• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shroom for the Stars: Captain Toad for Smash 4! CHAPTER 11: IT'S A MII; TOAD!

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
If Captain Toad sells well (or above expectations) and is well received, then we'll get somewhere

EDIT:

Unless, NINTENDO MARKETS IT POORLY LIKE THAT CERTAIN CONSOLE....
You mean, the Virtual Boy? :happysheep:

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
The Wii U
I know, I was kidding.

Oh goodness, I can see the horrible TV commercial now...

-Stupid kid walking around a Captain Toad stage
-Making stupid noises since he can't jump
-Getting brilliant idea to walk around and solve it in Captain Toad fashion
-Treasure Tracker gameplay
-Kid does stupid pose after getting the star.

.-.

A Captain Toad commercial using the song "You're the best" (Search it in YouTube) would be great

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I don't really "get" why Bowser Jr. exists. I mean, the Koopalings had an excuse: They were bosses for the first seven worlds, since the Bowser Suit was kinda stupid. But why does Bowser Jr.? It's not like the series needed a new antagonist. It's not like he's especially entertaining. There's very little they can do to make him interesting. I mean, I don't hate him, but to invoke the Eight Deadly Words:
"I don't care what happens to these people."
That basically means Bowser Jr. I even like the Koopalings more. Sure, Bowser Jr. was an OK one-shot, but I see no reason for him to be in Smash, FLUDD was MUCH better, and the character from Super Mario Sunshine I honestly want to appear in another Mario game. Bowser Jr. I'm fine with dropping off the face of the planet, although it'd be nice for him to stay in SOME form. Plus, apparently he took over the Koopaling's spot as Bowser's children.

Last edited:
berserker01 said:
Diamond collecting mechanics:
> Each diamond adds 3% damage to any attack that involves using the backpack
> It also increases your attack speed and dodge speed by a certain amount of 15%
> Maximum limit for containing diamonds is at 3
> While having at least one diamond, you walk as fast as Brawl Peach and dash as fast as Brawl Kirby
> While having no diamonds, you walk as fast as Brawl ZSS and dash as fast as Brawl Sheik
> Whether or not he has diamonds, his air mobility is still great. His falling speed by default is heavy
> Each diamond also weighs his falling speed down
> Each diamond also adds to the move's base knockback
> Each diamond adds to Toad's weight. Toad's default weight is on par with Ness. Maximum it can go is on par with King Dedede
> Can only be gained through mining while GROUNDED

-----------------------------

SPECIALS

Neutral B: Mine
> Adds 1 diamond to Toad's backpack
> While grounded, it does NOT damage
> Animation lingers as long as Ike's eruption
> In air, it deals 10% damage. Potent meteor smash

Forward B: Throw away
> Throws one diamond away which deals 18% damage
> Arc can be manipulated (Diagonal up/down or straight)
> Can do moderate shield damage
> Fast start-up

Hold Forward B: Empty
> Holding down forward B will make C.Toad empty his backpack. The disposed items act as projectiles
> Can do moderate shield damage
> Arc can be manipulated (Diagonal up/down or straight)
> All the diamonds still deal the same damage
> Somewhat slow start-up

Downward B: Wall pop-up
> Acts as a barrier
> Absorbs 25% damage
> As tall as Mario
> Can only summon 1 at a time

Upward B: Windmill platform (The ones where in you blow on the mic for it to move in SM3D World)
> High vertical, mediocre horizontal
> Deals 8% damage in 4 hits

-----------------------------

ATTACKS

(A) Turnip throw
- Throws a turnip which deals 8% damage
- Fairly spammable
- This is also Toad's attack when pressing A while in air
- The turnips are a bit floaty so it can last longer on stage

(Dash A) Mine cart
- Akin to Wario's bike except it's uncontrollable and you can only go at one direction
- Deals 9% damage
- Can absorb 15% damage. If the cart blows up (losing all its "health"), Toad receives 10% damage
- While dashing, you can press A to throw turnips which deals 8% damage each

(Forward A) Bag smack
- Smacks the target with your bag dealing a base damage of 11%.
- Has long range and high priority. Quick attack.
- Negligible knockback. It's only meant for for starting combos
- Diamond feint: Frontward direction hit

(Upward A) Headlamp intensify
- Aims headlamp upwards. Somewhat slow start up. Quick ending lag
- Deals no damage but it automatically stuns the target for 2 seconds
- Affects both grounded and air borne foes

(Down A) Coin pluck
- Plucks a leaf which releases a bunch coins from the ground
- Deals 9% damage in 3 hits. Quick attack. Can be reflected
- Was made to pop enemies up into the air.
- High hitsun
- Despite the sound of how the move functions, it's not really that much of a good anti-air. The coins occupy as much area as... let's say Toad's model and it pops up

right in front of him

(F-smash) Bag whip
- Whips the target with your bag dealing 15-23% damage. Long ranged attack. Slow start up
- High knockback
- Diamond feint: Frontward direction hit
- If you have at least one diamond in your bag, it can reflect projectiles
- If you have at least two diamonds in your bag, it deals high shield damage
- If you have at least three diamonds in your bag, it has some super armor

(U-smash) Chuck up
- Throws bag upward dealing 13-21% damage. Bag has no priority. Medium start up
- High knockback
- Diamond feint: Upward direction hit

(D-smash) Power star spin
- Ties a green star on a rope and spins around dealing 12-20% damage. Medium priority. Quick start up
- Above average knockback
- Reflects projectiles

(N-air) Turnip throw
- Throws a turnip which deals 8% damage
- Fairly spammable
- This is also Toad's attack when pressing A while in air
- The turnips are a bit floaty so it can last longer on stage

(F-air) Pack spike
- Spikes the target with the backpack dealing a base damage of 11%
- Meteor smash. Relatively quick start up

(B-air) Backward swing
- Swings pick axe backwards dealing 12% damage
- Very quick attack overall
- Mainly used as a combo stringer
- Hitting the opponent with the base of your pick axe will knock them away
- Hitting them with only the tip or "axe" part of the pickaxe has non-existent knockback but very high hitsun

(U-air) Whip up
- Similar to Marth/Lucina's except with a whip w/ a green star
- Deals 10% damage. Very long range. Juggle with it
- Minimal landing lag
- Covers a HUGE arc. Can also reflect projectiles

(D-air) Meteor Toad
- Dives downward dealing 14% damage. Relatively quick start up
- Meteor smash
- Similar to Sonic's dive kick or something like that

(Grab/Tether) Power star grapple
- Deals the same damage and functions similarly to Link's hookshot

Blah. Bored. Bags suck. Too complicated

Edit: Updated

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
What about the possibility of Nintendo announcing "Toad" as a generic Toad and playable character?

His default color I couldn't predict, but he would represent the appearance of Yellow Toad in NSMBW and NSMBU, the appearance of Blue Toad in NSMBW, NSMBU and SM3DW, the appearance of regular toad in spin-offs, Wario's Woods, SMB2, and in toad houses etc., plus the appearance of Captain Toad in the new game.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
What about the possibility of Nintendo announcing "Toad" as a generic Toad and playable character?

His default color I couldn't predict, but he would represent the appearance of Yellow Toad in NSMBW and NSMBU, the appearance of Blue Toad in NSMBW, NSMBU and SM3DW, the appearance of regular toad in spin-offs, Wario's Woods, SMB2, and in toad houses etc., plus the appearance of Captain Toad in the new game.
The chances of a regular Toad decrease dramatically with one being used in Peach's moveset.

Honestly, I would prefer the Captain Toad version anyway. He's a much more unique character overall and has more moveset potential.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
My ideal Toad to be in is Captain Toad (to shut up those naysayers about no unique Toads) with an alternate red-dotted blue-vest Toad (for the classic feel), as brought up before, similar to WarioWare Wario and purple and yellow Wario.

I can't help but wonder what amiibo will do...on one hand, it's a great way to introduce new playable characters that weren't originally in the game. On the other hand, if there's going to be lots of amiibo figures, I'm not sure if Nintendo would go through the trouble of making sure every one gets some kind of playable appearance.

Knowing Nintendo, Toad's probably gonna get left in the dust again...

I wonder how many Smashes and useless characters it'll take for Nintendo to finally realize that Toad is quite deserving...and don't make me go into my Rosalina rant again.

I know this is unrelated, but I just have to ask: does anyone else want really witty writing in Treasure Tracker? I mean, Toads are usually comedic relief (as they were in Galaxy), so it'd make sense, and we haven't had much witty writing since Galaxy 2. As much as I long for pure fun, it couldn't hurt to have the Toad Brigade crack a smile on our faces, right?

Last edited:

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Sakurai made a point of saying that her moveset is not finalized. Also, the move could easily pull an alfonzo and change color depending on the texture of the Toad being played as. And also, being generic, there is no need for one Toad with a blue vest and red spots to hit Peach, only to be countered by another toad with a blue vest and red spots.

You are not entirely correct with the moveset potential thing, see Super Smash Bros. Crusade.
I imagine toad with exactly the same moveset as in that game except that instead of throwing turnips for his down-b, a variable power up system where using down-b changes your power up. The power ups would be penguin suit, propellor mushroom, super acorn, and cat suit at least, possibly adding fire flower to that. Your neutral b and various other moves are determined by what powerup is equipped.

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Sakurai made a point of saying that her moveset is not finalized. Also, the move could easily pull an alfonzo and change color depending on the texture of the Toad being played as. And also, being generic, there is no need for one Toad with a blue vest and red spots to hit Peach, only to be countered by another toad with a blue vest and red spots.

You are not entirely correct with the moveset potential thing, see Super Smash Bros. Crusade.
I imagine toad with exactly the same moveset as in that game except that instead of throwing turnips for his down-b, a variable power up system where using down-b changes your power up. The power ups would be penguin suit, propellor mushroom, super acorn, and cat suit at least, possibly adding fire flower to that. Your neutral b and various other moves are determined by what powerup is equipped.
Recent screenshots have shown that her move with Toad has not been changed and will most likely be in the final game. The chances of a regular Toad are low, mostly because of that. You're right that it could possibly still work out, but I doubt that will end up being the case.

I never said that a regular Toad has no moveset potential, just that Captain Toad has more and is more unique. Captain Toad has everything that a regular Toad has as potential moves, plus stuff from Galaxy and Treasure Tracker/3D World.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
I know you're right, it's just every time I think of Captain Toad in the game under that name, I shudder and imagine Sakurai's announcement pic of the day:

"And now, a newcomer, Captain Toad! With the recent announcement of Treasure Tracker and rising popularity, we just couldn't keep this little guy down! Like in his game, Captain Toad cannot jump, but instead has blinding speed and powerful ground attacks. His heavy backpack also makes him one of the more difficult characters to K.O."

His lack of an aerial game will instantly confine him to his own tier at the bottom and he will become infamous as the worst inclusion to Smash of all time!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I am done now.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
And why won't my sig show!

Edit: oh there it is, but it's not on other posts!

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I know you're right, it's just every time I think of Captain Toad in the game under that name, I shudder and imagine Sakurai's announcement pic of the day:

"And now, a newcomer, Captain Toad! With the recent announcement of Treasure Tracker and rising popularity, we just couldn't keep this little guy down! Like in his game, Captain Toad cannot jump, but instead has blinding speed and powerful ground attacks. His heavy backpack also makes him one of the more difficult characters to K.O."

His lack of an aerial game will instantly confine him to his own tier at the bottom and he will become infamous as the worst inclusion to Smash of all time!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... I am done now.
I don't think Nintendo would be so evil as to make Captain Toad stay on the first level only. They'd probably just give him a super weak jump in return for strength and speed, but first we need Captain in the game.

I have to hand it to you, though, that's a really convincing Pic of the Day caption.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
They cannot keep Captain Toad's inability to jump in Smash. How's he going to survive in scrolling stages like Rumble Falls and Rainbow Cruise?

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
They cannot keep Captain Toad's inability to jump in Smash. How's he going to survive in scrolling stages like Rumble Falls and Rainbow Cruise?
I hated Rumble Falls...if any Brawl stages are to return, I hope it is not Rumble Falls.

But yeah, I see your point. I still stand by the really low jump with strength and speed.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Who would be the best character to reveal alongside Captain Toad?

Personally, I think Wario would be the best since he would be stealing treasure that Captain Toad worked so hard for.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo

Personally, I think Wario would be the best since he would be stealing treasure that Captain Toad worked so hard for.
Yeah, I'm kinda suspicious as to why Nintendo hasn't revealed Wario yet. Granted, he could just be in the game and have no trailer or anything, but it seems really weird...it would've made sense if he were kept behind doors if they were to announce Waluigi with him, but as we all know, he's already been de-confirmed.

The Toad and Wario rivalry has been buried for 20+ years. Perhaps, since Mario's rival is Bowser and he probably doesn't need two, now would be a good time to revive it? After all, who else would Toad's rival be? (I highly doubt Wart, as cool as that would seem.) What if Wario is the antagonist of Treasure Tracker, trying to steal all the Stars and Diamonds the Captain has been after? Or...Captain Toad had those treasures, but Wario took them and scattered them all over the place! (Don't know why he wouldn't just keep them, but this is Nintendo logic, right?)

Sorry, got off-topic there.

I don't think Nintendo would just leave him out overall. That would be too strange; Wario, though not as popular as many other Nintendo characters, is still fairly well known and he has a somewhat long-running series to back him up.

Perhaps Nintendo really is hiding something here...but we can't know for certain.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Wario might be revealed alongside the Chorus Kids if they are indeed in, I believe the same company works on both Rhythm Heaven and one of the Wario franchises.

More on-topic, Captain Toad is more of a DLC character, so if he's revealed alongside anyone it will be other DLC characters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm getting really anxious trying to wait for Toad to finally get into Smash.
I just want to take Sakurai and shake sense into him for thinking Toad never had any sense, though perhaps Captain Toad means that is a good thing, as now that nearly assures we will get a move set based entirely on the captain! I would be pretty bored with anything else, honestly.

I think the most unique element to Captain Toad is the 'use the environment to solve problems' because you CANNOT JUMP. The jumping would be a factor guys. Somehow CT would jump, but I think it would be by not really jumping, some visual that isn't literally jumping, but rather getting air.
The feel for Captain Toad is to use the world to solve your problems, and Captain Toad would need to do this.

Ironic enough, this would make him one of the MORE unique characters on the board. Take that you detractors! How Sakurai would make it work would... be difficult, yet knowing him, I know it would be inspirational.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Veteran Scenario:

As stated; the rivalry between these two used to be a thing; Wario's Woods, Mario 64 DS had Toad openly insult(but also fear) the Mario doppleganger and the two share bad chemistry in Mario baseball.

Wario also shares a love of treasure with Captain Toad, so there's a strong possibility the two could become treasure hunting rivals at some point.

Theoretical Double Newcomer reveal:

Both are unique members of the generic species of their game. Both serve a monarch as a leader of their respective species. Both have been shown to be capable of taking on dragons...before 'taming' them:

(cannot find a picture of Bandana Dee taking Landia on sadly)

Bandana Dee is probably the most similar individual to Captain Toad outside the Mario franchise so I could see the two being put on equal pegging.

That up + B maybe? Whatever it is. He's for sure going to still need an Up + B regardless of whether he does regular jumps or not.

When it comes to vertical scrolling stages however...I just hope Sakurai abandons that idea. They never work and are always the stage people ignore first in my experience.

In other news, if all else fails(which let's face it; it could very well), Toad fans may get a wooden spoon prize with today's PotD:

Which seems to line up with:
and

With that in mind....

Toad hat possibly? Obviously not the ideal result but what are your thoughts? Will you be making a Toad Mii if it comes to it?

Edit: Added berserker01's moveset to the OP and also updated the supporter list.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sure... a Mii Toad is nice and all but it's not the same as the real Toad. Mii Toad won't have moves that Toad would have.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Unfortunately the best picture I could find of the hat. That is particularly grotesque Mii though.

Far from ideal, a Brawler style Toad Mii may just tie me over until Smash 5(or 6 if you're Sakurai) for which I expect Captain Toad to be a serious contender should DLC not be a thing.

If he's not in Smash 5, I think I'm done with Sakurai.

If he's not in Smash 5, I think I'm done with Sakurai.
Like I said, the reception of his game matters. If people show that they do care about Toad (by buying the game), he'll probably think about it. Otherwise, don't expect anything

This also hinges on.... *sigh*.... the marketing strate--- *puke*

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Speaking of Toad Mii's....

[collapse=How it Looks]
[/collapse]

I was already planning on making him a Mii Brawler o uo"

editing on him is available if you don't like the blush/glasses/ w/e

Last edited:

[collapse=How it Looks]
[/collapse]

I was already planning on making him a Mii Bralwer o uo"

I like it. Just lacks the hat but overall, it looks like Toad (sans hat)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

[collapse=How it Looks]
[/collapse]

I was already planning on making him a Mii Bralwer o uo"

If the Mii Plaza hats do turn out to be Mii outfit pieces to collect, then that is going to look pretty good with that Mii hat I posted earlier.

Like I said, the reception of his game matters. If people show that they do care about Toad (by buying the game), he'll probably think about it. Otherwise, don't expect anything

This also hinges on.... *sigh*.... the marketing strate--- *puke*
Yep, yep...so far there seems to be a bit of a buzz about the game...but then there was about Wonderful 101 too and next to no one bought it, sooooo...yeah. He's in a good position it is pretty much upto Joe public if this is a hit or not.

We seem to be a bit low on puzzlers these days so here's hoping Captain Toad can help fill that niche.

(off topic; is Elsa wearing...a PINK dress in your avatar? Wha?)

Last edited:
Yep, yep...so far there seems to be a bit of a buzz about the game...but then there was about Wonderful 101 too and next to no one bought it, sooooo...yeah. He's in a good position it is pretty much upto Joe public if this is a hit or not.

We seem to be a bit low on puzzlers these days so here's hoping Captain Toad can help fill that niche.
IGN's doing their job so far (All the editors love the game) and it's gained the name: "Best NINTENDO spin-off in years" by Eurogamer.
(off topic; is Elsa wearing...a PINK dress in your avatar? Wha?)
Red dress

Fire element stuff

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I think it's because Wonderful 101 is an unknown IP. People are not familiar with this brand. People tend to be wary of new things, you know?

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
If they give toad a good recovery, they will still be able to give him no jump.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Anyone remember that rumor about toad in melee? Good times.
Remember when Nintendo respected Toad as much as the other Mario big eight?

Yeah, me neither. That seems to be changing now, though...

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
This...
Is beautiful.
...But Mario still kinda has to save the rest of them.
...And Peach.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
This...
Is beautiful.
...But Mario still kinda has to save the rest of them.
...And Peach.
Forget Peach. She can stay in another castle; serves her right after years of Toad abouse >:c

D

Deleted member

I finally found this thread :D! I need to throw in my support for our headlamp hero, making Mario feel like he needs more shrooms to keep up! I think he is the best DLC canidate, he could use moves from his new game, and things Toads do in past Mario games. Maybe he could summon blocks from thin air to jump, just for the :shaker: it would generate towards everybody who says he can't jump :troll:

Servine

Smash Cadet
I'm totally up for being a part of the Toad Brigade.
Imo, Mario has had 5 reps as far back as Melee (Brawl dropped it down to 4 but whatever), so having a 6th Mario rep isn't very farfetched. Plus, Captain Toad is such a unique and charming character with plenty of moveset variety. I really hope he gets in.

Top Bottom