• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Side B and Down B Differences?

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
No, Really. 1 Difference besides just that the Side B is instantly charged and his Down B needs to charge.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
I think there are enough differences from Brawl that we will need to make smash4-specific write-ups.
Obviously I will do this as soon as I get the game lol.

But it looks to me that the differential between side-B vs. down-B in brawl and smash4 is much the same. Where the games are different, they are likely to be different in the properties of both of the spindashes.

For example, the properties of SDJ (Spindash Jump, i.e. what happens if you hit the jump button either while charging one of the spindashes, or when you press jump while it is rolling along the ground) seem to be quite different between the two games. In Brawl, SDJ was the same no matter if it was started from a side-B or a down-B. I don't know if that's true in smash4, but probably.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
SDJ was the same for both in Brawl only if they were already in the SDR. DownB could do VSDJ, but not SideB. :applejack:

infomon

Smash Scientist
No, Really. 1 Difference besides just that the Side B is instantly charged and his Down B needs to charge.
In Brawl, side-B charged by holding it down, and the speed/strength of the roll afterwards depended on how long you charged it. Up to a max of 2 seconds, and it would pull farther back during the charge up to max speed.

Down-B charged based on how much you hit the button, and the charge would deteriorate over the charge time when you're not hitting the button. So down-B can charge faster than down-B if you hit the button quickly enough.

At full charge, both would have the same speed/strength of roll. Amount of damage was proportional to the speed.

On release, down-B hops up first, whereas side-B goes straight.

In Brawl, down-B would have a hitbox in the air, and it would be stronger if you were leaning the control-stick forward in the air. Side-B had a hitbox during its little hop, but not afterwards until it lands on the ground. Down-B could be shield-cancelled when it lands on the ground, but side-B could not. So Down-B was better unless you wanted the hop (either as an attack, or to help recover). The hop even had a few invincibility frames.

Many of these properties may have changed in smash4 though.

D

Deleted member 245254

Sonic's Side B can do this funky thing now where you can jump with it fully charged and you can release it at any time. It's mad crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHUcv14bShA

ignore the SD, its the only vid i have right now of it being used
Not necessarily.

You can't release it in the air. If you release the input while still in a jump, it will wait for you to hit the ground before initiating the animation,.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It's pretty cool that it retains the charge though. Also it looks like it can eat projectiles well. Pretty rad.

:093:

Top Bottom