• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shulk Glitch - All Monado Powers in One

orochiwolf

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4098-3799-0637
http://youtu.be/igrOLAMYPXw

Here's a glitch found by Japanese Shulk main, 9B, showcasing that if Shulk is in Yoshi's egg the moment the Jump Monado wears off, Shulk will come out with one of each of his Monado traits at once.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
exactly as OP saids, Shulk gains ALL of the monado traits at once. Meaning, the negative traits are also added togeather. Video shows Shulks stronger damage + knockback, speed, and jump. The only downside is that he has less defense, as you can see he takes 20% from Yoshi's Fsmash compared to 19%

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Ah, I see it now. For some reason Shulk's own damage influences his damage output and damage received. What is that all about?

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I was talking about this:

Resolved my own confusion. I was reviewing the video and forgot to take into account that he had to set the glitch up with the Egg Lay method taking some damage in the process.

I understood the calculations but that just confused me for a second. This glitch is hilarious. The damage output reductions from Speed, Shield, and Smash don't change the fact that Buster's damage output still trumps vanilla. That actually surprises me.

Last edited:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
That's one way to tip the Yoshi MU in our favor.

And another character to help Shulk take advantage of his Arts in teams.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
This is a nice find.

It goes away when a new art is activated. It also goes away if you try to activate an art but then the symbol just goes away. For this reason, it cannot be doubled. Oh, and it also goes away on use of your final smash.

The version of air slash used appears to be the normal air slash, not the jump air slash.
Has this been tested with hyper monado arts?
It does work with hyper arts. Speed seems improved to me, but damage done, damage taken, and jump height seem the same. The best part about hyper arts for this is it makes it much more likely for it to happen.
Does it work if you cancel the Art while inside the egg? Or just if it cancels naturally?
It must happen naturally. You can't cancel the art while in the egg, and buffering doesn't do the trick.

edit: Decisive arts are the same too. It seems to be the same for all the customs. Hyper is definitely the best for this glitch, then.

edit2: Something's not right with this. If it truly multiplied all of the monado arts together, it would come up with a damage multiplier below 1 (.8 × .7 × 1.4 × .5 = .392)

In reality I got a multiplier of 1.25x. (figured out by doing pummels which do 3 damage each, pummeling 28 times total for 105 damage. 105/(28×3)=1.25.

What combination of monado arts makes 1.25 (or similar?)

Since buster is the only art that adds damage, it must be included. However, 1.4 × .8 = 1.12. All other damage multipliers are lower... so it must be a combination more complexity (like including the customs)

Last edited:

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
Looks promising for doubles but a slim chance to happen in singles. Still, hopefully when I get this I would have to get used to not using MALC for the meantime... it will be hard tho, I depend on MALC now ;_;.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
I wanna hear from shulk mains tho, Would you rather have this passive buff or prefer to use all 5 Monado's interchangeably?

Artryuu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Artryuu
3DS FC
5086-2093-6692
I wanna hear from shulk mains tho, Would you rather have this passive buff or prefer to use all 5 Monado's interchangeably?
I tried the 5 monado traits at the same time they are indeed fun to use and brings possibilities to new strings and follow-ups :p, so when I get the chance, of course I'll take it, but will certainly miss the MALC usage for the meantime. ;-;

Last edited:

SuperHyperMegaTurbo

Smash Cadet
Okay, I did some testing, and was unable to replicate this glitch using any other strange states, like while being inside Kirby or Dedede from their Inhale move, being bitten by Wario, or Flame Choked by Ganondorf. I also tried if it worked during shield jump state or standing shield stun, to no avail. Looks like only Yoshi's Egg Lay will do the trick!

Additionally, the glitch will happen with any Art, not just Jump, and the glitch will have the same effects.
With Hyper Monado Arts, the effect is not exactly the same, but very similar, with kill ranges differing by only about 3%.

As for the buffs, I've come to call this state "Super Smash" Shulk, because it's mostly really good for killing, since it increases knockback, and increases damage (which in turn, also increases knockback). There are minor ground speed and jump height buffs, but the only real mobility buff I find useful is the (slightly) increased air speed and (actually fairly well buffed) falling speed, but even so, they're not as useful as actual Jump or Speed Art buffs. Additionally, there is knockback taken reduction as well, so that's good (there is a damage taken nerf, but with lessened knockback taken, it doesn't matter as much).

Overall, it's a good state mainly because there aren't any nerfs, aside from the damage taken increase, and it lasts (seemingly) indefinitely. However, combo ability with it is low due to increased knockback, and the mobility buffs don't quite make up for the increased knockback. Like I said, though, good for killing.

While I would love to have this state at my disposal in singles play, honestly, it's basically only good because of the buffs without nerfs. All the regular Monado Arts are better than this at what they do, especially Jump and Speed, very much so. Truthfully, if I had to jump through hoops to get this in singles, or even doubles, it's not really worth it. I very much enjoy the normal Monado Arts, and I don't think finding a way to do this on command would be the Holy Grail of Shulkdom, just a good option if you can do it practically.

Additionally, it has another interesting effect: the endlag (and perhaps even the second slash attack animation itself) on Air Slash is played at a much faster speed, possibly 2 times as fast, making it safer: Shulk starts falling almost immediately.

I also felt like aerial landing lag was slower than usual, but this is likely my imagination (or does Jump Art reduce landing lag? I don't think it does, but maybe I'm just hitting the ground faster due to the increased fast-falling speed... maybe preventing autocanceling... hmm...).

To reinstate simply: I would still prefer the 5 regular Monado Arts, because the effects are better, they are switchable, and don't require jumping through hoops to get.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Okay, I did some testing, and was unable to replicate this glitch using any other strange states, like while being inside Kirby or Dedede from their Inhale move, being bitten by Wario, or Flame Choked by Ganondorf. I also tried if it worked during shield jump state or standing shield stun, to no avail. Looks like only Yoshi's Egg Lay will do the trick!

Additionally, the glitch will happen with any Art, not just Jump, and the glitch will have the same effects.
With Hyper Monado Arts, the effect is not exactly the same, but very similar, with kill ranges differing by only about 3%.

As for the buffs, I've come to call this state "Super Smash" Shulk, because it's mostly really good for killing, since it increases knockback, and increases damage (which in turn, also increases knockback). There are minor ground speed and jump height buffs, but the only real mobility buff I find useful is the (slightly) increased air speed and (actually fairly well buffed) falling speed, but even so, they're not as useful as actual Jump or Speed Art buffs. Additionally, there is knockback taken reduction as well, so that's good (there is a damage taken nerf, but with lessened knockback taken, it doesn't matter as much).

Overall, it's a good state mainly because there aren't any nerfs, aside from the damage taken increase, and it lasts (seemingly) indefinitely. However, combo ability with it is low due to increased knockback, and the mobility buffs don't quite make up for the increased knockback. Like I said, though, good for killing.

While I would love to have this state at my disposal in singles play, honestly, it's basically only good because of the buffs without nerfs. All the regular Monado Arts are better than this at what they do, especially Jump and Speed, very much so. Truthfully, if I had to jump through hoops to get this in singles, or even doubles, it's not really worth it. I very much enjoy the normal Monado Arts, and I don't think finding a way to do this on command would be the Holy Grail of Shulkdom, just a good option if you can do it practically.

Additionally, it has another interesting effect: the endlag (and perhaps even the second slash attack animation itself) on Air Slash is played at a much faster speed, possibly 2 times as fast, making it safer: Shulk starts falling almost immediately.

I also felt like aerial landing lag was slower than usual, but this is likely my imagination (or does Jump Art reduce landing lag? I don't think it does, but maybe I'm just hitting the ground faster due to the increased fast-falling speed... maybe preventing autocanceling... hmm...).

To reinstate simply: I would still prefer the 5 regular Monado Arts, because the effects are better, they are switchable, and don't require jumping through hoops to get.
Great info. How much does it raise kill percents above vanilla Shulk's?

Anyways, this seems better at higher percents based off of what you said. The (slightly) increased jump height, increased air speed, and increased knockback make this perfect for off-stage kills.

I'm going back to this now:
Something's not right with this. If it truly multiplied all of the monado arts together, it would come up with a damage multiplier below 1 (.8 × .7 × 1.4 × .5 = .392)

In reality I got a multiplier of 1.25x. (figured out by doing pummels which do 3 damage each, pummeling 28 times total for 105 damage. 105/(28×3)=1.25.
Maybe we are all looking at it wrong.

What if what we call Vanilla Shulk is a mode in the coding of the character (sub routine that debuffs using certain multipliers) which the coding is always directed to. When Shulk is in the Yoshi egg, the direction to that sub routine cannot happen, and so what you're left with is the unmodified version of Shulk. The shackles have been broken? Monado II?

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
erico9001 said:
What if what we call Vanilla Shulk is a mode in the coding of the character (sub routine that debuffs using certain multipliers) which the coding is always directed to. When Shulk is in the Yoshi egg, the direction to that sub routine cannot happen, and so what you're left with is the unmodified version of Shulk. The shackles have been broken? Monado II?
Maybe we're looking at a glimpse of what Shulk could've been/another imaginable huge buff for him...

SuperHyperMegaTurbo

Smash Cadet
These are minimum kill percents for Shulk attacking Yoshi from the center of an Omega stage.
This is without DI or anything, the Yoshi CPU in training was set to control, so there are no influences: hence, "real" kill percents, especially off the sides, are a little more.

Up smash:
(Please note that this is with the ground hitbox lifting Yoshi up to get hit by the top of the Monado's beam!)
Normal uncharged up smash will kill at 90%, and does 18%. Fully charged kills at 55%, and does 25%.
Normal Smash Art uncharged up smash will kill at 73%, and does 9%. Fully charged kills at 48%, and does 12%.
"Super Smash" Art uncharged up smash will kill at 66%, and does 22%. Fully charged kills at 34%, and does 31%.

Forward Smash:
Normal uncharged forward smash will kill at 104%, and does 18%. Fully charged kills at 65%, and does 25%.
Normal Smash Art uncharged forward smash will kill at 88%, and does 9%. Fully charged kills at 59%, and does 12%.
"Super Smash" Art uncharged forward smash will kill at 77%, and does 23%. Fully charged kills at 42%, and does 32%.

Down Smash:
Normal uncharged down smash will kill at 102%, and does 14%. Fully charged kills at 67%, and does 19%.
Normal Smash Art uncharged down smash will kill at 82%, and does 7%. Fully charged kills at 56%, and does 9%.
"Super Smash" Art uncharged down smash will kill at 77%, and does 17%. Fully charged kills at 45%, and does 24%.

Overall, perfectly executed up smash is godly...
In general, Super Smash Art is just really powerful all around, though still not incredibly more powerful than regular Smash Art at actually killing, just better because it does extra damage, too, and tons of it.

I didn't test Hyper Monado Arts in this, since this already took a while, but my short tests earlier indicate that the killing power is only a few % better than the normal glitch.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
These are minimum kill percents for Shulk attacking Yoshi from the center of an Omega stage.
This is without DI or anything, the Yoshi CPU in training was set to control, so there are no influences: hence, "real" kill percents, especially off the sides, are a little more.

Up smash:
(Please note that this is with the ground hitbox lifting Yoshi up to get hit by the top of the Monado's beam!)
Normal uncharged up smash will kill at 90%, and does 18%. Fully charged kills at 55%, and does 25%.
Normal Smash Art uncharged up smash will kill at 73%, and does 9%. Fully charged kills at 48%, and does 12%.
"Super Smash" Art uncharged up smash will kill at 66%, and does 22%. Fully charged kills at 34%, and does 31%.

Forward Smash:
Normal uncharged forward smash will kill at 104%, and does 18%. Fully charged kills at 65%, and does 25%.
Normal Smash Art uncharged forward smash will kill at 88%, and does 9%. Fully charged kills at 59%, and does 12%.
"Super Smash" Art uncharged forward smash will kill at 77%, and does 23%. Fully charged kills at 42%, and does 32%.

Down Smash:
Normal uncharged down smash will kill at 102%, and does 14%. Fully charged kills at 67%, and does 19%.
Normal Smash Art uncharged down smash will kill at 82%, and does 7%. Fully charged kills at 56%, and does 9%.
"Super Smash" Art uncharged down smash will kill at 77%, and does 17%. Fully charged kills at 45%, and does 24%.

Overall, perfectly executed up smash is godly...
In general, Super Smash Art is just really powerful all around, though still not incredibly more powerful than regular Smash Art at actually killing, just better because it does extra damage, too, and tons of it.

I didn't test Hyper Monado Arts in this, since this already took a while, but my short tests earlier indicate that the killing power is only a few % better than the normal glitch.
Wow! Okay, this is incredibly worth it.

Ryuji

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuji777x
3DS FC
0044-3176-2969
Haha this is beautiful! Now if only there was a way to get this 'Super Smash' Shulk working without Yoshi, this could make him one of the most deadly characters in the game!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Haha this is beautiful! Now if only there was a way to get this 'Super Smash' Shulk working without Yoshi, this could make him one of the most deadly characters in the game!
Imagine if you could get this from shieldbreak.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
so, wait a minute, let me see if I understand this properly...

if Shulk comes out of an egg just as a monado art expires, he'l gain all five effects and drawbacks at once... that means he'd run faster, he'd jump higher, his shield is supercharged, takes less damage, with increased damage output and knockback, BUT:

Shield lowers jump height and running speed, but not enough to balance his agility.
Speed and Smash lower damage slightly, but not enough to balance out Buster,
Buster lowers knockback, but not enough to balance out Smash,
Jump and Buster both reduce defense, so much that it overrides a part of Shield.
and
Jump and Smash causes you to get launched farther, but is balanced out by Shield.

so he jumps and runs a bit better than normal, has the strongest shield in the game, does more damage and knockback, but also TAKES more damage. if i'm getting this right, that's one HELL of a double edged sword if not utilized properly.

EDIT: watched the video, made adjustments to analysis.

Last edited:

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
case in point, this makes Super Skrull "Super Shulk" easily one of the most powerful glass cannons in the game. the shield helps a lot, but getting grabbed leaves you vulnerable... don't get grabbed, and Yoshis should bow to your might.

and this is assuming we don't have the Custom Arts in consideration, how long do the arts last again? and does activating the arts cancel the glitch or (god help us) does it stack?

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
evidently attempting the Final Smash counts as using an art, too... not that it matters much HERE

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
so, wait a minute, let me see if I understand this properly...

if Shulk comes out of an egg just as a monado art expires, he'l gain all five effects and drawbacks at once... that means he'd run faster, he'd jump higher, his shield is supercharged, takes less damage, with increased damage output and knockback, BUT:

Shield lowers jump height and running speed, but not enough to balance his agility.
Speed and Smash lower damage slightly, but not enough to balance out Buster,
Buster lowers knockback, but not enough to balance out Smash,
Jump and Buster both reduce defense, so much that it overrides a part of Shield.
and
Jump and Smash causes you to get launched farther, but is balanced out by Shield.

so he jumps and runs a bit better than normal, has the strongest shield in the game, does more damage and knockback, but also TAKES more damage. if i'm getting this right, that's one HELL of a double edged sword if not utilized properly.

EDIT: watched the video, made adjustments to analysis.
It doesn't seem like this to me. The multipliers just don't add up.
Something's not right with this. If it truly multiplied all of the monado arts together, it would come up with a damage multiplier below 1 (.8 × .7 × 1.4 × .5 = .392)

What combination of monado arts makes 1.25 (or similar?)

Since buster is the only art that adds damage, it must be included. However, 1.4 × .8 = 1.12. All other damage multipliers are lower... so it must be more complex than the simple combination of all multipliers.

D

Deleted member

JUMP
SPEED

SHIELD
BUSTER
SMASH

By your powers combined, I am SUPER SHULK!

D

Deleted member

If only we can find a way to utilize this without Yoshi.
Though, I have a strange feeling this will get patched some time sooner or later.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172

Anyways, this seems better at higher percents based off of what you said. The (slightly) increased jump height, increased air speed, and increased knockback make this perfect for off-stage kills.

I've been playing around with these numbers, still no luck. I suppose I could go and test this, but has it been confirmed that this Super-Shulk has the stronger shield? Because the thought crossed my mind that maybe the base assumption of "getting all 5 Arts at once" is wrong. If I get the chance, I might look at the damage-taken %'s, maybe that'll yield something.

On the other hand, solid theory about this "unmodified Shulk". Maybe when they coded, they made a beta-Shulk with all the Arts on one "mode", to play-test? Put theory into practise? Hard to say.

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I've been playing around with these numbers, still no luck. I suppose I could go and test this, but has it been confirmed that this Super-Shulk has the stronger shield? Because the thought crossed my mind that maybe the base assumption of "getting all 5 Arts at once" is wrong. If I get the chance, I might look at the damage-taken %'s, maybe that'll yield something.

On the other hand, solid theory about this "unmodified Shulk". Maybe when they coded, they made a beta-Shulk with all the Arts on one "mode", to play-test? Put theory into practise? Hard to say.
Good idea! I timed normal Shulk's shield time in 1/4x training mode. I got 25.92s. Divided by four, the actual time is 6.48s. For the buffed, "Super Shulk," I got 25.90s, which divided by 4 is 6.475. Obviously, the .005s difference is caused by me. I think this proves it, though. This shows that the shield strengths aren't combine, at least.

Here's anoher test. I measured the amount of time it takes to run across FD using the same method. I got 6.2s then divided by 4 and got 1.55s. Normal Shulk does this at 1.9s. Speed Shulk does this at 1.2s Well this is interesting, now: 1.55 is the average of 1.9 and 1.2, or the midpoint between the two numbers.

Umm I've done some testing of damage intake. Shulk takes the same damage as neutral Shulk. Yoshi's jab 1 does 3% damage. After 200 hits with the jab 1, Shulk is at 600% and has always been at a number totally dividable by 3. And yes, Shulk is in Super Shulk moade. The damage intake is the same.

Now I'll test knockback taken.
617% is when Yoshi'd D-tilt gets the red streak on Shulk from training mode spawn point. Between 666% and 675% is when the streak happens for Super Shulk (the positioning is, when yoshi is bending over, his nose touches Shulk's leg). The exact value for when in super Shulk would take a little while to find. It's clear, though, that it takes less knockback.

Oh that's weird, I just got a version of Super Shulk it that only does 10% damage with its jab combo. Jab combo normally does 12% damage, and it does 15% damage when normally in super Shulk. That's a little more damage than Speed Shulk's jab combo, which reads as 9%. Shield Shulk reads as 8%. I tested this one's damage intake as well, still the same. The timing of this was so that the Shulk egg had barely just come out of Yoshi's rear side when the art deactivated.

Also, we already know that it has better kill percents.

Anyways, there's not much reason not to use this if you have the chance to.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Good idea! I timed normal Shulk's shield time in 1/4x training mode. I got 25.92s. Divided by four, the actual time is 6.48s. For the buffed, "Super Shulk," I got 25.90s, which divided by 4 is 6.475. Obviously, the .005s difference is caused by me. I think this proves it, though. This shows that the shield strengths aren't combine, at least.

Here's anoher test. I measured the amount of time it takes to run across FD using the same method. I got 6.2s then divided by 4 and got 1.55s. Normal Shulk does this at 1.9s. Speed Shulk does this at 1.2s Well this is interesting, now: 1.55 is the average of 1.9 and 1.2, or the midpoint between the two numbers.

Umm I've done some testing of damage intake. Shulk takes the same damage as neutral Shulk. Yoshi's jab 1 does 3% damage. After 200 hits with the jab 1, Shulk is at 600% and has always been at a number totally dividable by 3. And yes, Shulk is in Super Shulk moade. The damage intake is the same.

Now I'll test knockback taken.
617% is when Yoshi'd D-tilt gets the red streak on Shulk from training mode spawn point. Between 666% and 675% is when the streak happens for Super Shulk (the positioning is, when yoshi is bending over, his nose touches Shulk's leg). The exact value for when in super Shulk would take a little while to find. It's clear, though, that it takes less knockback.

Oh that's weird, I just got a version of Super Shulk it that only does 10% damage with its jab combo. Jab combo normally does 12% damage, and it does 15% damage when normally in super Shulk. That's a little more damage than Speed Shulk's jab combo, which reads as 9%. Shield Shulk reads as 8%. I tested this one's damage intake as well, still the same. The timing of this was so that the Shulk egg had barely just come out of Yoshi's rear side when the art deactivated.

Also, we already know that it has better kill percents.

Anyways, there's not much reason not to use this if you have the chance to.
That's pretty odd that there's a second version of this Super Shulk. It hurts the theory that he's reverting to some incorrect default state, because you'd think it'd do the same whilst popping out of Yoshi.

Anyway, this is great. I have a friend who's a Yoshi user. *evil laugh*... next doubles. Next doubles.

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
I'm going to hate seeing this get patched. Is there any use or other special attributes in the 3DS version? Super Shulk on the go, gotta get tickets to see Shulkamania.

Sonny Franceschi

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonnyFranceschi
3DS FC
2879-0394-3794
he really feeling it with all m-arts, i find this scary, in a team battle this is legal?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

I am all for calling this Monado II. You win, sir.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
he really feeling it with all m-arts, i find this scary, in a team battle this is legal?
All down to what you tournament organisers think. It's not hugely broken or really easy to pull off, so as a biased TO, I don't mind it.

Top Bottom