with a surface or an opponent.

Side Hyper – Poison Fog Grenade – The grenade fired now explodes into a cloud of poison smoke that lingers on stage for a short while.

Up Special – Serpent Wheel – Chell performs a leaping pinwheel kick. (Similar to Juri's Senpusha/Tensenrin from Street Fighter.)

Up Hyper – Ouroboros – Chell spins faster, unleashing more kicks for extra hits. Goes higher and deals much more damage overall.

Down Special – Viper Bomb – Chell places a small bomb on the ground that she can detonate remotely. If an opponent is close enough, she can attach it to them instead.

Down Hyper – Viper Mine – Chell buries a mine in the ground. It is much more powerful and has a larger blast radius but cannot be detonated remotely. It will trigger via proximity, so Chell needs to be mindful of it's location as well.

Hypermax Attacks -
Level 1 - Snake Eyes - Chell performs a cold stare, eyes flashing gold, paralyzing the opponent. The flash has a moderate horizontal range, covering a set distance in her line of site meaning you can stun opponents even from further away. The initial flash deals light damage but the opponent will remain stunned for a few seconds allowing for follow ups. If used in the air, the opponent will slowly fall while paralyzed.

Level 2 – Venom Overdose - Chell extends her neck, shooting forward to bite opponents. The opponent she catches will be briefly held in place as she pumps them full of venom. Deals massive damage and inflicts Poison, but no knockback.

Level 3 - Black Venom - Chell pulls out her most potent bullet and loads it into her gun. Coated in the venom of the Viprex Deathadder, the most venomous creature in the galaxy, foes hit by it will be instantly KO'd if they exceed 150%. The bullet itself deals a whopping 50% on its own, but its small size makes it hard to land. Make sure you've lined up the perfect shot.
This is VERY good, but also a lot for me to take in, might take some time to read.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
This is VERY good, but also a lot for me to take in, might take some time to read.
Also, because I still forgot something. Relative progress on the other batch posts.

Batch 2 – Reworks of Wynnie, Weevle, EPSILON and LAMBDA. - 20%, Wynnie is coming along smoothly, the other 3 are taking a while because my reworks are actually changing a lot. EPSILON's direction in particular is the hardest to figure out.

I probably shouldn't be jumping around so much between characters either, so I'm going to try and focus on finishing this batch to adhere to the plan.

Batch 3 – Reworks of Kowalski, Wyrm & Tamm and a minor review/rework of Rudder. - 40%

Batch 4 – Challengers Approaching - 80%

Batch 5 – Stage Concepts Part I - 40%, Comprised of 3 stages btw.

Batch 6 – Stage Concepts Part II - 0% (Won't start until I finish Part 1.)

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I like these concepts, though I prefer that you also use the template to give the characters their potential stats, strengths, and weaknesses, that way I can better picture them AND make them easier to transcribe onto the OP. Also, you better not remove Eruption (Wynnie's Up Tilt) and Solar Eclipse (Her Up Air) since I designed those two moves to combo into each other.

Also Slalom is a type of skiing, so it would fit with Levi's general ice theme.

Name - Levi
Gender - Male
Species - Polarus Dracon
Origin -
Draden, a planet locked in eternal stasis with its sun thanks to a prehistoric meteor, created a place of extremes. On the surface of Draden is a endless ocean of frozen glaciers and snow white sand, with the excess heat creating a molten core. These extremes have caused the natives of the planet, the reptilian Dracons, to split into two subspecies to better live in their respective environments. Despite differences in appearances, the Dracons have been living in relative harmony with one another, mainly because they have been distracted by another element of their homeworld, ores. The climate extremes have caused several types of rare metals to develop in the mines, which offer a variety of different functions, so Draden has become a surprisingly popular hub of trade, though trade is usually done for the safety of Dragon's Maw, a mech of trade and business found on their moon Scala. However, that environment also attracts various smugglers, so to counter this, the Dracons have formed their own police organization, the Galactic Commerce Guild, or GCG to counter galactic smuggling. Recently, with the Double Sigma reappearing, there have been concerns that smugglers have taken control of the ship for a heist, so Levi, one of the best officers on the job, decides to investigate with his rookie Wynnie. With his delicate hold of the trigger, or in this case, handle, Levi is a natural on this mission.

Appearance - Modeled after geckos and salamanders, Levi has pale blue skin and deep blue eyes. His teeth are completely serrated, though he does not have as pronounced fangs as Wynnie. His tail has white accents underneath has a shorter length than Wynnie's tail but a wider width. He weas a typical attire one would see on a Fire Emblem esc character, with a gold sword that has snow white trimmings. Levi's headcrest has three pronounced curved spikes.

Archetype - Spacer
Gimmick - Tipper
  • Levi's sword, Frostpunk, has a sharp tip, meaning any attacks directed at the tip deals more damage and knockback.
Intended Strengths -
  • Levi has solid stats all around, including the fastest walking speed in the game, this makes him a very balanced character for beginners to play.
  • All of Levi's moves have a good balance between combo-potential and kill-power.
  • Levi lacks any debilitating weaknesses, making him the most consistent member of the cast.
Intended Weaknesses -
  • While Levi has balanced stats, he doesn't excel at one field in particular aside from walking speed, having middling weight and overall mobility.
  • Levi's tipper mechanic can be prone to wiffing if not mastered, meaning he has troubles killing sometimes.
  • While he does have improved melee-range, he lacks a projectile to use, meaning he struggles against projectile users.

Planned Stats: (Give a letter grade from E- to A+)
Walk Speed -
A
Running Speed - B+
Traction - B+
Jump Height - A
Air Acceleration - B
Fall Speed - B
Weight - B-

Ground Moves:
Jab - Ice Crest -
A single upward thrust with the sword, radiating an icy mist, getting hit by the base of the sword sends the opponent upwards while the tip sends them backwards.
Forward Tilt - Icefall - A downward angled stab from above, with the tip radiating a cyan glow to dictate its power.
Up Tilt - Splinter Shards - A rapid-fire multi-hit move above where Levi stabs upwards, dealing many small hits to juggle opponents.
Down Tilt - Tip Trip -Levi tries to trip the opponent with his sword, the tip has the highest chance to trip the opponent.
Back Tilt - Polar Cutter - A sideways slash from the back that hits both sides, though the hit from the back deals much more damage and knockback than the front.

Charge Attacks:
Side Charge - Ice Breaker -
Levi coats his sword in ice to smash into the opponent, a good attack with splash damage from the ice chunks.
Up Charge - Frozen Spear - Levi skewers upwards with his sword, with artic winds bellowing around him to send his foes upwards.
Down Charge - Avalanche - Levi stabs the ground, causing two spikes of ice to jut from each side, his longest range charge attack, albeit one with only decent power.

Aerials:
Neutral Air - Freeze Cutter -
A quick triple spin in the air, the edges dealing the most damage and knockback.
Forward Air - Hailmaester - A speedy forwards slash, among the quickest moves of its type and has decent combo potential.
Down Air - Waning Moon - A downward slash that creates a potent spike if you hit the tipper of the move.
Back Air - Ice Spear - A thrusting stab back, the tip being a great KO move, a great combo ender.

Grabs:
Pummel - Knee Jab -
Levi attacks the opponent with his knee, among the faster pummels in the game.
Forward Throw - Artic Arch - A simple throw forwards in the arch, the arch isn't that strong but it is good for combos.
Down Throw - Icicle Fall - A downwards toss where the foe gets stunned by artic winds, another good combo throw.
Back Throw - Ice Rocket - A kill throw where Levi tosses the foe back and stabs them with his sword.
Up Throw - Upper Freezer - A kill throw where Levi thrusts his sword upwards to launch opponents upwards.

Specials:
Neutral Special - Blizzardus Blade -
Mist swirls around Levi's sword, which he then charges for a forward thrust. In the later stages of the move's charge the opponent will be sucked inward to better line up the thrust.
  • Neutral Hyper - Sheer Cold Slice - A vertical cut that has Levi's sword billows a crest of icy mist. When hit at just the right spot the crest can freeze opponents solid.
Side Special - Sky Salome - An aimable dash in the air where Levi frantically slashes with all his might, good for both attacking and recovery, though you'll be sent into freefall afterwards.
  • Side Hyper - Skycutter Salome - The attack lasts longer and quicker, though the individual slashes are weaker, with the exception of a powerful final slash.
Down Special - Counter - A standard counter-attack, strike a defensive pose, and when Levi gets attacked, he instead reflects the attack back at increased power. Sends foes in an upward angle.
  • Down Hyper - Frostshine - The counter now has a snowflake-shaped crystal enveloping it, the counter lasts a shorter duration, but the counter now freezes opponents if it connects.
Up Special - Frostpunk - A powerful slash upwards that can be manipulated left or right, a great vertical recovery tool, after usage, Levi enters freefall.
  • Up Hyper - Great Frostpunk - The vertical slash goes higher than usual, and the end of the attack deals a powerful burst of ice to KO opponents.
Hypermax Attacks -
Level 1 - Winterfall -
A plunge downwards that causes Levi's sword to erupt a of row icy geysers to launch opponents upwards.
Level 3 - The Icy Leviathan - Transforming into a serpent, Levi breaths a chilling spear of ice that buries foes on the ground and freezes people in the air.

Name - Wynnie
Gender - Female
Species - Magmatic Dracon
Origin -
Wynnie is a new rookie for the GCG, joining only a few months prior to the start of the story. Wynnie is a Magmatic Dracon, the fiery cousins of the Polarus Dracons, who work together to stop intergalactic smugling. This fiery backstory leads to an equally fiery passion for the job. Unfortunately, despite her best efforts, Wynnie is quite notorious for her, well... bombastic tendencies. To temper with her... unique methods the GCG decided to partner her up with the straight-laced Levi to teach her the ropes of the jobs. That went well... for like a few days, as after her recent reassignment, the Double Sigma reappeared. Being the only two on patrol, Wynnie and Levi were tasked with investigating the ship for fears of a smuggling ring hijacking the ship, putting them in conflict with LAMBDA, her army, and each other's sanity.

Appearance - Wynnie is modeled after more desert dwelling reptiles and she has a red color scheme with orange accents on her tail. Unlike Levi her tail is longer in length but thinner in width. She has very pronounced canines and small brown scaly barbs on her shoulders as well as a pair of two large head horns resembling those of a ram. The axe she wields is bronze in color with red accents.

Archetype - Spacer/Bruiser
Gimmick - Gripper
  • Wynnie's axe, the Volcanox, has a very powerful head that deals great knockback and damage, though the rest of the axe is quite weak.
Intended Strengths -
  • Wynnie has the highest raw damage in the game, with several moves that can kill in earlier percents.
  • Wynnie's low traction allows her to perform excellent wavedashes due to the sheer length they travel.
  • Wynnie's high weight combined with a small frame makes her surprising hard to KO.
Intended Weaknesses -
  • Wynnie lacks true combos, since her attacks often deal too much knockback to form one.
  • Having the lowest traction in the game means Wynnie has the least precise movement of the cast.
  • Wynnie is the oddest character to control due to her funky movement stats and strange properties of her moves.

Walk Speed -
C
Running Speed - B+
Traction - E-
Jump Height - B
Air Acceleration - C
Fall Speed - B
Weight - A-

Ground Moves:
Jab - Flamehilt -
A downwards slash from Wynnie's axe, the force of which sends opponents back a good distance.
Forward Tilt - Charcoal Chop - A sideways chopping attack with some force, like a lumberjack chops a tree, the middle of the attack deals the most damage.
Up Tilt - Eruption - A slow powerful slash that leaves burns the ground with magmatic energy, a powerful spiking option a terrifying read.
Down Tilt - Trip Tip - Wynnie tries to trip the opponent with her axe, the base has the highest chance to trip the opponent.
Back Tilt - Sun Cutter - A diagonal slash from the back that hits the ground, also a good spiking option that is safer but harder to aim.
Dash Attack - Burner Blade - A spinning saw attack that has Wynnie spinning frantically, quite laggy in the end as Wynnie gets a bit dizzy afterwards, but very powerful.

Charge Attacks:
Side Charge - Flare Cutter -
Wynnie charges her arms to perform a reckless twin spin attack, the spinning motion moves her a bit forward.
Up Charge - Heavy Nova - Wynnie swings her axe above her head, it has some weight to it, but it also has some high start-up as Wynnie struggles to lift her axe into an arch, turns out having a giant battle axe doesn't make you all that agile.
Down Charge - Fissure - Wynnie's powerful axe slash sends a shockwave made of fire forward. This attack is unique as the damage is quite weak, however when fully charged it is garanteed to trip the opponent.

Aerials:
Neutral Air - Red Crest -
A slow double spin in the air, the center of the attack dealing more damage and knockback.
Forward Air - Ash Blazer - Wynnie's quickest aerial, where Wynnie quickly slashes forward, making it good to set up into small combos.
Up Air - Solar Eclipse - An upwards bash used for juggling opponents, with some fiery energy trailing the attack.
Down Air - Lunar Eclipse - Winding up for a powerful slam with her axe, Wynnie crashes forward with a deadly attack that can spike.
Back Air - Crimson MotionA strong reckless kick from behind, which causes Wynnie to jut her axe forwards for a weaker hit in front.

Grabs:
Pummel - Knee Jab -
Wynnie attacks the opponent with her knee, among the faster pummels in the game.
Forward Throw - Corona Crosser - A strong throw that has the foe get bashed into the ground with Wynnie's axe, burying them.
Down Throw - Stomping Grounds - Performing a series of fast stomps onto the opponent, Wynnie then kicks them backwards.
Back Throw - Scalding Suplex - Wynnie tosses the foe over her shoulders to perform a potent kill throw.
Up Throw - Upper Burner - A kill throw where Levi thrusts her axe upwards to launch opponents upwards.

Specials:
Neutral Special - Scalding Spinner -
Wynnie spins herself into a tornado, quickly dashing across the ground. She is invincible during this attack, but the end-lag makes it not an attack to spam.
  • Neutral Hyper - Burning Trail - The attack is stronger, and it also leaves behind a fire trail that acts as a lingering hazard for foes to avoid.
Side Special - Corona Cutter - Wynnie jumps over projectiles as she leaps forward for a powerful slashing attack before crashing down onto the ground.
  • Side Hyper - Volcano Cutter - The cut this attack performs is much more pronounced, and Wynnie leaps in a larger arch forward.
Down Special - Counter - A standard counter-attack, strike a defensive pose, and when Wynnie gets attacked, she instead reflects the attack back at increased power. Sends foes in an backwards angle.
  • Down Hyper - Burnshine - The counter now has a flaming shaped crystal enveloping it, the counter lasts a shorter duration, but the counter now burns opponents if it connects, disabling their meter.
Up Special - Volcanox - A truncated slash upwards that is followed by a fast dropkick either forwards or diagonally downwards. This sends Wynnie into freefall after use.
  • Up Hyper - Great Volcanox - The height this attack performs is more pronounced, and then Wynnie crashes into the ground with a fiery explosion.
Hypermax Attacks -
Level 1 - Burning Winds -
A plunge downwards that causes Wynnie's axe to erupt a of row fiery explosions to launch opponents backwards.
Level 2 - Burning Rapture - A sudden strike with a particularly powerful slice that burns foes alive.
Level 3 - The Burning Wyvern - Transforming into a dragon, Wynnie conjures a great pillar of fire to carry foes upwards towards their doom, any survivors of the attack gets burned.

Hey Kirbeh Kirbeh I decided to finally update Levi and Wynnie's movesets to better fit the new format, how do they look?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I like these concepts, though I prefer that you also use the template to give the characters their potential stats, strengths, and weaknesses, that way I can better picture them AND make them easier to transcribe onto the OP. Also, you better not remove Eruption (Wynnie's Up Tilt) and Solar Eclipse (Her Up Air) since I designed those two moves to combo into each other.

Also Slalom is a type of skiing, so it would fit with Levi's general ice theme.
I omitted the stats as I didn't intend to make any major changes to those.

You meant slalom? That's why I say you need to proofread. You originally wrote Salome, which is just a name, so I though you we're making some reference to an actual person.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I omitted the stats as I didn't intend to make any major changes to those.

You meant slalom? That's why I say you need to proofread. You originally wrote Salome, which is just a name, so I though you we're making some reference to an actual person.
Otherwise the movesets looks good, Chell's change is one I'm a bit mixed but I like its concepts.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Otherwise the movesets looks good, Chell's change is one I'm a bit mixed but I like its concepts.
To be perfectly honest, the main reason Chell has so many changes is because I felt the original move set felt clunky and unfocused. It's another case where I feel you could easily split the ideas there into two more distinct characters.

Plus, we're starting to get close to having too many bruiser type characters. LAMBDA, Rudder, Ahab, Erycles, and the one I haven't shown you yet.

So, in Chell's case, I moved her play style in the direction of a zoner while still being more of a mix up character with some light stage control. She is less of a bruiser, but still applies lots of pressure with Poison. A change I actually think is for the better, as being among the heavy hitters while also having a damage over time gimmick would be a bit overpowered.
  • Neutral Special is her long-range projectile.
  • Side Special is a mid-range projectile.
  • Down Special and Down/Side Hyper are traps/stage control tools.
  • Moves with venom keeps the pressure on opponents, allowing her to rack up damage quickly even with short combos.
  • Many of her moves are now kicks to make use of her tall figure and to try to play into her snake theming.
  • Her gun/kit has less extra stuff crammed into it to focus more on the gunslinger/sharpshooter aspect.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
To be perfectly honest, the main reason Chell has so many changes is because I felt the original move set felt clunky and unfocused. It's another case where I feel you could easily split the ideas there into two more distinct characters.

Plus, we're starting to get close to having too many bruiser type characters. LAMBDA, Rudder, Ahab, Erycles, and the one I haven't shown you yet.

So, in Chell's case, I moved her play style in the direction of a zoner while still being more of a mix up character with some light stage control. She is less of a bruiser, but still applies lots of pressure with Poison. A change I actually think is for the better, as being among the heavy hitters while also having a damage over time gimmick would be a bit overpowered.
  • Neutral Special is her long-range projectile.
  • Side Special is a mid-range projectile.
  • Down Special and Down/Side Hyper are traps/stage control tools.
  • Moves with venom keeps the pressure on opponents, allowing her to rack up damage quickly even with short combos.
  • Many of her moves are now kicks to make use of her tall figure and to try to play into her snake theming.
  • Her gun/kit has less extra stuff crammed into it to focus more on the gunslinger/sharpshooter aspect.
I see where your going, I do quite like the moveset. I wonder how you'll change Weevle, I am curious about that.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Since I already alluded to "the one I haven't shown," I'll go ahead and show his first sketch as a preview of sorts.
guyhawks.png
The character is Gaius "Guy" Hawks. A more "traditional" grappler style character whose species is inspired by the mythological eagle/lion hybrid, the griffon. His move set is actually already complete but I'm saving the post until I finish the remaining members of the "Challenger Approaching" post. That batch is comprised of my own characters, including the previously shown Erycles, who is also already done.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Also, you better not remove Eruption (Wynnie's Up Tilt) and Solar Eclipse (Her Up Air) since I designed those two moves to combo into each other.
I'm keeping the intended function but I'm absolutely changing the name and description. What you have currently:

Up Tilt - Eruption - A slow powerful slash that leaves burns the ground with magmatic energy, a powerful spiking option a terrifying read.
It's very sloppily written.

I see where your going, I do quite like the moveset. I wonder how you'll change Weevle, I am curious about that.
If I have the time to wrap her's up tomorrow, I may just post Wynnie and Weevle and leave the two robots for their own post. Might be for the best so I can try to accompany theirs (EP/LAM) with drawings. Make it easier to show you what I'm changing and why.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Since I already alluded to "the one I haven't shown," I'll go ahead and show his first sketch as a preview of sorts.
The character is Gaius "Guy" Hawks. A more "traditional" grappler style character whose species is inspired by the mythological eagle/lion hybrid, the griffon. His move set is actually already complete but I'm saving the post until I finish the remaining members of the "Challenger Approaching" post. That batch is comprised of my own characters, including the previously shown Erycles, who is also already done.
So a flying wrestler, reminds me of Alex from SF3 I imagine he would be a friendly rival to Ahab, and he should also have an alternate costume based on Rawk Hawk from Thousand Year Door.

I also had a concept to a extra fighter of my own, basically a spiritual successor to my original concept with Weevle's scrapped Blood Meter, but also mixing concepts with Chacka from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Heritage for the Future due to being a sword wielding stance changer.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I'm keeping the intended function but I'm absolutely changing the name and description. What you have currently:

It's very sloppily written.

If I have the time to wrap her's up tomorrow, I may just post Wynnie and Weevle and leave the two robots for their own post. Might be for the best so I can try to accompany theirs (EP/LAM) with drawings. Make it easier to show you what I'm changing and why.
Eruption is like Ganondorf's Volcano Kick, just that's its an actual axe swing instead of a vertical axe kick. UNLIKE Volcano Kick, it actually has confirms into the move.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Eruption is like Ganondorf's Volcano Kick, just that's its an actual axe swing instead of a vertical axe kick. UNLIKE Volcano Kick, it actually has confirms into the move.
So, it's not like Volcano Kick at all then...

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
So a flying wrestler, reminds me of Alex from SF3 I imagine he would be a friendly rival to Ahab, and he should also have an alternate costume based on Rawk Hawk from Thousand Year Door.

I also had a concept to a extra fighter of my own, basically a spiritual successor to my original concept with Weevle's scrapped Blood Meter, but also mixing concepts with Chacka from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Heritage for the Future due to being a sword wielding stance changer.
I hadn't gone as far as to consider his alts yet, but one based on Rawk Hawk is a definite must now that you mention it.

As for your new fighter concept, I'm curious to see what you have in mind. Chaka himself isn't very remarkable (no offense) in HftF, so I'm unsure of what you intend to pull from him. Not to say that he doesn't have a cool fighting style, but he's pretty standard as far as swordsmen go.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I hadn't gone as far as to consider his alts yet, but one based on Rawk Hawk is a definite must now that you mention it.

As for your new fighter concept, I'm curious to see what you have in mind. Chaka himself isn't very remarkable (no offense) in HftF, so I'm unsure of what you intend to pull from him. Not to say that he doesn't have a cool fighting style, but he's pretty standard as far as swordsmen go.
My idea was basically someone named Shae, who is a Stygian the same relative age as Weevle. Stygians are essentially a race of nocturnal beings who can be seen as a cross between a bat and a lynx, they are from beyond the galaxy like Weevle and are quite a religious bunch. They worship the Dreadmaw, a pool of strange black and purple ooze said to be a pool from which primordial life spawned. Her clan was wiped out after some feral G'nats raided the planet, causing her to get fatally wounded by one of those species long stingers. This caused Shae's spirit to be corrupted by rage against the species and the essence of the Dreadmaw brought her back to life at a cost. Now essentially a wraith, the stinger that stabbed Shae formed into a notched katana from the force of the Dreadmaw, and now Shae is out for vengeance against the G'nat population. However the sword she carries corrupts her into a feral state, meaning she will only unsheath it at the most dire scenarios.

Gameplay wise Shae is a stance changer, she normally has her blade sheathed and she attacks with quick but weak monk-like strikes. While fast she is among the weakest characters raw damage whise, and her specials aren't that amazing all things considered. However all attacks she dishes out fill up a Blood Meter of sorts which she can spend by unsheathing her sword and becoming a feral shadow like creature. In this state she rapidly loses her Blood Meter, which gets spent on powerful katana strikes and devastating specials, some of the strongest in the game. However be wary as if she empties her Blood Meter she will rapidly gain percent, just like Pichu, this combined with her light weight makes her a very volitile character to play as.

How does this look so far?

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Bruh for all this time I misread Captain Commando's Captain Corridor attack from MVC 2 as Captain CONDOR all this time, and only yesterday did I realize my mistake.

Also being a wrestler popular with the masses I think it would be cool for Hawks to gain special command inputs, however, these are called "Crowdpleasers," which are moves he can only perform when he builds a large enough audience. The audience itself being a separate meter from the Hypermax meter, where dealing long combo strings reward Hawks with a roaring audience, allowing him to perform some flashy finishers. However, if he whiffs finishers, then the audience will peter out meaning he needs to get more.

Two Crownpleaser moves I had in mind were Condor Crash and Talon Flash. Condor Crash is performed by performing a Down Air while fastfalling, making you perform a powerful flying press. Meanwhile, Talon Flash is performed by performing an Up Tilt while crouching, working essentially like Guile's Flash Kick. How does that sound.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Bruh for all this time I misread Captain Commando's Captain Corridor attack from MVC 2 as Captain CONDOR all this time, and only yesterday did I realize my mistake.

Also being a wrestler popular with the masses I think it would be cool for Hawks to gain special command inputs, however, these are called "Crowdpleasers," which are moves he can only perform when he builds a large enough audience. The audience itself being a separate meter from the Hypermax meter, where dealing long combo strings reward Hawks with a roaring audience, allowing him to perform some flashy finishers. However, if he whiffs finishers, then the audience will peter out meaning he needs to get more.

Two Crownpleaser moves I had in mind were Condor Crash and Talon Flash. Condor Crash is performed by performing a Down Air while fastfalling, making you perform a powerful flying press. Meanwhile, Talon Flash is performed by performing an Up Tilt while crouching, working essentially like Guile's Flash Kick. How does that sound.
Like I said in the original post, his move set is already complete, though I didn't bother giving him a gimmick.

A Beowulf style hype meter does sound interesting but tbh I intended to leave him without an extra gimmick due the way his his Down Special is meant to work.

Rather than being a single command grab he gets multiple follow ups to choose from.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Like I said in the original post, his move set is already complete, though I didn't bother giving him a gimmick.

A Beowulf style hype meter does sound interesting but tbh I intended to leave him without an extra gimmick due the way his his Down Special is meant to work.

Rather than being a single command grab he gets multiple follow ups to choose from.
Oh neat, I quite like that idea too.

Screenshot (808).png

Also a sneak peak of something brand new... MENUS

Also, I again want to thank you for being a trusting partner, DrCoeloCephalo was someone who broke my trust many months ago so having a girl like you helping me is very appreciated. I feel this collaboration is something we can both be proud of.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Also random thing, I have been referring to you with female pronouns because based off past texts I assumed your a female. Sorry if I got that wrong.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Also random thing, I have been referring to you with female pronouns because based off past texts I assumed your a female. Sorry if I got that wrong.
It's fine, my profile is purposely incomplete for anonymity. It makes no difference to me what you use, nor should you expect confirmation of either.

Either way personal info is off topic and shouldn't be posted in a public thread, but I appreciate that you're genuine/respectful about it.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
It's fine, my profile is purposely incomplete for anonymity. It makes no difference to me what you use, nor should you expect confirmation of either.

Either way personal info is off topic and shouldn't be posted in a public thread, but I appreciate that you're genuine/respectful about it.
Yeah sorry about that, just wanted to explain why I'm talking the say I am

Also yeah we have menus now

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Here is a basic roadmap of my plans for this game

Part 1
Make some fighters and Arcade Mode, then sell to Steam Early Acess

Part 2
Get out of Early Access and along the way add Workshop support

Part 3
Sell on Epic Games Store and Windows Store + Add more fighters

Part 4
Port to Nintendo platforms

Part 5
Port to Xbox and Playstation

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Got bored and made another moveset concept, quite one I like too.
Name - N.O.D.E.
Gender - Unknown
Species - Artificial
Origin -
N.O.D.E. is a artificial lifeform created by the insurgence group DOTCOM, a group of anarchists who believe by having all life have their collective consciousness converted into a computer matrix, all life will be unified and peace will be created world-wide. Their first plan was to create a being who had the capabilities to be the catalyst for such a plan, and so the entire group of DOTCOM sacrifice their minds in an attempt to create this supreme being. However, whether it was due to the leaders having ulterior motives or just to many conflicting minds creating an unstable being, the experiment resulted in the total destruction of the order and led to the "birth" of a unit called N.O.D.E. If it weren't for DOTCOM being destroyed, they would of thought of something that would form an acronym. With no recollection of their goals aside from a broad definition of "unity" N.O.D.E. wanders the galaxy, looking for purpose in their artificial life.

Appearance - N.O.D.E.'s appearance is... unconventional. Being best described as looking like a child-like being not linked to one particular species or gender. Their bodies are made of rough polygons, with some parts glitching out due to their unstable nature. On their backside is a strange eye-like gemstone called a Gene Contortionist, which allows N.O.D.E. to contort their limbs into gangly appendages, convert parts of their bodies into different substances, and even change their shape into many different species. N.O.D.E. flickers through various colors, from magenta, to neon green, to a dull grey, depending of the situation.

Archetype - Punisher/Zoner
Gimmick - Selective Skin Intangibility -
  • N.O.D.E.'s entire body can be made intangible when taking evasive maneuvers, this allows them to turn invisible when dodging or rolling, which is good for confusing opponents.

Intended Strengths -
  • N.O.D.E. has some incredibly funky movement, with untraditional mobility and a unique invisibility property with their dodges and rolls. This makes them a tricky character to track for the opponents.
  • N.O.D.E. has very impressive range, having excellent projectiles and long disjointed limbs that can act as swords, meaning they are hard to keep away.
  • They have some unique specials to their name, such as the unique mixups provided by O-Thunder, to being able to tranform into the opponent via their Gene-Paste Hypermax Attack.

Intended Weaknesses -
  • N.O.D.E.'s funky movement also means awkward to hit hitboxes and a reasonably light weight.
  • Some of their moves have high-end lag to make up for their long range.
  • N.O.D.E.'s tricky abilities makes them unwieldy to the normal player.

Walk Speed -
B-
Running Speed - B+
Traction - B-
Jump Height - B
Air Acceleration - B
Fall Speed - C-
Weight - C-

Ground Moves:
Jab -
Finger Drill -
N.O.D.E. rapidly spins one of their hands like a drill to jab into opponents. The attack can be held to spin continuously.
Forward Tilt - Extendo-Arm - N.O.D.E. extends one of their arms forward, creating a long-range forward tilt held back by poor recovery.
Up Tilt - Flipping Rotation - N.O.D.E. turns upside down to perform an extended kick attack, used to juggle opponents in early percents and kill opponents at higher percents.
Down Tilt - Putty Platter - N.O.D.E. flattens themselves into a thin disk, pushing opponents to the side with even a tripping chance if spaced properly. It is used more as a keep away option, rather than an attack, since it has weak raw damage.
Back Tilt - Eye Burst - N.O.D.E. creates a burst of red energy from the eye-shaped device on their backsides. A very quick back tilt, among the fastest in the game, while also being a strong KO move, but held back due to a lack of range.
Dash Attack - Spinning Kick - A pinwheel kick resembling a breakdance done with N.O.D.E.'s extendable legs, good range and power, and surprising safety despite its reach.

Charge Attacks:
Side Charge -
Power Punch -
A punch performed with an enlarged fist, a safe and fast Charge Attack, but one with middling power.
Up Charge - Electro Bolt - Charging, N.O.D.E. creates a powerful lightning bolt from above, which naturally has great vertical range, but the recovery for the move leaves them very vulnerable.
Down Charge - Volt Flattener - N.O.D.E. tips over to perform a bellyflop, charged with electricity, an odd attack capable of spiking grounded opponents.

Aerials:
Neutral Air -
Crackling Volts -
N.O.D.E. envelops themselves in electricity, among their shortest ranged aerials but also their quickest (one of the quickest in the game in fact) and safest options.
Forward Air - Beanpole Blow - Extending their legs forward, they perform a disjointed downward kick. The joint on their feet deals the most damage and can even spike. The kick may be disjointed, but it is quite laggy.
Up Air - Upwards Drill - An upwards series of drilling kicks, a complete inversion of a traditional drill kick attack since its an up air rather than down air. Has the same strengths and weaknesses of such a move.
Down Air - Oddball Spinner - Angled downwards N.O.D.E. tucks themselves in like a disk to spin around, its weirdly thin hitbox belies a good juggling tool.
Back Air - Force Kick - Charged with electricity, N.O.D.E. performs a powerful kick backwards. This is a great kill move, albeit one with quite weirdly stubby range.

Grabs:
Pummel -
Plasma Pummel -
N.O.D.E. shocks the opponent with electricity.
Forward Throw - Extending Tosser - An elongated toss forward, crashing the foes into the ground.
Down Throw - Pile Digger - A weak throw that buries the opponent, good for setting up combos.
Back Throw - Flip Flopper - A backwards suplex is performed, slamming the foe into the ground.
Up Throw - Force Uppercut - N.O.D.E. performs an extended uppercut, a weirdly weak move in terms of raw power, but it has some good knockback.

Specials:
Neutral Special -
O-Thunder -
By charging the eye-shaped device on their backside, N.O.D.E. creates an orb of plasma that they can guide by pressing different directional buttons. Eventually, the ball will explode, creating an electrical explosion that deals massive damage in exchange for how hard it is aim.
  • Neutral Hyper - X-Thunder - The orb now goes straight up, with the longer the hold dictating how high it will go, before exploding in an X-shaped pattern. When used in the air the attack instead goes straight down, a good move to intercept recoveries. The move is also able to phase through solid ground, giving it solid ledge-trapping potential.
Side Special - Vortex Ball - N.O.D.E. lobs an arching ball of dark energy forward, the attack alternates through several varying heights and speeds. A good zoning tool for N.O.D.E. to use.
  • Side Hyper - Volt Crawler - Creates a ball of plasma that crawls along the ground, this attack sticks to walls and lingers for a short time.
Down Special - Lightning Strike - An amiable dive kick-like attack where N.O.D.E. dashes forward in the selected direction while wrapped in volts, can be used as a kill move and recovery option.
  • Down Hyper - EMP - N.O.D.E. pauses in either the air or on the ground to launch an echoing ring around themselves that can be triggered to create a powerful pulse of energy. The longer the attack is charged the longer the range, however, it also weakens in power, meaning an EMP at point blank range is also a powerful kill move.
Up Special - X-Axis Slip - A simple teleport created via static, in exchange for doing no damage it has a long range. Sends N.O.D.E. into freefall afterwards.
  • Up Hyper - Y-Axis Slip - The teleport can now be used offensively, creating a burst of energy before and after the attack has been used, also doesn't send N.O.D.E. into freefall.
Hypermax Attacks -
Level 1 - Static Noise -
A command grab where N.O.D.E. levitates the foe with a strange static energy, before bursting said energy with a piecing noise to make them dizzy. A good tool to form combos with.
Level 2 - Draining Wires - N.O.D.E. spawns wires to stab across the ground, anyone caught by these spiked wires will be grabbed and drained of their energy, healing N.O.D.E. in the process.
Level 3 - Gene-Paste - N.O.D.E. transforms into the opponent, allowing them to play as the opponent temporarily. This form has a "health" bar that drains over time, or when N.O.D.E. is damaged, when N.O.D.E. loses all of this form's "health" they return to normal.

I think I realized something, Ahab isn't the problem character, EPSILON is. Ahab has a solid idea, we just don't know how to make a kit for him yet. With EPSILON neither of us know what to do with them and so I think replacing them instead of Ahab would be a better idea. I was going to rework the backstory of the game since I feel it isn't matching up with my current plans, and EPSILON just doesn't make sense in the context of this reworked plot. Plus with N.O.D.E.'s unique aesthetic, they would be more interesting to play as in my humble opinion.

In terms of references, they share a lot with Ness from Earthbound, Necro and Twelve from Street Fighter 3, among other ideas. I tried to focus on how this character has an off-kilter design and moveset, so the odd move ideas are intentional. I do think it needs some work though, I sorta wanted to include some DNA or Gene based moves, but I had 4-special slot syndrome. How would you improve this concept Kirbeh Kirbeh . Also some bad news, my brother isn't able to do art at the moment, disappointed at that, so I am on the search for a new artist, I don't want to overwork you, sorry about the development.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Got bored and made another moveset concept, quite one I like too.
Name - N.O.D.E.
Gender - Unknown
Species - Artificial
Origin -
N.O.D.E. is a artificial lifeform created by the insurgence group DOTCOM, a group of anarchists who believe by having all life have their collective consciousness converted into a computer matrix, all life will be unified and peace will be created world-wide. Their first plan was to create a being who had the capabilities to be the catalyst for such a plan, and so the entire group of DOTCOM sacrifice their minds in an attempt to create this supreme being. However, whether it was due to the leaders having ulterior motives or just to many conflicting minds creating an unstable being, the experiment resulted in the total destruction of the order and led to the "birth" of a unit called N.O.D.E. If it weren't for DOTCOM being destroyed, they would of thought of something that would form an acronym. With no recollection of their goals aside from a broad definition of "unity" N.O.D.E. wanders the galaxy, looking for purpose in their artificial life.

Appearance - N.O.D.E.'s appearance is... unconventional. Being best described as looking like a child-like being not linked to one particular species or gender. Their bodies are made of rough polygons, with some parts glitching out due to their unstable nature. On their backside is a strange eye-like gemstone called a Gene Contortionist, which allows N.O.D.E. to contort their limbs into gangly appendages, convert parts of their bodies into different substances, and even change their shape into many different species. N.O.D.E. flickers through various colors, from magenta, to neon green, to a dull grey, depending of the situation.

Archetype - Punisher/Zoner
Gimmick - Selective Skin Intangibility -
  • N.O.D.E.'s entire body can be made intangible when taking evasive maneuvers, this allows them to turn invisible when dodging or rolling, which is good for confusing opponents.

Intended Strengths -
  • N.O.D.E. has some incredibly funky movement, with untraditional mobility and a unique invisibility property with their dodges and rolls. This makes them a tricky character to track for the opponents.
  • N.O.D.E. has very impressive range, having excellent projectiles and long disjointed limbs that can act as swords, meaning they are hard to keep away.
  • They have some unique specials to their name, such as the unique mixups provided by O-Thunder, to being able to tranform into the opponent via their Gene-Paste Hypermax Attack.

Intended Weaknesses -
  • N.O.D.E.'s funky movement also means awkward to hit hitboxes and a reasonably light weight.
  • Some of their moves have high-end lag to make up for their long range.
  • N.O.D.E.'s tricky abilities makes them unwieldy to the normal player.

Walk Speed -
B-
Running Speed - B+
Traction - B-
Jump Height - B
Air Acceleration - B
Fall Speed - C-
Weight - C-

Ground Moves:
Jab -
Finger Drill -
N.O.D.E. rapidly spins one of their hands like a drill to jab into opponents. The attack can be held to spin continuously.
Forward Tilt - Extendo-Arm - N.O.D.E. extends one of their arms forward, creating a long-range forward tilt held back by poor recovery.
Up Tilt - Flipping Rotation - N.O.D.E. turns upside down to perform an extended kick attack, used to juggle opponents in early percents and kill opponents at higher percents.
Down Tilt - Putty Platter - N.O.D.E. flattens themselves into a thin disk, pushing opponents to the side with even a tripping chance if spaced properly. It is used more as a keep away option, rather than an attack, since it has weak raw damage.
Back Tilt - Eye Burst - N.O.D.E. creates a burst of red energy from the eye-shaped device on their backsides. A very quick back tilt, among the fastest in the game, while also being a strong KO move, but held back due to a lack of range.
Dash Attack - Spinning Kick - A pinwheel kick resembling a breakdance done with N.O.D.E.'s extendable legs, good range and power, and surprising safety despite its reach.

Charge Attacks:
Side Charge -
Power Punch -
A punch performed with an enlarged fist, a safe and fast Charge Attack, but one with middling power.
Up Charge - Electro Bolt - Charging, N.O.D.E. creates a powerful lightning bolt from above, which naturally has great vertical range, but the recovery for the move leaves them very vulnerable.
Down Charge - Volt Flattener - N.O.D.E. tips over to perform a bellyflop, charged with electricity, an odd attack capable of spiking grounded opponents.

Aerials:
Neutral Air -
Crackling Volts -
N.O.D.E. envelops themselves in electricity, among their shortest ranged aerials but also their quickest (one of the quickest in the game in fact) and safest options.
Forward Air - Beanpole Blow - Extending their legs forward, they perform a disjointed downward kick. The joint on their feet deals the most damage and can even spike. The kick may be disjointed, but it is quite laggy.
Up Air - Upwards Drill - An upwards series of drilling kicks, a complete inversion of a traditional drill kick attack since its an up air rather than down air. Has the same strengths and weaknesses of such a move.
Down Air - Oddball Spinner - Angled downwards N.O.D.E. tucks themselves in like a disk to spin around, its weirdly thin hitbox belies a good juggling tool.
Back Air - Force Kick - Charged with electricity, N.O.D.E. performs a powerful kick backwards. This is a great kill move, albeit one with quite weirdly stubby range.

Grabs:
Pummel -
Plasma Pummel -
N.O.D.E. shocks the opponent with electricity.
Forward Throw - Extending Tosser - An elongated toss forward, crashing the foes into the ground.
Down Throw - Pile Digger - A weak throw that buries the opponent, good for setting up combos.
Back Throw - Flip Flopper - A backwards suplex is performed, slamming the foe into the ground.
Up Throw - Force Uppercut - N.O.D.E. performs an extended uppercut, a weirdly weak move in terms of raw power, but it has some good knockback.

Specials:
Neutral Special -
O-Thunder -
By charging the eye-shaped device on their backside, N.O.D.E. creates an orb of plasma that they can guide by pressing different directional buttons. Eventually, the ball will explode, creating an electrical explosion that deals massive damage in exchange for how hard it is aim.
  • Neutral Hyper - X-Thunder - The orb now goes straight up, with the longer the hold dictating how high it will go, before exploding in an X-shaped pattern. When used in the air the attack instead goes straight down, a good move to intercept recoveries. The move is also able to phase through solid ground, giving it solid ledge-trapping potential.
Side Special - Vortex Ball - N.O.D.E. lobs an arching ball of dark energy forward, the attack alternates through several varying heights and speeds. A good zoning tool for N.O.D.E. to use.
  • Side Hyper - Volt Crawler - Creates a ball of plasma that crawls along the ground, this attack sticks to walls and lingers for a short time.
Down Special - Lightning Strike - An amiable dive kick-like attack where N.O.D.E. dashes forward in the selected direction while wrapped in volts, can be used as a kill move and recovery option.
  • Down Hyper - EMP - N.O.D.E. pauses in either the air or on the ground to launch an echoing ring around themselves that can be triggered to create a powerful pulse of energy. The longer the attack is charged the longer the range, however, it also weakens in power, meaning an EMP at point blank range is also a powerful kill move.
Up Special - X-Axis Slip - A simple teleport created via static, in exchange for doing no damage it has a long range. Sends N.O.D.E. into freefall afterwards.
  • Up Hyper - Y-Axis Slip - The teleport can now be used offensively, creating a burst of energy before and after the attack has been used, also doesn't send N.O.D.E. into freefall.
Hypermax Attacks -
Level 1 - Static Noise -
A command grab where N.O.D.E. levitates the foe with a strange static energy, before bursting said energy with a piecing noise to make them dizzy. A good tool to form combos with.
Level 2 - Draining Wires - N.O.D.E. spawns wires to stab across the ground, anyone caught by these spiked wires will be grabbed and drained of their energy, healing N.O.D.E. in the process.
Level 3 - Gene-Paste - N.O.D.E. transforms into the opponent, allowing them to play as the opponent temporarily. This form has a "health" bar that drains over time, or when N.O.D.E. is damaged, when N.O.D.E. loses all of this form's "health" they return to normal.

I think I realized something, Ahab isn't the problem character, EPSILON is. Ahab has a solid idea, we just don't know how to make a kit for him yet. With EPSILON neither of us know what to do with them and so I think replacing them instead of Ahab would be a better idea. I was going to rework the backstory of the game since I feel it isn't matching up with my current plans, and EPSILON just doesn't make sense in the context of this reworked plot. Plus with N.O.D.E.'s unique aesthetic, they would be more interesting to play as in my humble opinion.

In terms of references, they share a lot with Ness from Earthbound, Necro and Twelve from Street Fighter 3, among other ideas. I tried to focus on how this character has an off-kilter design and moveset, so the odd move ideas are intentional. I do think it needs some work though, I sorta wanted to include some DNA or Gene based moves, but I had 4-special slot syndrome. How would you improve this concept Kirbeh Kirbeh . Also some bad news, my brother isn't able to do art at the moment, disappointed at that, so I am on the search for a new artist, I don't want to overwork you, sorry about the development.
Overall, I really like the idea for NODE (the character concept itself, not so much the backstory tbh), though this is a case where I think having them debut in a 3D game would suit them the best given their design being rudimentary polygon shapes. Based on your descriptions I imagine them as a sort of composite version of Smash's Fighting Polygon Team and the Alloys.

Some additional points:
  • You'd better have a really good meaning for the DOTCOM acronym, otherwise it's going to be the bad kind of cheesy.
  • Up Special and Up Hyper could use a name change as their actual function and the naming association with the x and y axis don't match up.
  • Given their appearance and intended odd movement, this is definitely a character to save for a future update rather than base. While they're intended to be made of simple shapes, the animations themselves would need to be more complex to really sell the movement/shapeshifting that they're capable of.
On Ahab, I intend to go forward with the revision from my write unless you have anything other recommendations to make.

As for EPSILON, I'd like to hear what the reworked plot for Sigma Busters is going to be, I still had every intent of making a rework for them, but if you're changing the story, that's something I want to keep in mind.

My idea was basically someone named Shae, who is a Stygian the same relative age as Weevle. Stygians are essentially a race of nocturnal beings who can be seen as a cross between a bat and a lynx, they are from beyond the galaxy like Weevle and are quite a religious bunch. They worship the Dreadmaw, a pool of strange black and purple ooze said to be a pool from which primordial life spawned. Her clan was wiped out after some feral G'nats raided the planet, causing her to get fatally wounded by one of those species long stingers. This caused Shae's spirit to be corrupted by rage against the species and the essence of the Dreadmaw brought her back to life at a cost. Now essentially a wraith, the stinger that stabbed Shae formed into a notched katana from the force of the Dreadmaw, and now Shae is out for vengeance against the G'nat population. However the sword she carries corrupts her into a feral state, meaning she will only unsheath it at the most dire scenarios.

Gameplay wise Shae is a stance changer, she normally has her blade sheathed and she attacks with quick but weak monk-like strikes. While fast she is among the weakest characters raw damage whise, and her specials aren't that amazing all things considered. However all attacks she dishes out fill up a Blood Meter of sorts which she can spend by unsheathing her sword and becoming a feral shadow like creature. In this state she rapidly loses her Blood Meter, which gets spent on powerful katana strikes and devastating specials, some of the strongest in the game. However be wary as if she empties her Blood Meter she will rapidly gain percent, just like Pichu, this combined with her light weight makes her a very volitile character to play as.

How does this look so far?
Funnily enough, I have a cat/bat hybrid swordie in my project as well, though the similarities end there.

How old is Weevle supposed to be again? I'm assuming this would make Shae another very small character as well.

I'm curious as to how the Dreadmaw works overall. Would you consider it to be its own entity or is it just a substance that can be useful or dangerous depending on how it's used?

In this case, I like the core idea for the playstyle, and the story is intriguing though I'm not completely sold on it personally. I'd need more details to get a better idea of both Shae and the Dreadmaw's place in the universe/story.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Overall, I really like the idea for NODE (the character concept itself, not so much the backstory tbh), though this is a case where I think having them debut in a 3D game would suit them the best given their design being rudimentary polygon shapes. Based on your descriptions I imagine them as a sort of composite version of Smash's Fighting Polygon Team and the Alloys.

Some additional points:
  • You'd better have a really good meaning for the DOTCOM acronym, otherwise it's going to be the bad kind of cheesy.
  • Up Special and Up Hyper could use a name change as their actual function and the naming association with the x and y axis don't match up.
  • Given their appearance and intended odd movement, this is definitely a character to save for a future update rather than base. While they're intended to be made of simple shapes, the animations themselves would need to be more complex to really sell the movement/shapeshifting that they're capable of.
On Ahab, I intend to go forward with the revision from my write unless you have anything other recommendations to make.

As for EPSILON, I'd like to hear what the reworked plot for Sigma Busters is going to be, I still had every intent of making a rework for them, but if you're changing the story, that's something I want to keep in mind.

Funnily enough, I have a cat/bat hybrid swordie in my project as well, though the similarities end there.

How old is Weevle supposed to be again? I'm assuming this would make Shae another very small character as well.

I'm curious as to how the Dreadmaw works overall. Would you consider it to be its own entity or is it just a substance that can be useful or dangerous depending on how it's used?

In this case, I like the core idea for the playstyle, and the story is intriguing though I'm not completely sold on it personally. I'd need more details to get a better idea of both Shae and the Dreadmaw's place in the universe/story.
Yeah N.O.D.E.'s design may not work the best in 2D, I overall am trying to have a purposefully rudimentary and technologically primitive design for them since they are a flawed prototype. Looking at my biggest references for N.O.D.E., Necro and Twelve from SF3, they have relatively simple designs, with Twleve in particular having this eerie aesthetic to him due to his jerky movements and strange abilities. Maybe instead of polygons it can be a mass of nanomachines made into a roughly bipedal child-like shape, with their Gene Contortionist acting as Iron Man's Arc Reactor as a device to keep them alive, just of course placed on the backside.

I also enjoy Ahab's rework, my main issues just boil down to some weird formatting in certain places, like the Hypermax Attacks. Of course Aremi should be the focus since they are the first character worked on.

The rework I gave to the story came from a realization that there were some holes in the plot. I feel 24 AI cores for the Double Sigma would be too out-there, while having just one to focus on would make the story more condensed. Plus, every character has their own stories to follow with their own groups. Ahab, Wyrm, Tamm, and Kowalski are rebels on the run from poachers, Levi and Wynnie work together to take down the infamous poacher Chell, while uncovering a governmental conspiracy in the process. While Aremi accidentally stows herself away towards the Double Sigma, so now she is trying to find her way back home, but her naivety combined with her learning about her planet's past with the Double Sigma makes her a good candidate for LAMBDA to convince her to join their team of galactic conquest, uncovering if the AI's a villain or secretly a hero, with Aremi and Weevle forming a strangely wholesome older younger sister dynamic. I don't know where Erycles comes into the equation, though.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Yeah N.O.D.E.'s design may not work the best in 2D,

Just so there are no misunderstandings, it can work, I was just pointing out how perfect it would have been in a 3D game where they could actually be made of basic polygons as opposed to sprites. I genuinely really like the idea (or at least what I imagine from your concept.)

Maybe instead of polygons it can be a mass of nanomachines

That's incredibly vague though? Nanomachines could literally be in any shape. Lore wise, you could add the nanomachine angle, but it doesn't necessarily need to be a replacement for the polygon aesthetic. Up to you though, if you want to drop the polygonal look, just let me know what the new angle will be.

made into a roughly bipedal child-like shape,

This is something I actually forgot to ask earlier. Do you think we have enough variety in character sizes? I feel like a lot of the cast skews on the smaller side (Weevle, Aremi, Wyrm and Shae/NODE if you want to count them) with even Levi and Wynnie being somewhat on the smaller end due the Star Fox inspired proportions. We do have a good amount of tall/large characters like LAMBDA, Rudder, Ahab, but if feels like there's an absence of characters that could occupy that middle ground. I think Chell comes the closest proportionally, but then again, she's meant to be really tall too.

Also, with the potential additions of Shae and NODE I feel like the age group (or at least "child-like" characters) overall is a bit skewed as well.

I also enjoy Ahab's rework, my main issues just boil down to some weird formatting in certain places, like the Hypermax Attacks. Of course Aremi should be the focus since they are the first character worked on.

I still intend to work on Aremi (and Levi) before Ahab, I was just mentioning that I think he's at a good spot where sprite work could actually begin for him too.

The rework I gave to the story came from a realization that there were some holes in the plot. I feel 24 AI cores for the Double Sigma would be too out-there, while having just one to focus on would make the story more condensed.

Not much I can really comment on there. I'm kind of in the dark on the overall scope of the story in the first place. I only know a few snippets from the character bios and a couple of other comments you've made every now and then.

While Aremi accidentally stows herself away towards the Double Sigma, so now she is trying to find her way back home, but her naivety combined with her learning about her planet's past with the Double Sigma makes her a good candidate for LAMBDA to convince her to join their team of galactic conquest, uncovering if the AI's a villain or secretly a hero, with Aremi and Weevle forming a strangely wholesome older younger sister dynamic.

That at least answers some of my questions of what the heck Aremi's involvement was going to be. Interesting direction, curious to learn more.

I don't know where Erycles comes into the equation, though.

As I've mentioned before, Erycles is trying to track down and bring some kids back home who try setting out for the Double Sigma in search of adventure. Not his kids, but some of the locals in the port town he calls home. He settled there as a sort of loner outsider at first but wound up becoming a pillar of the community over the years. It's a small town with most of the locals being working families and aging fishermen, so he takes it upon himself to go out on their behalf being the only one with experience actually traveling to more dangerous parts of the galaxy given his past as a smuggler.

So, with him and the other characters I have in the works, they obviously get some kind of motivation to go to the Double Sigma and wind up fighting people, but none of them are intended to be directly involved with the main plot so as to not clash with your plans for the story.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Yeah I was bringing up some alternatives, though I do think N.O.D.E.'s original design concept can work in 2D, just worth some experimentation. In case your wondering I do like the polygonal aesthetic, so maybe focus on that instead.

Also yeah I should slow down on the child characters, maybe I can do a more unique age group, I doubt there are many elderly platfighter characters huh?

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Hey Kirbeh Kirbeh how has the other reworks been going, my progress has been going well, albeit a bit slow due to school.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Similar to you, slow due to work. I've barely touched them this week but I have a shorter shift on Saturday so I'll try to work on them then.
Cool to know, thx for the info

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I do have a colored WIP for the LAMBDA redesign tho

I do like the red and black color scheme. Btw Weevle should get a red and black alt modeled after this.

In fact I have some Weevle alt ideas

Queen Bee - Yellow and Black, based off a... bee
Kombat Kolors - Based off the color scheme of D'vorah from the Mortal Kombat games
LAMBDA's Legion - Red and Black, based off LAMBDA's color scheme
Reclusive Rags - Brown, based off a brown recluse spider

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I'm satisfied with Levi's design, but Wynnie is one that I felt still needed some work. You can ignore the random outfits here, the primary focus here is on the face, hair and horns. Once I settle on a head, I'll work on the clothes/armor.

wynnielineup.png

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I'm satisfied with Levi's design, but Wynnie is one that I felt still needed some work. You can ignore the random outfits here, the primary focus here is on the face, hair and horns. Once I settle on a head, I'll work on the clothes/armor.

I like the first one the best, compliments Levi's design well, plus it's simple and memorable, lacking any overdesigned qualities.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I like the first one the best, compliments Levi's design well, plus it's simple and memorable, lacking any overdesigned qualities.
First one as in design A, or the top left being B? If you prefer the face of one and the horns of another, etc. let me know as well. These were just a few brainstorm doodles; I can mix and match pieces if you'd like. And again, ignore the outfits in this, they're not meant to be representative of her actual design.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
First one as in design A, or the top left being B? If you prefer the face of one and the horns of another, etc. let me know as well. These were just a few brainstorm doodles; I can mix and match pieces if you'd like. And again, ignore the outfits in this, they're not meant to be representative of her actual design.
Top left, Option B, like the face and horns combination of that design the best

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Top left, Option B, like the face and horns combination of that design the best
B it is then.

Next up is EPSILON, but the sketches aren't finished so that'll have to wait for another day. Unlike Wynnie where most of the designs were focused on different heads, the EPSILON designs are drastically different from each other, so we'll see how that goes. For now, though, I'm off to bed. Good night!

Top Bottom