• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shulk Recovery Glitch Solution

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I love how most of the comments are about the strange cosplay and not the video that is helpful to some shulk mains.
considering that the cosplay choice was Shulk stripped of all equipment besides his Monado and essentials, it's no surprise. compared to previous cosplays, this one is easy for anyone with a Monado prop.

I wasn't referring to the good things like wave dashing but bad glitches and bugs like phantom hits, the game bringing you back to the start screen during the match, and Ice Climber players.
besides... there's a fine difference between glitches and exploits...

Last edited:

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Fixed your post for you.

"Glitches" in melee (and I use that term very loosely) can be used to make the game faster, better, and give it a higher skill ceiling.

Glitches in smash 4 cause your up b not to work, or Pacman to jank you through solid ground.

Again, if they spent less time thinking up ways to remove depth / techniques / advanced mechanics from the game, and more time programming the game so it actually works... it might just be as good as smash 64 or melee.
More mechanics means more ways to potential create undesired effects. Smash 4 has more characters/stage/items interactions so it's only normal there's more potential for weird glitches.

I mean, I know you're the regular "Melee is godlike/Smash 4 is casual garbage" idiot around here, so of course you'll jump on the first glitch that's pointed out to prove your point, even though Melee is also filled with silly glitches (Samus grapple beam, Ness yo-yo, Toon Link boomerang jump, playing as Master Hand, etc), just wanted to point that out.

Smash 4 is genuinely well made, from a development perspective. But you're entitled to your (wrong) opinion.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
I've been using Shulk since the beginning, and I never noticed this before.

Mainly because I check if I have Jump on when getting launched and in hitstun.
Though Isuppose it doesn't matter, but I have my second jump.

Will keep this in mind from now on.

Hoping it gets fixed.

I mean, I know you're the regular "Melee is godlike/Smash 4 is casual garbage" idiot around here, so of course you'll jump on the first glitch that's pointed out to prove your point, even though Melee is also filled with silly glitches (Samus grapple beam, Ness yo-yo, Toon Link boomerang jump, playing as Master Hand, etc), just wanted to point that out.
Disregard all those glitches.

Melee has the invisible ceiling glitch and the Phantom hit glitch which severely affects the outcome of matches.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Warning Received
More mechanics means more ways to potential create undesired effects.
Smash 4 has less mechanics than melee. They removed half of what makes smash a good game. To be fair though this trend started in Brawl so it's not all smash 4s fault.

Smash 4 has more characters/stage/items interactions so it's only normal there's more potential for weird glitches.
What the hell is an "item" ??

I mean, I know you're the regular "Melee is godlike/Smash 4 is casual garbage" idiot Sane person around here
Fixed. Any smash player worth his salt knows this to be true.

Smash 64 is the only one that's godlike to me btw, melee is a close 2nd.

Melee is also filled with silly glitches (Samus grapple beam, Ness yo-yo, Toon Link boomerang jump, playing as Master Hand, etc), just wanted to point that out.
All of which can be used to make the game more fun.... kind of the opposite of your up b not working which last I checked wasn't a problem in melee, or smash 64. Also, super wavedashing is awesome.

Smash 4 is genuinely well made
For children, yes. Yes it is.

Last edited:

Crimson Ace

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlackestKnight
3DS FC
2681-0941-8621
I'm not sure this is a glitch, the exact same thing happens to Diddy when he uses the kick of side B. He's not in free fall, but he can't use any of his recovery moves.

AnEventHorizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aneventhorizon
Thanks so much for posting this, I'll definitely be able to incorporate it into my game. No more accidental SDs.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
All these people being uncomfortable have apparently never showered in their lives, or been to a beach/swimming pool/water park or something.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
So glitches in Melee are a God send but Smash 4 glitches make the game garbage?

Great logic guys...

(All bugs are bad)

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
So glitches in Melee are a God send but Smash 4 glitches make the game garbage?

Great logic guys...

(All bugs are bad)
It depends on what bugs/glitches they are. Glitches that hinder you suck, but glitches that help you do things faster/better don't. It's all subjective, even your statement about all bugs being bad is subjective. Trust me when I say this: there are beneficial bugs out there.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
It depends on what bugs/glitches they are. Glitches that hinder you suck, but glitches that help you do things faster/better don't. It's all subjective, even your statement about all bugs being bad is subjective. Trust me when I say this: there are beneficial bugs out there.
Which was the beauty of old school gaming before this obession with everything being connected to the internet and being patched every coupld of days until people stop playing the game. And even worse selling you half the game and making the other half DLC only....

The old method was awesome, a game was released, glitches and all with no way for them to be removed. Intelligent / skilled players find and take advantage of these glitches (one of the most fun parts of gaming IMO) and less skilled / scrubby players complain about them.

Exploiting glitches is one of the best parts of gaming. Especially if you are a speed runner.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
1:32 wavedashing, is that you...?
LOL :laugh:

Looked a lot like it.
You think that's good? You should see how far Monado Jump Shulk, or Hyper Jump Shulk, slides after touching the ground at max air speed!

Tbh, Shulk is kinda Melee. He's a very technical character. Often considered to have the highest learning curve. His Monado Art Landing Lag Cancel is kind of like L-Cancelling. That's why Project M players really liked my Shulk at a tournament I won. Shulk also has the Monado Art Run Cancel, which lets you use a tilt or whatnot out of a run (must plan it beforehand, however). Lots of little things to Shulk. I've seen people compare him to Melee Marth?

Oh, and he is a lot of fun to use.

Last edited:

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Seriously, why is this game so badly programmed?
I mean it's not like Melee is much better with the IC sideb freeze and glitching through middle of pokemon stadium. Besides, this will be patched sooner or later.
Even some of mr. GnW aerials can't be l-cancelled, which I'm pretty sure l-cancel is intended to be in melee.

Last edited:

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Theories about Wobbles' retirement actually being that he got patched in 3, 2, 1...

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
ice climber players confirmed glitches
I'll bet you Icies were removed from Sm4sh because Sakurai couldn't figure out how to prevent desyncing.

@ Dylan_Tnga Dylan_Tnga I see you fishing for that warning ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yeah, Sm4sh bugs have been pretty bad so far. I find it hard to believe that people legitimately believe Melee was poorly designed, or is buggier than later games. The most gamebreaking bugs are incredibly difficult to pull off (ice climbers freeze glitch and name entry glitch) and even then they can be fun. The freeze glitch is still the best way to finish 15 minute Melee.
Anybody remember the wheel crates from Brawl? Those were fun to ride, but hell if you actually did it in a match. It would usually result in an SD.
For children, yes. Yes it is.
This might seem like a troll reply, but really it's true. Sm4sh was purposely designed to be far less technical than any of the past iterations. Brawl was meant to not "cater to a minority", the minority being older gamers from the Melee era. And Sm4sh really does follow in Brawl's footsteps, just with less BS. So there's a true argument that Sm4sh is genuinely well made for children, and not so much for the older generation of smashers. Anyways, I still like playing me some Sm4sh from time to time, so I'm glad that these bugs can be patched. 10$ says Shulk's Monado canceling will be patched out tho.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I'll bet you Icies were removed from Sm4sh because Sakurai couldn't figure out how to prevent desyncing.

@ Dylan_Tnga Dylan_Tnga I see you fishing for that warning ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Yeah, Sm4sh bugs have been pretty bad so far. I find it hard to believe that people legitimately believe Melee was poorly designed, or is buggier than later games. The most gamebreaking bugs are incredibly difficult to pull off (ice climbers freeze glitch and name entry glitch) and even then they can be fun. The freeze glitch is still the best way to finish 15 minute Melee.
Anybody remember the wheel crates from Brawl? Those were fun to ride, but hell if you actually did it in a match. It would usually result in an SD.

This might seem like a troll reply, but really it's true. Sm4sh was purposely designed to be far less technical than any of the past iterations. Brawl was meant to not "cater to a minority", the minority being older gamers from the Melee era. And Sm4sh really does follow in Brawl's footsteps, just with less BS. So there's a true argument that Sm4sh is genuinely well made for children, and not so much for the older generation of smashers. Anyways, I still like playing me some Sm4sh from time to time, so I'm glad that these bugs can be patched. 10$ says Shulk's Monado canceling isn't going to be patched out tho.
I mean, the whole series was made so everyone could play it.

Brawl and Smash 4 are easier but who says that is a bad thing?

~

Patches are a good thing, there is a lot of stupid I'd rather see gone than never patched at all. Even if some fun things vanished.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Didn't even know this is a thing. Happy that this is being addressed for people who do play Shulk! :3

Incidentally, @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill , I think the cosplay is a fun concept~ ;3

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
What happened to Shulk at 1:33?
That's a pretty cool trick. It looks like it has too much lag to be a useful landing, but perhaps it could be Monado canceled into a lagless recovery? Someone should look into this.

Huarbolo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
huarbolo
3DS FC
1435-5887-5069
That's a pretty cool trick. It looks like it has too much lag to be a useful landing, but perhaps it could be Monado canceled into a lagless recovery? Someone should look into this.
But do you know what actually happened?

Pikalink

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shining-Chi
3DS FC
1547-5757-5622
Oh now I see. I got grumpy yesterday against a Link when I couldn't recover. I thought I was going down hill with the character I spent months maining.
That monado in the cosplay though. Its lacking a blue line. Nit picky I know but I'm all for details.

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
But do you know what actually happened?
Yes, Shulk can dip down on the second strike of his recovery. The dip caused him to land prematurely. It's similar to how some characters in Melee (Peach, Ness) can cancel their 2nd jump due to it dipping in the first few frames.

Top Bottom