• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shy Guy's art (Warning 56kers) Same old crap, maybe a little better

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hello and welcome to my topic. I make original characters and original monsters. You may remember some of them from my temporary account, 'Hawkeyes'. I have improved drastically from the crap I used to post, so to break the ice, here is a new picture:

http://photobucket.com/albums/a117/...rrent=BeatrixMalphasEXECUTIONLineart3poin.jpg

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/22523505/

Anyways, the characters here are Beatrix and Malphas. Malphas, a villain, is about to impale her with his signature technique, 'Execution Finger'. This uses the curse of decaying (His power is the ability to draw curses out from people and use them to his advantage) and focuses it on Malphas' index finger. He then thrusts forward and impales the target on his finger, the decaying energy quickly eating away at the flesh and bone.

By the way, Beatrix is blind. Her eyes always look like that and as a result she wears sunglasses at all times. Her weapon is a sound-gun, but Malphas dismantled her of that and her glasses...

Thanks for looking/reading, I really appreciate it. I may decide to add a background later, so check back for that and new pictures. : )

Liku

Smash Journeyman
Pretty good, but you lineart could use some touching up. Preportions are off, things seems very elongated. That just might be your style.

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks Liku. I have trouble with the arms but I am slowly making them in better proportion. The legs are part of my style, I suppose.

Anyways here is some very recent work. Recent as in I finished them yesterday.

Beatrix Versus Pico
DOA

Troy

BRoomer
BRoomer
eh..arms don't work independantly from the shoulder. if you want the arm to move, you need to show the shoulder moved also. they just look funny, kind of bothers me..

Not bad otherwise ^_^

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
A quick note: if she was blind, she'd still have the slight shading of an eyeball. They way it looks to me is like her eyes just got erased. Overall really good, though.

Liku

Smash Journeyman
Very creative, I like that scythe she's holding in DOA. Reminds me of Silent Hill.

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
I use Photoshop 7 to color. I like your art. :)

Here are two new ones I did recently. Got to get better...Much better.

Marooned
The Poker-Faces

Thanks for all the comments and advice, guys. :)

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks for the comments, guys. I appreicate 'em and take them to heart. I have to improve so I can get into EnterVoid. That will be good practice for my goal: To become a comic book artist. Anyways, that's in the distant future...So until then, here is some new work.

Inking practice (Old to new).

One week or so ago.

Couple of days ago.

Today.

Now for the colored picture:

The Trooper

I'd post it with image tags but I already flooded the topic with images.

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've got two new ones. I am trying to stray away from colors for awhile in favor of focusing on inking...

Disguises

I am taking a Graphic Arts and Design course so hopefully my Photoshop skills will also improve with my regular skills. :)

By the way I am going to draw a comic of my friend's character Reena, a half-dragon girl, versus my character Lotos, the girl with the seed in her hand and scarf.

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thank you for the comments and reply (I hate triple posting). :)

Here are two more, both are colored. The second one is part of my Void entry (Shhh) but I have to do a back shot and a zoom in of some details. Then we have the sequentials, win and lose pose to do, so look forward to those.

...I hope I get in!

EDIT: Here is color.

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've been working overtime because I didn't get into Void. Got to improve like crazy, so here's some new stuff:

Color:

Ink:

Pencil (Unfinished, crits NEEDED):

Thanks for all comments. You guys rule.

Tri_taga

Smash Cadet
Very strange style... But your coloring definitely good, and one thing i noticed about your art is its EXTREMELY creative! All sorts of monsters, styles, and idea's which i think are pretty cool.

One thing you're lacking though is just overall angles and proportions, (Which I have trouble with too, dont worry ^^""), need a little work, and that comes with practice, and if you really want to go farther (Like me), study some other work. I read into MANY manga books, and studying angles, looking at face proportions, and emotions, help ALOT!

And that pencil sketch? Pose is really cool, and i think the mouth is actually drawn at the right place (I never draw chin-up ppl). Only thing is the arms- if a right arm was actually like that, i think it would be broken ^^""

Good job! Seriously, keep practicing, and you'll DEFINITELY get better :p

Legomaxx

Smash Journeyman
I definitely like the creativity that comes with your art style. Very nice job Shyguy!(i'll go with shyguy) Your coloring overall is very nice as well.
One thing i might suggest is working on your anatomy...anatomy does bring your art to life. Unless, of course, that is already your style of drawing, i would suggest studying the human anatomy and taking it from there.
Also dont forget to practice the detail of clothing. You obviously have very creative and original clothing on your characters, but you should study how it is clothes bend, fold, and turn on the human body. If you practice and practice and continue to take advice you will def get better. If you draw with more detail it will def. make your art stand out.
Above all keep it coming, i would love to see your progress!

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks for all the advice guys. I will be sure to learn clothing folds: I know I have no idea how to do them. I am studying human anatomy from the Loomis books currently.

Anyways, here's some new art:

Finished the pencil, (I realize the wrists are too thick):

Tried line shading and coloring for the first time:

Also working on some sequential art. If I want to get into Void I must atleast understand the basics. So far I'm not getting too far, but that's what practice is for.

Finally, am I improving in my curves? This is what will make my art look less stiff...So I need to know how to improve that. Thanks again.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
I suggest you take some life drawing classes(like the nude and stuff)...this will help you to learn some proper anatomy, and will also help to get your art looking much more dynamic. Also, try drawing some realistic, non-stylised character drawings with proper proportions and and stuff; you have to learn the rules before you can break them.

And a general tip for drawing...just try being very very loose with your lines, and start by drawing the basic pose with just a couple of curves. Then block in the basic shapes, still keeping very loose, and when you have all of that, THEN you can start on the details. You may not like the results at first, but if you keep practising doing this every day, you will get much better. I would also suggest visiting some art forums like Eatpoo and Gingerbox...

You have some great talent and you are extremely creative and motivated...if you can nail these issues, you will be awesome...but yeah, life drawing, very important...

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
I feel like I'm just ignoring you, FDV, by posting again. Afterall, I haven't done a single life drawing since I last posted...

But anyways, I'm going to dump off some work to see if I improved even a bit. If it helps, I do visit Polykarbon and Entervoid...I am too shy to post most of my work there, but that will change. I am also studying the figure drawing book by Andrew Loomis and use it for reference often...

So yeah...Birthday post, here's some new crap:

I draw too big so I don't get to draw feet very often...But that will change too. I know what a good foot looks like now, so look forward to feet: They're no longer in hibernation!

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
Proportions are beyond ****ed ip in this one, I didn't want to post it, but decided to because it goes with my fanart 100 thing:

This is my best work I think:

This is most recent:

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Dude, I love the first one in your last post, sure the proportions are still wrong, but it just looks so much more trendy and stuff, and the style looks a bit different, and it looks much looser and less detail-oriented. And despite the odd proportions, you also have some nice curves and shapes going on in the body, much better than your previous work.

In general, this latest stuff is looking way more dynamic and stuff with the poses...keep it up...

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks FDV (A couple months too late to be thanking you though...haha). I'm going to update again.

Got a lot for you guys, even some characters I didn't make up for a change. So here goes.

Did this for an Entervoid art jam. Beatrix is mine, but the rest are copywrite to their seperate owners. This picture sucks, I think, but it was worth posting to show you I could draw more than my own characters.

Needed to color again.

More recent, still in progress:

Ignore the HORRIBLE right hand and huge head. This was just to practice foreshortening which I have to learn.

Critiques are welcome...Especially on hands, I suck at 'em.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Cool, stuff, there is a huge improvement, but you still need to work on the structure and anatomy. I would recommend not touching inks for a while, your pencil ones look much better.

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks FDV. I always appreciate your help. Here's some pencils...

Shy Guy, do you use computer art or actually draw draw?
Draw, I couldn't ever see myself using a mouse or tablet...Too hard.

I'll add a background to this last one and even though I know my inks don't add anything to my pics and often probably make them less fluid...I will probably ink it so I can color...Besides it's too light now. From left to right: Beatrix, Gator, Lotos, Sirius, Malphas, Treget, V., and Harry.

I have to draw more males so I decided to draw all my characters (Something I have never been able to do before. Also more feet...Where I often run out of room to draw. This won't happen as often hopefully.

Also, I am probably going to be posting some more technical stuff soon. Anatomy studies, gesture studies...etccetera. I have a file of all the Loomis books and have to put it to good use!

Give some crits, I know that group shot looks pretty bad, especially Harry.

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
Warning! Large images!

Dammit! I was almost done making a post with all the images when I Xed it out by accident. :(

I'll sum up what I was saying: I lied again...I didn't do any anatomy/gesture studies. Anatomy studies, I could have done those (Study of seperate body parts etc.) but the gesture studies are another story. I looked on google/deviantart but I couldn't find anything good to help me along. How exactly do I do a gesture study? Chime in if you know!

Well here's what I've been doing the past couple of weeks...

And finally stuff from my sketchbook that is unfinished and never will be. I noticed I have a hard time drawing front view (I never do it anymore which is foolish). So I decided to draw a few front views. Various other crap like V. as a child, a new dress for Beatrix, etcetera. It's too big to show here, so click the link if you want.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/6140/fillerstuffs2gz5.jpg

Sorry once again for not improving much. I realize if I don't improve my anatomy/poses/coloring soon everyone will lose interest in my art. So I have to get on that... (Or maybe I'm just being emo? Heh.)

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
I like that coloured piece, you are getting better at that, and I do see a big improvement from your older stuff. One thing that did occur to me that would make your stuff much more dynamic and less stiff is to start off with gesture lines. They are not something that you have to limit to gesture studies, but are good to use all the time. Start off your drawing with a few basic gesture lines; some basic S and C curves that can define your pose with very few lines (for example, one curve could depict the flow of the spine, legs, and head etc.). The simpler and more flowing it is the better. Once you have done this, move on to the basic structure of the character, but following the gesture lines as a reference.

As for gesture studies, just go out in public and try to capture people in just a few gesture lines, moving on to another drawing every few seconds.

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
I didn't want to post till I had some good colored pencils but I want to see if I'm showing any improvement at all. Sorry for doing the same old stuff, but I'm going to show some bad still life as well. I'll change the sizes if they bother anyone.

I'll do them chronogically. These first two are Octoberish.

Comic made in October. As you can see I need lots of work before I can get into Void. Of course, I may have improved...? Use the link to see, I don't want my post flooded with pics, heh.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/JillSandwhich/BeatrixIntroComicPage1NewSmall.jpg?t=1166495562
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/JillSandwhich/BeatrixIntroComicPage2NewSmall.jpg?t=1166495562

Two of my best still lifes from art class.

New stuff.

Art class project cover for a comic. Too bad I lost it (Colored it too). :(

Tried a dynamic pose!

NEXT UPDATE: Colored pencil works, new comic, more still lifes, and more!

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
To be honest, I don't see anything really different to your last update, but you are slowly getting better. I think it might actually be a good idea to join void now anyway, it would give you lots of practice, and you would probably get some good help from the community there as well.

Also, I would reccommend drawing some other characters too, not just these ones you have made up; it's good to have your own creations, and your own entourage of sorts, but you seem to have a really ingrained style and technique that you're going to keep using for them. Try drawing different superheroes and comic book characters, and just other random characters of your own creation. Also, try experimenting with different art styles, as well as putting your own spin on existing stuff. And go out and draw from life too!

For the dynamic pose, you have limbs flailing in all directions, and it doesn't really flow well. I think the hips are rotated too far in comparison to the rest of the body, they could be a bit more side on imo. And I dunno about the positioning of the head.

There will be an art contest happening soon, and perhaps weekly/fortnightly art jams too, keep your eyes out for those! Also, don't forget to offer some comments on other art threads too. If we all do this, the AE will be a much better place.

Shy Guy

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow I haven't updated in almost six months. FDV, you'll probably be dissapointed to hear I've been doing nothing different. I still haven't tried getting into Void...BUT I plan to post a new topic in the forum's 'Incubator' later tonight (Hopefully). I have done more than just my own characters in the art classes I am taking, and once I get those projects back, I will BE SURE TO POST THEM. I also have a request from a friend to draw her and her boyfriend (From a photo, I know its NOT the best way to learn but it's a good start I think). So I will definetly get those things posted, I'm sorry for being a lazy jerk.

Anyways, I did however start drawing more characters with SOME NEW ONES!!! I think I made up five since I last posted (Two don't have names though). Mostly thanks to Evil Eye, he helped me create them :), so thanks EE!

Well enough talk, have a look:

February:

My main three characters.

V and Pico.
March:

Lotos.
April:

May:
New character, D.

Most of my characters, I kind of don't like it though.

Lotos and some new characters, unnamed race, unnamed characters (They are a kind of fish people).

And the character I HOPE to submit to Void, Ms. Erin Sharque, just finished this like an hour ago.

Top Bottom